Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

1991 camaro 305 overheating WEIRD PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 camaro 305 overheating WEIRD PROBLEM

91 camaro rs overheating. replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, etc. Well i notice the radiator fan isnt coming on with the ac or at the regular temp its coming on at. Well i check the radiator fan connector thing for power and its averaging 12 volts like its supposed to. Next i hook the radiator fan to a car battery to see if its the motor. Well, its not the motor it turns when hooked up to a battery and the connector plug says its getting power, but when i plug it in and turn on the ac the fan doesnt move and it doesnt turn on at the temp its supposed to. BRAND NEW FAN MOTOR, and its getting power but it wont turn on. is there a problem with my connector i checked to see if it is dirty but it wasnt didnt seem too bad. idk what to do been broke down for two months and just now discovered this sight, I COULD TOGGLE SWITCH THE FAN IM AWARE BUT I DONT WANT TO. IF ITS GETTING POWER WHY ISNT IT WORKING ?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Re: 1991 camaro 305 overheating WEIRD PROBLEM

Fan fuse under dash OK? I just went troubleshooting this an hour ago haha. If the fan itself is getting power does it have a bad ground? Get your fan relay, should be the rounded edged one by the square relays on the firewall by your driver side fender. Has 4 wires, get out your multimeter! Thick red wire should have battery 12 volts at all times, brown/white wire should have 12v with key ON. If that checks out Ground the green/white wire, fan should kick in with key on. If it doesn't ur relay might be toast, if it does u have a problem further down the line (temp sensor?)

best of luck
Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 AM

How could i check for a bad ground i changed tbe relay and fuse already just in case
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM

I went and bought a new relay and fuse just to be safe its still not cutting on . i can hard wire the relay connector and the fan will cut on with the key on. Does that tell you anything? ?? The fan will cut on but i literally have the relay plug hard wired with copper wires instead of the actual relay thing .
Old 08-17-2017, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

could be the ecm isn't getting the signal? I just did a toggle switch to ground the relay.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...iator-fan.html
Old 08-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
2 Hot 4 U

Originally Posted by ChristianAbles
i can hard wire the relay connector and the fan will cut on with the key on
If you ground the green wire with a
White stripe and the fan runs, and the engine is TBI, the problem is a break in the above line, which you can trace back to the HVAC.

If the engine is MPI, the problem is most likely the ECM.

You can ground the
green wire with a
White stripe at the ECM to verify before replacing the ECM.

Happy Racing !

After The Fourth Barrel Roll I Lost Control Of The Car