History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

My Public Service Announcement - The RIGHT Way to Sell Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
My Public Service Announcement - The RIGHT Way to Sell Your Car

After giving this subject a lot of thought, and checking with IROCZTWENTYGR8 to make sure this post would be kosher for this forum (as in, I didn't wanna spend 30+ minutes typing something to have it get locked ), I feel the need to lend some advice to those of you looking to sell your beloved Third Gen.

To give the reader some background on me, and to lend validity to the below, I've been in the car business for 12 years. I have been the General Sales Manager for a medium-sized Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer for the past 6. I know what it takes to sell cars, and to attract people to products. I have also on a personal level bought and sold 3 Third Gens in the past 2 years. As a hobby, I live/eat/sleep/breathe 3rd and 4th Gen F-Bodies. They are what I am truly passionate about. I hope my advice is helpful to those selling their cars. If you've been struggling to sell yours, pay attention...I believe this thread can help you.

Top Five Problems As a Buyer

There's a myriad of things that irritate me when it comes to trying to buy a car, especially a third gen. These cars are between 20-30 years old now...none are perfect, and many are pretty rough. After looking at countless Third Gens over the past 15 years, here are the top 5 things that turn me off from buying YOUR car. This is the process I use myself when I am ready to consider your Third Gen.

1) Use proper grammar and punctuation when creating your ad!!!!
How am I supposed to take you seriously when you cannot even write? If you are old enough to own a car, you are old enough to write properly...the way I am. If I can't read what you are writing, I am going to assume you are careless and did not take care of the car. A short ad is one thing...a poorly written one is something else entirely.

Look at the ad I just used to sell my 86 Trans Am in TWELVE DAYS...

After a ton of time weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to sell both of my third gen Trans Ams. This one in particular is an '86 with 34k miles. I am the third owner of the car. The factory options are as follows...

-305 TPI/A4
-Power windows, locks, mirrors and drivers seat
-9 bolt posi rear with rear disc brakes
-Upgraded cloth interior

Anyone reading this that knows me, knows that I restored the exterior this car last Summer to represent TGO at an event in OH back in September. The car was shown alongside frame-off 1st and 2nd gen vehicles, and showed very well. I received a ton of compliments on it. Mechanically the car is 100%...all I've needed to do is complete all the routine maintenance, replace the valve seals, etc. Everything works perfectly. The car needs nothing but a driver. The interior is perfect...no stains, never been smoked in, etc.

Last year's restoration (with less than 1k on it) included...

-Complete repaint of exterior. All ground effects were removed, along with the bumpers, hood, decklid and doors. There are ZERO tape lines...this car was painted right. I had Dent Wizard go over the entire car before painting, to help ensure the straightest possible result. The paint is perfect...it hasn't been painted long enough to have a single ding or nick in it!! No fisheyes...no waves...its gorgeous. FAR superior to anything GM put on this car...

-All 4 wheels have been re-finished professionally...they look like brand new.

-The rear spoiler is a new Hawks fiberglass replacement, with a black crackle-type finish that emulates the original 86-correct finish.

-All-new, correct stripe kit from Phoenix Graphix...with all decals in the right spots, no less Also added the hood bird...

-Professionally re-wrapped OEM leather steering wheel

The car is 100% stock except for the addition of an 86-correct "screaming chicken" to the hood, and an Alpine CD player with an iPod cable hidden in the ashtray. I have dozens of pictures to document what this car looked like before, during and after the work was completed. This car stands tall against frame-off restored cars...its that clean. I have a copy of the writeup Muscle Car Review did of the event, and the car did manage to make it into the background of one of the photos

If you want a beautiful, original Trans Am to get in, turn the key, and drive anywhere from the local cruise night, to a judged car show, to a road trip, this is your car. With no t-tops, its tight and rattle free. With low mileage, everything about this car feels like brand new.

This ad was on here, and a modified form (leaving at the car show stuff) was on Craigslist. I had used car dealers I wholesale cars to call me up, compliment me on the ad (they knew it was my car), and ask me jokingly if I could write their ads for them Remember, this is YOUR investment. Put some time into it!

2) Do not write things that are not true
Nothing torques me up more than someone says their car is rare, and they have NO CLUE what they are talking about. No, your IROC is not 1 of 500 with t-tops...its not 1-of-whatever-you-say-it-is, normally. When I smell BS like that, I run. If I know more about your car than you do? Forget it. If you write something in your ad you are stating as fact, make sure it IS fact, first.

3) Do not lie to me about the condition of your car
Do not assume your customer is stupid. Do not assume that you know more than they do. The number one irritation I have is driving hours to end up looking at a car that is NOT what I was told it was. When I schedule an appointment, I am serious. Always assume your customer is serious. Take them seriously. I ALWAYS ask the seller to "walk the car," and tell me where the flaws are. Has the car been repainted? Are all the emblems in the proper spots? What condition is the glass in? Is there any noticeable rust, or evidence of poor bodywork?

Then I ask them to open the doors and the trunk. Is there visible wear? Fading? Damage, such as cigarette burns? How does the headliner look? The dash pad? After this, I ask them to start the car. Did it smoke on startup? Is the check engine light on? Do all the gagues work, and do the readings make sense? Now, have a seat. Do ALL the power options work? What does it smell like in there? Do we see any evidence of water damage?

Now, if I was you (and I HAVE been you), I do all this when each prospect calls me VOLUNTARILY. The buyer doesn't even have to ask. I want to be as informative, helpful, and straight up as possible. I sold my 88 TA to a guy from Erie, PA just the other day...5.5 hour drive each way. He agreed to buy it before he saw it because I was THAT detailed. Every little detail, good and bad, I told him. I did not want him to show up and be disappointed.

So, assuming we are doing well, I'm going to schedule a time to come see you. BE ACCOMODATING.

4) Once I see you, if I think you're hiding something, I'm GONE
Assuming I have driven for hours to see your car (lets face it...these cars aren't common, and finding a good one takes work), if I show up and this car is a major letdown, I will hurt you. Let me paint 2 pictures for you.

I drove 4 hours to buy my 88 TA. It was VERY nice. It was NOT exactly what she told me it was, though. The tires were totally the wrong size. She said the car had never been repainted, but I could see it had been. When pressed on that one, she remembered the previous owner told her he had painted it about 10 years prior. But, for the most part, she had been honest with me, and the flaws I found were not deal breakers. She had told me about the cracked spoiler, the occassional SES light (that was on when I bought it), and a few other things.

Compare that to the 89 GTA I had looked at 4 weeks prior. After driving 2 hours to see this "19,000 mile beauty that just needs a spoiler), I wanted to punch the seller in the throat. I was gone in 10 minutes. This "immaculate" car showed all the signs of having been stored in a barn with the windows down for 10 years. There was bird crap etching all over it. Under the hood, there was surface rust and oxidation EVERYWHERE. The undercarriage had extensive surface rust. The seats showed evidence of having been cleaned after being totally filthy.

See the difference between those 2 sellers, and how they appeared to me as a buyer?

5) Don't be a jerk to me
If I take time to look at and consider your car, let me look it over. ALL of it. Don't rush me. If I take more than one hour, get irritated. But I want to drive this car on the open road. I want to hit an interstate if one is nearby. I want to test all aspects of it to see what I'm really getting, and to see if you've been honest. But if you're sitting in the corner, tapping your foot, looking impatient and checking your watch? If I'm inconveniencing you, I can definitely buy from someone that is more accomodating....

Selling tips in the next post....

