DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

$8D-Turbo bin development thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: $8D-Turbo bin development thread

Thats strange. If ve tables dont have abnormal spikes in it, fuel should be consistant unless missfiring or large jump in timing.
Is That quasi fuel option turned off?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '74 Firebird, '84 vette
Engine: 454 twin turbo, 350 HSR
Transmission: 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9", Dana36

I read a few posts up that you are looking to add flex fuel support.
The speeduino project added it several months ago to their arduino based EFI controller.
The code is available on github and is really simple. Adapting the concept shouldnt be too hard.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by The_Punisher454
I read a few posts up that you are looking to add flex fuel support.
The speeduino project added it several months ago to their arduino based EFI controller.
The code is available on github and is really simple. Adapting the concept shouldnt be too hard.
I already wrote the virtual sensor code a couple years ago. And the rest is so simple. The fun for me is the coding and figuring out how to accomplish what I want.

I'll look into it to see if they've done anything interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

I also could add Flexfuel functionality without the NVSRAM but the NVSRAM makes it more fun for me being all coding.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Thats strange. If ve tables dont have abnormal spikes in it, fuel should be consistant unless missfiring or large jump in timing.
Is That quasi fuel option turned off?
guess it don't matter no more, took the air filter off the procharger and the bolt for the impeller fell off chewed up the impeller good. corvette time
Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by 86Z
guess it don't matter no more, took the air filter off the procharger and the bolt for the impeller fell off chewed up the impeller good. corvette time
The bolt that holds the impeller off came loose?

Corvette is a good call. Might as well keep the thirdgen though, just park it somewhere and never drive it like me. Nobody will pay you anywhere near what it's worth if you try to sell it.

-- Joe
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

yeah the bolt and that weird bevel washer came out, i can clearly see locking compound on the threads. procharger says the only thing they can think of is the heat made the locking compound fail after a while
Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM

Added two "new" features.
Made the highway mode automatically on and aggressive.
Eliminated the "paperclip trick" diagnostic readout. Now with the Drivemodes switch I added you only need to change to mode 0 (injector Killswitch) to read codes.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 PM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
There's a post on the first page where I give the addresses and values necessary to run this with a 3 bar.
i'm not a coder... how would i do this?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 PM

In tunerpro you can set up new scalars at the address locations I posted. Then make sure the value I said is there actually is. Then you edit it to the 3 bar values I posted, save, burn, try it out.
You can also use the hex editor feature in tunerpro and do the same thing.

It's really quite simple. But you will want to be VERY careful running this as its untested under boost.

Eventually I'll add these scalars to the XDF I posted to make this a switchable map sensor setup for anybody that can alter a tune.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:14 PM
86Z
TGO Supporter

In tunerpro you can set up new scalars at the address locations I posted. Then make sure the value I said is there actually is. Then you edit it to the 3 bar values I posted, save, burn, try it out.
You can also use the hex editor feature in tunerpro and do the same thing.

It's really quite simple. But you will want to be VERY careful running this as its untested under boost.

Eventually I'll add these scalars to the XDF I posted to make this a switchable map sensor setup for anybody that can alter a tune.

3 bar values:
scalar: 210 = 0x00D2
Offset: 921 = 0x0399

so i can make a new scalar anywhere in the scalar list edit it and add the hex address 0x00D2 what is the 210 mean? and what is offset?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:30 PM

Scalar and offset don't matter for you. Just enter the hex 0x000 style number at the addresses.
The numbers are the actual values of the hex you're entering.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Locked BLM at WOT now.
More to come, but very slow moving. 3 jobs and 2 kids keeps me even busier than before.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:04 PM

Car: 1990 Corvette
Engine: SuperRam 383
Transmission: ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.33

Has this project totally died? I'm trying to figure out the engine management strategy for my '90 Corvette I'm about to boost, and was very excited to come across this thread.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
Has this project totally died? I'm trying to figure out the engine management strategy for my '90 Corvette I'm about to boost, and was very excited to come across this thread.
No, I’m still here. Just never got anybody to test and my turbo is still on the shelf.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:18 PM

