Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM
  #1  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
 
gt4373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,037
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Seems Like Dynomax Is No Longer Making Exhaust Systems For Third Gens.



gt4373 is offline  
Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 654
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

That's ok, their 4th gen systems work great for catback set ups with a bit of fab...
WTR388 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 PM
  #3  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (4)
 
82tarecaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,666
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

That's a shame. It was probably the closest thing to an oem looking exhaust system we had as an option. Sounds good too.
82tarecaro is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 PM
  #4  
Member
 
C2YT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 439
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 4.8l LS
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

I'll look into this and update when I can. I work here at Tenneco and can get a final answer. Sometimes we have website glitches when the data is uploaded, this could be one of those issues.
C2YT is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 08:10 AM
  #5  
Member
 
C2YT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 439
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 4.8l LS
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

No products have been obsoleted, we are having an issue with the website lookup. If you type in the part numbers in the search bar it will populate. Sorry for the inconvenience, I am working to get it fixed now.
C2YT is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 12:34 PM
  #6  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (28)
 
Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 17,688
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Originally Posted by C2YT View Post
No products have been obsoleted, we are having an issue with the website lookup. If you type in the part numbers in the search bar it will populate. Sorry for the inconvenience, I am working to get it fixed now.
Any chance of whispering in the right ear to get some additional exhaust options? Specifically all the thirdgen catbacks are 2.5" at the muffler inlet. If a 3" option was available, it'd be a lot more popular. The late 4th gen intermediate pipes are really close, it wouldn't take much to put together a 3" system.

A few short adapters, like most other manufacturers use, could be offered to adapt a 3" intermediate pipe to the large single cat, smaller cats, dual cats, etc. That way you could have one pair of stock style 2.5" exhaust pipes, one 3" in/dual 2.5" out muffler, one intermediate pipe, and less than half a dozen simple adapters, which would cover all the popular thirdgen options. A person with a low output 305 could buy the same kit as someone with a high output 305, and they'd have the option of changing the adapter later when they upgrade the rest of the exhaust. The way things are now, most people aren't going to buy Walker/Dynomax because of the 2.5" reduction at the muffler inlet, and lack of coverage for different models.

Not sure why Summit doesn't seem to stock the 53061/54064 pipes anymore, but if they go away that'd about kill the thirdgen market. It'd also be nice if the dual cat version of the 46669 intermediate pipe came back.

Stock style early and late thirdgen tailpipes would be nice too. The currently offered tail pipes look sorta like the early thirdgens, but they also look to be crush bent.

Anyway, just rambling.
Drew is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM
  #7  
Member
 
C2YT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 439
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 4.8l LS
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Trust me, I hear you. There are a lot of things going on here at Tenneco, especially with the acquisition of Federal Mogul. Not to mention, Tenneco is a very large company and things tend to move slowly. I will try and mention something when the opportunity presents itself. These kits are not top sellers though, so others tend to take precedent.
C2YT is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 01:04 PM
  #8  
Member
 
oldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 207
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 LB8 HO
Transmission: 700R4 with OD
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 7.625 open-factory 3.42
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

The Dynomax catalog still does not load for thirdgens and Rockauto appears to be selling out the last of their Dynomax kits for our cars. What's up?
oldschool is offline  
Old 11-23-2018, 01:47 PM
  #9  
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
 
gt4373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,037
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Seems Like Walker/Dynomax Has Also Dropped The Intermediate Pipe For The High Output L69 Engine With The 4-Bolt Cat,It's No Longer Listed On Rock Auto.
gt4373 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
sshoureas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 79
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

good thing I bought mine earlier this year. I wanted something that looked stock and Dynomax was the only option I could find. I guess this will leave stock looking options
sshoureas is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM
  #11  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (2)
 
83 Crossfire TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,654
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 12SHO 04Cummins
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro View Post
That's a shame. It was probably the closest thing to an oem looking exhaust system we had as an option. Sounds good too.
That's because Walker/Dynomax was one of the original suppliers.

