Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

NEED HELP FINDING FLANGE BEHIND DUAL CATS

Old 01-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP FINDING FLANGE BEHIND DUAL CATS

Hey guys,

So I have a 91 Trans Am GTA with a 3" Dual Cat Setup that is stock up to the point where someone must have repaired it by removing the flange connector and welding in a 3" coupler in that spot. Must have been rusting pretty bad or something.

Well anyways, I recently bought a Magnaflow 16829 SS cat back and I need help finding a flange attachment that will work with the cats so that I can weld that new flange behind the cats rather than welding my new SS exhaust to an old steel exhaust (which admittedly might turn out like crap). I'd rather not weld my $500+ new cat back, especially to normal steel.

Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FINDING FLANGE BEHIND DUAL CATS

GM only used a flange from 89.5-91.5. All the later 91s and 92s used a slip joint with a band clamp. The flange is a pain in the *** anyway. The V-band clamp that GM used is obsolete. The flange (both halves) have to be absolutely perfect, or the clamp won't seal.

Option 1: Obtain an exhaust flange set, whether it's a V-band set, or a 3-bolt header collector style flange, or a generic ball/socket flange... Then weld one half to your cat-back and the other to the outlet from the cats.

Option 2: Use a slip-fit joint and a band clamp.