Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

2017 Update: Still Kickin'

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks
2017 Update: Still Kickin'

Howdy Gents. Been some time since I posted here and a lot has happened. The last time I was a regular here, I was living in California and working in the Bay Area. Since then (~2009 or so) I moved back home to Atlanta and took the NorCal car with me. It was my daily driver in Atlanta every day for a few years which was about 40 miles a day.

Well, a gas crisis or two happened and the mileage started adding up. It's showing 208K miles right now. There were a couple times I debated selling the car but couldn't because at this point, I had fixed, repaired, or restored just about everything on the car and it was now the car I had owned the longest. It had also participated in a couple "Gatherings" and won best of class. Twice. It was a part of me for sure.

Anyway, 2017. I've been staying on top of the regular maintenance (tires, pads, tunes, etc.) and then just last month, got it repainted. I found a local guy who was going to iron out the wrinkles from dents here and there, sand off the Earl paint from CA, and bring it back to the original color. I took it to Road Atlanta to meet a buddy with a track car (Porsche 996) and made a parade lap). The pics below are right after the paint and on the track.

From here, I'm going to focus on replacing the deteriorating rubber and keeping it scratch-free (much harder than it sounds). Maybe one day a crate engine but in the meantime, the friggin' TBI is rock solid.

Keep the faith, gents.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 Update:  Still Kickin'-91fb-ra.jpg   2017 Update:  Still Kickin'-0220171823a.jpg   2017 Update:  Still Kickin'-0220171700.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
Re: 2017 Update: Still Kickin'

Welcome back! Good to know your car is still with you. 208 isn't too bad, mine sits at 158 right now and hasn't skipped a beat. I bought and drove it in Atlanta for about 12 years and it is now with me in its Florida "retirement" home.