Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

quad rochester carb vaccuum problems!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro
quad rochester carb vaccuum problems!

Well im back and got my engine back in my 84' automatic berlinetta camaro and have a couple of problem now! Before I get started I would like to say it starts up and idles real good, but when I try to give it gas it dosent do very well! Also the auto transmission isnt shifting out of 1st gear in drive! I know I have the vaccuum line all screwed up because my son took pics before we disconnected all the hoses and now his phone is broke, so we have nothing to go by except diagrams! I just not good at reading those diagrams because it seem a little different from my car! What I could use is some pics of someones layout that has a car like mine! If not, can someone tell me how to bypass all the emmissions and just set it up to get it running good! Thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Re: quad rochester carb vaccuum problems!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
The "emissions" aren't causing this problem. Unless they aren't hooked up, that is.

Here is a vacuum diagram:

(I'm doing this from memory - don't have a q-jet anymore - so hopefully I won't lead you too far astray; or someone will correct me if I do.)

The "Canister Control Valve" in the front hangs loose in front of the intake manifold. Is it still there?

"TVS" means "thermal vacuum switch". The "Purge TVS" is on the intake manifold, and the "EFE TVS" is on the thermostat housing. The vacuum nipples on these switches often get broken off, so make sure they are in good condition. Last time I went to buy these parts, they were still readily available. The "EFE Valve" is down on the passenger side exhaust manifold - the line going to it should be metal with rubber on the ends.

There should also be an electrical "coolant temperature sensor" in the thermostat housing. It is important for proper function. The temp gauge in the instrument cluster uses a different sender, in the driver side head.

The "N" port is on the base of the carb. The "H" port is kind of in the middle on the side. "T" is a little higher. "L" is a large port on the carb base. "B" is toward the top, and "J" is lower. Not shown is a large port that goes from the top of the carb (air horn) to the canister with a large rubber hose; and a large threaded port on the back base of the carb going to the power brake booster with a steel line going to rubber.

The "J" vacuum line goes to an electrical solenoid, so in addition to the vacuum ports, it should have a 2-wire electrical connector.

The carb should have three electrical connections: A single wire to the choke thermostat, a 2-wire connector on the top right front corner (the mixture control solenoid or MCS), and a 3-wire connector on the front left side (the throttle position sensor or TPS). Make sure all of these are fully connected.

One of the first things to verify when chasing a carb problem is ignition timing. For your car, there is a flat 4-wire connector coming from the base of the distributor going to a harness on the firewall. It can be difficult to locate. You need to set the timing with this connector disconnected, then all other operations/settings should be done with it reconnected.

Another good thing to check is the operation of the accelerator pump. With the engine off, remove the air cleaner. Hold the choke butterfly open, and operate the throttle by hand while looking down the primary venturi. You should see a squirt of fuel going into each venturi as the throttle is opened. If not, either the fuel bowl is empty (which is a problem in itself), or your accelerator pump is shot.

Last edited by five7kid; 07-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Man this is good info and really thank you! this is info I really needed! Now if you dont mind i have one more question, I see a cable coming from carb going to the im guessing the cruise control of some kind of kick down! This has 2 vacuums coming off it, do you know where thease lins go? Thanks again man for getting me started back on the right track!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
In an automatic car with cruise control, there will be three "throttle" cables - the accelerator pedal cable and the cruise control cable on the top, and the "throttle valve" or "TV" cable on the bottom of the carb throttle arm (assuming it has the factory TH700R-4 and hasn't been swapped to a TH350).

The vacuum lines to the cruise control should have one going to a vacuum reservoir (some are a log-shaped device located on the firewall, others are globe-shaped under the driver side fender in front of the wheel - not sure which '84 had), and the other going to a "switch" on the brake pedal.

The TV cable must be adjusted correctly for the transmission to operate correctly. It isn't a "kick-down" or "detent", it actually tells the transmission what you're telling the engine to do and adjusts things like internal hydraulic pressure and shift points. The good news is the adjustment is easy to do. Behind the bracket that holds the cable housing to the engine is a spring-loaded lock built into the housing you depress (I think that's right - been awhile since I've had a TH700). While holding it down, pull back on the cable housing and release the lock. Floor the accelerator (or open the throttle at the carb), without the engine running, of course, and the adjustment is complete.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Great man and thanks for yur help! I just got all my vacuum lines hooked up now going to check the cruise control out, but by what you said i think its all hooked up correct, so it looks like a problem with the transmission itself I had another guy telll me to check the governor, the only problem now is I have to locate wherethat is LOL! I dont think I will ever get done with this car! Anyways thanks again for all your help and I mean big help!