No, I’m still here. Just never got anybody to test and my turbo is still on the shelf.
I'd offer to test, but I'm a long way off from boost. Right now I'm just making sure there's a good solution for engine management before I pull the trigger on a Procharger kit. Right now I'm leaning toward piggybacking a standalone (probably MS3) on my stock ECM, but I think this code would do the trick. My main requirements are:
  • Has to be easily revertable to stock or visually similar so I can pass CA smog
  • Has to preserve ECM/CCM comms so the dash MPG display works
  • Has to be able to run a flex fuel sensor
  • No lift shift would be nice
  • Ability to control a wastegate and possibly water injection pump would be nice
Not sure about the last two points, but I think this code would tick the first three bullets and be much cheaper than any standalone. Probably easier too since I'm already familiar with $8D. What is left to be done before this code is ready?
Old 01-05-2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
I'd offer to test, but I'm a long way off from boost. Right now I'm just making sure there's a good solution for engine management before I pull the trigger on a Procharger kit. Right now I'm leaning toward piggybacking a standalone (probably MS3) on my stock ECM, but I think this code would do the trick. My main requirements are:
  • Has to be easily revertable to stock or visually similar so I can pass CA smog
  • Has to preserve ECM/CCM comms so the dash MPG display works
  • Has to be able to run a flex fuel sensor
  • No lift shift would be nice
  • Ability to control a wastegate and possibly water injection pump would be nice
Not sure about the last two points, but I think this code would tick the first three bullets and be much cheaper than any standalone. Probably easier too since I'm already familiar with $8D. What is left to be done before this code is ready?
Well, The code is pretty basic work. It's got extended tables and MAF ranges so it might be ready to go as-is with basic tuning. It's a tune so everything else is as it is now. Swap the MAF and off you go.

Flex fuel I'm going to be honest, probably not going to happen at this point. There's no E85 near me anymore so I have lost interest in it.
Really not hard to do. Run a repeating cycle to check fuel trims every few minutes, adjust and store a multiple to correct fueling across the board instead of just closed loop.

Also the same way can I planned to be done to automatically adjust the entire timing table up or down until it knocks or until an acceptable threshold of knock. Recheck every so often at WOT.

No lift shift, is not necessarily impossible but can't be implemented in an ideal way as the computer has no idea when the clutch is engaged and it's not a drive by wire car.

Wastegate control I had planned too but the longer this turbo sits on the shelf the more I realize I won't ever get around to doing everything I wanted and it would have required an arduino anyway so that can still be done by somebody and used at the same time.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:22 AM

Well, The code is pretty basic work. It's got extended tables and MAF ranges so it might be ready to go as-is with basic tuning. It's a tune so everything else is as it is now. Swap the MAF and off you go.

Flex fuel I'm going to be honest, probably not going to happen at this point. There's no E85 near me anymore so I have lost interest in it.
Really not hard to do. Run a repeating cycle to check fuel trims every few minutes, adjust and store a multiple to correct fueling across the board instead of just closed loop.

Also the same way can I planned to be done to automatically adjust the entire timing table up or down until it knocks or until an acceptable threshold of knock. Recheck every so often at WOT.

No lift shift, is not necessarily impossible but can't be implemented in an ideal way as the computer has no idea when the clutch is engaged and it's not a drive by wire car.

Wastegate control I had planned too but the longer this turbo sits on the shelf the more I realize I won't ever get around to doing everything I wanted and it would have required an arduino anyway so that can still be done by somebody and used at the same time.
Thanks for the info, those are all good points. It's seeming like piggybacking a Megasquirt would be a better solution for the type of stuff I'd like to do. I know it would be an immense commitment to teach myself assembly and be able to contribute to this code, and I think I'd still be unhappy with the compromises that are necessary with ancient hardware. If I can't figure out a *good* solution, I'll be happier just staying N/A.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Aftermarket boost control if you are trying to run a wastegate on a blower car to control boost
Old 02-15-2021, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro-1LE
Engine: TPI(s)
Transmission: 5 speed (MM5, MK6)
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.73

Hi. Question for you. I've found an unfinished Turbo TPI setup (7730) and was looking to either use code59 or try to hack the VE/Spark tables with a 2bar map ... seems you already did just that! I downloaded the BIN/XDF. Is there a flag you have to set to make it use the extended tables or are the OEM ones there simply as a reference? And there isn't any boost "adders" or "multipliers" anywhere ... just set the VE based on wideband I figure. Should be enough to get it going to get more data.

