History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!

I am looking for the stories of the day we picked up our cars if you got yours new! I will share mine Add original pictures if you have them!

The hardest part was after we ordered it (dad was a GM employee and got discount and I was only child) waiting the time till it arrived. I remember getting something like an options/buildsheet that showed the options of the car and the VIN as it had been made and was going to get transported to the dealer. then one day coming to the dealership and finding a TA that was all dusty that had just come off the truck and checking the VIN.. knowing that they had to prep it and that was mine.. omg.. best feeling ever! it was black with black ground effects package. The whale tale I had ordered in 85 was an option but this was an 86 and that came standard. I remember being miffed about that since I thought it would stand out since most 85s did not have those but they were an option. I remember being upset with the placement of the 3rd break light since that was its first year. It grew on me...
next day they took off the silly red tape above the ground effects and I had what would look like next years GTA (little did I know they were taking off the tape in detroit for the prototypes) and it looked so freakin mean! sigh. memories...
That night I had cruised all day... some idiot didnt hook up the fan.. it overheated and had to be towed back... fun. Brand new.
Here are period pics of it.. this was before GTAs existed..

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 15 Ram, 88 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 (4th Gen)
Re: Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!

My mother bought her 85 Z28 brand new after her 280zx was stolen. Black with grey trim, and of course, louvers. I still remember sitting in the back seat, while she jammed bon jovi and peeled out from every light. I have pictures ina box somewhere, Ill have to dig them out.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Sorry guys, this isn't vehicle history or originality related.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

Exception granted. I'd like to hear people's experiences of buying Third Gens new myself!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks I was just about to beg I know about my experience but wanted to hear about those many others! Its like listening to someone who bought a new 67 Camaro.. that is history of those cars!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Alright, mine is a bit different. I got my first new Trans Am in 1990. Technicaly it wasnt off the lot brand new, but I think you will like the story. My first TA had just over 200 miles on it when it was totaled. I bought it to rebuild and that started my purchase of many many birds of all kinds. It was a black car with limo tint windows from Las Vegas. If any of you have taken apart these cars to the metal floor you will know the ash tray eats quarters as fast as a slot machine. This was when i was 16 and started my love for body work and fabrication. You could also make alot of money then as there was no auction for a totaled car. They simply sold it! I paid a whoping $1,200 for that car. After that i started buying new totals of any kind of bird I could get my hands on. The problem was I could always make alot of money so I never kept them. I've always wanted one to keep. I finaly got one to keep two years ago and am finaly building it now!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

I had a friend who was a salesman at the dealer. I tried to buy an ’88 Formula, but did not have enough down-payment for the 350. I saved for another year while drooling over all the literature Pontiac put out. Then the TTA showed up in ’89, and it was out of reach. My friend told me to wait till Aug/Sept as the new years’ models would come out, the dealer would deal a little, and insurance would consider the car one year old. I almost waited too long, as there were none to be found in Mpls. They found mine in Sioux Falls SD, and some lucky employee was sent to drive it to Mpls for my sale.
Several mechanics in the shop came over and told me I was getting a really nice car. They all liked the clean lines of the Formula. They opened the service door, I climbed behind the wheel, hit the pedal, and the steering wheel briefly jumped out of my hands, oh yeah! I got used to the torquieness pretty quickly, though. That day was Aug 12, 1989.
On Sept 10th, I drove over to Road America and saw Danny Sullivan win the CART race. I dreamed of one day driving my car on the track – I knew it was just a dream. But, the future is made up of dreams, and the track is now in my backyard.
I was working for the U of MN, I was given time off w/out pay when school was not in session (Spring Break week, 3 weeks between summer school and fall start-up, and 3 weeks at the holidays). I bought the car with the idea of touring the US with it. Today, I have MS & LA left; and every state above Yankee Stadium. That first Holiday break in ‘89, I drove out to CA, and drove up and down Hwy 1. Another dream – buy a new sports car, go out to CA and drive up and down the coast – border to border. My brother was living in Santa Barbara and my best friend had moved back in with his folks for a year in San Rafael (20 min No. of the Golden Gate). I put more miles on my car inside CA, than the total of miles for the roundtrip from Mpls. When I got back to Mpls, I parked it with 33,500 miles on it – 4 ½ months!!
Santa Barbara Dec. ’89, it was 75* and Mpls was -25* = 100* difference. Funny how one remembers little facts.

Driving thorugh Big Sur, we stopped for a photo - yeah, this is me 24 yrs ago. There was a popular Toyota commercial: "You want it, You got it, Toyota," and the happy customers would jump in the air. My brother insisted we create our own commercial.

Then, up in the Avenue of the Giants, I drove my new car into a tree!!

A dream come true, on track at Road America.

And my car at Road America this last summer, as it is now.

Never sell your car, and make your dreams come true.
Brian
Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
I had a friend who was a salesman at the dealer. I tried to buy an ’88 Formula, but did not have enough down-payment for the 350. I saved for another year while drooling over all the literature Pontiac put out. Then the TTA showed up in ’89, and it was out of reach. My friend told me to wait till Aug/Sept as the new years’ models would come out, the dealer would deal a little, and insurance would consider the car one year old. I almost waited too long, as there were none to be found in Mpls. They found mine in Sioux Falls SD, and some lucky employee was sent to drive it to Mpls for my sale.
Several mechanics in the shop came over and told me I was getting a really nice car. They all liked the clean lines of the Formula. They opened the service door, I climbed behind the wheel, hit the pedal, and the steering wheel briefly jumped out of my hands, oh yeah! I got used to the torquieness pretty quickly, though. That day was Aug 12, 1989.
On Sept 10th, I drove over to Road America and saw Danny Sullivan win the CART race. I dreamed of one day driving my car on the track – I knew it was just a dream. But, the future is made up of dreams, and the track is now in my backyard.
I was working for the U of MN, I was given time off w/out pay when school was not in session (Spring Break week, 3 weeks between summer school and fall start-up, and 3 weeks at the holidays). I bought the car with the idea of touring the US with it. Today, I have MS & LA left; and every state above Yankee Stadium. That first Holiday break in ‘89, I drove out to CA, and drove up and down Hwy 1. Another dream – buy a new sports car, go out to CA and drive up and down the coast – border to border. My brother was living in Santa Barbara and my best friend had moved back in with his folks for a year in San Rafael (20 min No. of the Golden Gate). I put more miles on my car inside CA, than the total of miles for the roundtrip from Mpls. When I got back to Mpls, I parked it with 33,500 miles on it – 4 ½ months!!
Santa Barbara Dec. ’89, it was 75* and Mpls was -25* = 100* difference. Funny how one remembers little facts.
Nice story and nice car & pics!
I got to drive Rt 1 in a Pontiac Grand Am rental from golden gate to Santa Rosa, CA. I am jealous! At least I was in a pontiac!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am/WS6

I bought mine in May of 1985. I traded in my '79 Z28 for it.

Originally, I had ordered a 5-speed car with the 305 HO but after waiting for three months and getting excuse after excuse as to what was taking so long, I bought my current car off the lot. The story the dealership gave me was that the HOs were having a hard time passing emissions, but who knows - water under the bridge, now.

I paid around $18,000 for it and had a 13% loan!

Every where I drove that car, heads turned. Sixteen inch wheels, fuel injection - all stuff of supercars back then! I once owned a '73 Grand Am with a 400 and this car has all the low-end grunt that car had. It still runs great and I have replaced very few items (batteries, water pump, tires, headliner). One issue though, was all the warranty work in the first few years - ticky tack stuff like door locks, headlight actuators, ash tray, etc.

I thought about getting rid of it many times. After all, that's a lot of time to have the same car. I've grown to love it again and now hold on to it for my kids.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Greg '85 T/A
I thought about getting rid of it many times. After all, that's a lot of time to have the same car. I've grown to love it again and now hold on to it for my kids.
I completely understand that, but I have never thought about selling it. I thought my dream of re-building it better was not going to happen.
A couple more pics, then I'll stop and let others post up.

Drove 24 hrs straight from Mpls to Bryce Canyon - spring break '93 or '94.

Walked bleary eyed into the canyon, and this was my fist photo:

And then, this

Lastly, my favorite pic (blown up to poster size) of Zion Natl Park. Out of the darkness and into the light - with a windy, twisty road ahead.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM

TEDSgrad, you need to paint the bottom silver and add the stripes back on. I love the look of the two tone Formulas.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

I've thought about it, but I never liked the 'stickers'. I like the clean canvas look. Paint will be a year old in Feb. I can always add if I decide. The grey did serve a function for rock chips, though.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

I paid $15,000 exactly - that included a dealer Pennzoil undercarriage rustproof (which I tried to get out of). And interest rates were high back then. I think the original loan was 12 percent.
I refinanced in '94. My younger brother was living in Paris and managing an AMA team here in the states. He was the first to import an Aprilia 250cc works bike to the US. Those pics from Utah were on the way down to Phoenix to see his bike as it was the second race of the AMA season. My brother had not even seen the bike in person, yet. His team received one of two at large bids for the '94 US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca (FIMA race). I refinanced and we drove back out to CA, again! Lots of good memories.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4

