Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Sweet Thunder True Duals ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet Thunder True Duals ?

Does anyone have these on their car, curious as to how loud they are. Don't want anything excessively loud, just a rumble. https://sweetthundermi.com/products/...b-v8-only.html
Old 09-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Sweet Thunder True Duals ?

Not that you asked about this, but that system is crush bent which more or less makes that 2.5” dual system flow very little if any better than a single 3” mandrel bent system. A good single 3.5” mandrel bent system would definitely make more power – if that’s a concern. Generally,,, there’s about a 20% reduction in the potential of the power you could make with a straight pipe compared to a typical full length exhaust system when using mandrel bends. The crimping/chrushing of the pipes in that system you linked is pretty obvious in the pictures and there are a LOT more bends in that system than a “typical” dual exhaust. Plus, the louvers in those “crimped tubed” round chambered mufflers protrude into the flow area. I can’t say that they are bad, but I do know there are plenty of systems and mufflers out there that are documented to not cause any drop in power (when appropriately sized) and I’d pick a known commodity over an unknown any day.

Here’s a little more info on crushed vs mandrel if you’re not dead set on that system.

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/muffler_myths.htm
Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Those systems sound good! Definitely not super quiet and definitely have alot of rumble

I didnt have the duals but i had a similar muffler on my L98's single exhaust. Loved it. Had duals on my ls1 with a similar muffler, also great sounding
Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I was kinda wondering about the pressure bends and if that was a bad idea. Sounds like they could be louder than I like also. I'l get something more proven like you said. I stumbled across a 82 Z28 and I was going to flip it to make a buck but I kinda like it, except for the no power thing. I know getting rid of the crappy exhaust is non negotiable and I'm narrowing down what I want to do with the motor yet.

Last edited by 53chevy5; 09-07-2017 at 09:33 PM.