History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Mecham ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 MSE #117
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Mecham ride height

Hi, I am new to this site. It is a great resource. I recently purchased a 83 mecham (83-117) and am trying to restore it to its original condtion, or as close as possible. This car was supposedly stored for a number of years in a "Barn?" I think it sat with a flat tire or on uneven ground because the springs are collapsed. One side of the frame was resting on the rubber bumpers. When I set the springs on the ground the 2 front springs are 1.5 inches different in free length, the rears are goofy too. I want to restore it to the original mecham ride height. All the build sheet says is "specific rate coil springs" I cannot find out how much the car was lowered from original. I am thinking of putting in a set of Eibach Sportline with a 1.6" drop front and 1.3" drop rear and hope for the best. I talked with Dennis Mecham but was not able to get the specific info I needed. He said most of the records were destroyed. His information is mostly from memory. Any info about ride height or spring info would be a great help. Thanks... Henry
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 82 MSE/89 TTA/89 Formula/99 TA
Re: Mecham ride height

I know of your car, the blue L69 5 speed, as I was considering purchasing it also, not from who you purchased, but the previous owner to her.

FWIW, I believe the car was in an accident, and repaired, so maybe that is part of the reason it does not sit correctly. I have MSE 82-055 and have restored it as much as possible to original. We did nothing to the suspension as it was a lower mile car to begin with. As you have found, there are very little paper records and when talking with Dennis, the info is mostly from memory recall. The stock tire size with the Modern Wheels for the MSE was 255/60/15 so they do fill up the wheel wells.

Good luck with the resto!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 AM

Yes. Thats the one and yes it was in an accident. I have some replacement decals from D Mecham in an envelope dated 1991. So I am thinking thats about the time it happened. If you know anything more about the car I would be interested to hear it, just because its a cool car. I bought the car last fall for my wife because she had a 83 trans am before. But not a Mecham. This one was very similar to the one she had. We found this one on ebay looked pretty nice. Low miles, no accidents, drive it home. You know the drill.

Shipped it home , took it to Taco bell..... Boy was I happy that we made it home again.

Its finally almost done I drove it around the block yesterday. I dissasembled inspected and rebuilt the motor, clutch, transmission, rear axle, shocks, struts, springs, fuel tank. Replaced the carb, exhaust, radiator, brakes, rotors and calipers.

On the positive side the interior is almost perfect and the radio will blast out Bon Jovi like you are in the front row.

I learned an interesting lesson about buying cars sight unseen. Turns out I have more money than brains, so I will have a pretty nice driver when I am done.

Henry
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 AM

On a serious note.. I replaced the struts and coil springs on this car and this is what I found out. I ordered a Eibach pro springs Kit (3801-140) to put on this car. When I compared the origional Mecham springs that I took out of the car to the Eibach springs, They were almost identical. The mecham springs and the Eibach both measured 12-1/2" unsprung height, both had 3/4" wire diameter, both coils measured 5-5/8" diameter. The Mecham spring had 7-5/8" coils and the Eibach had 7 coils.

The rears were similar also, both had 1/2"wire, however the mecham spring was 11-9/16" unsprung height, 5-1/4" coil diameter, and 7-3/8 coils. and was linear design. The Eibach spring was 14-3/4 long unsprung, 5-7/16 coil diameter, 8-3/4 coils but was progressive design.

On the ground the vehicle measurements were 8" clearance at the front of the rocker panels and 8-1/4" clearance at the rear. factory spec is 10" front and rear. So the car now sits 2 inches lower than stock. The front tires have 2-1/2" clearance from the fender lip, and the reartires have 3" clearance. It looks very close to the correct height of a new Mecham Trans am.

If anyone can post the measurements from a stock Mecham. I could compare that to mine and it would help me to know if I got the height correct.

Thanks Henry
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 82 MSE/89 TTA/89 Formula/99 TA

Henry-sent you a PM.