Advice in UK - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


European Region For all of our Third Gen brothers and sisters across the pond!

Advice in UK

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Advice in UK

hi all,

im currently looking at getting a gen3 over here in the UK. Iím based near York and wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of garages who may be able to do whatever conversion work may be nesessary in getting a US car road legal for UK.

many thanks
Adi
scuttler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Posts: 528
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Re: Advice in UK

Big&BadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lakenheath, UK
Posts: 45
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Re: Advice in UK

I am stationed in the UK currently. I brought my car over with me. The conversion only involves getting the light rewired to meet specs. Pretty much any of the garages down near the American bases can do the work. Depending on year and model that you get will change the amount of work that needs to be done. For a specific garage there is Coopers garage in Mildenhall that a lot of people use for light conversions. I did all the conversion for the rear myself. It really wasnt hard. The other issue to worry about is the parking brake. The parking brake setup sucks if it is the early style calipers. I am wrapping up from upgrading my brakes because of this issue. Even with all new factory stuff the parking brake isn't that good. Would love to see more third gens here.
nova983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Re: Advice in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova983 View Post
I am stationed in the UK currently. I brought my car over with me. The conversion only involves getting the light rewired to meet specs. Pretty much any of the garages down near the American bases can do the work. Depending on year and model that you get will change the amount of work that needs to be done. For a specific garage there is Coopers garage in Mildenhall that a lot of people use for light conversions. I did all the conversion for the rear myself. It really wasnt hard. The other issue to worry about is the parking brake. The parking brake setup sucks if it is the early style calipers. I am wrapping up from upgrading my brakes because of this issue. Even with all new factory stuff the parking brake isn't that good. Would love to see more third gens here.
Thanks, Im relatively competent and would happily have ago at this if thereís a guide available?Also, whatís the rules regarding side indicators/repeaters?Thanks for the help
scuttler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Re: Advice in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA View Post
Thank you, Iíve dropped them a line.
scuttler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lakenheath, UK
Posts: 45
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Re: Advice in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttler01 View Post
Thanks, Im relatively competent and would happily have ago at this if thereís a guide available?Also, whatís the rules regarding side indicators/repeaters?Thanks for the help
Basically for the rear if you get one that doesn't have the amber lights like a base model firebird some years you ha e to make the rear turn signals work with amber bulbs. I used the reverse light but changed the sockets out to the dual filament bulb like the other bulbs. I was able have them then be the turn signal and reverse lights. Also the reverse fog light needed to be hooked up. I just wires it into the existing front for light switch. The fronts technically need to have the marker lights and the turn signals separated. The marker lights need to be white and turn signal amber. The side light should be the same concept. To be honest I didn't end up doing the front. I was able to pass the mot just fine. It is mostly looking at the diagrams to see what wires need to be rerouted. I would be able to be more specific if you knew what year and model you were getting. I can help if you move forward with getting one. I will be driving mine again soon hopefully. Just need to fix rear end leak.
nova983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Re: Advice in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova983 View Post
Basically for the rear if you get one that doesn't have the amber lights like a base model firebird some years you ha e to make the rear turn signals work with amber bulbs. I used the reverse light but changed the sockets out to the dual filament bulb like the other bulbs. I was able have them then be the turn signal and reverse lights. Also the reverse fog light needed to be hooked up. I just wires it into the existing front for light switch. The fronts technically need to have the marker lights and the turn signals separated. The marker lights need to be white and turn signal amber. The side light should be the same concept. To be honest I didn't end up doing the front. I was able to pass the mot just fine. It is mostly looking at the diagrams to see what wires need to be rerouted. I would be able to be more specific if you knew what year and model you were getting. I can help if you move forward with getting one. I will be driving mine again soon hopefully. Just need to fix rear end leak.
Great. Thanks for that. Iíve currently got my eye on 2 different ones, just a case of the US seller happy with me being in th UK...
scuttler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Re: Advice in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttler01 View Post
Great. Thanks for that. Iíve currently got my eye on 2 different ones, just a case of the US seller happy with me being in th UK...
A bit more advice required. Seriously looking at a 1985 trans am based in Washington. Iíve just been sent a video of the instrument cluster send the speedo only goes to 80mph full scale??? Didnít look right to me-any ideas?
scuttler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 AM   #9  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 278
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD

Re: Advice in UK

are you after a particular model/ options? There's (on the surface) a nice 91 GTA on car and classic. Looks to be priced competitively if there are no major issues. I'd seriously consider it if I werent knees deep in my car (and I need t-tops in my life)
GTA1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Re: Advice in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA1990 View Post
are you after a particular model/ options? There's (on the surface) a nice 91 GTA on car and classic. Looks to be priced competitively if there are no major issues. I'd seriously consider it if I werent knees deep in my car (and I need t-tops in my life)
Hi, thanks for that. Not personally keen on front end on that one. Iíve gone ahead with the 85 (after much research)- just awaiting shipping to be arranged. Canít wait!
scuttler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody advice on Holley Commander ECU skip Aftermarket Product Review 2 01-18-2003 10:15 PM
TPI Intake advice MikeC.86Roc Aftermarket Product Review 9 11-09-2000 08:20 PM
Need advice on aftermarket TPI base and runners Aaron's 87 Aftermarket Product Review 4 11-04-2000 09:32 AM
About to install B&M megashifter, any advice ? 91Z28 Aftermarket Product Review 3 10-26-2000 11:08 AM
Getting torque thrust II's need advice 91Z28 Aftermarket Product Review 1 09-29-2000 06:58 PM


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


All content copyright © 1997 - 2018 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: