Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Radiator Options.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s
Radiator Options.....

So i have my cooling system all apart, mainly to replace a leaking WP, but have found many other things to spend $$ on. Took factory radiator, which had been re-tanked on my watch, to a repair shop for a checkout. They basically said dont put this back in your car! OK, not a big surprise, it is old. So i want to put in a little better than stock radiator. Looked at Summit, all aluminum rads for about 300, but looks like they need mods to install.
And yes, i have been reading the sticky above about the all alum 3-core rad. it is a long thread, havent gotten through it all. That champion CC951 unit does look promising for me. Is that the best option i have, with minimal mods to get in? i want to retain my factory dual fan setup, and the factory intake with MAF......
Old 06-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Car: 89 tta
Engine: turbo v6
Transmission: 200r4
Re: Radiator Options.....

use a stock replacement, i live out in the california desert and got an auto zone replacement and in 100 plus degree weather with ac on my temps are below 200.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 PM

Ok, so i ended up with a Champion # CC951. Great looking cooler. Now i just gotta get it to fit!! started cutting up the lower 2 rubber holders, but i think i need to cut them all the way out, and try something else. Plus, at the top, looks like i will really have to stretch things to get the top plastic holder to lock it down. I prefer to use it, so i can retain the stock 2 fans. Any tips to make this happen?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Why you say that? its that same radiator that I got! Only about 24$ cheaper than what i paid for mine, off Ebay.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by T.L.
No, it's a 2-row. Yours is a 3. Did you look at the part number?
The 2-row should be easier to make fit, and since your stock one is a 1-row, it's still an upgrade, not to mention that you need to move A LOT of air for 3 rows and more to cool...
Well this info would have been helpful back when i posted the original thread, on June 21st!!! the part number of the Jegs unit is 166-EC951. the part number of my ebay unit is CC951. Not much difference. I looked at the dimensions of the Jegs unit, and they are real close to the ebay unit. core thickness maybe 1/4" less for the 2-row unit. I didnt even know Champion made a 2-row unit. I have dual electric fans, the primary of which i control in the ECM chip, and the secondary i have a thermal switch that sandwiches in the rad. I also have manual switches under the dash for both fans. This big unit should cool just fine without the fans! i have read the long sticky on this cooling effort. Some had good experiences, and some did not. It's not like i purchased a radiator for some other car, this ebay unit is supposed to fit my car. i knew there would be some fitment issues......
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 PM

OK, so my radiator saga continues. after some serious thinking about the situation, i figured it was best to return the 3-row unit and get the 2-row unit. But Jegs is out of stock. Tonight got a hold of my ebay seller, Reliable Radiator, and they said they could exchange it, but never had anyone return a 3-row for a 2-row unit. he said they just drop right in these Camaro's.....otherwise not much help. gave me the # for Champion tech support. called them tonight, but didnt get their best guy. he said they should go right in, and to use some rubber mounts from an older Chevy car, that had bigger rads from the factory. I told him i was having more trouble with the top mounts, trying to pull the rad in closer to the condenser, to get the top bracket to work. He said the 2-row wouldn't be much different than the 3-row. And they were also out of stock, and no ETA for stock. what to do? i really dont want to force this 3-row in, just to get it going, cuz no stock for the 2-row. I think i will call RR back late in the am, see if they have stock in the 2-row units. Do i have a better chance with the 2-row unit, getting it in the car?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

I just put a frostbite radiator in my car that I got from summit. It’s a 2 row and is made for our cars. It fit pretty damn good compared to all the threads I’ve seen of other radiators needing a ton of work to fit. I haven’t ran the car with it yet but the welds on it look great and the finish on it is like a mirror.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73

Originally Posted by TylerSteez
I just put a frostbite radiator in my car that I got from summit. It’s a 2 row and is made for our cars. It fit pretty damn good compared to all the threads I’ve seen of other radiators needing a ton of work to fit. I haven’t ran the car with it yet but the welds on it look great and the finish on it is like a mirror.
Are the threaded fittings the same as the stock transmission lines? Got a link to this radiator? Been looking for an upgrade for my 82.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by kentuckyKITT
Are the threaded fittings the same as the stock transmission lines? Got a link to this radiator? Been looking for an upgrade for my 82.
the trans cooler line ports are 1/2-20 straight thread which Are what the stock trans cooler lines are so yes. The part number is FB188. I can send a link later when I’m not on my phone.

i didn’t even have to trim the stock rubber spacers and I was able to get the stock radiator cover top piece and stock fan to work with it. I did have to cut an inch of the top piece but I think that was because the tray that the radiator sits on is dented inwards from a jack on my car. Eventually I’ll hammer it back to shape but cutting the top piece wasn’t a big deal to me since it was already cracked exactly where I had to cut it.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Ok, so here is my update, since i am the OP. As stated in my last post, no stock in the 2-row, so if i return my 3-row Champion, i would likely have to get something else. Looked online Summit, lots of choices, but most all aftermarket said that modifications would be necessary. I could have gone with a stock replacement, but that wouldnt be much of an upgrade. After talking with Champion, and RR a second time, i decided to make the 3-row that i have fit. So i have it basically in the car, and not coming back out! working on the 2 fans now, just trying to get them spaced away from the rad a bit. Need to get some longer M8 bolts, and i think i have it! Hopefully this week i will be dumping fresh coolant in the tank!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 PM

Well, my project is done. All back togethor. i think it worked out well. Got it running last night, and drove it tonight for a quick visit to the GFs. Need to run it more and watch the temps. after a while, needs an oil change and i will likely flush it out again. check out my pics, but cannot really see much.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Options.....-img_3269.jpg   Radiator Options.....-img_3267.jpg  
Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

Hey there Mike, looks good. What did you end up having to change to get it to fit?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ownor
Hey there Mike, looks good. What did you end up having to change to get it to fit?
o wow, that was a while ago now. Have to think about it. Made up my own lower rubber mounts, to hold the bottom of the radiator, mainly just to isolate it from metal. For the top, i think i just put some more rubber pieces in the top shroud. And just pulled it back tight, towards the condenser, and locked down the top shroud. For the fans, i just used some spacers on the bottom brackets, and some longer bolts, to keep them away from the radiator. I think it all worked out well. I did have a few small leaks, mainly from re-using old hoses, like the heater hose, and overflow tube. Leaked around the clamp locations. So i just cut back some of the hose, and re-clamped it. After that all good. Didnt get to drive it alot, but the water temps seemed to be a little lower, and held down lower than before. And the fans seem to do what they are suppose to. I might have even disabled the secondary fan, to see if just one fan could get the temps back down.