Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

The old ID-10-T error on warm / hot start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 IROC-Z
Engine: LG4 305-4BBL
Transmission: T5
The old ID-10-T error on warm / hot start

Hi everyone,

Long-term member here. Wanted to start off by saying how wonderful of a site this is, with a LOT of good advice on every topic I have ever had from technical to people's opinions. And there is a reason why so many of use the search feature.

I had been having some problems with my 86 IROC when starting it warm (it was rebuilt two to three years ago but not driven much since then). Started cold perfectly but when warm, it was very hard to start and I wound up flooding it way too often. I read through dozens of threads here of technical reasons why others had the same problem. Someone even mentioned opening the throttle up full way to allow cool air into the carb. I started to go down the technical route then it occurred to me, maybe I'm just an idiot who got used to driving fuel injected cars for far too long. Unfortunately I replaced my sun visors about a decade ago and no longer had the startup instructions that came on the back side of them. Luckily eBay had people selling reproduction units (I couldn't find carb start instructions here).

Low and behold, I proved to be old and stupid. When starting warm I was following the cold start process of two pumps of the throttle. Instructions were to start with foot OFF the gas pedal, and if the car doesn't start after three seconds, push throttle 1/3 the way down and try again.

Sumbitch if the proper process didn't work exactly as the car's designed said it should!! Or as tech support says, PICNIC: Problem In Chair, Not In Car!! The carb is still a little sluggish, probably from sitting too long (I'll be Seafoaming her), but the starting issues were user error.

I'm posting this not to make fun of myself, but so that others having warm start problems might be able to fix it by not being a knucklehead and following the proper startup instructions.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: The old ID-10-T error on warm / hot start

Originally Posted by Oddball
PICNIC: Problem In Chair, Not In Car!!

I like the ID10T reference too, lol
Problem exists between keyboard and chair, lol
Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Re: The old ID-10-T error on warm / hot start

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself...a bunch of people never have driven a car that didn't have fuel injection, and many who have haven't seen one in years. Took me forever to get my son to understand what to do with his LG4 '87 El Camino. Every morning, he'd have to start that poor car a ton of times, because he wouldn't/couldn't set the choke properly. After the second fried starter, he finally figured it out.