Last edited by Jason E; 03-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Re: My Public Service Announcement - The RIGHT Way to Sell Your Car

Top 5 Tips to Sell FAST

1) Price it right
Do your homework. Know what your car is WORTH. As we say all the time, a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. However, watch trends. Spend 30 days before you post your car and research. What do you see comparable cars selling on here for? On eBay? I use eBay as a guide all the time...personally and professionally. Where else do you KNOW what a car did or did not sell for? Look at what you have invested in it, look at what other people are asking for comparable cars (assuming you can find comparables) and price accordingly. Don't assume a sucker will walk through the door and pay whatever you are asking for it. I find this a lot with older folks...ones who have no idea how powerful the internet is. The internet makes everything accessible, and I have no problem driving 2 hours to get a better car for less money. Wanna sell it fast? Know what else is out there, and price yours a little less than comparables. Buyers will notice.

2) Put your ad out there
Don't just post on your local Craigslist. Don't just post it up here. If it doesn't sell in 30 days (yes, I said it...30 days is all it should take for a quick sale), stop being cheap and throw it on Auto Trader/cars.com/cars-on-line.com. Get some exposure for it!

3) Put your car out at the right time
Don't expect to get over market value for your car in December in MA. Don't expect to get top dollar for it during Love Bug season in FL, when everyone is hiding their cars. I waited until March 1st to list mine, because I knew winter in New England was not a good time to sell. Why throw it up in January, when no one will care, and then have to mark the price down multiple times to keep people interested in March/April? If you can, wait and sell at the most opportune time (I realize not everyone can do this).

4) Clean your car!!!
I don't want to see grainy, crappy CL pics of your car with dirty wheels and McDonalds bags in it. Have some pride, people! The better it looks in the pics, the more likely I am to pick up the damn phone!

5) Be accomodating when the customer calls
If I've taken the time to pick up the phone and call you, assume I am serious. Give me your time. Tell me about your car. GIVE ME A REASON TO COME SEE YOU. But don't oversell me. I would rather go see a car someone gave me an honest description of, and told me about flaws, then question the validity of someone swearing up and down "my car is perfect! You gotta see it!"

No car this old is perfect. Ever.

In case anyone is wondering why I took the time to write all this out, its because I would love nothing more than to see our enthusiast base become stronger, more educated about that which we love, and be proud of what we have. Part of that pride comes from seeing the value of what we have climb. I also want this enthusiast base to represent itself well, and that comes through dealings with others.

I got every dime of what I was asking for both my cars, without negotiation. I priced them right, I knew what I had, I bent over backwards to accomodate my buyers, and voila...I got good money for both in no time flat. I did not get top dollar, as I did not ask top dollar. But I am happy with what I got.

They were great cars. They ARE great cars. They deserve better representation than what our owner base gives them at times and should be held to high standards.

Last edited by Jason E; 03-26-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Can we make this a sticky on all the forums including C-list and Evil-pay?? Very well said, Bravo.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys really nailed it. These are all the reasons I'm still looking for my 3rd, 3rd gen after almost a year. That and I'm being picky as hell.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Car: 1985 WS6 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 355 TPI N/A
Transmission: Borg/Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Thanks you for this!!!

Nothing grinds my gear more than poorly made for sale add. Between not spelling worth a crap, not posting hardly any photos if any!, very vague discriptions like "89 camaro, runs good, $1,500". Gah I hate that!! Hopefully people take a good look at this and use it to the fullest!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Great read. Definantley gets my vote for a sticky
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come

I believe that you hit the nail on the head with this. Many people posting cars for sale have atrocious spelling and outright lie or just do not know the truth about their car. I see it quite often on Craig's List. I never seen their car before and I know more about it than they do.
My firebird was a mess when I bought it but the seller never lied to me at all.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Now edited for easier reading

(Even in my own posts, I edit my grammar all the time...)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Originally Posted by Jason E
After giving this subject a lot of thought, and checking with IROCZTWENTRYGR8 to make sure this post would be kosher for this forum (as in, I didn't wanna spend 30+ minutes typing something to have it get locked ),
This isn't Chris' forum! Who does he think he is to say that this is Kosher? I tell ya!

