Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock? - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
turd_gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hog Town, Ontario
Posts: 146
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

When I got my car, it came with the original Q-Jet. I rebuilt it last summer and it runs pretty well. It doesn't bog at all and it gets me pretty decent mileage on the highway. The problem is that the previous owner took all of the choke parts off of the carb at some point.

I like to be able to drive the car as much as I can, but if it's under 50 degrees it takes too long to warm up in the morning. I'm in Ontario, so it's below 50 degrees most of the year when I leave for work at 5:00 AM. I think I put less than 1000 miles on her this past summer.

My buddy has an Edelbrock 1405 that he'll give me for free. He bought it new two years ago and it never gave him any trouble. Should I take the free Edelbrock or try to source the Q-Jet parts?

My motor is a early 90's 350 from a 1-Ton pickup. It'll probably be replaced by a Blueprint 355 at some point in the next couple years.
turd_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #2  
Member
 
gearhead141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Escondido, Ca
Posts: 383
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

I don't think you're going to have the same glowing opinion of the Edelbrock carb. You can't do much better than the Q-jet for overall performance and getting good mpg. Or in your case kpg. You should be able to source the choke parts online. You most likely won't be able to walk down to your corner auto parts store and get them. Being a Canadian car, your Q-jet does not have the electronic feedback does it? You could swap the carbs and see how you like it. If things don't measure up, then swap it back. Just my two cents.
gearhead141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Manic Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hamilton Ontario Canada
Posts: 729
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi


Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd_gen View Post
When I got my car, it came with the original Q-Jet. I rebuilt it last summer and it runs pretty well. It doesn't bog at all and it gets me pretty decent mileage on the highway. The problem is that the previous owner took all of the choke parts off of the carb at some point.

I like to be able to drive the car as much as I can, but if it's under 50 degrees it takes too long to warm up in the morning. I'm in Ontario, so it's below 50 degrees most of the year when I leave for work at 5:00 AM. I think I put less than 1000 miles on her this past summer.

My buddy has an Edelbrock 1405 that he'll give me for free. He bought it new two years ago and it never gave him any trouble. Should I take the free Edelbrock or try to source the Q-Jet parts?

My motor is a early 90's 350 from a 1-Ton pickup. It'll probably be replaced by a Blueprint 355 at some point in the next couple years.
I would get the qjet redone with the choke parts.
I love my qjet.
How far are you from Stoney Creek, Ontario?
There's Wildgoose Performance here, and they can do anything with a Qjet.....
Manic Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
turd_gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hog Town, Ontario
Posts: 146
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Z View Post
I would get the qjet redone with the choke parts.
I love my qjet.
How far are you from Stoney Creek, Ontario?
There's Wildgoose Performance here, and they can do anything with a Qjet.....
I'm in Toronto, but I could swing down there in the spring. Have you used Wildgoose before?

BTW your Camaro looks awesome. I'm hoping to have a similar end result with my T/A.
turd_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #5  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Manic Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hamilton Ontario Canada
Posts: 729
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi


Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd_gen View Post
I'm in Toronto, but I could swing down there in the spring. Have you used Wildgoose before?

BTW your Camaro looks awesome. I'm hoping to have a similar end result with my T/A.
Thank you!

Yes, Jim at Wildgoose does the work on my car that I can't.
He knows his Qjets.
251 Green Mountain Rd E, Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Z5
(905) 664-4785
Manic Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Scranton, PA
Posts: 53
Car: 1982 T/A
Engine: 1973 400 Chevy
Transmission: 4 Speed Borg Warner
Axle/Gears: 3:23

Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

I am sure you can scavenge all the missing choke parts from a local junk yard.
fteufert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #7  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Henrietta NY
Posts: 3,668
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: 355 Carbed V8 Patriot Vortec Heads
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi


Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

No do not do it keep the Q jet and fix the choke
midias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #8  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 20,543
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere


Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Quote:
No do not do it keep the Q jet and fix the choke


Putting that "free" Edlebrock POS on there will cost you AT LEAST 5 times as much if you buy NEW Q-Jet choke parts, maybe 50 - 100 times as much if you JY it. NOT ONLY will you have to buy a whole other distributor, BUT ALSO, deal with an intake manifold, fuel lines, throttle linkage, transmission TV cable stuff, air cleaner, TC lockup, ... the list just GOES ON. It's not ANYWHERE NEAR as simple as un-bolt and re-bolt.

Sell the other and use the money to shoo the buzzards off a CC Q-Jet carcass at yer local pick & pull.
sofakingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #9  
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Henrietta NY
Posts: 3,668
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: 355 Carbed V8 Patriot Vortec Heads
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi


Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

If you have a free Edelbrock spend a $40 or so rebuild it clean it up and sell it for hundred hundred fifty
midias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2

Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

This site seems to have a lot of Quadrajet parts. The carbs are fairly easy to work on. The hardest part would be to get the flat linkage piece down the "well" and get the choke shaft engaged to it.
https://quadrajetparts.com/rochester...jet-c-128.html
pharrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #11  
Supreme Member
 
NoEmissions84TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Meriden, CT 06450
Posts: 1,648
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10 Auburn Posi

Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingdom View Post


Putting that "free" Edlebrock POS on there will cost you AT LEAST 5 times as much if you buy NEW Q-Jet choke parts, maybe 50 - 100 times as much if you JY it. NOT ONLY will you have to buy a whole other distributor, BUT ALSO, deal with an intake manifold, fuel lines, throttle linkage, transmission TV cable stuff, air cleaner, TC lockup, ... the list just GOES ON. It's not ANYWHERE NEAR as simple as un-bolt and re-bolt.

Sell the other and use the money to shoo the buzzards off a CC Q-Jet carcass at yer local pick & pull.
He is in Canada. If his car is a Canadian model, he does not have the CCC QJet. Am I correct?


Another source for QJet parts is https://cliffshighperformance.com/
NoEmissions84TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #12  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 20,543
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere


Re: Replace my Q-Jet with a free Edelbrock?

True dat; been too long since I was up there. Almost a year. Sorry I didn't read the fine print.

The basic message remains the same... fix what ya got, before resorting to yank it off and takes yer chances.

I travel in that country fairly often. Last time I was up there, north of Timmins, I saw A BUNCH of junkyards all along my way. Even more near Hamilton right beside Toronto. Like ALL major metro areas in the Salt Belt, LOTS AND LOTS of totally rusted out wasted f***ed to the max car bodies with PERFECTLY GOOD engines. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge.
sofakingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear hatch glass free free free free Z03Z28 Exterior Parts for Sale 0 09-30-2008 09:08 PM
FREE FREE FREE - Las Vegas - New door hinge pins logikal6785 Exterior Parts for Sale 4 07-30-2006 10:06 AM


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


All content copyright 1997 - 2018 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: