Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Fuel vaccums out of carb back to tank I guess.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel vaccums out of carb back to tank I guess.

Then you have too crank the hell out of it to get gas back to the carb. It's alright if you start it 2 times every day. It's a 79 Trans/Am with a 6.6 and auto trans.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Fuel vaccums out of carb back to tank I guess.

Thanks for the car info, ill assume you are running a quadrajet.

A couple of things for Quadrajets
  • Theres a couple of different types of needle and seat arrangements, one is windowed which has holes in the seat to encourage flow back towards the tank/pump when not running.
  • You may have some severely leaking well plugs which are just leaking all the fuel out of the bowls
If this is one of those "all of a sudden" sort of issues then it could be option 2 - a quick rebuild and some jb weld will help you out.

If its been doing it a while it could still be option 2, but pull the top off the carb and have a squiz at the bottom of the seat, if its got holes, its a windowed unit, you can get different ones from Quadrajetparts.com

Another option is to install a pusher pump somewhere between the tank and the mechanical block pump to help priming.

Happy Friday (well its friday here...)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by zed-028
Thanks for the car info, ill assume you are running a quadrajet.

A couple of things for Quadrajets
  • Theres a couple of different types of needle and seat arrangements, one is windowed which has holes in the seat to encourage flow back towards the tank/pump when not running.
  • You may have some severely leaking well plugs which are just leaking all the fuel out of the bowls
If this is one of those "all of a sudden" sort of issues then it could be option 2 - a quick rebuild and some jb weld will help you out.

If its been doing it a while it could still be option 2, but pull the top off the carb and have a squiz at the bottom of the seat, if its got holes, its a windowed unit, you can get different ones from Quadrajetparts.com

Another option is to install a pusher pump somewhere between the tank and the mechanical block pump to help priming.

Happy Friday (well its friday here...)
Thanks, I thought it could have something to do with the charcoal canister or the return line on the fuel pump.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ezeye57
Thanks, I thought it could have something to do with the charcoal canister or the return line on the fuel pump.
By the way, it is a quadrajet.