Just kidding! I guess we'll let this go since you did get admin permission first. Just wondering why you opted to go over me to get it done?

Ok. I'm just messing around! I agree on the "clean the car" line. I can't understand why people try to sell a car and post pictures of it with both the inside and outside filthy. I always take pride in my cars being clean when I sell or trade them in. I traded in a car many years ago and left something in the glove box. I drove back to the dealer within an hour of leaving and my car was on the used lot, right up front. They didn't need to wash it, vacuum it, clean the windows, or anything. It went right on the front row!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing that irks the hell out of me is when they don't say what options the car has. Power windows/locks/mirrors? Leather? Automatic or manual, why should I have to call to find out?? Or more than anything...miles. I see hundreds of ads that don't list the mileage, easily one of the most important things in valuing a car.

My rule is pretty simple--if I have any inkling that the seller is a dumbass, which is pretty easy to tell if the ad has any bad spelling, grammar, or just lacks any info that any reasonable person wouldn't think they would have to actually ask for, then I just move on. Ditto for pictures, if the pictures look like ***, then I know the seller takes no pride and doesn't care.

I don't want to see any fluff in the ad either. No BS. I want it short, concise, containing key information, and leaving me with zero doubt that the car has been flawlessly cared for. Something to the effect of (making this up):

"1990 Camaro IROC-Z

5.7, Automatic. Power windows/locks/mirrors/AC. Red with black leather. Hardtop. 30k actual miles. Original owner. Garaged. Stored winters. No paint/body work."

I want to know what it has, how many owners it's had, the mileage, and the status of the paint/body work. I don't want to read someone's diatribe about how the car needs absolutely nothing and how great it is blah blah--I don't want a sales pitch. Just tell me the facts, and I'll be able to tell just from the protectiveness and intelligence of the ad that it's flawless and worth my time.

ALSO IF YOU WRITE IN CAPITALS YOU ARE A GUARANTEED MORON.

Last edited by puma1552; 03-23-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MD8

1) Use proper grammar and punctuation when creating your ad!!!!
How am I supposed to take you seriously when you cannot even write? If you are old enough to own a car, you are old enough to write properly...the way I am. If I can't read what you are writing, I am going to assume you are careless and did not take care of the car. A short ad is one thing...a poorly written one is something else entirely.
"Camero"

When I see that, I hit "back" instantly.

Another thing I see and hate is when people say "all original except".

All original except paint, or all original except crate engine, all original except except except . Dont say all original if it isnt.

Nice write up Jason E. Hope it becomes a sticky in the classified forum.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 82 MSE/89 TTA/89 Formula/99 TA

I agree with everything you posted here. My big pet peeve is the dirty car. When they look like they live in it instead of drive it. Totally disgusting. I have driven several times over 8 hrs to come home with an empty car hauler. One experience that sticks in my mind is a guy that lied about the mileage. We had several conversations and I requested specific pictures. I guess the odometer picture was old. When I actually looked at the car the mileage was about 30k difference. He denied telling me that mileage, even though I brought my notes. Then he played the "old man" card, with a forgetful memory. If he was that forgetful, he shouldnt be driving a third gen.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-VERT
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Very well said man! What really irks me is when some CLOWNS advertise their cars as "IROCS" and it's really an RS with fog lamps or Z28 decals!? Are you kidding me... as you said do your homework, know what you have and dont assume I'm some idiot.

One more thing that really bugs me is when you see a car advertised and the seller puts down that the car would look awesome with a good wash or detail... HELLO!!! maybe you should have done that! It's YOUR car, and you're trying to sell it DUDE! arrrgggggg

Last edited by ROCFATHER; 03-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Just kidding! I guess we'll let this go since you did get admin permission first. Just wondering why you opted to go over me to get it done?
Sorry...guess I didn't think it through too well. This idea hit me on the way to work this morning, and I actually figured I would make sure I got the appropriate ok's first...I meant to write to JT as well, and hit the send button before I even thought about it. I wrote this in between customers at work I really hope no one takes it personally...

But, this is a topic that I think needs to be talked about. I am so tired of people parting good cars, and whining that they don't sell. When you look at how they market the cars? Its no wonder!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Car: '89 Firebird Trans Am WS6 - project
Engine: Building a 400 C.I. SB Chevy V8
Transmission: manual T5
Axle/Gears: posi rear end

These are my pet peeves when buying a car of any make/model:
  • When they don't list the miles - I want to know how close the engine is to being so old it's trash or how close to mint condition it is.
  • Transmission type - is it so hard to say if it's automatic or manual? I've found most people don't specify unless it is a manual because 98% of people want/have an auto, so I've come to assume it's automatic unless specified. And since I don't want an auto, I will automatically pass because you didn't specify... so if your car was manual after all, you just lost a potential buyer.
  • Options/trim level - what does it have? What if I can't live without a certain option? Tell me about your car. What am I buying?
  • What's wrong with it - I want to know what I'm getting into. What all do I need to fix? Am I capable of dealing with this repair myself or paying a shop to do it? Be honest!
  • Improper spelling/grammar/punctuation - if I can't read your ad because you write and spell like a 1st grader, then how am I to be interested in your car? I have no idea what you are trying to say and thus don't even know if your car is worth it to me. Clear communication is key.
  • Bad pictures - you need to show the interior and exterior of your car. And your photos need to be clear, not grainy or shot at night. You need to have more than two photos so that we can see the general condition of the car.
  • Engine - what is it? 4 cylinder, v6, or v8? 2.0L, 2.8L, 5.0L? 305, 350, 454? Big block or small block? Original or engine swap? This is important information.
  • Sold your car? Then remove the ad!! - It fries me when I find a car that is exactly what I'm looking for, price is right, and I call them up... they say "oh, I sold that 5 days ago". ARGH!!
An ad that says "1985 sedan (or truck/SUV), runs great, $1200" will be ignored since it tells me nothing about the vehicle. Especially if there are no pictures that I might glean a little information from. I've seen this on Craigslist before. Did that guy really not know what he's been driving for all those years?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

My biggest pet peeve that seems to happen often on this forum and others is NO PICTURES. Im sorry but if i dont see pictures of your car...no matter how gorgeous and perfect you say it is im not going to bother calling your number or emailing you asking for pictures. Its really not that hard to post pictures. I realize there are still some people that are so computer helpless that they cant figure out posting pictures. For them....either have a friend who knows how help you or have another board member your friendly with help you. Hell ive helped complete strangers post pictures of their car because they asked me to. I dont mind doing it since its quick and easy but in the end posting an ad without a picture in my eyes is just as good as not posting an ad at all.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Great write up Jason!

I cringe when I see the word "custom" in an ad. It usually means: "Hey check out my EXTREMELY poor taste, which I'm going to charge you extra for."

Last edited by chazman; 03-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1987 TA GTA, 1987 IROC 1988 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi/305 tpi/350 tbi
Transmission: All have 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3:73's

Thanks for posting this up, just an hour ago on craigslist some one posted "86 trans am gta" gahhh I hate that! http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/cto/2919073468.html
Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

I just checked my local craigslist and found these two.

1992 z/28 IROC camaro 5.7 L AND 5 speed
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/2913525061.html

1991 CAMARO IROC Z LOW MILES - $3900
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/2913337850.html

Both are the classic examples of POS cars. I like the 8,500 mile 91 IROC with faded paint??
Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Camaro RS--
Engine: MPFI

Originally Posted by burnout88
I just checked my local craigslist and found these two.