TED, great story and awesome pics! I did post a comment on your pic where your jumping.
I so do remember the toyota commercial, but i remember when it when they were saying "I love what you do for me, Toyota!" and the people were jumping in the air next to the car. I have to say that pic is a classic 80s moment!
I wish i could tell a story when i bought a 3rdgen new, but since i am a 80s child i can only remember when my 2nd cousin who's much older then i was at the time bought a 82 trans am....He was so into the knight rider theme that i still remember him in the leather coat and aviation pilot glasses on, on the mountain side in cali. I believe he even bought a 89 white gta later on. I'm asking his brother right now if he has any pics to show, because these memories are something to behold! I guess, with those 2 cars and then my uncle having a Heritage camaro at the time, lead me to purchase my own 3rd gen down the road...was fan then, even bigger fan now...
Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM

I love the look of the two tone. I think it looks sporty. This is my dream Firebird when i find it (only in 350 model). someday!

Attached Thumbnails Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-whitegray.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RockinGTA89
a classic 80s moment!
....He was so into the knight rider theme that i still remember him in the leather coat and aviation pilot glasses on, on the mountain side in cali. ...

I was never into the knight rider theme, but "leather coat, aviation glasses, mountain side in CA" - that describes me 24 yrs ago. I just have to post one more pic from that Hwy 1 cruise.

Let's see some other folks post up!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like Justin's Formy - been watching the maggie build?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I love the look of the two tone. I think it looks sporty. This is my dream Firebird when i find it (only in 350 model). someday!

funny you mention that...i kept a old pic from hot rod mag of march 05 edition, had the final page of this formula...
it mentions it's a 89 formula 350 out of Long Island, New York. Supposively, at the time it for ran 17 seasons on the original bone stock short block that never been out of it's car. (does it look like it hasn't?) Then by the time this photo shoot took place the car now runs mids 10s ...can't say it looks stock now.
Funny thing i see on the car, it looks like it was being endorsed by SLP? because the door says Performance by SLP formula 350

and we all know that Long Island isn't that far from the SLP New Jersey building.
Attached Thumbnails Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-drag-pic.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Car: 1969 RS Z28 X33 Norwood built
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: T10 4 speed

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Di...tml?sort=3&o=1

I ordered my 1991 RS in October of 1990 at the tender young age of 20. I fell in love with the IROCZ in 1985 and always wanted a blue one. Finally in 1990 I came up with the $$ to buy a brand new one. I wanted a Z28 but couldn't afford the insurance on one so I settled on an RS. Chevy had just come out with a new color. Dark Teal metallic and I had to have it. Finding a loaded one with a 5 speed manual was near impossible so I ended up ordering one. The 12 weeks it took the Van Nuys plant to build it felt like 12 years at the time. I still remember the day I took delivery like it was yesterday. Unfortunately the L03 V8 that came in that car was underwhelming and I got tired of it after 3 years. If it had had the TPI LB9 I would probably still have it. It was the first Teal camaro in my town and boy did it turn heads. I attached a photo of the window sticker but being an internet dummy I don't know how to make it show up on here.
Attached Thumbnails Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-scan-53.jpeg   Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-scan-55.jpeg  

Last edited by ((Mike)); 01-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

I remember my father buying a brand new fully loaded red IROC, every option including the l98. Red with red leather interior. I loved that car and was the first car I ever got to drive around. Both my parents were sheriffs deputies, and occasionally would bring home the patrol vehicles.....well my mom (who loves to go fast), got first pickings of the brand new B4C special service package camaros for the sheriffs department. It was all decked out with all the police goodies, and looked really cool with all the flashing lights, lol. Well I decided I wanted one of those police package cars....but they do not sell the police package cars new to the public....so wait I did until I bought mine at a local police auction...of course they took most all the nifty police equipment out of it, but left the dealer added roll cage and I think they forgot to remove (but glad they didn't) the headlight and tail light wig wag flashers which I still have on the car today.

Although I didn't buy the car brand new, I bought it as new as I could to the public...so that counts as new right?? lol

Here is the car in stock trim.

And at a car show last year
Attached Thumbnails Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-65446_169345216436660_7237039_n.jpg   Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-camaro-car-show.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 91interceptorZ
I remember my father buying a brand new fully loaded red IROC, every option including the l98. Red with red leather interior. I loved that car and was the first car I ever got to drive around. Both my parents were sheriffs deputies, and occasionally would bring home the patrol vehicles.....well my mom (who loves to go fast), got first pickings of the brand new B4C special service package camaros for the sheriffs department. It was all decked out with all the police goodies, and looked really cool with all the flashing lights, lol. Well I decided I wanted one of those police package cars....but they do not sell the police package cars new to the public....so wait I did until I bought mine at a local police auction...of course they took most all the nifty police equipment out of it, but left the dealer added roll cage and I think they forgot to remove (but glad they didn't) the headlight and tail light wig wag flashers which I still have on the car today.

