DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Grumpy has passed on

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10
Re: Grumpy has passed on

Originally Posted by Ken73
I can't believe I'm just now finding out about this. I had to hear it from someone on my CrossFire forum this evening, and I'm still in shock. I've read through all the posts and it's just now sinking in. I've mulled over the photos I have from when Bill and I went up there to see him, and from when I went there in 2002 as well.

The CrossFire community has lost a great icon as well. We will miss you Bruce, but your legacy will live on. Rest in peace my friend.
Ken,

Check this thread.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...y-6-7-8th.html
We are going to Arcanum and Greenville to honor Bruce
with a Super PowWow with the likes of RBob, Craig, Mangus and more. Fitting
tribute to Bruce. We're also planning on visiting Bruce's final resting place.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 T/A, 92 Rs
Engine: L98:D,L03:<
Transmission: 700r4x2
Axle/Gears: 3.23 bw, 2.73 10 bolt.

well, we should all hope to leave the world with so much thanksgiving for our contributions and sadness at our passing. i only recently started in on the diy prom board but, well, you know. you can't even browse the stickies without stumbling over his writings.

he's like the apostle paul of diy efi and i for one missed out since i never got to talk to him.. the best thing any of us that cant make it to the memorial can do, is to read what he wrote and let it continue to make an impression on us. his influence lives on in our hearts and in the combustion chambers of our engines
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

After being "away" for a while it's sad to return to such news.

Bruce you will be missed.

I can remember Bruce telling my newby butt back around 2000/2001 when I asked if I could tune by the stock o2 sensor.........."Yeah sure.......it will be like reading tea leaves." He had a way with words.....

RIP Grumpy.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

A genius that will be really missed in our time, and a great mind to set the tone for the times to come.
His posts and knowledge will live in others and the cars that we drive as we continue his hobby.
Every person that he reached and ECM that runs from his programs will pay tribute to this great man.
Thanks for everything Bruce and rest well.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Car: 77 El Camino
Engine: 355 Converting to TPI
Transmission: Converting to 4L60/4L60E

Originally Posted by Lucid
A genius that will be really missed in our time, and a great mind to set the tone for the times to come. His posts and knowledge will live in others and the cars that we drive as we continue his hobby. Every person that he reached and ECM that runs from his programs will pay tribute to this great man. Thanks for everything Bruce and rest well.
Been gone for a couple of months. I couldn't agree more with the above statement.

May the Love of God be with Bruce and his family

Billy
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Supreme Member

Bruce was great. He would flat out tell you how it is. I would try and debate his post. Problem was that he was right on most of the time. Much of what he posted was not an opinion. Through it all, his true purpose was to spread info and help fellow EFI heads..

Several years ago we clashed. The last few years I really got to know and respect him. It's amazing how long he has been spreading info on fuel injection.

.....There is a vast hole now. He will be missed.....
Old 08-25-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen

I just heard from a friend that follows these boards more often. I can't say I was surprised having known about his health issues for years but that doesn't change my grief.
Bruce was a difficult individual for me to communicate with but he deserves all the honor and respect I can give. He was an amazing guy that gave a lot more than answers even when answers might have been all that you wanted. His approach was to give you a reason and a skill to answer your own questions and to come to your own conclusions. He would stay idle just before the finish line if only to want company in the crossing. He is already being missed.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Has anyone taken on his projects? I know he had the GN, as well as a mustang too right? I hope they didn't land in the scrapper.

-- Joe
Old 08-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Car: 1987 IROC Z/28 Camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt w/ 4.10s

Is there any website or anything that holds all (or a lot) of his articles and other writings in one big area? It would be a nice tribute to the man if all of his knowledge could live on even with people who never got to speak to him personally.

I don't visit any other EFI boards so for all I know there is already something like this out there.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.

Originally Posted by 11sORbust

Several years ago we clashed. The last few years I really got to know and respect him. It's amazing how long he has been spreading info on fuel injection.

.....There is a vast hole now. He will be missed.....
Tim, consider it a "badge of honor" that Bruce thought you were intelligent enough for him to wish to debate a subject with you. And I know that your post would have meant a lot to him.

And, if you spent anytime with him on the phone, he would tell you things privately that he would NEVER discuss or admit on DIY Prom (sometimes even contrary to what he was posting).

Bruce would normally tell people the "General Info" on TGO, but privately he would then discuss the "Special Exceptions". You might even be shocked of what he truly thought of the $6E MAF System.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Car: 85 T/A, 92 Rs
Engine: L98:D,L03:<
Transmission: 700r4x2
Axle/Gears: 3.23 bw, 2.73 10 bolt.

considering what i've read on here about it from him, i'd say he secretly liked it. it's not as easy to explain to people but maf is superior in performance, not tunability. it's just a guess from someone who didn't know him. the 165 ecm is crap and i want to throw it at a ford every once in awhille but had that not been the case, 6e not 8d would be king..
Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42

I can't believe I missed this topic. We have lost a few incredible thirdgen people this year, and to think that Bruce is gone, well the DIY-EFI community will not be the same.

I, like many, will miss Grumpy's articles and insights. I wish his heirs the best.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 377ci
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: QP Ford 9" 3.70s

I am speechless. I have not been on the boards in a while, and I am extremely disappointed that I missed the Grumpy pow wow. I never met Grumpy in person, I just knew him from these boards. I feel like we exchanged lots of info, and I absolutely loved exchanging posts with man. Many times we were of the same opinion, and I think if we would of met, we would of hit it off. He invited me to a pow wow once. I was going to show him the test bench he inspired me to build. I was going to bring it up in my dad's 77 vette, which has the very first 730 I hacked an tuned as an FI controller for that car. Grumpy had a large part in that, we exchanged many messages.

Thanks for all your help Grumpy, I hope you have gone to a better place. The rides in my old man's vette will just mean that much more from now on. I will be sure to smoke the hides in your memory one of these summer nights

David C. Freeman
Attached Thumbnails Grumpy has passed on-grumpy.jpg  

Last edited by DAVECS1; 09-06-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 350,Dart Heads,Weiand In,Roller Cam
Transmission: 2400-Stall, 700R4 w/ Kit
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42 disc (I wish)

Thanks for the help Grumpy, he will definately live forever in peoples memories and TGO.