European Region For all of our Third Gen brothers and sisters across the pond!

Advice in UK

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice in UK

hi all,

im currently looking at getting a gen3 over here in the UK. I’m based near York and wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of garages who may be able to do whatever conversion work may be nesessary in getting a US car road legal for UK.

many thanks
Adi
Old 01-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A
Re: Advice in UK

Might try Robin Gray:
http://www.autopontiac.co.uk/about.shtml
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.70

I am stationed in the UK currently. I brought my car over with me. The conversion only involves getting the light rewired to meet specs. Pretty much any of the garages down near the American bases can do the work. Depending on year and model that you get will change the amount of work that needs to be done. For a specific garage there is Coopers garage in Mildenhall that a lot of people use for light conversions. I did all the conversion for the rear myself. It really wasnt hard. The other issue to worry about is the parking brake. The parking brake setup sucks if it is the early style calipers. I am wrapping up from upgrading my brakes because of this issue. Even with all new factory stuff the parking brake isn't that good. Would love to see more third gens here.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by nova983
I am stationed in the UK currently. I brought my car over with me. The conversion only involves getting the light rewired to meet specs. Pretty much any of the garages down near the American bases can do the work. Depending on year and model that you get will change the amount of work that needs to be done. For a specific garage there is Coopers garage in Mildenhall that a lot of people use for light conversions. I did all the conversion for the rear myself. It really wasnt hard. The other issue to worry about is the parking brake. The parking brake setup sucks if it is the early style calipers. I am wrapping up from upgrading my brakes because of this issue. Even with all new factory stuff the parking brake isn't that good. Would love to see more third gens here.
Thanks, Im relatively competent and would happily have ago at this if there’s a guide available?Also, what’s the rules regarding side indicators/repeaters?Thanks for the help
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
Thank you, I’ve dropped them a line.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Originally Posted by scuttler01
Thanks, Im relatively competent and would happily have ago at this if there’s a guide available?Also, what’s the rules regarding side indicators/repeaters?Thanks for the help
Basically for the rear if you get one that doesn't have the amber lights like a base model firebird some years you ha e to make the rear turn signals work with amber bulbs. I used the reverse light but changed the sockets out to the dual filament bulb like the other bulbs. I was able have them then be the turn signal and reverse lights. Also the reverse fog light needed to be hooked up. I just wires it into the existing front for light switch. The fronts technically need to have the marker lights and the turn signals separated. The marker lights need to be white and turn signal amber. The side light should be the same concept. To be honest I didn't end up doing the front. I was able to pass the mot just fine. It is mostly looking at the diagrams to see what wires need to be rerouted. I would be able to be more specific if you knew what year and model you were getting. I can help if you move forward with getting one. I will be driving mine again soon hopefully. Just need to fix rear end leak.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by nova983
Basically for the rear if you get one that doesn't have the amber lights like a base model firebird some years you ha e to make the rear turn signals work with amber bulbs. I used the reverse light but changed the sockets out to the dual filament bulb like the other bulbs. I was able have them then be the turn signal and reverse lights. Also the reverse fog light needed to be hooked up. I just wires it into the existing front for light switch. The fronts technically need to have the marker lights and the turn signals separated. The marker lights need to be white and turn signal amber. The side light should be the same concept. To be honest I didn't end up doing the front. I was able to pass the mot just fine. It is mostly looking at the diagrams to see what wires need to be rerouted. I would be able to be more specific if you knew what year and model you were getting. I can help if you move forward with getting one. I will be driving mine again soon hopefully. Just need to fix rear end leak.
Great. Thanks for that. I’ve currently got my eye on 2 different ones, just a case of the US seller happy with me being in th UK...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by scuttler01
Great. Thanks for that. I’ve currently got my eye on 2 different ones, just a case of the US seller happy with me being in th UK...
A bit more advice required. Seriously looking at a 1985 trans am based in Washington. I’ve just been sent a video of the instrument cluster send the speedo only goes to 80mph full scale??? Didn’t look right to me-any ideas?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L31, LT4 hot cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD

are you after a particular model/ options? There's (on the surface) a nice 91 GTA on car and classic. Looks to be priced competitively if there are no major issues. I'd seriously consider it if I werent knees deep in my car (and I need t-tops in my life)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by GTA1990
are you after a particular model/ options? There's (on the surface) a nice 91 GTA on car and classic. Looks to be priced competitively if there are no major issues. I'd seriously consider it if I werent knees deep in my car (and I need t-tops in my life)
Hi, thanks for that. Not personally keen on front end on that one. I’ve gone ahead with the 85 (after much research)- just awaiting shipping to be arranged. Can’t wait!