Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
NO MORE DYNOMAX?

Seems Like Dynomax Is No Longer Making Exhaust Systems For Third Gens.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: NO MORE DYNOMAX?

That's ok, their 4th gen systems work great for catback set ups with a bit of fab...
Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

That's a shame. It was probably the closest thing to an oem looking exhaust system we had as an option. Sounds good too.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 4.8l LS
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I'll look into this and update when I can. I work here at Tenneco and can get a final answer. Sometimes we have website glitches when the data is uploaded, this could be one of those issues.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:10 AM

No products have been obsoleted, we are having an issue with the website lookup. If you type in the part numbers in the search bar it will populate. Sorry for the inconvenience, I am working to get it fixed now.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by C2YT
No products have been obsoleted, we are having an issue with the website lookup. If you type in the part numbers in the search bar it will populate. Sorry for the inconvenience, I am working to get it fixed now.
Any chance of whispering in the right ear to get some additional exhaust options? Specifically all the thirdgen catbacks are 2.5" at the muffler inlet. If a 3" option was available, it'd be a lot more popular. The late 4th gen intermediate pipes are really close, it wouldn't take much to put together a 3" system.

A few short adapters, like most other manufacturers use, could be offered to adapt a 3" intermediate pipe to the large single cat, smaller cats, dual cats, etc. That way you could have one pair of stock style 2.5" exhaust pipes, one 3" in/dual 2.5" out muffler, one intermediate pipe, and less than half a dozen simple adapters, which would cover all the popular thirdgen options. A person with a low output 305 could buy the same kit as someone with a high output 305, and they'd have the option of changing the adapter later when they upgrade the rest of the exhaust. The way things are now, most people aren't going to buy Walker/Dynomax because of the 2.5" reduction at the muffler inlet, and lack of coverage for different models.

Not sure why Summit doesn't seem to stock the 53061/54064 pipes anymore, but if they go away that'd about kill the thirdgen market. It'd also be nice if the dual cat version of the 46669 intermediate pipe came back.

Stock style early and late thirdgen tailpipes would be nice too. The currently offered tail pipes look sorta like the early thirdgens, but they also look to be crush bent.

Anyway, just rambling.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Trust me, I hear you. There are a lot of things going on here at Tenneco, especially with the acquisition of Federal Mogul. Not to mention, Tenneco is a very large company and things tend to move slowly. I will try and mention something when the opportunity presents itself. These kits are not top sellers though, so others tend to take precedent.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 LB8 HO
Transmission: 700R4 with OD
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 7.625 open-factory 3.42

The Dynomax catalog still does not load for thirdgens and Rockauto appears to be selling out the last of their Dynomax kits for our cars. What's up?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Seems Like Walker/Dynomax Has Also Dropped The Intermediate Pipe For The High Output L69 Engine With The 4-Bolt Cat,It's No Longer Listed On Rock Auto.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM

good thing I bought mine earlier this year. I wanted something that looked stock and Dynomax was the only option I could find. I guess this will leave stock looking options
Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
That's a shame. It was probably the closest thing to an oem looking exhaust system we had as an option. Sounds good too.
That's because Walker/Dynomax was one of the original suppliers.

Originally Posted by C2YT
This used to be where a traditional, old school speed shop shined... they got new copies of the print books every year, that in a lot of cases just added new pages, the old stuff was kept. You just turn to the right page, grab the PN for whichever version of say the intermediate pipe you needed and tried to see if you could order that number from Keystone or Atech... A lot of the time the oddball "I want the one that they used in 8_ whatever, with this inlet and that outlet..." exists if you can find the PN, but the online catalogs don't show them.

I wish the full print catalogs were more available/more easily available.

Originally Posted by Drew
Any chance of whispering in the right ear to get some additional exhaust options? Specifically all the thirdgen catbacks are 2.5" at the muffler inlet. If a 3" option was available, it'd be a lot more popular. The late 4th gen intermediate pipes are really close, it wouldn't take much to put together a 3" system.

A few short adapters, like most other manufacturers use, could be offered to adapt a 3" intermediate pipe to the large single cat, smaller cats, dual cats, etc. That way you could have one pair of stock style 2.5" exhaust pipes, one 3" in/dual 2.5" out muffler, one intermediate pipe, and less than half a dozen simple adapters, which would cover all the popular thirdgen options. A person with a low output 305 could buy the same kit as someone with a high output 305, and they'd have the option of changing the adapter later when they upgrade the rest of the exhaust. The way things are now, most people aren't going to buy Walker/Dynomax because of the 2.5" reduction at the muffler inlet, and lack of coverage for different models.

Not sure why Summit doesn't seem to stock the 53061/54064 pipes anymore, but if they go away that'd about kill the thirdgen market. It'd also be nice if the dual cat version of the 46669 intermediate pipe came back.

Stock style early and late thirdgen tailpipes would be nice too. The currently offered tail pipes look sorta like the early thirdgens, but they also look to be crush bent.

Anyway, just rambling.
1- the Walker end of Walker/Dynomax did OEM replacement, and typically had parts to replace all the factory configurations
2- the Dynomax end did aftermarket, and even if it makes sense to you for a part with this end and that end to existing, if it didn't make sense in a kit that covered a broad year range AND wasn't already available as an OEM replacement part then it doesn't make sense to make it.
3- These cars were never that popular and are not that likely to be. I like them, you like yours, but the rest of the world... nope, not really. Most of these things are 30-36years old now. Unless it's as popular as a 1st gen Camaro it's just not going to have the parts availability. Hell, first gen Mustangs are likely the second most popular "muscle cars" out there and exhaust parts selection sucks for them. Try to find a good performance aftermarket with oversize pipes exhaust for a first gen Mustang with factory track pack (the thing that gets in the way is staggered shocks), there is nothing that I know of, and you can't just buy different pipes from different places like you can for 3rd gens. Honestly, we're still pretty well off. 3rd gens are still riding on the fact that they were competition for the popular fox mustang when new and that a lot of 4th gen parts also fit... because of that we end up with better parts availability than the car's popularity deserves. More and more, get used to making stuff if you want it.

That said, most of your complaints/requests are easily worked around, like the fact that many intermediate pipes neck down to 2.5" (because the mufflers on the factory performance exhaust slid over a 2.5" pipe)- just lop the 2.5" end off and you're left with a 2.75" pipe (factory performance, this slip fits into a 3" pipe) or a 3" pipe with an aftermarket performance intermediate pipe. In a lot of cases the pipes are still long enough that you can make things fit, and it's not a big problem to either use a band clamp or to weld a small straight section in there if necessary.