Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

anyone know of something similar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi
anyone know of something similar?

ok, im not just refering to just thiregen's but just flat out any vehicle. Iv noticed most people, when wating kinda an ram air setup from their hood, they will have their usually custom with cone filter right behind the open part of the hood.

But iv always though to make more power to have an flexible tube from the hood that leads to the TB, and have the custom air filter directly infront of the TB so it straightens out the air an bit which supposely helps making more power, is this an stupid idea or not? And even have an few slits going down the tube with an catch can right below so less water would get into the engine.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Supreme Member

Re: anyone know of something similar?

....................................................................................
sorry for all the dots, i was tapping to the beat of motley crue girls girls girls LOL.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't recall if I've ever seen something like that. The idea is not new to me, so perhaps I have.

The problem is this.... if the intake hose is long enough to allow you to fully open the hood, then when you close the hood you're going to have a bunch of excess that's going to kind've set itself down wherever it lands and it could bunch up and become restrictive. You could setup some kind of hose that has tension on it when the hood opens, but this is going to constantly fight your hood struts and either the struts are going to wear out prematurely, or the hose is.

It doesn't seem practical for the small amount of HP gains you _might_ see from it.

If you're that insistent on having the hood vents directly ducted into the throttle body, you're much better off coming up with some type of shaker design. You could still port it to a set of "ram air" nostril type holes in the hood, but the hood would rest on it and seal around it, rather than have a hose that stretches every time you open the hood.

I still don't know that you'll see a lot of performance gains though.

I'm no expert on EFI, but I do know there's an air/fuel ratio that has to be within range. The more air you stuff into that engine the more fuel it's going to use. At some point the stock injectors won't be enough and you'll have to add bigger ones. Whether that is something that will happen with just an intake swap or you'd need to do a turbo swap to meet those standards I don't know.

Aside from adding more air, the goal is to add cooler air. It seems like you can achieve just as much air and the same amount of cold air with a shaker style setup as you could with the one you described. I can see you being concerned about hood appearance, but that's part of fabrication... designing a system that does what you want it to. And if you want it to look a certain way, then that's got to be part of your design.

Mathius
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

hmm... true about the hose problem, i dont know what you call the material but its plasticky like but have you seen those little hoses that you use to like pore additives in your gas tank and whatnot? when bunched up they are only about an inch or two long but when you extend them they get around 8inches, or you could also make kinda an quick disconnect think that when you open the hood you just pull out an clip or something and the hose drops from the hood?

i know an shaker hood would be much more effective but i would like to keep the iroc hood (going FB iroc hood though) and thought this was an decent idea. I'll probaly just convert to map and stick and cone filter at the end of the tb, should make decent gains i would think. It would also be neat to turn around the louvers so its more of an ram air effect how the louvers would be catching the air and shooting it at the filter.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
hmm... true about the hose problem, i dont know what you call the material but its plasticky like but have you seen those little hoses that you use to like pore additives in your gas tank and whatnot? when bunched up they are only about an inch or two long but when you extend them they get around 8inches, or you could also make kinda an quick disconnect think that when you open the hood you just pull out an clip or something and the hose drops from the hood?

i know an shaker hood would be much more effective but i would like to keep the iroc hood (going FB iroc hood though) and thought this was an decent idea. I'll probaly just convert to map and stick and cone filter at the end of the tb, should make decent gains i would think. It would also be neat to turn around the louvers so its more of an ram air effect how the louvers would be catching the air and shooting it at the filter.
Ok, so I'm confused... you want to keep your iroc hood, so how were you going to do a ram air with the intake routed to the hood?

Mathius
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373

Originally Posted by iroc stangs

i know an shaker hood would be much more effective
The shaker hoods are less effective then you think.
building a ram air system isn't rocket science, there are tons and tons of threads and pages on Google showing some good illustrations.