Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

[NC] 1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)

Completely re-edited after new details/changes to the car:

For Trade or Sale - Charlotte, NC

I have a running 1986 Red T-Top Firebird Trans Am that the previous owner was "trying" to convert into a GTA. The car was originally a fuel injected V8, and the previous owner installed a Chevy 350 from 1980 Chevy (engine stamp is 10N for Chevy - 1980 - Norwood). It has a Borg Warner T-5 manual transmission. Mechanic thought the engine might be an L82.

I purchased the car in spring of 2012. I have put in about $3500 in parts (with receipts), but do not have enough time and energy to complete the full restoration. The body is straight, all original (as far as I know), rust free and pretty much perfect. There is the typical under-body rust, but no rust on the car itself. It has a spoiler that will need to be replaced (rotten fiberglass), but from what I've seen they're about $300 to replace. A mechanic told me the body itself was worth probably $3k in its current condition.

The car sat for about 8 years before I purchased it, as the prior owner had the car and gave it to his son for the two of them to work on together, but the son was not interested in the car.

The car is running well after taking it a mechanic last week. He replaced the battery, alternator and fixed an issue with the timing. The car will need to have the exhaust manifolds replaced with headers or new manifolds. I just purchased Hooker 2250HKR headers (with air tubes), which I will throw into the trade or include in the sale for $450.

Good:

- I believe the engine has 43k miles on it. It appears the mileage was reset when they switched engines.
- Clear NC title in hand
- I've put in about $3500 into the car and another $500 in headers, which means I've replaced (or had the following replaced):
- Four brand new Firestone Champion HR tires (no miles on them) - cost about $150 a piece
- New radiator (and core), thermostat, water pump
- New Edelbrock 1406 carb
- New heavy-duty battery
- New alternator
- New master cylinder, brake lines and front brakes (all done by the Firestone dealer)
- Edelbrock chrome air cleaner
- Edelbrock chrome Valve covers and new seals
- Distributor cap, plugs and wires
- Mechanical Fuel pump
- Headlamps (motors work perfectly fine)
- New hood lifters
- New wipers
- Cooling system flushed twice
- New rear view mirror

- The transmission and clutch both seem to be working flawlessly. Seems to shift without issue.
- The engine is powerful. You can flick on the gas and it responds well.
- AC/Heater appear to be working. AC might need a refill soon, but it appears to be working.
- Front brakes were professionally replaced and work great. The rear drum brakes might need to be replaced - but overall they work great together.
- The heads are from 1973-75, and when I looked up the part number, they were considered very good stock performance Chevy heads from a Camaro/Chevelle/etc.
- It has custom rims that I believe are steel, with firebird emblems in the center caps.
- Original cassette radio still works - was planning on upgrading after everything else was done. Speakers work, but seem to be really crummy. It has a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk that came with the car. Will include in trade/sale.
- Have new outer window seals for both doors (about $100-150 for the set) but have not yet installed them. Passenger door needs the seals.
- The T-Tops do not leak, but the seals will need to be replaced eventually as they appear to be getting warped on the inside. I have the bags for the T-Tops.
- It has GTA badges/emblems all around - but it is most definitely not a GTA. The badges alone are worth a couple hundred dollars.
Bad:

- The car will need to be repainted sooner than later. The car was originally silver, but it was repainted twice - blue and now red and was touched up using automotive spray paint (I have the can from the prior owner for touch ups). They only repainted the outside. The floor boards and engine bay are still silver.
- There are a ton of electrical harnesses all over the place, which is from when it was fuel injected. Won't take too long to remove them.
- As mentioned before - it needs a new spoiler or the current spoiler removed.
- The interior is in okay condition with two main issues - cracked dashpad and poor console ($200 or so) and the headliner needs to be replaced sooner than later as it's dirty and old. The carpet was dyed by prior owner black and looks okay. Some of the metal trim could stand to be repainted.

TRADE/SALE DETAILS:
The car is 95% there in my opinion - it just needs someone who has the time and energy to get the car finished. The car is running, but it needs headers or new exhaust manifolds installed and AIR system hooked up to pass NC inspection, it's perfectly driveable - everything is there. The only thing really left to do is get it repainted and make some minor cosmetic changes (new dashpad, new/remove the spoiler, new headliner).

I'm looking to trade the car (about $5000 as I have about $6000 into the car with headers included). I would consider adding cash into trade.

I'm open to anything at this point including other projects. Ideally, I'd like something that's reliable and complete. The car is not currently my daily driver, but I'd like to trade for something to be my daily driver.

The cars I would like the most in trade (must have the clear title in-hand): anything classic, any sports car (camaro, firebird, Fiero GT, Corvette, Mustang, Supra), Jeeps, truck, classic non-muscle cars (if they're reliable), classic trucks, Jaguars, etc. I would consider trading for newer cars as well.

I would consider anything, so please email me with your potential trade. I want both parties to be happy out of the trade.

I would prefer to trade the car, but I would sell the car for $4000 without headers or $4450 with the headers (they are brand new in box and I can still return then for $500).
Attached Thumbnails 1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)-414021_3158732522048_1481607519_o.jpg   1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)-2013-01-13-14.33.22.jpg   1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)-2013-01-13-14.35.15  

Last edited by hamburglar; 01-13-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Want a title? Post!

Re: FOR TRADE OR $4450 - 1986 Firebird T-Top 5-Speed 350 4-BBL (EDITED)

Completely redid the posting - took car to mechanic and got it fixed up, found out more about the car as well
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Want a title? Post!

Re: FOR TRADE OR $4450 - 1986 Firebird T-Top 5-Speed 350 4-BBL (EDITED)

Bump

Added two more pictures to first post and three to this post.
Attached Thumbnails 1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)-2013-01-13-14.33.46   1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)-2013-01-13-14.33.33   1986 Firebird Trans Am T-Top 5-Speed 350 CARB'D (FOR TRADE OR SALE)-2013-01-13-14.36.28