History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Lear Siegler Camaro Conteur interior history

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes
Re: Lear Siegler Camaro Conteur interior history

If anyone is interested in pursuing that car and redoing it they should contact John in RI. He has a roll of that color spectrum fabric still.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I passed on this car because of it missing the dash plaque as that is the one thing that connects it to the Miss USA pagent. Would still be a good project car for someone..........................RatPack...............................
Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I just purchased some fabric in the brown for $31. The piece was 3 rows wide and 62" long which is the width of the roll. I plan on holding onto it until I can build a car for my son. I missed getting the red at $18 and the blue for $41. I plan on continuing my search for the grey.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I just purchased some fabric in the brown for $31. The piece was 3 rows wide and 62" long which is the width of the roll. I plan on holding onto it until I can build a car for my son. I missed getting the red at $18 and the blue for $41. I plan on continuing my search for the grey.
Grey is on ebay right now but not for 31 bucks lol. Guy wants 150 for the piece. If you really want it you can get it from Original auto interiors in Michigan for around 86. Thats the cheapest ive seen it.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

Its been awhile since i posted updates with my interior. Ive been busy on other things. But towards the end of the summer i finally finished off the interior (finished off the car too). here are two shots of the door panels. Also got a better power seat switch from ebay.

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  132.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1461.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Car: 84 z28, 86 irocz
Engine: LS6, 305 TPI
Transmission: TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 4.10

Originally Posted by chazman
It's funny.

In the '80's I just simply hated this interior. I thought it was gaudy and tasteless, and on top of that I really didn't even find the "Conteur" seats all that comfortable.

Now, that interior is a selling point when I'm looking at 3rd gens. Here's another irony. When new, I hated Crossfire because it was slow, couldn't beat a Mustang GT and it's worse sin - not available with a stick. Now I have one. And if I run across a blue CAMARO CAMARO CAMARO interior for it, I'll probably snag it too.
Id probably sell you mine.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 PM

Car: 83 z28

ive got a set of the blue camaro camaro camaro conteur seats in good condition what is the going price for them?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM

It really depends on whether they actually need to be recovered because of fading or rips, but on average around $350 with a sold rear fold down seat, and about $450-500 with the split fold-down rear seat. It costs so much to have them recovered that not too many people will step up to the plate and pay for them. I sold what I would call an NOS set of these seats and door panels about a 1-1/2 years ago for $2500.00, but they were new, as in less than 50 miles on the car when removed. The car was totalled during a demo ride when an unexperienced driver flipped it on its roof and flattened it! I bought the interior out of it then when the dealership used the car for its parts. Now it was the more desirable red/charcoal interior, but that would give you an idea. There were a set of seats on Craigslist about a month ago that a friend just bought and he gave $200.00 for them. They needed recovering due to being dirty and faded.........................Hope this helps..........RatPack.........
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Rat Pack
It really depends on whether they actually need to be recovered because of fading or rips, but on average around $350 with a sold rear fold down seat, and about $450-500 with the split fold-down rear seat. It costs so much to have them recovered that not too many people will step up to the plate and pay for them. I sold what I would call an NOS set of these seats and door panels about a 1-1/2 years ago for $2500.00, but they were new, as in less than 50 miles on the car when removed. The car was totalled during a demo ride when an unexperienced driver flipped it on its roof and flattened it! I bought the interior out of it then when the dealership used the car for its parts. Now it was the more desirable red/charcoal interior, but that would give you an idea. There were a set of seats on Craigslist about a month ago that a friend just bought and he gave $200.00 for them. They needed recovering due to being dirty and faded.........................Hope this helps..........RatPack.........
To add to what ratpack said..when i got mine i knew they needed recovering. I paid i think 200 for the front two seats along with the fabric to recover my entire interior. There is nothing special about the back seats other than the fabric so if you only find the front two just get enough fabric to redo the back seats as well. But keep in mind i didnt get let off easy. When all is said and done i think i have about a 1000 in my interior since ever seat needed to be recovered along with the conteur door panels. Was it worth it..i think so but i could have also used that money in a lot of other areas.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the RPO for contour seats in 1985 ZO6 as some think or is it the "D" or "E" after the color number?