Although I didn't buy the car brand new, I bought it as new as I could to the public...so that counts as new right?? lol

Here is the car in stock trim.

And at a car show last year
Very nice car! Too bad you couldn't get the B4Z cars with T-tops! I have always loved them and wouldn't own one without them.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

I thought about adding t tops....i dunno though about doing that.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

funny you mention that...i kept a old pic from hot rod mag of march 05 edition, had the final page of this formula...
it mentions it's a 89 formula 350 out of Long Island, New York. Supposively, at the time it for ran 17 seasons on the original bone stock short block that never been out of it's car. (does it look like it hasn't?) Then by the time this photo shoot took place the car now runs mids 10s ...can't say it looks stock now.
Funny thing i see on the car, it looks like it was being endorsed by SLP? because the door says Performance by SLP formula 350

and we all know that Long Island isn't that far from the SLP New Jersey building.
I talk to (Nick) the owner of that car 3-4 times a year though E-mail, he still has the car. He told me that it was used by SLP to promote their company to dealers in the area.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4

This story is a little bit different.....The original owner of my 89 GTA traded in a 1988 Cadillac Allante and cash in order to buy the GTA. (Talk about a salesman making out like a bandit). He owned the GTA for 1 week and then sold it back to the dealer and bought a Jeep instead. The GTA stickered for $31,000 cdn back then. I still have the receipt.

My Dad bought the GTA and as far as I'm concerned is the real original owner. I remember being so disappointed when he brought it home. Because I wanted to get a blue IROC with 5 speed and T-tops and the rear window louvers. And here he shows up with a black Trans Am with 4 speed automatic and solid roof. No window louvers. I can't even count the amount of times I sat in the back seat, tilted the other seat down, and then took a nap turned sideways.

Kids used to ask all the time if the car talked.

Over the years, I grew to like the GTA more and more. And today actually prefer the solid roof and the automatic. When Dad thought about trading the car for a 2002 black Firehawk 6 speed coupe, I knew the dealer wouldn't give him much. So I made him a better offer and scooped it up. When I bought it, it had 23,000 miles on it. I've since put another 40,000 on it.

Last edited by Reid Fleming; 01-17-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 91interceptorZ
I thought about adding t tops....i dunno though about doing that.
Don't cut into that top. It is what it is. Its a really nice car!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
This story is a little bit different.....The original owner of my 89 GTA traded in a 1988 Cadillac Allante and cash in order to buy the GTA. (Talk about a salesman making out like a bandit). He owned the GTA for 1 week and then sold it back to the dealer and bought a Jeep instead. The GTA stickered for $31,000 cdn back then. I still have the receipt.

My Dad bought the GTA and as far as I'm concerned is the real original owner. I remember being so disappointed when he brought it home. Because I wanted to get a blue IROC with 5 speed and T-tops and the rear window louvers. And here he shows up with a black Trans Am with 4 speed automatic and solid roof. No window louvers.

Kids used to ask all the time if the car talked.

Over the years, I grew to like the GTA more and more. And today actually prefer the solid roof and the automatic. When Dad thought about trading the car for a 2002 black Firehawk 6 speed coupe, I knew the dealer wouldn't give him much. So I made him a better offer and scooped it up. When I bought it, it had 23,000 miles on it. I've since put another 40,000 on it.
A blue 5 speed IROC has always been my dream camaro.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

All of the stories are great! I was never able to buy a third gen new because I was only 15 when they went out of production lol! However my first car was an f-body! Keep those stories coming, because I'm loving them all.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ((Mike))
Don't cut into that top. It is what it is. Its a really nice car!
thanks.....I do miss my old 88 t top iroc though hahaha
Old 01-18-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire

I never had an opportunity to buy a new third gen, but my mother bought one in '85. It was a Z28, 305 with the then-new TPI (first year in the Camaro) option, black with gold trim & gold wheels, t-tops, automatic and just about nothing else. Seriously. The car had a factory AM radio, black vinyl buckets and crank windows. Since the Delco AM radio did not have digital tuning (it was analog tuning -- turn the **** to move the needle!) the car had the center console clock. My parents obviously needed tunes so the dealership ordered and eventually installed a Delco AM/FM/Cassette head unit.

The story goes like this. My Mom had a 4 door Cadillac DeVille of some early 80s or maybe even late 70s vintage. It was our family car and had been on many road trips. She decided it was time for a new car and I remember visiting several Caddy dealers with my parents as they looked for a new car. On one Saturday morning, they were going to go visit another Caddy dealer and asked if I wanted to go. Tired of looking at Cadillacs, I declined and stayed home.

So the parents disappear for three of four hours and eventually come home. Mom comes in all excited and says she bought a new car and tells me to go out to the garage to take a look. Thinking it's going to be another Cadillac, I gradually make my way out there to find a shiny, black Z28 sitting there.

I wish we had video back then like we do today and that she could have recorded my reaction because I distinctly remember my jaw hitting the floor. I was stunned.

The car was beautiful. My dad and I immediately jumped in and went out for a spin. I can still hear the exhaust rumble in my head and the car shifting gears as my dad got on and off the throttle. I remember the bright orange Z28 dash emblem in front of me in the passenger seat and looking out the glass tops.

My love of Camaros started with this car. It was the car I learned to drive with and I took my first driver's license test in. When we got home after I got my license, my Mom handed me my own set of keys for it and let me take it anywhere. Looking back on things, it was a pretty amazing thing to be 16 and have the opportunity to drive a new Z28 whenever I wanted-- even if it wasn't really my car. I washed it, cleaned it and took care of it.

Unfortunately, the car was a bit of a mechanical nightmare -- mostly due to the TPI but also due to the leaky t-tops. I'm trying to remember the exact situation with the TPI, but the injectors, after a few thousand miles, would gum up causing the engine to miss - badly. The dealership said it was a computer problem and changed the injectors (denting the TPI runner on one side because they pried against it) but after a few thousand miles the miss came back. My dad eventually rigged up a tank that we hooked to the fuel line so we could run injector cleaner and gas directly into the injection system to clean it. I remember putting the car on stands and having to hold the throttle wide open to keep the motor running while dad held the tank with the cleaner. White some POURED out of the exhaust as the engine burned the gas/cleaner mix. A neighbor came running over thinking our garage was on fire. But -- when all was said and done the miss was done and the motor ran great -- for another few thousand miles until this miss started coming back.

The car only stayed with us one year. My Mom (it was her car) was so frustrated with the leaky t-tops and the recurring engine miss that she traded the Camaro for a new 1986 Cutlass. I really hated that Olds because it replaced my beloved Z28.

I was truly devastated the night my parents traded the 1985 Z28, but for the year or so we had the car, it sure made some strong memories and set in motion my passion and appreciation for third gens. It's something that lasts to this day.

I have a few pictures somewhere of the car that I'll dig up and post. Nothing is more humbling than posting a picture of yourself with 80s hair.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro, 2004 9c1 impala
Engine: TPI 350, previous owner hackjob
Transmission: built out 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 373, LSD, GIRDLE

I was born in 1992 so no luck here! The only Camaro I could see myself in "new" today would be that fine z28 they just rolled out, way too much money for a kid like me.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 01-18-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 11ellswray
I was born in 1992 so no luck here! The only Camaro I could see myself in "new" today would be that fine azz z28 they just rolled out, way too much money for a kid like me.
My Formula was way too much money for me at the time ($235/mo + $120/mo insurance). When I stored it winters, I took the city bus for two winters till I could afford a "winter beater fund" to get me through. Actually, I'm still doing the same thing in essence, just a little less beater but same philosophy.
The future is made from the dreams of the present. I don't recommend economic slavery just for a car, though. I was lucky to work for a University - not a lot of money, excellent benefits, & 7 weeks unpaid, BUT I was able to take 2 classes per quarter (now on semester format) for free and my degree took 10 yrs! Life has other pressing needs, and you younger guys are getting a raw deal handed to you. Leverage the strengths of where you are in life. If you're young, take advantage of your freedom and lack of responsibilities. A good running car can enhance that sense of freedom and you can take off exploring this exceptional country we have and the gorgeous National Park system. When family & responsibility comes along (a better trade-off, indeed), you'll have some memories to share and even a desire to keep creating memories.
To quote another commercial: 'Stay thirsty, my friend.'
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

I actually have had 2 Thirdgens new. Both were "owned" by Dad but I was the main driver. With my TA I was the only driver. Neither Mom or Dad ever drove the car. Hate to say that now as Mom has passed and Dad still regrets it.

