Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Fuel Tank Vent Breather??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 350-4bbl-Edelbrock Headers
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Fuel Tank Vent Breather??

Have 86 Camaro, has a filter/breather on end of hose from gas tank, anyone know were i might find one. GM discontinued.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 96 LT-1
Transmission: 4L60E 2600 Stall Stage 2 Shift...
Re: Fuel Tank Vent Breather??

We're you ever able to find this part. If not, what was your solution to this. I just installed a new fuel pump and sending unit and this EVAP vent broke into a few pieces.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 AM

Car: 1988 trans am gta 5 speed t top
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 373

I ran into this problem. Zip tie a little screen over then end of the hose and let it hang. All that vent is is when the tank reaches too much pressure it purges it out I've had zero problem since then.. My tank was building massive pressure and I couldn't figure out why but I fixed it now )
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Car: 1988 Firbird formula 350
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Nine Bolt

If that's what your talking about, they are hard to find new. You might find a good used one if you look around. My understanding is that this is a vacuum relief valve not a pressure relief valve. It's supposed to let air in the tank if a vacuum develops from gas being sucked out, a situation that almost never happens with our cars. Most of us have problems with pressure build up in the tank which is a whole different issue this valve has nothing to do with. If you remove it and don't plug the line, you will relive the pressure in the tank but you will be venting raw fuel vapor into the air. I think you might get along just fine without this valve, but I would plug the line if you remove it.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank Vent Breather??-tank-vent-valve.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The remote vent valve on a 3rd gen serves a similar purpose to a vented gas cap. For emissions reasons, the factory doesn't want fuel vapors just wafting out of the tank into the atmosphere. They want them to push up the line that goes to the charcoal canister under the hood where it is captured and then purged and burned in the engine the next time you drive it.

As such, those valves typically serve TWO purposes. 1. As a vacuum relief- allowing air into the tank if a vacuum should develop 2. As a tank pressure control valve- holding in some pressure to work the charcoal canister system, but with an overload valve to allow it to vent to atmosphere if that pressure becomes excessive (so as not to damage or rupture the thin sheet metal gas tank).

As a vacuum relief, it takes almost no differential to suck air back into the tank through the valve. As a pressure relief it's got a spring-loaded one-way valve that takes some considerable pressure to open. More than you could possibly generate trying to blow through it with your mouth.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 96 LT-1
Transmission: 4L60E 2600 Stall Stage 2 Shift...

Thanks! So I should get away with installing a filtered one-way check valve, and vented cap it seems.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by K_Ceed
Thanks! So I should get away with installing a filtered one-way check valve, and vented cap it seems.
Yes that should be ok. Just another thought, I removed mine and cleaned it up and actually broke it free. I read somewhere that it should only take 1pound of pressure to collapse the diaphram. Perhaps you could remove the old one and try to get it broke loose. But as I stated above I left mine completely off.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Damon
The remote vent valve on a 3rd gen serves a similar purpose to a vented gas cap. For emissions reasons, the factory doesn't want fuel vapors just wafting out of the tank into the atmosphere. They want them to push up the line that goes to the charcoal canister under the hood where it is captured and then purged and burned in the engine the next time you drive it.

As such, those valves typically serve TWO purposes. 1. As a vacuum relief- allowing air into the tank if a vacuum should develop 2. As a tank pressure control valve- holding in some pressure to work the charcoal canister system, but with an overload valve to allow it to vent to atmosphere if that pressure becomes excessive (so as not to damage or rupture the thin sheet metal gas tank).

As a vacuum relief, it takes almost no differential to suck air back into the tank through the valve. As a pressure relief it's got a spring-loaded one-way valve that takes some considerable pressure to open. More than you could possibly generate trying to blow through it with your mouth.
Quick question... Considering I took mine completely off is this hurting my performance since there's no air being pushed up to the canister ? The computer reads off of that and adjust fuel trim doesn't it ?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct. Leaving it vented to atmosphere will not hurt the functioning of the engine in any way. Your car will likely have more "fuel smell" if you park it in the garage after driving it for a while, but if you can deal with that, you're fine.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L V8

You can take them apart and clean them most of the time:
Old 06-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Hey, I know I'm a little late to this, but I was wondering if this fuel vent had anything to do with the charcoal canister, or if it connects to something else besides the fuel tank? My 91firebird failed arizona emissions for not holding pressure, and I'm trying to get it registered again. Thanks if anyone replies!