(Camaro Camaro Camaro on seats and door panels)
19D Contour custom cloth in black
62D Contour custom cloth in light saddle
68D Contour custom cloth in russet
72D Contour custom cloth in dark carmine
82D Contour custom cloth in medium dark grey

(Camaro Camaro Camaro on seats only)
19E Contour standard cloth in black
62E Contour standard cloth in light saddle
68E Contour standard cloth in russet
72E Contour standard cloth in dark carmine
82E Contour standard cloth in medium dark grey

(Without Camaro Camaro Camaro interiors)
19C Custom cloth in black
62C Custom cloth in light saddle
68C Custom cloth in russet
72C Custom cloth in dark carmine
82C Custom cloth in medium dark grey

Here is where I found my information on these interiors' RPOs.

http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/Tech/TEch85codes.htm
Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM

The interior trim codes with "D" & "E" are for the LS seats, but only the "D" codes were used in 1985 models as the LS interior was only available with the Custom Cloth interior that year. Chevrolet must have had plans to offer that seat option with the Standard Cloth interior since the interior trim codes exist, but I have no sales records of it ever being sold that way. Also my price sheets only show the LS seat option at $650.00 which correlates with the option only being offered with the Custom Cloth interior. To date I have yet to see a 1985 LS interior w/o the Custom Cloth option (Camaro spectra cloth on the door panels) as offered in the previous 3 years. Would love to see a car with a trim tag showing an "E" interior suffix code from 1985....Anyone have one?.............................RatPack......................
Old 02-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Car: 1983 Z/28, 2010 Camaro
Engine: L69
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Rat Pack
Darth 93 Your interior is the base vinyl with the LS seat option which when ordered without the Custom Interior you got the standard vinyl door panels as shown in your picture. Ordering the LS interior this way cost $375.00, but when combined with the Custom Interior you got the matching cloth door panels. The cost of the option jumped up to $650.00, so for the extra $275.00 you got the door panels and the BS1 Quiet Sound Group which was included with the Custom Interior. The only way the matching cloth panels were included with the seats in 83 & 84 was with the Custom Interior option. Then in 85 the LS Interior was only available with the Custom Interior. Check your interior code on the trim tag secured to the radiator support, it should probably be 67E.

The 10 83 Z-28's used for the Miss USA Pagent had the same interior you have in your car with the base vinyl door panels..............RatPack...........
Thank you so much Rat PacK. My car is a 67E. Just clears up the mystery in my own mind that my car is correct as is. I did buy some material from John in RI. One of these days will create a set of door panels ( but keep the originals ) The history on the Miss USA Pagent cars is intersting too.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Just bought a blue Conteur interior today. Seats need to get recovered. The door panels are the base vinyl.

If I want to recreate the CAMARO CAMARO CAMARO door panels with the carpeted lower half, what do I need to do?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM

If you already have the Custom interior which has the carpet on the lower half of the door panels then the upper half is all that needs to be recovered. The center area with the Camaro lettering can be made like the factory panels with some extra panel board, foam, and a little sewing. The rest of the upper portion of the panel needs to be covered in the solid cloth material that was specific for this interior. SMS has the material to recover the seats and door panels..........RatPack...........

Oh if you don't have the Custom interior door panels already then you will need to find a set from another 83-84 model with the blue interior so you can get the needed blue welt that forms the seam between the upper & lower carpeted area.....
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

The CAMARO logos on the door panels are made as an "insert" and simply installed on a solid door panel. The fabric gets stiched over padding and onto cardboard. On the back,...... Each side has a length of thin steel (with some 'teeth' punched out of them ) pinned down the side.

A Picture would do a better job of describing them !!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the pictures, just like I said, a little extra panel board, foam, and some sewing to make them. To get the rails that have the fold over tabs rob a set from any early GM car that has the 3/8" wide chrome moldings that are removable from the inner door panels and rob them of the strips...... If you need the rails with the tabs I think I may have some extra sets............RatPack..........
Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys.

