Nice car, but a little pricey... - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Nice car, but a little pricey...

Old 10-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Nice car, but a little pricey...

I'd knock 4 grand off for the floor mats...https://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/d/iroc-z28-camaro/6713472004.html
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Nice car, but a little pricey...

Old 10-06-2018, 09:54 PM

Ahhhhhh if it only had the right wheels...
Old 10-06-2018, 10:29 PM

What makes this over priced? It looks to be a clean car and has the TPI and TTOPs, custom cloth interior, god looking paint and miles that aren't out of line for a 30 year old car. We as a community need to stop under valuing these cars or we'll never get quality reproduction parts. Who in their right mind would create quality resto parts for cars worth only a couple thousand dollars?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Very nice car... For 9k. Not 14.5 come on now.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:34 AM
Supreme Member

Considering that most of what it needs is De-Betty De-Booped, and the armrests glued, and a wheel change.... I don't know that it's all that overpriced. It looks good, better than a lot of them you see. It's not really to my tastes but a person could spend a lot more, making some of the PsOS that have been posted here lately, look as good.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Supreme Member

Itís not ridiculously overpriced..

Iíd say $11k-$12k is fair.. wouldnít take much to spruce it back up like Drew said, but Iíd want to get good reproduction wheels or get a set of original wheels and get them redone, so would have to take a few bucks off for that.. Miles arenít that low but not 150k Miles either..

Itís not a POS, but also nothing really special..

The market is really moving up since I got my Vert! If that brings us better reproduction parts so be it!
Old 10-07-2018, 07:30 AM

The market isn't going to move up on the nicer cars because of comments seen here. Why manufacture quality parts for cheap cars. If the masses are only interested in keeping the car value down, then they won't be interested in buying quality parts at the right price. I'm not saying that we should be paying $130 for a windshield washer bottle that used to cost $15 new, but if you guys keep announcing to the world that nice cars are over priced, the after market will just say "screw 'em!"

It's been discussed many times that the IROC-Z was the most in-demand car of the 80's. If that's the case, why aren't the parts suppliers making repro parts for the generation of drivers that wanted that car? I really don't understand why there are so many comments on this forum about everybody's asking price being so high.

I have seen some of these cars sell for prices that members on this board would balk at. My neighbor sold his repainted '89 IROC-Z, with 2.77 gearing and 38k miles for $22k. Another friend sold his less-than-1000-miles 1987 IROC-Z for over $30k. We need to stop cutting the prices so we can get even simple parts like the fuel tank vent valve, reproduced.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
What makes this over priced? It looks to be a clean car and has the TPI and TTOPs, custom cloth interior, god looking paint and miles that aren't out of line for a 30 year old car. We as a community need to stop under valuing these cars or we'll never get quality reproduction parts. Who in their right mind would create quality resto parts for cars worth only a couple thousand dollars?
I agree Scott - I've been saying this for a while - the biggest group of people trying to de-value these cars are right here on this forum.
It blows my mind - as all of us own these cars, I would think it would be the opposite and we as a group would do everything we can
to increase the value of our cars - it's really crazy!.....Come on guys, get with the program !!! We need to drive values up - not down
Old 10-07-2018, 08:37 AM

I think people are to attuned to buying 100k+ cars for 3k that need paint and interior work.. When its all said and done your gonna be well over the 10k mark for the car you wanted. So you have two options. 1, buy a car with around 100k that's maybe in decent shape and spend 10k on restoring it. 2, pay 12k+ for something already restored. People will continue to devalue nice cars because they themselves don't realize the amount of money it takes to restore one of these cars.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

You’re right Scott.. It’s not a bad thing when you buy a thirdgen and then they’re going for double the price you paid.. If you had wanted to get another one it’s hard to justify when 4 years ago the price was half of what you paid for a nicer car. It’s a good thing, but now it takes more than some extra cash savings to grab one..

It is true that the restoration parts will never step up until the cars appreciate more. I would pay a premium for better parts..

I just see all all the ones I’d want to buy going for $25k-$30k and can’t justify it..
Old 10-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Cool car and all, but definitely a repaint and missing the the TUNED PORT INJECTION emblem and unobtanium door moldings. The wheels are a turnoff for me as well.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM

Right on the $$$ Scott! I have been saying for a while now that the mentality that these are all $2500 cars has to change. There was a guy on here selling his car not too long ago. He was ridiculed on this board for what he was asking. It was a red RS. It was in great shape and he wanted around $5500. I think he ended up holding out and putting aside the comments on how his car was worth 1/2 of what he wanted. When I followed the thread I really felt bad for the seller with some of the comments about his car. Scott you are right, it kinda made US look bad in my eyes. We Should all be embracing the fact that these cars are the next in line for the collector market and be proud to own one. Try to erase the stigma that followed these cars and appreciate what this generation of Camaros and Birds are all about.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Hey, I'm with you guys regarding value of our cars. The question is if a repainted, 70K mile, peanut cam, '88 IROC which needs wheels is worth $14,500? Not a crazy asking price, but it will sell for 9-10K.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM

We all want to buy low and sell high, but life doesn't always work that way. I think of the housing market as similar to the automotive market. Most people want to own a home, but due to cost, many can't buy. That doesn't change the housing market so that everyone can have one.

With these cars, what makes it a requirement that they should all be priced so that anybody can have one if they want one? I have wanted a 70 Chevelle SS LS6 for many years, but their prices are out of my range, so I continue to dream. I have also wanted a 71 Hemi Cuda, but again, the price is beyond my justification, so I don't have one. If the 3rd gens increase in value to the point that only the people that can afford to fix/restore them, can afford to buy them, we will have quality parts manufactured. Since these cars are still selling for under $5k for somewhat clean cars (Abubaca's next car), we will have owners that can't afford to properly fix the cars and will continue driving them into the ground and their values into the ground.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by chazman View Post
Hey, I'm with you guys regarding value of our cars. The question is if a repainted, 70K mile, peanut cam, '88 IROC which needs wheels is worth $14,500? Not a crazy asking price, but it will sell for 9-10K.
You tell me! Is this 1969 Z28 worth a starting price of $19,900?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevro...Jbplzw&vxp=mtr

Or this 73 Z28, with a reserve not met at $13,500, that needs paint, and has a GTO engine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevro...BbDrJn&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails Nice car, but a little pricey...-69.jpg   Nice car, but a little pricey...-692.jpg   Nice car, but a little pricey...-731.jpg   Nice car, but a little pricey...-73.jpg  

Last edited by scottmoyer; 10-07-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 AM

In seeing the post above there is no comparison in my book. I would give this guy 12K for his third gen camaro. The only original thing on this 69z is the vin#! I am just going by the pics.... the 69 is a 20k POS...Repaint, peanut cam, not original wheels... a 12k bargin...Which would you buy?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Last edited by chazman; 10-07-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: double post
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

You tell me! Is this 1969 Z28 worth a starting price of $19,900?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevro...Jbplzw&vxp=mtr

Or this 73 Z28, with a reserve not met at $13,500, that needs paint, and has a GTO engine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevro...BbDrJn&vxp=mtr
Scott, not to me they're not.

Perhaps someone will pay whatever for the '69 if it's racing heritage can be proven. Like many, I have my bucket list, '70 AAR 'Cuda, 70 1/2 Z28, various 2nd gen Trans Ams, but those cars have moved beyond me in price and I know I'll never own one and have moved on.

I totally agree with you and everyone else on the value of our cars and the need for CORRECT parts. But we are talking about this particular car. Nice car, but not remarkable. It's a run of the mill, repainted, 71K mile, IROC, which needs a few things, including replacement of it's gross wheels.

If it were a magnificently preserved, original paint car, it would be much more attractive to me.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM

If it were a magnificently preserved, original paint car, it would be much more attractive to me.

You are right Chaz and I think the car would be more appealing to more people if it was all there and most would be willing to pay a higher price if this was the case with this car. My point is I think our cars are on the verge of these nice examples of well maintained (and not optioned fully) 3rd gens are started to command more $. WE as a 3rd gen community need to realize this. I am not sure why we don't see this coming.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:49 AM

If THIS car met your expectations of magnificently preserved, original paint, and was presented better, with the original wheels, they would be asking even more. How many are we seeing in the $20k range now? And as they pop up, people say that the $20k asking price is only worth about $10k in their eyes. The collector car dealers are asking top dollar and they seem to be the only ones getting it. BTW, a set of replacement wheels can be had for $600-$800 dollars. They might not be exact to the originals because of the gloss clear, but for an enjoyable driver, they fit the bill.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

If THIS car met your expectations of magnificently preserved, original paint, and was presented better, with the original wheels, they would be asking even more. How many are we seeing in the $20k range now? And as they pop up, people say that the $20k asking price is only worth about $10k in their eyes. The collector car dealers are asking top dollar and they seem to be the only ones getting it. BTW, a set of replacement wheels can be had for $600-$800 dollars. They might not be exact to the originals because of the gloss clear, but for an enjoyable driver, they fit the bill.
Sure, dealers are really marking these cars up with high asking prices. They typically market and present them better than you might see an owner do on CL, so they usually get a few more thousand dollars for them.

But THIS car, even in well preserved and original condition, still has over 70,000 miles, a peanut cam LB9, single exhaust, auto trans, 2.73 rear and disc/drums. No arguments about it being a cool car, but certainly not a top tier 3rd gen. Getting "all the money" for it requires a great, even impeccable presentation, 5 speed LB9 or L98, G92, lower miles, etc.

Would I buy this particular car for $14,500? I can honestly say that I would not. By the time I'd add up new wheels, emblems, door moldings, (good luck at any price on those), signal lamps and assuming great paint which doesn't need any correction, (remember...when you assume), it just wouldn't make sense for me at that price. For someone less particular who is just looking for a nice driver? Different story.

Last edited by chazman; 10-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM

I agree - there are lots of original, low mile 3rd gens out there, that dont need restoration - they are ready to drive/show right away - I know, I just sold one.
I ended up taking less then I was hoping for in order to get the garage space back that I needed - good cars for great deals are out there - I know, I just sold one and the buyer did get a good deal.
I've always purchased low mile originals in show ready condition - most guys dont understand, if you can put out the money for one of those types of cars your
FAR ahead in the end VS a full restoration, and the original car will always be worth more $$ then the restored car.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

I totally agree that you come out ahead paying a lil more for a nice car to begin with. I wish now I would have found one in better shape and with more desirable options because I'm gonna wind up with a fortune in mine getting it to that point. When and if I do ever pay "top dollar" for a third gen though it would have to be an HO or TPI 5spd or at least a 5.7 car. Those cars are the 14.5k cars that's all I was trying to say. BlizJetTechs car was definitely one of those cars that I wouldn't blink to pay a premium price for. I thought it was a 14k car all day long.

Last edited by dmccain; 10-07-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain View Post
I totally agree that you come out ahead paying a lil more for a nice car to begin with. I wish now I would have found one in better shape and with more desirable options because I'm gonna wind up with a fortune in mine getting it to that point. When and if I do ever pay "top dollar" for a third gen though it would have to be an HO or TPI 5spd or at least a 5.7 car. Those cars are the 14.5k cars that's all I was trying to say. BlizJetTechs car was definitely one of those cars that I wouldn't blink to pay a premium price for. I thought it was a 14k car all day long.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

So, I contacted the seller. Factory wheels go with the car and paint is 5 years old.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

That car is overpriced. I'd say from the pictures it's in good condition and from the pictures alone I agree with dmccain at $9,000 neighborhood. Buuuut did anybody else notice the engine was shut off at just a hair below 3K RPM? Why? Or is the tach broken/stuck? From the pictures you can see the wheels are aftermarket, the dash pad needs replaced, the dash has a huge crack and needs replaced, the armrests need glued back together. I'm guessing that the reason that a 30 year old "leather" wrapped/sewn steering wheel has a cheap autozone steering wheel cover on it is because the wheel needs re-wrapped. And why are there 6 air fresheners in the car? Could there be an issue with mold or a leaking heater core? I bet you go for a drive and look under the car and you find a few other items like 30 year old rotted suspension joints.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

I do think there has been a recent and sharp price bump in these cars. Maybe a decent driver with higher miles that was pretty much original but could still clean up nice and would be a show car with a good repaint and some odds and ends used to be in the $8-10k range 3-5 years ago. Now it’s in the $12-15k range

and maybe a low mile original car with mint interior that was $12-15k years ago is now in the $20-25k range.. Even more through a dealer.

Its uncomfortable because it’s literally like all your friends buying this great stock investment, or Bitcoin and a really low price and almost overnight you’re too late to invest.. You’re response is that “it’s overpriced” but if it’s selling for that, then it’s not.. It’s hard to adjust to sudden price hikes..

There are still good deals but I do think the dealers asking $25-40k for low mile cars have moved all the prices up. It’s not a bad thing if you already own one (or many..)

I would have a hard time paying more for a car in worse condition than my Vert, but that’s what’s coming down the line, and pretty fast. This car doesn’t have anything that interests me. At least they have the original wheels (which would have to probably be refinished)

Makes me think that car Abubaca is looking at is a good deal.. You could get that car nicer than this one and still break even.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Haven't been here in a while, log on, first thread I see, someone bitchin' about prices. **** never changes.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ View Post

Makes me think that car Abubaca is looking at is a good deal.. You could get that car nicer than this one and still break even.

It does indeed.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

I'm all for a top notch lower mileage third gens bringing good money. They are worth it and I'm glad they are finally getting some respective value. At the same time when I start seeing average cars commanding 14.5k... I'm glad we can still buy decent cars at 5-6k though because at those prices the average guy can still buy them. When average cars reach the prices this car is at i would have to look at another platform and I hate to see that day come.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Haven't been here in a while, log on, first thread I see, someone bitchin' about prices. **** never changes.

No one is bitching. I think we are having a nice conversation.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Honestly, I really don’t want third gens to just turn into 30k plus cars. Because if that happens they will move out of my price range and the vast majority of enthusiasts. There are so few fun affordable cars left that I can still afford as a secondary fun car.

I dont want my car to turn into an investment account that needs to be managed or some damn museum piece that’s to expensive to drive because it will devalue it.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

No one is bitching. I think we are having a nice conversation.
It was a bit tongue in cheek, the larger picture here being that it's yet another thread with the usual overarching theme of thirdgens being overpriced. Rinse and repeat.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Vanguard has financing!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

The habit we get into is over-appreciating garbage like that car in another thread with shot paint and the gashed quarter. People talk about saving a car like that, when a car like the one in this thread makes a lot more sense. Somewhere in the middle things would make more sense. But right now, a great deal can still be had while some sell for stupid prices. It'll normalize eventually, and there won't be any good deals.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The habit we get into is over-appreciating garbage like that car in another thread with shot paint and the gashed quarter. People talk about saving a car like that, when a car like the one in this thread makes a lot more sense. Somewhere in the middle things would make more sense. But right now, a great deal can still be had while some sell for stupid prices. It'll normalize eventually, and there won't be any good deals.
All Truth..

But if you could get that 50k mile Vert in flame red with a stick and decal delete for $4500 it would be a way cooler car than this one.. I havenít seen a flame Vert stickshift with TPI come up for sale in nearly a decade.. That car has some pedigree, this one is just another red IROC.. That quarter wouldnít add that much on to the repaint bill..

Inventory is everything in pricing.. This identical red IROC will come up many times/year for sale. I think itís worth saving a car that wonít pop up again if the price is right.. Iím more interested in the vert.. I do think $7k it too high given the presentation and what it needs. I just found the car to be interesting, and sad someone let it go like that..
Old 10-07-2018, 04:29 PM

Hey Puma. Welcome back!
Old 10-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Supreme Member

Yes Puma, nice to hear from you again!
Old 10-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Puma. Welcome back!
thank you sir
Old 10-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

But if you could get that 50k mile Vert in flame red with a stick and decal delete for $4500
You're kidding right? That other car might have a vicious 50k miles of being beat to death and treated like crap, or the odometer has flipped at least once, it's completely trashed, wrecked, and looks like it sat out in the weather with the windows or top down... And it's not $4500, it's "$6,950 firm firm".

The car in this thread is an auto, and it's a more vanilla color, but it's a T-top and it actually looks better than it's mileage instead of the other way around. It doesn't need paint, or interior, or a top, or body work. That $7,500 price difference doesn't last long when you're talking about correcting those problems. We're also talking about a car that clearly runs and drives vs one that's been sitting in storage. Maintained vs neglected.

A lot of people don't care for convertibles, or 305s, most don't associate greater value with an iconic decal delete... The 5spd is debatable. The T5 is kinda garbage. It's more of a problem if it's been abused and neglected. Much easier to rebuild a 700r4 or find another to build. Don't confuse what YOU like and look for, with what the mass market likes.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:29 AM

You're kidding right? That other car might have a vicious 50k miles of being beat to death and treated like crap, or the odometer has flipped at least once, it's completely trashed, wrecked, and looks like it sat out in the weather with the windows or top down... And it's not $4500, it's "$6,950 firm firm".

The car in this thread is an auto, and it's a more vanilla color, but it's a T-top and it actually looks better than it's mileage instead of the other way around. It doesn't need paint, or interior, or a top, or body work. That $7,500 price difference doesn't last long when you're talking about correcting those problems. We're also talking about a car that clearly runs and drives vs one that's been sitting in storage. Maintained vs neglected.

A lot of people don't care for convertibles, or 305s, most don't associate greater value with an iconic decal delete... The 5spd is debatable. The T5 is kinda garbage. It's more of a problem if it's been abused and neglected. Much easier to rebuild a 700r4 or find another to build. Don't confuse what YOU like and look for, with what the mass market likes.
These 3 cars we are talking about are all great examples of where we are with our car values. Let's just talk asking price as we have no way of finding out the exact selling price. The one in this thread is basically turn key, yes it needs some correction but can be driven and looks nice enough to take to cruise ins. May not be optioned as you like.The vert that needs saving is a mess, yes it is a low production vert with a 5 speed that needs a lot and you will probably end up with more into it than this one in this thread. The blue one Abubuca is looking at it is worth the 5k and I would just give him the asking price. It has it's issues but to me it looks really nice at first glance and is a desirable blue metallic color. If someone put a gun to your head and you had to buy one which would it be?
My take on this is that this is a good time to be into 3rd gens as the costs seam to still be inline with this being an affordable car hobby on weather you want a driver, a fixer upper, or something show ready, either way I think 15k on the high end for a show ready car(local shows) and 5k for something nice that you can look good in driving while you are working on it. It just a matter of what YOU want out of these cars.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

The 5spd is debatable. The T5 is kinda garbage. It's more of a problem if it's been abused and neglected. Much easier to rebuild a 700r4 or find another to build.
I'm usually in on the same page as you Drew but gotta disagree here. Stick shift thirdgens always bring a premium. The T5 isn't garbage IMO, frankly the 700R4 is. T5s break when they are relentlessly abused, 700R4s break just because. I've rebuilt both and I'll submit that a T5 is WAY easier to rebuild than a 700R4 is, and you can bench test a T5. I've installed 2 rebuilt 700R4s (one done by me with help, one professionally done) only to find out they were still messed up and had to pull them back out again. These cars shouldn't have automatics in the first place, but that's another soap box for another day.

Not that I'm defending the convertible either. The stripe delete and stick shift are negated when you have to replace an entire quarter panel on an already neglected car.

I'll submit that many of you here are like me. I've had thirdgens since 1997, when they were plentiful in junkyards, and you could buy a creampuff 1LE for $10k. I had an IROC because I couldn't afford anything else. Although my socioeconomic status has changed, I was raised lower income blue collar, and often still revert to that approach when it comes to discretionary income. Admittedly it has been tough for me to adjust to the prices of some of these cars. I'm not here to agree or disagree with the prices cars bring these days, the market gets to do that. But I will admit some of these prices have startled me, especially if people are actually paying them, but again, the market gets to decide. Also a double standard in my own approach, I'm willing to pay decent money for good replacement parts, but I get pretty critical of entire cars priced out of what I'm accustomed to seeing 5 years ago.

Whether anyone here agrees or not, I think the market is going up. Look at all the higher end nice thirdgens on Instagram for example, follow Hawks and see some of the high end thirdgens they are working on. People are willing to invest in these cars now, even if its taking a low class guy like me a while to get used to the idea.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

When a seller says ďFIRMĒ thereís always room, especially if they have a hard time selling. I am a vulture car buyer. Circle and swoop when the time is right or move on to the next spot. I got $5k off my Tahoe from a dealer who has a no haggle policy. My IROC was also a ďFIRMĒ price that I knocked down by a lot. Sometimes thatís what happens when a seller sits on a high asking price for a long time.

I did say that ďIĒ found the convertible more interesting than the red t-top car. A lot of people donít care for convertibles, but the market definitely does and they are a small, single digit percentage of production. I donít love the stripe delete, but it is another uncommon thing that would be a conversation piece you could point out on the window sticker at shows. The 5 speed on top of these options is something people want that is not common with these cars. Everyone wants to know if the car is a stick. First question is ď350?Ē And second is, ďIs it a stick?Ē

Iíd have to see the car in person to see how bad it really is. It could be a car that was babied and got neglected by the owner when he/she got older. These cars do take a little beating anyway. If itís bone stock under the hood Iíd assume itís an older person that couldnít keep up with taking care of it. I saw a 72 Ford LTD convertible that was a parade car and sat outside for 6 years because the people were older and lost their garage space (and it looks worse than the flame Vert.) Maybe they are firm on the price because someone recognized they should bring this car inside and help this old person sell it.. It might run and drive fine. Hey, my dad scraped his BMW into the garage because heís getting older and doesnít care about cars.. paint got dull because it was never washed and waxed in its life and had 180k on it.. Ran great though.. he had a good mechanic and always brought it in for service.

If it was clearly beat to hell, the interior needed full replacement, all rusty underneath and they wouldnít budge on price Iíd walk.

If you (Drew) donít think that Vert in the same condition as this red car would sell for more money and faster, thatís where we may have a disagreement. I also think both cars being properly restored, the flame Vert 5-speed will appreciate more going forward. I think the people that will start paying a premium to have an extra ďclassic carĒ want options like that to make the experience different from their daily driver. People generally want a sedan, an SUV and a convertible. Iím not talking about you guys here, but more the people that will start paying these premium prices. We donít really know just how bad that Vert is.. Iím trying to be optimistic based on the rare options of the car and Drew thinks itís as bad as bad gets (which could be true)..

The fact that the seller never got back to chazman bothers me the most about that car.. I may give it a go.

Meanwhile this deal is getting better after a couple price drops:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Chevro...oAAOSwH~RbrG2u

Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

I'm with 88IROC, that '89 5 speed vert tickles my fancy more than this car does.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Supreme Member

The fact that the seller never got back to chazman bothers me the most about that car.. I may give it a go.

Also, keep in mind that ad is 2 months old. The car could have already sold. Give the guy a call, though. I'd be interested to see what you find. I'm not in a position to add any cars at this point, unless I sold the Mustang.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Apologies in advance, because I'm suffering from thirdgen burnout and really just don't have the energy to read through a wall of text on the subject, at the moment... So don't take the hit and run brevity as a slight...

Even restored the convertible will always be a convertible. I like convertible thirdgens, but a lot of people don't. Especially when that convertible is a "performance car" since it adds dead weight, and a flexy flyer chassis that costs performance. Considering that in general thirdgen convertibles didn't get the performance options that hardtop/t-top cars could, you're already dealing with a handicap.

Re: Flame Red vs Bright Red, I too would choose the metallic. But the market probably doesn't care, and definitely will lean to the car that's in better condition. When you take into account that the market is hella-strong for "Irocs", I'd argue strongly that the car that represents that iconic status (BRIGHT RED, WITH SCREAMING IROCZ DECALS DOWN THE DOORS AND IROCZ STRIPES) is going to attract the "Oh ****! It's an IROC!" crowd, that the faded brown, POS RS Convertible with Iroc wheels is going to repel like a Johnny On The Job on a 108* day. Restore that flame red convertible and things might change, but you'd be POURING money into the pit on the off chance that it will potentially resale for what the same car would bring, had it never been abused.

That other car is covered in red flags. Every photo shows body damage, rust, paint that isn't going to "Buff out", mold, evidence of being a barnyard wreck... The car in this thread is obviously LOVED. It doesn't bank on "what if" or untapped potential, it is what it is NOW. You can buy into fantasy or reality.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Apologies in advance, because I'm suffering from thirdgen burnout and really just don't have the energy to read through a wall of text on the subject, at the moment... So don't take the hit and run brevity as a slight...

Even restored the convertible will always be a convertible. I like convertible thirdgens, but a lot of people don't. Especially when that convertible is a "performance car" since it adds dead weight, and a flexy flyer chassis that costs performance. Considering that in general thirdgen convertibles didn't get the performance options that hardtop/t-top cars could, you're already dealing with a handicap.

Re: Flame Red vs Bright Red, I too would choose the metallic. But the market probably doesn't care, and definitely will lean to the car that's in better condition. When you take into account that the market is hella-strong for "Irocs", I'd argue strongly that the car that represents that iconic status (BRIGHT RED, WITH SCREAMING IROCZ DECALS DOWN THE DOORS AND IROCZ STRIPES) is going to attract the "Oh ****! It's an IROC!" crowd, that the faded brown, POS RS Convertible with Iroc wheels is going to repel like a Johnny On The Job on a 108* day. Restore that flame red convertible and things might change, but you'd be POURING money into the pit on the off chance that it will potentially resale for what the same car would bring, had it never been abused.

That other car is covered in red flags. Every photo shows body damage, rust, paint that isn't going to "Buff out", mold, evidence of being a barnyard wreck... The car in this thread is obviously LOVED. It doesn't bank on "what if" or untapped potential, it is what it is NOW. You can buy into fantasy or reality.
I think what you have identified is the "take this for what it is or take that that for what it could be", phenomenon.

BTW, the 'vert is more than an RS with IROC wheels, it includes the full FE2 suspension, including Wonderbar and rear Bilstiens and has an L98 cammed LB9. The crunched quarter is a problem best left to a professional, but I'd much rather have that, than this milk toast car for more than double the price.

Last edited by chazman; 10-08-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

BTW, the 'vert is more than an RS with IROC wheels
Not to the average Hawaiian shirt clad, car collectin', trust fund speculatin' moron - it's not. To your average oblivious dipshit that doesn't worship at the alter of Our Lady of the Regular Production Order, DX3 is like a Fox Mustang without "5 . 0" emblazoned upon the fender. Not even worth a second look.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Not to the average Hawaiian shirt clad, car collectin', trust fund speculatin' moron - it's not. To your average oblivious dipshit that doesn't worship at the alter of Our Lady of the Regular Production Order, DX3 is like a Fox Mustang without "5 . 0" emblazoned upon the fender. Not even worth a second look.

I hear you, most people think my black IROC is an RS or "police package".