Mark.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM

Hey, currently I'm pretty removed from the project, but not permanently abandoned. Just way down on priorities list right now.

I don't remember any switches for that, but it's been quite a while since I set this up. I am pretty sure it's the same code I've been running since posting and that's the exact xdf file I used. I think I was pretty good at posting about implemented changes on what was altered so that people could use and adapt to my work very easily just from this thread alone. It was an incredibly simple set of changes. The crazy stuff was mostly in my head or hidden in the code and not defined and maybe not even posted. Again, I don't remember! But it is disabled if not in the XDF.
Just take it easy and go slow with the boost until you've fully tested it or run into issues to be addressed.

Don't really know if this helps but hopefully it's something!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Hey, currently I'm pretty removed from the project, but not permanently abandoned. Just way down on priorities list right now.

I don't remember any switches for that, but it's been quite a while since I set this up. I am pretty sure it's the same code I've been running since posting and that's the exact xdf file I used. I think I was pretty good at posting about implemented changes on what was altered so that people could use and adapt to my work very easily just from this thread alone. It was an incredibly simple set of changes. The crazy stuff was mostly in my head or hidden in the code and not defined and maybe not even posted. Again, I don't remember! But it is disabled if not in the XDF.
Just take it easy and go slow with the boost until you've fully tested it or run into issues to be addressed.

Don't really know if this helps but hopefully it's something!
For sure it's been a few years. I just wasn't sure if the BIN worked with 1 BAR or 2 BAR map ... or always 2 BAR. I"ll guess the later and see how it goes. I've used the 12p code on a 165 ... slow process to dial it in, but it does work.

Thanks for the efforts invested!
Mark.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_ZZ3
For sure it's been a few years. I just wasn't sure if the BIN worked with 1 BAR or 2 BAR map ... or always 2 BAR. I"ll guess the later and see how it goes. I've used the 12p code on a 165 ... slow process to dial it in, but it does work.

Thanks for the efforts invested!
Mark.
early in the thread I say exactly how to check/tune the 1/2/3 bar map on the bin file.
Should be very easy to check/edit with what I posted.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:56 PM

Hey, I need some help. I have a 406 SBC, tuned and runs perfect on a 1 bar with S-AUJP. I recently added a Turbo, hot and cold side is all done. I have a 2 bar map and need a way to tune it. I'd like to stock with $8D becasue I spent alot of time getting it to run Nortstar DIS and control my fans, speed-o perfectly. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Try S_AUJP V7 ... has 2 & 3 bar support now.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Hey, I need some help. I have a 406 SBC, tuned and runs perfect on a 1 bar with S-AUJP. I recently added a Turbo, hot and cold side is all done. I have a 2 bar map and need a way to tune it. I'd like to stock with $8D becasue I spent alot of time getting it to run Nortstar DIS and control my fans, speed-o perfectly. Any help will be appreciated.
you could keep boost low and scan every pass as you increase torque demand. If you notice major discrepancies it would be easy to see prior to danger. The code is simple, basic and complete. Not a single person has tested and responded. Feel free to do so.

ive been running this since the threads inception. BUT the turbo is still in its box. Real estate is more fun right now.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 AM

OMG, I'm stunned! Thanks. Where do I send gifts?
Old 02-10-2023, 03:11 PM

Lost all of my personal disassembly on this stuff so I am reverse engineering my own work right now. I've realized that the Scalars and Offsets above are incorrect. I've got new values and I'll update them up there.
I also have updated the tunerpro file to allow quick and easy scalar and offset changes for anybody that wants to run any MAP sensor with this.

Pretty easy to reverse engineer my own work, but I've forgotten a lot of the stuff I hid in there. All I wanted was to tune my car and here I am obsessed with this again...