1) yes my '83 has a blue custom interior, so I can recycle those door panels - right?

2) Does the blue cloth go across the top of the panel and then the CAMARO insert goes over it, or does the CAMARO insert go on and then the blue cloth fills-in in front and behind the insert?

3) John, do you make those inserts?

Last edited by chazman; 03-26-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM

1.) www.smsautofabrics.com

2.) yes

3.) yes to the first part of your question, no to the last.

4.) can't answer that one, but I was told SMS can make them for you complete with the tab rails.............RatPack................
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

3) John, do you make those inserts?
No he doesnt. He just happens to have one of the better collections of early third gen conteur stuff around cause he loves em just as much as i do. I do not believe he has any blue conteur fabric left however someone on ebay not too long ago had a set for sale for around 100 bucks for enough to do an interior.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by John in RI
The CAMARO logos on the door panels are made as an "insert" and simply installed on a solid door panel. The fabric gets stiched over padding and onto cardboard. On the back,...... Each side has a length of thin steel (with some 'teeth' punched out of them ) pinned down the side.

A Picture would do a better job of describing them !!

What is the correct way to attach these panels to the door panels?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

What is the correct way to attach these panels to the door panels?

If you look at the red/orange panel on the right side of the picture you can see the 3 clips on each side of the back. The panels basically just hang on the door panel with these clips. Those clips go all the way through to the backside of the door panel.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by subroc
If you look at the red/orange panel on the right side of the picture you can see the 3 clips on each side of the back. The panels basically just hang on the door panel with these clips. Those clips go all the way through to the backside of the door panel.
Wow, never knew that. Do those clips go into anything or do you just sort of jam them into the door panel?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Edited the first post to add this

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/le...pholstery.aspx

Found it while surfing the web tonight. Might help someone out. Somewhat pricey but cheaper than having an upholstery shop make the covers.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Just an FYI, I contacted Desert Sun to inquire about the CAMARO door inserts. He says he can make a new pair for $75.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Which are the "correct" seatbelt guides which screw into the headrest? I've seen a couple different ones.

I just bought a set of blue seats and they are missing the guides. (Still looking for a set of door panels BTW, if anyone has any leads)

I also got some fabric samples from Original Interiors. Looks very high quality, but the color is substantially darker than my seats. And I don't mean just from fading either.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Which are the "correct" seatbelt guides which screw into the headrest? I've seen a couple different ones.

I just bought a set of blue seats and they are missing the guides. (Still looking for a set of door panels BTW, if anyone has any leads)

I also got some fabric samples from Original Interiors. Looks very high quality, but the color is substantially darker than my seats. And I don't mean just from fading either.
I was just going by the pictures of what everones interior showed and used the stock black seat belt guides from my original camaro seats. They are the squarer ones. Here is one of the better pictures showing what i have. There is nothing special about them or the headrests on the LSCs in fact. GM used the same headrest in the normal headrest camaro seats as well as buicks, oldsmobiles and others.

Name:  IMG_1151.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  159.7 KB
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

I was just going by the pictures of what everones interior showed and used the stock black seat belt guides from my original camaro seats. They are the squarer ones. Here is one of the better pictures showing what i have. There is nothing special about them or the headrests on the LSCs in fact. GM used the same headrest in the normal headrest camaro seats as well as buicks, oldsmobiles and others.

The ones I have on my 83's seats are the L shapes ones. I was think of re-using those, but if the square ones you have are correct I'll look around for a blue pair somewhere.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA, 1985 T/A
Engine: L98, LG4
Transmission: Slush-o-matic 700R
Axle/Gears: stock and stock

I have a set of Tan ones (1985) and they also have black guides. Also, they're for sale.

