Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fog Lights Won't Stay On!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights Won't Stay On!

Ok guys I need a little help.
The car 1990 GTA.
I replaced the Remote Dimmer Switch (hey I got dash lights now!!!)
Wired up the factory foglights.
Replaced the Fog Light Relay.
Replaced the 30 amp circuit breaker.

I've been checking and rechecking all the factory wiring with my tester.

Everything seems in order, power where it should be with the exception that the little lights in the fog light switch itself do not work.

When you press the fog light switch the fog lights go on but turn off as soon as you release the switch.

Should the rocker style foglight switch stay down or is it suppose to press and reset itself?

Has the switch itself gone bad?

I know you have to have the headlights or at least the parking lights on before the foglights will work

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: Fog Lights Won't Stay On!

Are you referring to the split rocker parking light switch? Or the lower fog light switch? On the fog light switch, there are 2 button...1 On, 1 Off. And the Off switch pops and stays up. I hate to say it, but are you pushing the Off one? It will pop right up.

Either way, they should stay down. I leave my fog light button pushed in 24/7. And just turn on the parking lights, which in turn powers the fog light switch, then turns on the fog lights.

Last edited by Stephen; 08-23-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Well I figured it out...some clown had the top rocker off the switch and put it back together backwards! I took the switch apart and seen the little spring loaded stops were not meeting the holes on the other side of the switch.
A quick flip and snap together and I have fog lights when I push the button!!! Woohoo! The rocker stays down completing the circuit. It pretty much took the whole day to fix and replace all the broken parts...not to mention the broken and spliced wires.

Anyway the search feature is excellent on this site and I found all the answers to my questions on old posts!

Great site!!!

Dave

PS. The one lilttle light works in the switch when the fog lights are on but the other one doesn't work when the dash lights are on...does anyone know where to buy replacement mini-lights?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by 69 Six Pack
Well I figured it out...some clown had the top rocker off the switch and put it back together backwards! I took the switch apart and seen the little spring loaded stops were not meeting the holes on the other side of the switch.
A quick flip and snap together and I have fog lights when I push the button!!! Woohoo! The rocker stays down completing the circuit. It pretty much took the whole day to fix and replace all the broken parts...not to mention the broken and spliced wires.

Anyway the search feature is excellent on this site and I found all the answers to my questions on old posts!

Great site!!!

Dave

PS. The one lilttle light works in the switch when the fog lights are on but the other one doesn't work when the dash lights are on...does anyone know where to buy replacement mini-lights?
This may be a stupid question but how did you flip the rocker switch? Mine is doing the same thing but cant figure out how to flip the rocker around
Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM

That was 10 years ago so I can't quite remember. I think I actually separated the switch itself as I was going to clean the contacts but I really can't remember now. But I did get them working. Good luck I chased my tail on that one for awhile.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights Won't Stay On!-gta3.jpg