1992 z/28 IROC camaro 5.7 L AND 5 speed
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/2913525061.html

1991 CAMARO IROC Z LOW MILES - $3900
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/2913337850.html

Both are the classic examples of POS cars. I like the 8,500 mile 91 IROC with faded paint??
A lot of people post Irocs when they didn't even make them that year. I write and let them know! Might help you sell the car if you know a little about what your selling. Then I wish the well
Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

Originally Posted by Jason E
4) Clean your car!!!
I don't want to see grainy, crappy CL pics of your car with dirty wheels and McDonalds bags in it. Have some pride, people! The better it looks in the pics, the more likely I am to pick up the damn phone!
Another thing that annoys me is when people show interior pics with seats covers, steering wheel covers, etc. If the seats look bad, TELL me and SHOW me, don't try to fool me with some ugly *** Wal-Mart seat covers.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

Jason E: Best. Thread. Ever.

:totalawesomeness:
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6

Great thread,
I could go on for hours about this but I will leave just one more thing:

STICKERS. Anything that you put on your windows, bumper, super cool JEGS stickers under the hood, etc to "personalize" your car is a sure way to turn off buyers. People want to buy a thirdgen F body, not your personality.

You may think your calvin sticker is RAD but it tells me that you might have speaker wire powering your ignition coil.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by subroc
My biggest pet peeve that seems to happen often on this forum and others is NO PICTURES. Im sorry but if i dont see pictures of your car...no matter how gorgeous and perfect you say it is im not going to bother calling your number or emailing you asking for pictures. Its really not that hard to post pictures. I realize there are still some people that are so computer helpless that they cant figure out posting pictures. For them....either have a friend who knows how help you or have another board member your friendly with help you. Hell ive helped complete strangers post pictures of their car because they asked me to. I dont mind doing it since its quick and easy but in the end posting an ad without a picture in my eyes is just as good as not posting an ad at all.

^^THIS!!!!!!!! X153462869692478902364897349187234890

I don't even bother looking/asking if I don't see pictures.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by DD9TransAmGTA
Thanks for posting this up, just an hour ago on craigslist some one posted "86 trans am gta" gahhh I hate that! http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/cto/2919073468.html

Gah that drives me nuts! I'm trying to fight the urge to message him and tell him everything he's doing wrong!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

[In case anyone is wondering why I took the time to write all this out, its because I would love nothing more than to see our enthusiast base become stronger, more educated about that which we love, and be proud of what we have. Part of that pride comes from seeing the value of what we have climb. I also want this enthusiast base to represent itself well, and that comes through dealings with others.]
[They were great cars. They ARE great cars. They deserve better representation than what our owner base gives them at times and should be held to high standards.]

Great Write Up Jason,Straight From The Heart.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Jason, I was just giving you crap. No issues here.

In regards to the advertisement that says very little, let me tell you a story. Many years ago, there was an ad in some southern Minnesota small town paper. It read, "Late 60s Chevy. Must sell". A friend of a friend called just out of curiosity to see what it was. The owner described it as a blue car with a stripe or two on the hood and a "lip" on the back. It had some rust, but was stored in his shed since his son went to VietNam. The father and son had an argument, the son went in the Army and when he came home, he decided not to speak to his father so the car stayed in the barn. The old guy just wanted what he paid for the car. The friend of a friend went to see this car and found it to be a '69 LeMans Blue Z28. The car had about 5k miles on it and the only rust was about the size of a quarter on the inside of the trunk lid. The Z28 was dirty on the outside, but immaculate inside. The friend offered to pay much more for the car based on knowing it's value and the owner said he only wanted sticker price. You never know what will be advertised and what treasure you might receive.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

I see a certain Moderator is asking for a Ban here! That's quite the story there though.