Last edited by 89junkyardgta; 04-14-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89junkyardgta
I have a set of Tan ones (1985) and they also have black guides.
Square ones seem to be correct for this interior. Take for example this picture from the first page

Name:  1984BlueL69Contour3.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  126.2 KB

I was actually surprised that they were blue. I would have thought that gm would have wanted to save costs and have them black. Never really paid attention to them to be honest. Good luck finding a set of blue ones though...if i were you i would just find a set of square style ones and dye them blue.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

(Still looking for a set of door panels BTW, if anyone has any leads)

What i would do as far as door panels is get a set of factory conteur door panels so that you can get that panel that has the three camaros on it for the upholsterer. Heres a set on ebay right now in burnt orange. It all comes down to what u want to spend. I had both door panels redone in my custom interior for 100 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-92...item563722e396
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Square ones seem to be correct for this interior. Take for example this picture from the first page

I was actually surprised that they were blue. I would have thought that gm would have wanted to save costs and have them black. Never really paid attention to them to be honest. Good luck finding a set of blue ones though...if i were you i would just find a set of square style ones and dye them blue.

Blue is tough to find. You can still buy them new, but I've seen them in black/tan/gray/red - not blue yet.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

What i would do as far as door panels is get a set of factory conteur door panels so that you can get that panel that has the three camaros on it for the upholsterer. Heres a set on ebay right now in burnt orange. It all comes down to what u want to spend. I had both door panels redone in my custom interior for 100 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-92...item563722e396

Yeah, I've got my eye on that one. Last week there was another orange/red pair for half the price of those. But.......ya never know......a blue one could turn up. I've seen them out there before I was looking to buy. I've only been seriously looking for a couple of weeks now.

How much did it cost you to reupholster your front seats?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

How much did it cost you to reupholster your front seats?
I shopped around for a bit before i found a good upholsterer who would do it for a price i felt was very reasonable for the amount of work he put into my seats. Since mine are not just slip covers or anything like that he had to use the original tattered and beat covers as a guide and make mine custom. All said i think it was 200 for the rear seating area (the back and the two buckets that go on the floor) and 250 per front seat. He later told me he really should have charged more for the driver seat because there was more to it than the passenger seat (the adjustments and such). So that was the breakdown

250 drivers seat
250 pass seat
200 rear seat
100 door panels
100 for the seats
100 for the spectrum fabric
Grand total of 1000 on the dot. Ug i need a beer after reading that myself lol.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

I shopped around for a bit before i found a good upholsterer who would do it for a price i felt was very reasonable for the amount of work he put into my seats. Since mine are not just slip covers or anything like that he had to use the original tattered and beat covers as a guide and make mine custom. All said i think it was 200 for the rear seating area (the back and the two buckets that go on the floor) and 250 per front seat. He later told me he really should have charged more for the driver seat because there was more to it than the passenger seat (the adjustments and such). So that was the breakdown

250 drivers seat
250 pass seat
200 rear seat
100 door panels
100 for the seats
100 for the spectrum fabric
Grand total of 1000 on the dot. Ug i need a beer after reading that myself lol.

OUCH! Just goes to show, that it's worth spending $400-500 if you can find a *MINT* *COMPLETE* set. Easier said than done though....
Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

OUCH! Just goes to show, that it's worth spending $400-500 if you can find a *MINT* *COMPLETE* set. Easier said than done though....
Problem is that does not exist unless its tied to an equally mint car. The only time ive heard of a mint set was one that a dealership pulled out of a car when new i think and stored away. That was selling for several 1000s so there is really no cheap way to get this interior nice unless u buy the whole nice car which probably isnt cheap either lol.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Problem is that does not exist unless its tied to an equally mint car. The only time ive heard of a mint set was one that a dealership pulled out of a car when new i think and stored away. That was selling for several 1000s so there is really no cheap way to get this interior nice unless u buy the whole nice car which probably isnt cheap either lol.
I think you're right. If you want this interior and you want it mint - you'll need to pay. Now, I think I need a drink!

Last edited by chazman; 04-14-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 PM

Car: 1983 z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 crossfire injection
Transmission: 700r4

yeah you can.. Hawks Thirdgen sales them new. heres the link..