Last edited by Roger91; 06-04-2020 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Title
Old 06-08-2020, 11:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

That valve has its own connection on top of the tank. It isn't otherwise connected to the charcoal canister.

Not sure where they are pressurizing your system for the emissions test (in Colorado, they test the fuel tank cap itself to verify it holds pressure). Can you describe the test you're failing in more detail?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:34 AM

Hey guys so I don’t have this vent breather at all and my garage smells like straight fuel so question could I block that hole off and just get a venting gas cap if I was reading that right and could stop the issue?? I have a 1988 camaro
Old 09-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Originally Posted by Camaro 88
Hey guys so I don’t have this vent breather at all and my garage smells like straight fuel so question could I block that hole off and just get a venting gas cap if I was reading that right and could stop the issue?? I have a 1988 camaro
How is a venting cap that vents fuel vapor into your garage going to help the garage not smell like fuel vapor?

The system is designed to vent the vapor into a charcoal canister, and the vent valve in question HOLDS pressure (and vacuum) in the tank unless the pressure or vacuum is outside of the specifications of the valve, causing it to open.

The proper components are difficult to find, but even one that's not perfect can be made functional - a little cleaning and maybe some fabrication:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ent-valve.html

GD
Old 12-31-2020, 09:57 PM

Car: 1985 TransAm
Engine: 4bbl 305
Transmission: Automatic

Just checking if anyone knows of a viable option to put on this as the original is not available? Perhaps another years?

Old 03-09-2021, 03:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just cleaned my fuel tank valve as described above, and I am still getting a very strong odor of gas emanating from around the gas tank. Nothing is dripping, it's just fumes, but it reeks. What is the next step?
Old 03-09-2021, 10:52 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 HSR
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by pognoot
I just cleaned my fuel tank valve as described above, and I am still getting a very strong odor of gas emanating from around the gas tank. Nothing is dripping, it's just fumes, but it reeks. What is the next step?
If you actually sure it is coming from the gas tank, your going to have to get under there to check everything out. Lift the rear end like your going to change the fuel pump and get everything blocking your inspection out of the way (heat shields, etc., probably even have to drop the rear end and such) DONT WORRY, it's easier than it sounds, plenty of vids if your unsure. The fuel smell has to come from fuel, so inspect everything that has the fuel/vapors in it. check your tank over real good. Check your fuel lines/sending unit coming out of the tank (these do have rubber lines between the lines under the car and to the sending unit). Your vent lines. Remember, if you haven't changed anything on this, it's probably 30 or so years old, so the rubber is most likely shot/something cracked/rusted - something along those lines... If you don't find it there, keep following the fuel/vapor lines to the front til you do find it.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgenzroc
If you actually sure it is coming from the gas tank, your going to have to get under there to check everything out. Lift the rear end like your going to change the fuel pump and get everything blocking your inspection out of the way (heat shields, etc., probably even have to drop the rear end and such) DONT WORRY, it's easier than it sounds, plenty of vids if your unsure. The fuel smell has to come from fuel, so inspect everything that has the fuel/vapors in it. check your tank over real good. Check your fuel lines/sending unit coming out of the tank (these do have rubber lines between the lines under the car and to the sending unit). Your vent lines. Remember, if you haven't changed anything on this, it's probably 30 or so years old, so the rubber is most likely shot/something cracked/rusted - something along those lines... If you don't find it there, keep following the fuel/vapor lines to the front til you do find it.
I did some research on here and I will start with replacing the gas cap with a Stant 10822. I'm on my 3rd gas cap since I bought the car in Feb, 2019 and none of them have fit quite right. They're either hard to get twist on or they don't seal at the tank lip. I bought from Autozone, O'reillly's, etc by just giving the year/make/model of the car and they'd come back with a cap that supposedly fits. And they did...just not quiet right, which I now know is well documented on this site. My tank is OEM, so I am hoping the 4th cap's a charm.