Originally Posted by C2YT View Post
No products have been obsoleted, we are having an issue with the website lookup. If you type in the part numbers in the search bar it will populate. Sorry for the inconvenience, I am working to get it fixed now.
This used to be where a traditional, old school speed shop shined... they got new copies of the print books every year, that in a lot of cases just added new pages, the old stuff was kept. You just turn to the right page, grab the PN for whichever version of say the intermediate pipe you needed and tried to see if you could order that number from Keystone or Atech... A lot of the time the oddball "I want the one that they used in 8_ whatever, with this inlet and that outlet..." exists if you can find the PN, but the online catalogs don't show them.

I wish the full print catalogs were more available/more easily available.

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Any chance of whispering in the right ear to get some additional exhaust options? Specifically all the thirdgen catbacks are 2.5" at the muffler inlet. If a 3" option was available, it'd be a lot more popular. The late 4th gen intermediate pipes are really close, it wouldn't take much to put together a 3" system.

A few short adapters, like most other manufacturers use, could be offered to adapt a 3" intermediate pipe to the large single cat, smaller cats, dual cats, etc. That way you could have one pair of stock style 2.5" exhaust pipes, one 3" in/dual 2.5" out muffler, one intermediate pipe, and less than half a dozen simple adapters, which would cover all the popular thirdgen options. A person with a low output 305 could buy the same kit as someone with a high output 305, and they'd have the option of changing the adapter later when they upgrade the rest of the exhaust. The way things are now, most people aren't going to buy Walker/Dynomax because of the 2.5" reduction at the muffler inlet, and lack of coverage for different models.

Not sure why Summit doesn't seem to stock the 53061/54064 pipes anymore, but if they go away that'd about kill the thirdgen market. It'd also be nice if the dual cat version of the 46669 intermediate pipe came back.

Stock style early and late thirdgen tailpipes would be nice too. The currently offered tail pipes look sorta like the early thirdgens, but they also look to be crush bent.

Anyway, just rambling.
1- the Walker end of Walker/Dynomax did OEM replacement, and typically had parts to replace all the factory configurations
2- the Dynomax end did aftermarket, and even if it makes sense to you for a part with this end and that end to existing, if it didn't make sense in a kit that covered a broad year range AND wasn't already available as an OEM replacement part then it doesn't make sense to make it.
3- These cars were never that popular and are not that likely to be. I like them, you like yours, but the rest of the world... nope, not really. Most of these things are 30-36years old now. Unless it's as popular as a 1st gen Camaro it's just not going to have the parts availability. Hell, first gen Mustangs are likely the second most popular "muscle cars" out there and exhaust parts selection sucks for them. Try to find a good performance aftermarket with oversize pipes exhaust for a first gen Mustang with factory track pack (the thing that gets in the way is staggered shocks), there is nothing that I know of, and you can't just buy different pipes from different places like you can for 3rd gens. Honestly, we're still pretty well off. 3rd gens are still riding on the fact that they were competition for the popular fox mustang when new and that a lot of 4th gen parts also fit... because of that we end up with better parts availability than the car's popularity deserves. More and more, get used to making stuff if you want it.

That said, most of your complaints/requests are easily worked around, like the fact that many intermediate pipes neck down to 2.5" (because the mufflers on the factory performance exhaust slid over a 2.5" pipe)- just lop the 2.5" end off and you're left with a 2.75" pipe (factory performance, this slip fits into a 3" pipe) or a 3" pipe with an aftermarket performance intermediate pipe. In a lot of cases the pipes are still long enough that you can make things fit, and it's not a big problem to either use a band clamp or to weld a small straight section in there if necessary.

83 Crossfire TA is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ambainb
LSX and LTX Parts
4
03-17-2019 11:09 PM
SLP IROC-Z
Exhaust
4
10-22-2003 12:23 AM
chrsl02
Exhaust
0
03-25-2002 12:42 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NO MORE DYNOMAX?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: