History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Can you help with my car value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you help with my car value?

I have an 84 2.8l base model with 8000 original miles. A one owner and was driven for 30 years... just to the store a few times each month... my 84 year old aunt bought the car brand new and kept in the garage... EVERYTHING is original except for a tuneup and new pads in the front... a/c is not working but i have no problem fixing it if it will improve value and saleability substantially... i would give it an 8.5/10 on exterior and a 9.5/10 on the interior ... NO RUST ANYWHERE!! I would like to sell but have no idea where to begin the asking price.... kbb gives a value around 2500$ but will not consider mileage and condition of classic cars ... any help is appreciated!!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Can you help with my car value?

Originally Posted by seabordo
I have an 84 2.8l base model with 8000 original miles....

So you say ;

"I have an 84 2.8l base model with 8000 original miles"

To which I say ;

"All well and wonderful , BUT ! , in 1984 GM put the 2.8 into a whole boatload of different car models ."

Sooo , , just exactly which model line's "base model" are we talking here , Camaro ? Firebird ?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 PM

Geez, I'm an idiot... Camaro... my apologies. I have looked at Haggerty, Kbb, and Nada... The value I found through NADA was $5050 for high retail... I appreciate any additional helpful input such as should I leave it all original or what should I/could I do to increase its value?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

It may help on predicting a price if you posted some pictures. Interior, exterior, engine bay, and maybe some from underneath.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

It's not worth much. Just the way it is.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Can you give me an idea as to what I might do to increase the value?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Ill get more pics posted today
Old 10-08-2017, 01:16 PM
COTM Editor

Can you give me an idea as to what I might do to increase the value?
You can raise it to $10k by putting $20k worth of mods in it.

My car has a V6 VIN code too. Not trying to bust your chops, just relaying the reality of the situation we are both in.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:25 PM
COTM Editor

Where is the car located?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:54 PM
COTM Editor

kbb gives a value around 2500$ but will not consider mileage and condition of classic cars ... any help is appreciated!!
That's because it doesn't matter much. For example, let's say a car is worth $2,000 but it has something special about it that raises the value 20%. Well, that's still just $2400, which is near the same thing. Once a car gets down to a low value the differentiation becomes nearly pointless to debate.

You don't have something VALUABLE but you do have something DESIRABLE. I think your best buyer is "The Builder" that wants a clean starting point to build a custom car. They have lots of cash and the purchase of the car is just the first step towards turning the car into something amazing (usually a mean street machine).

Whatever you do, please, please, PLEASE!!!! don't sell to "The Dealer Hunter". This kind of buyer has only enough cash to buy the car and not enough cash to maintain the car. You sell to this person and the car will be trashed within three years. A local for sale ad will bring you these people by the dozens. That's why I'm glad you posted here first.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:05 PM

here are some pics...

Last edited by seabordo; 10-08-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

Well, from the looks of it, it is a very clean car. With that said, I would double whats been thrown out there just because you will weed out a lot of, "I'll give you half now, and some more next month" kind of transactions. You could list it on EBAY with either a (buy it now price) or on bids with a reserve. And list it on here, TGO, with a price and or make an offer. If you do list it on the internet, take lots of pictures and disclose everything, and make sure the car doesn't leave your sight with out it fully paid for. Don't sign the tittle until you get the cash checked for counterfeit, or Paypal, or a cashiers check is cashed. You may not get the full price your asking, but I'm sure you'll get more than a couple grand for it. Now also keep in mind, that some people that may want it, it will need to pass inspection in some states. You could disclose that your state doesn't require an inspection, and it's up to the buyer to make it pass. The point I'm making, is try to get the most out of it you can. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:58 PM
COTM Editor

How high was the water?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
How high was the water?
Did not flood in my area at all ... car was in the garage
Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

You see a lot of cars like this... Granny's Sunday fair weather car, low miles, shockingly good condition, but lacking excitement that would attract a buyer. The V6 really kills it. It's probably worth more than you paid, but getting that money out of it isn't going to be easy. Price it where you're comfortable, and get ready to keep bumping your add for a few years.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
You see a lot of cars like this... Granny's Sunday fair weather car, low miles, shockingly good condition, but lacking excitement that would attract a buyer. The V6 really kills it. It's probably worth more than you paid, but getting that money out of it isn't going to be easy. Price it where you're comfortable, and get ready to keep bumping your add for a few years.
I appreciate your input... thank you!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42

OK.

I'll be the jerk.

Pics are not good.

Paint looks mediocre.

Need to see under the hood. At least 6 pics from different angles.

Need to see under the car - front suspension, pinch welds,undersides of floorboards, and exhaust.

Need to see headliner in interior.

Most places, you have about a thousand dollar car with that one assuming typical condition of the un-shown components I mentioned.

The whitewall tires are positively horrible.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42

The 8,000 miles odometer is a huge red flag with a car of this sort.

Unless there is sound paperwork to document that number being the actual mileage, I would be very uncomfortable with accepting that number.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by W.E.G.
The 8,000 miles odometer is a huge red flag with a car of this sort.

Unless there is sound paperwork to document that number being the actual mileage, I would be very uncomfortable with accepting that number.
Duly noted ... I know the owner and her driving habits ... the condition of the car speaks for itself... there would be wear on the gear shift, radio *****, and anywhere else your hands touch regularly...?as well as wear in the carpet where the pedals are ,wear on the pedals, turn signals, etc. there is no sign of wear on any of these items... thanks for your input...
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 AM
On Probation

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro vert/86 SC
Engine: 355 tbi/2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: 2.72 posi/3.42 open

Hi there,
Nice SC. Very good condition. I would suggest fixing the A/C, and convert to R134 if you can. That will help sale value, and you will likely get your money back from the repair. The less that is wrong with the car, the easier it is to sell.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Nice lil car. In saying that honestly if it fetches 2k you will be lucky. Because its so clean and low mileage. Someone could make a nice car out of it.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy
Hi there,
Nice SC. Very good condition. I would suggest fixing the A/C, and convert to R134 if you can. That will help sale value, and you will likely get your money back from the repair. The less that is wrong with the car, the easier it is to sell.
Thanks!! I appreciate your input...
Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by dmccain
Nice lil car. In saying that honestly if it fetches 2k you will be lucky. Because its so clean and low mileage. Someone could make a nice car out of it.
Thanks... challenge accepted!! Lol
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by W.E.G.
OK.

I'll be the jerk.

Pics are not good.

Paint looks mediocre.

Need to see under the hood. At least 6 pics from different angles.

Need to see under the car - front suspension, pinch welds,undersides of floorboards, and exhaust.

Need to see headliner in interior.

Most places, you have about a thousand dollar car with that one assuming typical condition of the un-shown components I mentioned.

The whitewall tires are positively horrible.
Whitewalls are the original tires... I have left everything as found ... this is not a car i would normally seek out to buy... that being said, i joined this group to gain valuable information from those that know these cars the best so that I can make an informed business decision. I do appreciate any input, however it comes...
Old 10-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

My grandma just went through selling hers, she was the original owner. 85 Camaro, 2.8L, auto, T tops, A/C, 55K miles. That was about it. Exterior was exceptional, interior was spotless, had a couple blown speakers and the tape deck ate tapes. Was gone over by a couple of appriasers who told her start at $5000. She ended up getting $3000. The issue with these cars is most people don't want to shell out a bunch of money for a V6 in good condition. You have to hold out for a long time to find the right person or understand what it really is and take a low price for it.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Hopefully this isn't an insult, but you will probably get around $2500 in it's current condition, and possibly a little more if the AC worked, but probably not enough to cover the cost of the repair itself.

The issues you have going is that it's the base car, with the base interior, crank windows and the original tires. New tires are a necessity, but again, probably won't get your money back on the purchase.

I agree with the others that it's a good starting point for someone looking to build the car into a V8 cruiser. Unfortunately, there isn't much market for a 33 year old base model V6 car.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

What a cool little car! Personally, I love the Rally wheels and whitewall look.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by chazman
What a cool little car! Personally, I love the Rally wheels and whitewall look.
Thanks... I think its a cool car too! Lol Im finding that its not worth much to anyone but I do like driving it... brings you back a bit ... I think Ill clean it buff it and list it at this point... I appreciate your feedback!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Hopefully this isn't an insult, but you will probably get around $2500 in it's current condition, and possibly a little more if the AC worked, but probably not enough to cover the cost of the repair itself.

The issues you have going is that it's the base car, with the base interior, crank windows and the original tires. New tires are a necessity, but again, probably won't get your money back on the purchase.

I agree with the others that it's a good starting point for someone looking to build the car into a V8 cruiser. Unfortunately, there isn't much market for a 33 year old base model V6 car.
Not insulted... Ive received some excellent feedback... at this point looks like I cut my losses or dress it up the way I want it and drive it... No biggie.. I didnt take a second mortgage for it or anything but nonetheless.. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

Cool lil car imo but cool doesn't always sell quickly. Clean that thing up a lil, post it on Craigslist or something like that and drive it on the weekends till it sells. I've sold some very undesirable cars for more money than I would have ever dreamed of getting and I've sit on some popular cars for months on end and barely broke even. The right person at the right time is what it's gonna take. Enjoy it till then.