Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

ac cycling issues

Old 03-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 firebird convertible
Engine: 305 tbi v8
ac cycling issues

Ok guys so, here's what he's doing:

compressor Was cycling on and off, 2 sec on, 2 off. And so on.

Check freon level, as per the gauge from the r134 retro kit that comes with a bottle, it would bounce between safe and warning .

So, I took some out, unplugged compressor, level said safe. Plugged compressor back in, now it won't click on.

I over fill purposely (slightly) and it starts to do the cycling.

Still blowing warm.

Idk how super accurate these gauges are, but I've had this one for years and have used it on many cars, so I do trust it's reading.

My ac use to work til I parked him and didn't activate the ac for a long wHile. (It was winterish in Miami)

​​​​​​​Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: ac cycling issues

EFFF the gauge.

Put refrigerant in until it quits cycling. Then put in a little more. Since it doesn't materialize out of nowhere, i.e. however much you put in there NOW, there'll be less tomorrow, still less the day after, etc., until some day in the measurable future, it'll be down to the point it'll start cycling again. Or not working at all as the case may be. Always fill a leaking A/C system a bit past "ideal" for this reason. The operative concept being, A BIT... don't go overboard. You still gotta maintain it somewhat every so often.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Sounds like a cycle sensor to me. I just had the same thing happen on my van. Brought it in and its a stupid 5 dollar sensor. What sucks is they need to drain system to replace it. so that was 90 bucks.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

There's no such thing as a "cycle sensor".

There IS however, a low pressure cutoff switch, which, when the pressure on the cold / suction / low pressure / gas side of the system goes TOO low, usually as a direct result of too little refrigerant, it cuts the power to the compressor to prevent damage.

It CAN go bad, but it doesn't require any particular effort to change it. It's on the side of the accumulator/dryer (big aluminum can thing) with 2 green wires on its plug. Unplug it, unscrew it, installation is the reverse of removal. Takes less than 15 seconds if you're slow like me, but since you're obviously faster, you can probably do it quicker. No refrigerant is lost (well, not more than a handful of molecules... let's say, not enough to make any detectable difference) during the process.

But it VIRTUALLY NEVER fails. Note that I said VIRTUALLY; I do recall I heard somewhere about somebody that had one that went bad, specifically by leaking, but out of all the thousands of others I've ever come into contact with, ... no.

Put refrigerant in your system. Don't worry about that ... other.

Fill it until it quits cycling, and then however much is left in your last can, then put that in too. Run the engine at relatively high speed (2500 - 3000 RPM) for a few seconds at the end, to empty that last can as much as it can be emptied. 99.99999% chance that'll fix your "cycling" issue.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 firebird convertible
Engine: 305 tbi v8

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to try again this weekend.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

The low pressure switch can be adjusted IIRC. There is a screw under the connector. I believe when you change over to a different refrigerant, it needs to be adjusted so it does not cycle as much.

Search this Thread