Jason's posts have been edited and stickied to both of the For Sale boards. Good job Jason E.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM

It's been forever since I've been threatened with a ban! I think Willie gave me my first threat and most recently, I think okfoz attempted one. I guess I better behave if I have an admin threat!!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

Haha, what a troublemaker, I didn't know that! In that case, we'll be watching you.....
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM

Car: '89 Firebird Trans Am WS6 - project
Engine: Building a 400 C.I. SB Chevy V8
Transmission: manual T5
Axle/Gears: posi rear end

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
In regards to the advertisement that says very little, let me tell you a story. Many years ago, there was an ad in some southern Minnesota small town paper. It read, "Late 60s Chevy. Must sell". A friend of a friend called just out of curiosity to see what it was. The owner described it as a blue car with a stripe or two on the hood and a "lip" on the back. It had some rust, but was stored in his shed since his son went to VietNam. The father and son had an argument, the son went in the Army and when he came home, he decided not to speak to his father so the car stayed in the barn. The old guy just wanted what he paid for the car. The friend of a friend went to see this car and found it to be a '69 LeMans Blue Z28. The car had about 5k miles on it and the only rust was about the size of a quarter on the inside of the trunk lid. The Z28 was dirty on the outside, but immaculate inside. The friend offered to pay much more for the car based on knowing it's value and the owner said he only wanted sticker price. You never know what will be advertised and what treasure you might receive.
You know, such a possibility never crossed my mind. I always figured it would be just some random junk car from the 90's, nothing special and not worth much. But now I'll be thinking harder about it. Thanks for the story Scottmoyer.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Sometimes you might score at a dealer. Just recently, I read on another site, that a guy saw a black, '86, SVO Mustang, sitting at the back corner of a used car lot. It was dirty, faded paint, but solid and except for some minor details, all there. Apparently, the dealer didn't know what an SVO was. It had been sitting, dead, at the dealer for 8 months. The car wouldn't start and the dealer didn't even want to put a nickel into getting it started The guy worked out a deal to buy it for $600, went and bought a battery, dropped in, fired right up, and drove it home.

Always look for those hidden jewels at the back of the lot.

Last edited by chazman; 03-27-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Just wanted to check in and say thanks to everyone for the approval of this thread, and a special thanks for Chris and the TGO crew making it a sticky over on the For Sale boards. Of no surprise to anyone, I continue to peruse third gens on CL every single night Its simply part of my routine now.

My favorite gem from last night was this one:

"RARE 91 Z28 350 at 4000
Its at shifts grate 80k original miles runs grate has 5000 in new parts papers to prove it just needs cosmetic stuff I have pics just text or call me anytime no after market stuff Aldalt owed Maby trades"

I mean, does it get any worse than that???? At this point, for me personally, I'm going to stick with my IROC as my sole third gen and simply enjoy the fact I was lucky enough to find a 22k mile gem that is turnkey perfect (except for the fact the brake pedal is SOFT, even after bleeding the brakes...gotta look into that one). As much as I enjoyed having multiple third gens, as they are simply my favorite cars ever, one is enough at this point. I really do not have the time or patience for multiples right now.

Despite this, like a good car nut, I will still check CL every night
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42

Very well written, I can't begin to say how the little things turn me off when looking at a car. If I'm pulling teeth just to find out information on it I'll probably be turned off.

Might i add for those that wish to list their car, writing in bullet points help. People (especially me) like to get as much information as quickly as possible. I don't want to read a story where the car is just a footnote.

Also while writing in bullet points break it down into sections
Exterior
Interior
Engine/drivetrain
The Bad

More than anything I always try to think of every bad thing just so they don't point it out. When selling my 4th gen i made sure to say that the clear coat was peeling a little, the passenger door speaker crackles a little occasionally, and it may need rear brakes soon. I got exactly what I wanted for that car.

Circling back to what i was saying earlier, If it may be a car i'm genuinely interested in, and have a lot of time on my hands (I usually do) then i'll inquire to the less detailed ads. I prefer pictures but if i'm feeling adventurous I'll look at the ones without.

Last thought (for now) if a person doesn't write an ad well, or doesn't seem that knowledgeable about the car, that gives YOU the advantage to talk them down.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Car: 87 IROC

"A Picture is worth a 1000 words"

In this day and age there is no reason why high resolution photos can't be provided by the seller. To me this one of the most important details when selling/buying a car.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Vandevenne
"A Picture is worth a 1000 words"

In this day and age there is no reason why high resolution photos can't be provided by the seller. To me this one of the most important details when selling/buying a car.

