Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

When I got my car, it came with the original Q-Jet. I rebuilt it last summer and it runs pretty well. It doesn't bog at all and it gets me pretty decent mileage on the highway. The problem is that the previous owner took all of the choke parts off of the carb at some point.

I like to be able to drive the car as much as I can, but if it's under 50 degrees it takes too long to warm up in the morning. I'm in Ontario, so it's below 50 degrees most of the year when I leave for work at 5:00 AM. I think I put less than 1000 miles on her this past summer.

My buddy has an Edelbrock 1405 that he'll give me for free. He bought it new two years ago and it never gave him any trouble. Should I take the free Edelbrock or try to source the Q-Jet parts?

My motor is a early 90's 350 from a 1-Ton pickup. It'll probably be replaced by a Blueprint 355 at some point in the next couple years.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

I don't think you're going to have the same glowing opinion of the Edelbrock carb. You can't do much better than the Q-jet for overall performance and getting good mpg. Or in your case kpg. You should be able to source the choke parts online. You most likely won't be able to walk down to your corner auto parts store and get them. Being a Canadian car, your Q-jet does not have the electronic feedback does it? You could swap the carbs and see how you like it. If things don't measure up, then swap it back. Just my two cents.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by turd_gen
When I got my car, it came with the original Q-Jet. I rebuilt it last summer and it runs pretty well. It doesn't bog at all and it gets me pretty decent mileage on the highway. The problem is that the previous owner took all of the choke parts off of the carb at some point.

I like to be able to drive the car as much as I can, but if it's under 50 degrees it takes too long to warm up in the morning. I'm in Ontario, so it's below 50 degrees most of the year when I leave for work at 5:00 AM. I think I put less than 1000 miles on her this past summer.

My buddy has an Edelbrock 1405 that he'll give me for free. He bought it new two years ago and it never gave him any trouble. Should I take the free Edelbrock or try to source the Q-Jet parts?

My motor is a early 90's 350 from a 1-Ton pickup. It'll probably be replaced by a Blueprint 355 at some point in the next couple years.
I would get the qjet redone with the choke parts.
I love my qjet.
How far are you from Stoney Creek, Ontario?
There's Wildgoose Performance here, and they can do anything with a Qjet.....
Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by Manic Z
I would get the qjet redone with the choke parts.
I love my qjet.
How far are you from Stoney Creek, Ontario?
There's Wildgoose Performance here, and they can do anything with a Qjet.....
I'm in Toronto, but I could swing down there in the spring. Have you used Wildgoose before?

BTW your Camaro looks awesome. I'm hoping to have a similar end result with my T/A.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by turd_gen
I'm in Toronto, but I could swing down there in the spring. Have you used Wildgoose before?

BTW your Camaro looks awesome. I'm hoping to have a similar end result with my T/A.
Thank you!

Yes, Jim at Wildgoose does the work on my car that I can't.
He knows his Qjets.
251 Green Mountain Rd E, Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Z5
(905) 664-4785
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 T/A
Engine: 1973 400 Chevy
Transmission: 4 Speed Borg Warner
Axle/Gears: 3:23

I am sure you can scavenge all the missing choke parts from a local junk yard.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

No do not do it keep the Q jet and fix the choke
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

No do not do it keep the Q jet and fix the choke

Putting that "free" Edlebrock POS on there will cost you AT LEAST 5 times as much if you buy NEW Q-Jet choke parts, maybe 50 - 100 times as much if you JY it. NOT ONLY will you have to buy a whole other distributor, BUT ALSO, deal with an intake manifold, fuel lines, throttle linkage, transmission TV cable stuff, air cleaner, TC lockup, ... the list just GOES ON. It's not ANYWHERE NEAR as simple as un-bolt and re-bolt.

Sell the other and use the money to shoo the buzzards off a CC Q-Jet carcass at yer local pick & pull.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

If you have a free Edelbrock spend a $40 or so rebuild it clean it up and sell it for hundred hundred fifty
Old 01-12-2018, 06:54 PM

This site seems to have a lot of Quadrajet parts. The carbs are fairly easy to work on. The hardest part would be to get the flat linkage piece down the "well" and get the choke shaft engaged to it.
https://quadrajetparts.com/rochester...jet-c-128.html
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Putting that "free" Edlebrock POS on there will cost you AT LEAST 5 times as much if you buy NEW Q-Jet choke parts, maybe 50 - 100 times as much if you JY it. NOT ONLY will you have to buy a whole other distributor, BUT ALSO, deal with an intake manifold, fuel lines, throttle linkage, transmission TV cable stuff, air cleaner, TC lockup, ... the list just GOES ON. It's not ANYWHERE NEAR as simple as un-bolt and re-bolt.

Sell the other and use the money to shoo the buzzards off a CC Q-Jet carcass at yer local pick & pull.
He is in Canada. If his car is a Canadian model, he does not have the CCC QJet. Am I correct?

Another source for QJet parts is https://cliffshighperformance.com/
Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

True dat; been too long since I was up there. Almost a year. Sorry I didn't read the fine print.

The basic message remains the same... fix what ya got, before resorting to yank it off and takes yer chances.

I travel in that country fairly often. Last time I was up there, north of Timmins, I saw A BUNCH of junkyards all along my way. Even more near Hamilton right beside Toronto. Like ALL major metro areas in the Salt Belt, LOTS AND LOTS of totally rusted out wasted f***ed to the max car bodies with PERFECTLY GOOD engines. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge.