Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

1982 MSE Trans Am 28k original miles $6K SOLD 9/30/2010 PLEASE DELETE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 MSE Trans Am 28k original miles $6K SOLD 9/30/2010 PLEASE DELETE!

SOLD FOR $6K! 9/30/2010

"This is the listing from craigslist. I'm changing my career path with my current employer and will be moving into an apartment in downtown Philadelphia. Originally, I was planning on getting a house that would have had a garage and space to store this car but that deal fell through. I'm considering using it as a daily driver but my "perfectionist" personality really hates the fact it would certainly become scarred by poor drivers, poor roads, neglect, and tough winters. I absolutely love this car and feel its too rare and too nice to subject it to this abuse so I'm regrettably selling it. More pictures and info are available upon request."

I'm selling a 1982 MSE edition Trans Am, #55 of 500 made in 1982 with 28,8xx original miles, purchased in april with 27,471 original miles. If your not familiar with a MSE Trans Am, it was shipped from GM to Mecham Pontiac in Glendale, Arizona. David Mecham of Mecham Racing/Mecham Pontiac upgraded the Pontiac Trans Am's appearance, interior, handling, and performance then shipped these cars out to Pontiac dealerships all over the country. The 1982 Mecham Racing Trans Am won the first and only SCCA Trans Am Series Championship for Pontiac in 1982 as well, which makes the 1982 MSE highly collectible. I am the second owner of this vehicle and the original owner purchased this car brand new back in 1982 for over $22,000 from Faulkner Pontiac in Philadelphia, PA. The car is in 100% factory stock condition with the exception of an aftermarket high flow air cleaner and replacement exhaust system but I do have the original air cleaner assembly that I will include with the sale. The complete "git kit" for this car (specific to MSE's) is still in the original packing, which included a Holley 600CFM carb, edelbrock non-egr intake manifold, mallory distributor, champion spark plugs, champion coil/cap/rotor, coil spark plug wires, a nitrous bottle, low restriction air cleaner, tri-y headers and a y-pipe. The git kit includes the directions for installing, all necessary gaskets and hardware, and everything is in the original boxes, even the spark plugs. This is not a joke, the original owner did not want to void the factory warranty so none of these parts were ever installed and all of them were left untouched in his garage for 28 years! On top of that I have the original paperwork for this car including the window sticker, brochures, bill of sale, and much more! I've spent thousands restoring this car back to its potential and it was appraised by Automotive Legal Services in Horsham, PA (have all the paperwork for appraisal and repairs) for $8,100 before new tires thousands in additional work. The car runs, drives and looks excellent and I've enjoyed every minute of owning it, which is making it really difficult that I have to put it up for sale now. I'm selling it for $7000 considering the appraisal, the rarity, the overall condition of the car, and the amount of time and money put into the car. This car is an excellent choice for a collector or someone that wants a cool, rare car in to enjoy trips to the shore, car shows, or to just to cruise in during the summer. No joy-riders, first-time drivers, trades of any kind, scammers or other bs, this is a serious car and I'm only interested in dealing with serious buyers. Thanks for your time and here is some information on this car:

Basic
-1982 MSE Trans Am, 28,800 Original Miles, Original Condition/Survivor, purchased April 5, 2010 with 27,471 miles
-305 LG4 With MSE Modifications (recurved distributor, advanced timing, and a CC Q-Jet for performance)
-Borg-Warner Super T-10 4 Speed Manual Close Ratio Transmission
-WS6 package upgraded to MSE package, Limited Slip Differential, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes
-Power Windows, Mirror, Antenna, Trunk Release; Courtesy Lighting Package, Fuel Filler Lock, Air Conditioning, Viper Alarm System, Tinted Windows

MSE Package
-MSE specific two-tone paint scheme, GM White with Black/Red/Blue Striping
-Low Resistance "AeroTail" Rear Spoiler
-Rear Window Louvers
-MSE and Mecham Racing Emblems (Hood, Driver's Side Headlight, Behind Both Doors, Rear Bumper)
-"GIT Kit (Holley Carb, Edelbrock Intake, Mallory Distributer, Champion Ignition Components, Headers, etc)
-Koni Adjustable Shocks with Stiffer Springs, Urethane Sway Bar Bushings, Rear Drop Limiter Straps, Extra Front Crossmember
-Modern Wheel 15X7 Alloys with brand new 255/60/15 inch firestone tires
-PMD Seats, MSE Dash Plaque (#55 of 500 for 1982), MSE Center Console Plaque, MSE GT style steering wheel, MSE Six Speaker Sound System with correct MSE Speaker Grills

Engine/Suspension/Other
-Engine bay detailed/cleaned
-New Delco alternator and New Battery
-All the vacuum lines and vacuum tees were replaced/repaired
-The original carb was cleaned, tuned, base gasket was replaced, and timing was checked/adjusted
-New spark plugs twice (initial startup then replaced again), New wires, New distributor cap & rotor
-New t-stat, New CTS sensor, All new belts and pulleys cleaned, New Choke T-Stat
-Repaired and replaced the original smog tube assemblies
-Replaced all hoses and drained/tested/refilled coolant system
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

-Exhaust system from the headers back replaced with new high flow cat converter and high flowing flowmaster exhaust system.
-Suspension inspected/greased and in perfect working order
-Brake pads replaced, rotors resurfaced, brake lines checked, master cylinder checked
-Wipers Replaced, Washer sprayers repaired, Horns Replaced, Side Marker Bulbs Replaced

Transmission
-Z-bar clutch linkage repaired professionally(broke in typical location)
-Shifter gate repaired (loose bolts) and greased and reassembled properly
-Transmission oil changed and vital transmission seals replaced/inspected

Interior
-All carpeting and floor mats were replaced
-Interior cleaned, floors were scrubbed, primed, painted and sound-proofed
-Sony CD player replaced with Jensen MP3 headunit with AUX cable for IPOD devices, door speakers replaced with pioneer 6 inch speakers.
-All electrical switches cleaned, wiring checked and organized to prevent issues
-PMD Seats Cleaned and Repaired, center console repaired/cleaned

Exterior
-Original paint in excellent condition
-Replaced both front rubber grills with high quality replacements
-Replaced all 4 center caps with correct GM/Pontiac caps that this car came with originally (have 1 original center cap)
-Cleaned wheels and rear louvers
-Hood struts replaced

Positives
-The engine runs excellent just like a lightly used car should and performs just as good as the day it rolled off the lot. Its responsive, idles smooth, and starts with ease. The transmission shifts smooth and the deep/smooth exhaust tone from this small block makes this car sound like a street warrior from decades ago.
-The handling is great at all speeds and in all conditions. Sometimes the ride can get bumpy due to the MSE upgrades but the car is well controlled at all speeds. The quick ratio steering box combined with the MSE suspension/wheel package simply assures you that you can never drive fast enough on a public road to exceed the handling limits of this car. It rides very smooth at all speeds which is why I loved driving it to the shore.
-The interior is extremely comfortable, quiet, and clean for even tall people and long trips. The radio sounds good enough that you can hear it crystal clear even at 70mph with the windows down in this car. I've driven the car with the windows up and its very quiet if you prefer to drive with the AC on and the exhaust tone isn't intrusive.
-The car is a head-turner wherever you go whether its running or just parked. The exhaust tone resembles that of a 60's muscle car and since the exterior/interior is in such great condition, people often stop you to check out the car and ask you about it.
-All the electronics work flawlessly, PW, PL, Mirrors, Trunk Release, Interior/Exterior Lighting, Pop-Up Headlights, etc.

Negatives
-Small cosmetic imperfections (nicks in the paint) on driver's side quarter panel lip where door meets, driver's door sagged slightly (door has been re-aligned) and was hitting the quarter panel, but its since been repaired slightly.
-The hinges at the top of the back window for the louvers have become brittle and broken from age and require replacement. I just became aware of this yesterday as they were fine until then. It's an easy fix just haven't had the chance as it just happened.
-The dew wipes on both doors show cracks and need to be replaced. It doesn't leak any water into the door or the car at all as I checked it several times. The window tint looks fine from the outside but inside the car it looks crappy (original from 1982) since its peeling in some spots. I haven't done this because 99% of the time I drive the car with the windows down.
-The AC needs to be recharged and it was last charged with R12 in 1999. The AC actually worked when I bought the car in April even after 10 years but after the second time I used, it started blowing hot air. The AC compressor still turns on normally and works fine.

I have pictures from both my camera phone and a professional camera. I took these pictures after taking it to the car wash on Saturday but the seats and the interior are still a little dirty. I'll include with the sale a complete set of new front suspension components from TRW and Moog that I bought just as a pre-caution in April since I was on a tangent to replace almost everything that I could think of all at once before putting the car on the road. However, both third-gen specific mechanics who inspected and worked on this car assured me that the suspension is perfect with no problems at all, which has been evident by the car's excellent handling, steering, and ride. Thanks again for looking and your time. My name is Sean and my email is smont855@gmail.com or pm Philly89Iroc if your interested.

Interior (cable on passenger floor is for connecting an Ipod)
Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0477.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  67.9 KB

Exterior
Name:  IMG_0472.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0473.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  62.4 KB

Engine/Misc
Name:  DSC00697.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  68.5 KB
Name:  DSC00555.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  59.1 KB
Name:  DSC00727.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  57.2 KB

Last edited by Philly89Iroc; 10-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Re: 1982 MSE Trans Am 28k original miles $7k

Bump. Comments, suggestions, offers, more pictures, etc?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Philly89Iroc
Bump. Comments, suggestions, offers, more pictures, etc?
Hi,

My am just speaking for myself but I am assuming that everyone knows that you paid $2K for the car from your next door neighbor and now want $7K. I am not saying its not worth $7K or more but maybe you are not getting any responses because of that.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

$2,000 was the purchase price for a non-running third gen that had not moved since 1999 and needed attention everywhere. Everything on the car was factory original with the exception of the dry-rotted tires, fan belts, the radio, and a battery. I spent close to $4,000 in restoration work just to be able to drive this car and make it into a presentable machine again before it was appraised by Automotive Legal Services (have notarized documentation) for $8,100. Since the appraisal, I've spent $3 grand in additional work including new tires and several other repairs. This was all done within a 3 month period with a little over a 1,000 miles of driving with this car.

Based on the rarity, the restoration work, and the appraisal, I believe the asking price is fair though I will consider some offers. I understand the asking price is high but its an MR MSE with 28,xxx original miles, the factory paint is in excellent condition, the GIT Kit in the original packaging with all of the original paperwork, and I invested thousands to get in into perfect driving condition. 1982 is also the year the MR MSE Trans Am won the first and only SCCA Racing Championship for Pontiac. This car is basically a third gen collector's dream.

If it doesn't sell or I can't find a reasonable offer, I'll keep it and drive it rain or shine because I'm not desperate at all to sell it. I've basically hit the crossroads where I either have to put it on a collector car policy and let it sit in my father's garage, which means I'll barely get to drive it, or subject it to daily driving. I just feel that its too nice of a car to subject to daily-driving abuse and deserves to be in the hands of an collector or a third gen enthusiast. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you got a nice car and the asking price is fair. just a tough market right now. i have been trying to sell a 73 grand am and a 74 roadrunner with no luck. i am hoping to move both so i can get a third gen trans am or camaro.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM

Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am "Daytona"
Engine: LG4 305 V8
Transmission: T5 5-speed

Wow, this is indeed a rare Bird! $7K is definitely a good asking price of an original MSE T/A with 28K miles. Good luck with the sale! Beautiful car!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM

do you know where i can get one of those spoilers?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Fornula 350
Engine: 350 L98 / NOS
Transmission: 4sp Auto

Spoiler car be purchased new from Dennis at MSE.
http://mechamperformance.com/d_docs/aerotail.html
Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ROBERTDMERRILL
Hi,

My am just speaking for myself but I am assuming that everyone knows that you paid $2K for the car from your next door neighbor and now want $7K. I am not saying its not worth $7K or more but maybe you are not getting any responses because of that.

Thanks,

Rob
In my opinion, I think this comment or suggestion was out of line for the public forum. If someone knew what he paid for it, that is there business, if they don't(which I didnt BTW), I don't think it is up to you to inform them. Unless of course you were involved in the purchase. I think that information would've been better provided through a PM. how would you feel if you were selling a house that you got for pennies on the market value dollar, and your real estate agent let every potential buyer know what you paid for it? That was completely uncalled for. just my opinion though!!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 player's trans am a4u (pepsi car
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Tough time to sell right now. Good luck, nice car, If I only had room. Not to many clutch car's out there, someone will get a rare one though.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Originally Posted by firechicken90
In my opinion, I think this comment or suggestion was out of line for the public forum. If someone knew what he paid for it, that is there business, if they don't(which I didnt BTW), I don't think it is up to you to inform them. Unless of course you were involved in the purchase. I think that information would've been better provided through a PM. how would you feel if you were selling a house that you got for pennies on the market value dollar, and your real estate agent let every potential buyer know what you paid for it? That was completely uncalled for. just my opinion though!!
I believe the OP posted on this forum what he paid for the vehicle. Anyone seriously considering it would look back on the sellers history and find that out. Just saves time is all, but it's also important for people to speak up if they know or think something should be said. I don't believe it hurt the sale at all and he will get what it's worth. How would you feel if you paid the full amount only to have someone point out later on what the previous owner paid for it? Better to know before hand and have everything upfront IMO.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 415 Likes on 250 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

Very nice rare T/A.

If I had not bought my 85 z 3 weeks ago and you were closer, I would have snatched this up.

Props to a great and rare T/A
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Bump. First $6000 takes the car, will not go any lower. I currently drive the car almost on a daily basis (not rainy days if I can avoid it) with absolutely no issues whatsoever, loving every minute of the driving experience. This car is the representation of the pinacle of Pontiac racing history and one of the few survivors built by a racing legend that isn't in a museum or a teapot in your mother's kitchen. You really have to see, drive, and experience this car in person to understand it.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

I'll give you 5k for it
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Sold for $6k! Mods please delete Thank you.