The first third gen I owned was a Camaro Sports Coupe. I was 15 and could not drive yet. Dad and mom went to Pontiac and Chevy dealerships. I liked the firebird due to the low nose and the tie in with KITT but my parents liked the camaro but allowed it to be in black. the car had the 2.8 V6. Dad knew I would be driving it and wanted it to not have any real power.. thanks dad!
it had crank windows and manual locks etc. We took a trip in it to FL from ohio within the first month of owning it. I had to be in the back seat most of the way.. I am 6ft.. painful. on the way down we had smoke coming from under the hood and found a union man's glove in between the frame and the exhaust manifold on fire... So second issue with line workers if you read my first post in this thread. so I guess this stuff was common. I loved the Camaro and put on wider tires and larger rims and smoked headlight covers that almost got me in an accident. but sorry no pics. My heart still was with the firebirds and when the style of ground effects changed in 85 I loved the look. I thought it was a meaner looking car while the 82-84 looked sleeker. I loved it to look mean!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Supreme Member

ttt
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

I was actually going to buy a 86 Iroc Vert for my daughters graduation gift.She was graduating HS in 88 and I figured I would use it for a couple years then gift it to her when she graduated.So I went to the local Chevy dealer that night and the place was closed for the day,so on the way back to my home I would pass a Pontiac dealer and they had their lights still on so I stopped in and their it was on the showroom floor,TTops off,Red interior, all shiny under the lights and I knew right then that was the car I was getting for her (me).So after driving the car for a couple years I had 2nd thoughts, changed my mind,(snow,a little to fast)she wasn't getting the TA.So here we are 27 years later and it's still here with a new facelift.Now my Grand kids want it.
PS,my daughter did get a new 88 Cougar for Graduation.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mantaguy
I was actually going to buy a 86 Iroc Vert for my daughters graduation gift.She was graduating HS in 88 and I figured I would use it for a couple years then gift it to her when she graduated.So I went to the local Chevy dealer that night and the place was closed for the day,so on the way back to my home I would pass a Pontiac dealer and they had their lights still on so I stopped in and their it was on the showroom floor,TTops off,Red interior, all shiny under the lights and I knew right then that was the car I was getting for her (me).So after driving the car for a couple years I had 2nd thoughts, changed my mind,(snow,a little to fast)she wasn't getting the TA.So here we are 27 years later and it's still here with a new facelift.Now my Grand kids want it.
PS,my daughter did get a new 88 Cougar for Graduation.
Nice story! glad you still have it.. wish I still had my original one.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Thanks 86,hey I was just thinking,now my THIRD GEN want's my THIRD GEN
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

cute yeah my son want mine... he is 14
Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM

well before they drive your ride, make them understand the power behind these vehicles...it is to be respected because this is old tech! No abs, no air bags (cept 90 and up), traction control (unless you call limited slip traction control), no back up camera, navigation system, etc... It's awesome to feel when open up but in any given situation however, these cars are raw as their 60 and 70s counterparts and in general aren't as refine as our new vehicles of today and can easily put you in a uncomfortable situation if your not prepared for it!

anywho, TTT! more stories! Tell Grimlock story!...
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM

In july of 1984 I bought a brand new 84 trans am. Bought it in minnesota and drove it to california and had until around 2005.

think it was stickered at 17xxx

Was red and gold on the bottom with gold rims. Had the brown and tan two tone interior, all options including 5.0 h.o./automatic, 3.73 rear, aero package etc. etc.

was dead at 262k miles and I went to a 4th gen Camaro.

No pictures
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7
Transmission: T-56

more stories! Tell Grimlock story!...
Wonderful
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

i would love to hear the experience of a person who bought a TTA or firehawk new!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM

I ordered and bought my 83 Z28 from Crisswell chevrolet in gaitersburg maryland in 1983 for about 12,000 dollars....305 4 barrel carb 5 speed shift, no electric anything except back window defogger...positraction 3:42 rear ....bose radio and t-tops....it now has over 300,000 miles on it sitting in my barn. I sold my 72 rally sport a few years later for 650 dollars....Shown here with me in 1974.
Attached Thumbnails Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-31114_100707609979336_4316476_n.jpg   Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!-31114_100707603312670_6918996_n.jpg  

Last edited by MD83Z; 01-29-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Bought three new 3rdgens. Pics of each from "back in the day" are in the thread linked below in posts #20 and #22. I have more pics of the 1982 also.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...u-brought.html

Bought a 1982 Z28 from Blossom Chevrolet in Indianapolis in the spring of 1982. I'd made a great deal with one of the more elderly salesman to order one, but the sales manager didn't like it. So the manager offered me a deal on a similarly-optioned Z28 that was due to arrive in a few days, and I accepted it.