That is so true. Yet I still see so many grainy cell phone pics (taken at night or in a dark garage). Oh, and "hi" from a fellow Londoner!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: Built TH350 with 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 4.10

I hate people who lie. When i bought my car of this scumbag in CT, he kept lying to me about what the car had done to it. I was going to buy the car anyways and didnt care about imperfections because i was restoring the entire car, but i wanted to whack him for insulting my intelligence.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MD8

Or they say...email me for pics...my computer messin up.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Great Read

I Love Dirty Cars, the ability to see through the dirt... I can buy them cheap, simply clean them up, fix the little doodads that are broke, and sell them for double what I paid.. I bought an 87 Formula 350 for $700 cleaned it up, took the literal McDonalds Bags out of the back seat, gave it a tune up and sold it for $2200... I had less than $1400 invested, and the new owner was delighted. Another Car I bought for $1800, painted the hatch, put a spoiler on it I got for $50, cleaned it up nice, sold it for $3800... Had less than $2500 into it... Of course being married has put a damper on this...

What else can I say?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by patricklav
I hate people who lie. When i bought my car of this scumbag in CT, he kept lying to me about what the car had done to it. I was going to buy the car anyways and didnt care about imperfections because i was restoring the entire car, but i wanted to whack him for insulting my intelligence.

Or the liers who spew stuff they read in a CarCraft magazine, "It's gotta solid roller, hydraulic lifter 3/4 race cam, with a Holley vacuum secondary double pumper!" "No, it's not no limited slip, it's a POSI!"
Always a treat.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Yeah, if I had a dime for every "custom 400hp 350 4 bolt main" blah blah blah....

You just KNOW its a low-compression flat tappet 85 350 out of a Suburban
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Great read overall. One comment though. You seem to think that everybody who misrepresents his car is a liar. In most of my buying experiences, it seems that the misrepresentation of a car is because the seller is an idiot, not a liar. "Rare, only 500 with t-tops". It's because somebody told him that, and he believed it. It's also a fact of life with these cars that not everybody that owns one is an enthusiast, so when they're told these things they have no reason to question the validity in the first place.

Where I'm going with this, is that as a buyer, you need to read the seller. Is he a lying scumbag, or just an idiot? If he's an idiot, I'm willing to let more slide than if I think he's a liar. The idiot issue is even more prevalent when you're buying a clapped out high mileage car. If you're buying a 5k mile trailer queen, you would hope (though not expect) that the seller knows something about the car, but when you're dealing with a teenager selling a 120k mile car for $2k, you really need to have low expectations.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Where I'm going with this, is that as a buyer, you need to read the seller. Is he a lying scumbag, or just an idiot? If he's an idiot, I'm willing to let more slide than if I think he's a liar. The idiot issue is even more prevalent when you're buying a clapped out high mileage car. If you're buying a 5k mile trailer queen, you would hope (though not expect) that the seller knows something about the car, but when you're dealing with a teenager selling a 120k mile car for $2k, you really need to have low expectations.
I understand...hence why I gave the lady that claimed my 88 TA was not painted, when it was, a lot more slack than the guy with the 89 GTA that just outright lied to me about the condition...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

So that ad I posted off my local CL for the 91 Z28? The revised version just got better!!

"Its at shifts grate 80k original miles runs grate has 5000 in new parts papers to prove it just needs cosmetic stuff I have pics just text or call me anytime no after market stuff Adalt owed Maby trades come test drive it lt1 engine 305 "

So its either powered by a 5.7, a 305, or an LT1. Interesting....
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 Clone
Engine: Bored .030, vortec sbc350
Transmission: Built T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 1999 Torsen 4:10 Locker

Make sticky. /endthread.

Awesome work here sir.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Originally Posted by vistageek92
Make sticky. /endthread.

Awesome work here sir.
Thank you! Check the For Sale sections...it already is a sticky!