Attached Thumbnails Lear Siegler Camaro Conteur interior history-picture-1.png  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Cross fire Sid

Hey Sid, I seem to remember a post where you said you reupholstered the bolster on your driver's seat. Where did you get your fabric?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Well i got very lucky and found a guy that had my same 1983 camaro and with my interior. The guy said he was making his car into a pro street and was taken the interior out. He thought the interior was ugly and didn't want it. So i bought it off him for $100. I got a hell of a deal. lol I got all the seats and door panels.
Attached Thumbnails Lear Siegler Camaro Conteur interior history-picture-1.png  
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Well i got very lucky and found a guy that had my same 1983 camaro and with my interior. The guy said he was making his car into a pro street and was taken the interior out. He thought the interior was ugly and didn't want it. So i bought it off him for $100. I got a hell of a deal. lol I got all the seats and door panels.
Man alive! I want you with me next time I buy a lotto ticket...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 PM

hahaha.. I think I'm only lucky with cars because i never have luck like this.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
There must have been a year where the blue changed. My 84 has the same blue that is pictured in this thread. I'm restoring the conteur cloth and found a bolt of blue cloth that is way darker than the origional blue. The origional 83/84 blue is light, with a hint of silver. The fabric that I have (GM Origional) is a very dark blue with no hint of silver. I'll post a picture up soon.
I'm finding the same thing. I've ordered a couple of sample swatches of the blue for the bolsters and it's way darker.

Any luck finding the lighter blue?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

I did a little experiment. These are the Conteur seats I bought a couple of weeks ago. This is them after about 5 hours of cleaning. Yuk!

Anyway, look at the CAMARO pattern on on the seat back of the driver's seat. It was almost as bad as the seat bottom, basically COMPLETELY trashed, worn and beyond repair. Soooo, I figured what the heck, I've got nothing to lose. I painted it. I paint military miniatures as another hobby, so I had paints I could mix and blend on hand. I'm still working on it, and it needs afew touch ups and refinements, but what do you all think?

Last edited by chazman; 04-17-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5

As far as the picture goes it looks pretty good. I don't know if it translates that well in person. I have those rear seats if you want them. They're as nice as the passenger seat back that you're showing.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
As far as the picture goes it looks pretty good. I don't know if it translates that well in person. I have those rear seats if you want them. They're as nice as the passenger seat back that you're showing.
Thanks. Actually, I think it looks at least as good in person. When I get a chance, I'll do the bottom and post a pic.

Thanks for the offer on the rears, but I have all four seats. Just need the door panels.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Wow, that really shows that these cars are really starting to become collectable. A few years back you would never see such a niche market for a 4 year option. And I'll bet that the material is new and not NOS. While I'm speaking about it, has anybody noticed an increae in the numbers of 3rd Gens in their area? I've seen a marked increase in my area since the arrival of the new Camaro. I'm seeing at least 5 or 6 different 3rd gens where I live, as if they became popular again.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Thanks. Actually, I think it looks at least as good in person. When I get a chance, I'll do the bottom and post a pic.

Thanks for the offer on the rears, but I have all four seats. Just need the door panels.
OK, no problem, but you could salvage the material from the seats to make the door panels....Just a thought!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Anyone ever use Desert Sun? It's listed on the first page.
http://desertsunauto.com/camaro_information.htm
He says he can make a pair of front seat covers for $500. Is that worth it?

Hawks has all four seats for about $650, but won't do the fronts seperately.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

I believe these are the stock seatbelt guides for my seats.

I've never seen this type before. My headrests have the base still attached with the triangle thingy missing.

Anyone know where I can get a pair of those?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

These look close:
http://moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/690

Only Burgundy, though.
I believe these are the stock seatbelt guides for my seats.

I've never seen this type before. My headrests have the base still attached with the triangle thingy missing.

Anyone know where I can get a pair of those?

Quick Reply: Lear Siegler Camaro Conteur interior history