Bought a 1983 Z28 HO from Hubler Chevrolet in Indianapolis, special-ordered in the spring of 1983, took delivery in July 1983. I'd read about the HO in C&D before it was released, but no dealer claimed knowledge of it. Finally a sales woman at Hubler looked into it and confirmed that it would be available, but wasn't yet. So we wrote-up an order, optioned to my preferences, she informed me when it was released for production and the order was submitted. Now to sell my 1982 Z28...

The following weekend, Hubler had a Tent Sale, but they had no Camaros to offer. So I parked mine nearby, and they sent prospective buyers to see my one year old 1982 Z28, and I sold it that day.

My HO arrived in July. And right in the center of the driver's door was a quarter-sized impression in the metal--not damage, nor a dent, but an imperfection in the sheet metal that had gone unnoticed at the factory. I was very disappointed, but I got over it, and the 3 year love affair with my Z28 HO began. However, it ended abruptly in the spring of 1986 when I went outside one morning, and my car was GONE! It was never recovered.

Then after spending the entire summer of 1986 test driving everything under the sun, in October 1986 I ordered a 1987 Firebird Formula from Perillo BMW/Pontiac in Chicago, who kept trying to tell me that my option choices were incompatible, and they wouldn't order it as I'd spec'd. So I phoned Pontiac's technical department in Michigan, told them of my order and my interpretation of their order sheet, and they told me that I was correct, the dealer was wrong, and that the dealer should place the order exactly as I spec'd. The dealer did, and the order for my Formula was accepted. Then in January 1987 my Formula arrived, and I still have it; 27 years now.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-27-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86WS6 30K and 82WS7 24K
Engine: 86:305 TPI, 82: 305 LG4
Transmission: 86:700R4, 82: T200C
Axle/Gears: 86:3:27 9 bolt, 82: 3:23 10 bolt

In September 1982, I bought a new 1983 silver WS6 T-top TA with a stick shift from Griner Chevrolet/Pontiac in Quitman GA. One week later on my way to work crossing the bridge on the Nankin HY over the Withalacoochie River, the car was swept off into the river due to a flood. I had stopped and was going to turn around. A deputy sherrif waved me accross, stating that the water was only 4 inches deep. 24 inches was closer to accurate. The t-top saved me, as I popped the driver's side and swam to shore. The car was found a week later when the water receded, upside down in the mud. All of the glass was gone and it was smashed from every direction. My insurance paid full price for the car, $15,300.00, and than sued the county and recovered their money. One New Year's day 1983, I bought a new 1983 white WS7 T-top TA with the then new 700 R4 automatic. The car was a real lemon, and stayed in the shop most of the time. The major problem was overheating. After it burned up the original 305 engine, and the factory replaced it under warrenty, I got a recall notice from Pontiac. Some of the 83's were incorrectly fitted with Iron Duke and V-6 radiators. Mine was one of those cars, having a four cylinder radiator on a 305 in south GA where it gets very hot does not work. By the time the problem was discovered the car had been tinkered with so much that it was a total piece of crap. Pontiac acknowledged that the car had problems, and extended the bumper to bumper warrenty to 18K miles or 18 months. The more they worked on it, the worse it got. In June of 83 I traded it for a new K-5 Blazer, that we drove until it fell apart many years later. In August of 1983, I decided that I still very much wanted a 1983 TA. No longer dealing with Griner Motors in Quitman, because they told everyone that I was a nut and the car was fine, I went shopping at Griner Pontiac/Cadilliac in Valdosta. This dealer belonged to a different part of the same family. They had a new 1983 TA in white with t-tops. It had the 305 4 barrel and the 700 R4 auto. It had the base suspension with the 14 inch turbo fin wheels. I got a nice discount on the car, because the 84's were due in. The car was a gem. I kept it until 2003, then stupidly sold it because the wife did not like to ride in it. The car had 46K miles on it and was like new. I have no idea where it is today, but hope that it is doing well.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86WS6
In September 1982, I bought a new 1983 silver WS6 T-top TA with a stick shift from Griner Chevrolet/Pontiac in Quitman GA. One week later on my way to work crossing the bridge on the Nankin HY over the Withalacoochie River, the car was swept off into the river due to a flood. I had stopped and was going to turn around. A deputy sherrif waved me accross, stating that the water was only 4 inches deep. 24 inches was closer to accurate. The t-top saved me, as I popped the driver's side and swam to shore. The car was found a week later when the water receded, upside down in the mud. All of the glass was gone and it was smashed from every direction. My insurance paid full price for the car, $15,300.00, and than sued the county and recovered their money. One New Year's day 1983, I bought a new 1983 white WS7 T-top TA with the then new 700 R4 automatic. The car was a real lemon, and stayed in the shop most of the time. The major problem was overheating. After it burned up the original 305 engine, and the factory replaced it under warrenty, I got a recall notice from Pontiac. Some of the 83's were incorrectly fitted with Iron Duke and V-6 radiators. Mine was one of those cars, having a four cylinder radiator on a 305 in south GA where it gets very hot does not work. By the time the problem was discovered the car had been tinkered with so much that it was a total piece of crap. Pontiac acknowledged that the car had problems, and extended the bumper to bumper warrenty to 18K miles or 18 months. The more they worked on it, the worse it got. In June of 83 I traded it for a new K-5 Blazer, that we drove until it fell apart many years later. In August of 1983, I decided that I still very much wanted a 1983 TA. No longer dealing with Griner Motors in Quitman, because they told everyone that I was a nut and the car was fine, I went shopping at Griner Pontiac/Cadilliac in Valdosta. This dealer belonged to a different part of the same family. They had a new 1983 TA in white with t-tops. It had the 305 4 barrel and the 700 R4 auto. It had the base suspension with the 14 inch turbo fin wheels. I got a nice discount on the car, because the 84's were due in. The car was a gem. I kept it until 2003, then stupidly sold it because the wife did not like to ride in it. The car had 46K miles on it and was like new. I have no idea where it is today, but hope that it is doing well.
wow you had a few new! thanks!
also I dont think they had WS7 or 14 inch turbo wheels (no TAs came with 14...but 15" turbos and WS6 was not WS7)... typos. but I love the story!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM

[/QUOTE]Hey, 3rdgen Camaros and Firebirds were the most stolen cars of the '80s! I can attest to that.[/QUOTE]

hence why GM developed the VATS system for our vehicles and corvettes.

I didn't know Perillo was around that long! Perillo still around but not as a GM dealership but they sell BMWs and exotic vehicles downtown chicago.

It doesn't surprise me that they would tell you that your wrong about ordering your formula the way you wanted. I see may of times where they don't know what they got on their hands and never read all the paperwork and make blunt remarks about those options are not possible. Smart on your part for calling Pontiac Technical department, I don't think there are many savvy people who takes the time when purchasing their new vehicle by speaking to their tech department.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car number 1) WS6 car. Rear disc brakes. Had the 15 inch wheels with the bowling ball caps.

Car number 2) WS7 car. Rear drum brakes. Had the 15 inch turbocast wheels with the small center caps.

Car number 3) No suspension options. The car came with the 14 inch turbocast wheels with the small center caps. These are the wheels that one usually seen on the Firebird without the Trans Am package, however this was a Trans AM.

These are pics of car number three. So, Yeah, it really did come that way.

Name:  MVC-003F-2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  MVC-001F.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  MVC-007F-1.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  47.2 KB
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

I didn't know Perillo was around that long! Perillo still around but not as a GM dealership but they sell BMWs and exotic vehicles downtown chicago.

It doesn't surprise me that they would tell you that your wrong about ordering your formula the way you wanted. I see may of times where they don't know what they got on their hands and never read all the paperwork and make blunt remarks about those options are not possible. Smart on your part for calling Pontiac Technical department, I don't think there are many savvy people who takes the time when purchasing their new vehicle by speaking to their tech department.
Perillo was a BMW dealer back then, too. Nice to know they're still around. My employer was a personal friend of Joe Perillo and had always bought his BMWs from Joe, which is why I went there. I felt like I was visiting "da family," lol. They were nice people, but Pontiacs weren't their primary business. They did take good care of me. Got the car for cost.

About phoning Pontiac, I don't know how people today realize that there was a time when you could call a company on the phone and human beings would answer it and talk to you!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

There were a few WS7 cars built during the 1983 model year. Those odd-ball cars were built at the beginning of the model year during the transition from the 82 to 83 models.

The primary differences between the 82 and 83, was that in 83 the PMD seats were no longer available, the 700R4 trans replaced the T200 trans, the functional hood scoop for the carb cars was added for 83, and the bowling ball wheel covers were discontinued in favor of the Turbo Cast wheels with the small caps available in 14 and 15 inch sizes.

The early 82's used a cap to cover the hole in the door panel when the car was ordered with electric windows. In late 82 a solid door panel was introduced.

My current 82 model that I purchased in 2012, is a WS7 car also. It has the 15 inch bowling ball wheels and the aluminum brake drums on the rear. For reference, this is that car.

Name:  Picture1296.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  200.4 KB

Quick Reply: Did you buy one NEW back in the day? Tell your story!