History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

What's your story? Who actually remembers when these cars were new?

Old 01-05-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 373 Limited Slip
Re: What's your story? Who actually remembers when these cars were new?

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Yeah, I'm over 50
I was 23 in 1985 and ordered a new 85 Bright Blue Metallic T/A. LOVED that car. I kept it for 3 years and then bought a new 88 GTA that I still own.

1988 GTA delivery March 17 1988, Valencia, Ca.
I love the TA in bright blue!
Old 01-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

There have been a few threads like this in the past, where my story has already been told, as I think most of ours have been, but since a fresh thread has been created, why not do it again, right?

Late winter 1982, Indy, melting snow on the ground, I saw a new Z28 on the road. I had no idea what it was, but I had to have one, so I searched and learned it was the new Camaro. I soon ordered one, 1982 Z28, black w/silver, T-tops. LG4/auto. There's a pic somewhere on TGO, parked in front of my (parents') home. Everyone did the "Linda Blair" when passing-by, especially at drive-ins. Drive-in movie theaters were on their way out, but it seemed that this "revival" of the auto industry breathed new life into drive-ins, if only for a year or two, after which they pretty much disappeared. But what fun it was to go to drive-ins in my new 1982 Z28! Most young people, today, will never know how fun drive-ins were. Glad I was there.

In early 1983, "Car and Driver" published the soon-to-be-released Z28 HO L69/5-speed. Again, I had to have one! So I went dealer-to-dealer, and none claimed to know about it. Finally found a woman interested in selling me the car I wanted, and she discovered it was for real, but it hadn't been released for production yet. So we wrote-up an order, and it was placed in mid-April, a black w/charcoal Z28 with T-tops. Nearly three months later, July 10, 1983, it arrived. Most people didn't even know I had a different car. There's a pic of it somewhere on TGO, parked at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in 1984. Took it up to 125mph on a wide open stretch of interstate in AZ during that trip. Speed limit was 55. It was cool, until I began to overtake traffic; scary passing moving cars like they were parked, so I coasted back down to earth. A fun thing to do in the boring Indy on the weekends was "cruising" the Southside, so that became my weekend life with this car. Met a guy with a 1984 15th Anniversary Trans Am, and wherever we'd park, people gathered to look at our cars. He eventually made the mistake of driving his cross-country and into Mexico. He came back, but his TA did not.

But my love affair came to an abrupt end in May, 1986, when my 83 was stolen and never recovered. I lived in Cincinnati, and my neighbor had a Mustang GT. Ironically, he worked at the Norwood facility. His car always woke me up around 5:30 every morning. So this morning began like all of the others; I heard his car start-up and drive away. Then while I was getting ready for work, I looked outside, and my car was gone, but his was still home. So I heard my own car start-up and drive away! About a month later, I got a private tour of the Norwood facility, where I learned that the 5-seed would be hooked-up to the TPI engine for 1987, so I waited...

Then in the fall of 1986, I went to a dealer in the Cincinnati area, and I ordered a 1987 IROC-Z, dark red metallic, TPI/5-speed, T-tops, grey leather interior, Bose sound system. Shortly afterward, I found myself packing-up to move to the Chicago area, so the dealer gave me back my deposit; he had no fear of having it on his lot. So someone got themselves a customer-ordered IROC of that description from a Cincinnati area Chevy dealer, maybe even someone currently on TGO. You're welcome!

In Chicago, my new employer's friend owned a BMW/Pontiac dealership, so instead of an IROC, I ordered a 1987 Formula, black, of course, T-tops, TPI/5-speed, in October, 1986. The sales people didn't deal in Pontiacs much, mostly BMWs, and Pontiac's order sheet seemed to contain a lot of ambiguities, regarding certain options with other options, so I had to phone Michigan myself to get it all clarified. I was right, the dealer placed the order, and I got my Formula, exactly as I wanted it. And tomorrow will be 32 years to the day that I took delivery of it, January 6, 1987, and I still have it.

But even by then, into the generation's 6th model year, these cars were still regarded as some of the hottest on the road! It definitely was an exciting time!
Old 01-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
There have been a few threads like this in the past, where my story has already been told, as I think most of ours have been, but since a fresh thread has been created, why not do it again, right?

Late winter 1982, Indy, melting snow on the ground, I saw a new Z28 on the road. I had no idea what it was, but I had to have one, so I searched and learned it was the new Camaro. I soon ordered one, 1982 Z28, black w/silver, T-tops. LG4/auto. There's a pic somewhere on TGO, parked in front of my (parents') home. Everyone did the "Linda Blair" when passing-by, especially at drive-ins. Drive-in movie theaters were on their way out, but it seemed that this "revival" of the auto industry breathed new life into drive-ins, if only for a year or two, after which they pretty much disappeared. But what fun it was to go to drive-ins in my new 1982 Z28! Most young people, today, will never know how fun drive-ins were. Glad I was there.

In early 1983, "Car and Driver" published the soon-to-be-released Z28 HO L69/5-speed. Again, I had to have one! So I went dealer-to-dealer, and none claimed to know about it. Finally found a woman interested in selling me the car I wanted, and she discovered it was for real, but it hadn't been released for production yet. So we wrote-up an order, and it was placed in mid-April, a black w/charcoal Z28 with T-tops. Nearly three months later, July 10, 1983, it arrived. Most people didn't even know I had a different car. There's a pic of it somewhere on TGO, parked at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in 1984. Took it up to 125mph on a wide open stretch of interstate in AZ during that trip. Speed limit was 55. It was cool, until I began to overtake traffic; scary passing moving cars like they were parked, so I coasted back down to earth. A fun thing to do in the boring Indy on the weekends was "cruising" the Southside, so that became my weekend life with this car. Met a guy with a 1984 15th Anniversary Trans Am, and wherever we'd park, people gathered to look at our cars. He eventually made the mistake of driving his cross-country and into Mexico. He came back, but his TA did not.

But my love affair came to an abrupt end in May, 1986, when my 83 was stolen and never recovered. I lived in Cincinnati, and my neighbor had a Mustang GT. Ironically, he worked at the Norwood facility. His car always woke me up around 5:30 every morning. So this morning began like all of the others; I heard his car start-up and drive away. Then while I was getting ready for work, I looked outside, and my car was gone, but his was still home. So I heard my own car start-up and drive away! About a month later, I got a private tour of the Norwood facility, where I learned that the 5-seed would be hooked-up to the TPI engine for 1987, so I waited...

Then in the fall of 1986, I went to a dealer in the Cincinnati area, and I ordered a 1987 IROC-Z, dark red metallic, TPI/5-speed, T-tops, grey leather interior, Bose sound system. Shortly afterward, I found myself packing-up to move to the Chicago area, so the dealer gave me back my deposit; he had no fear of having it on his lot. So someone got themselves a customer-ordered IROC of that description from a Cincinnati area Chevy dealer, maybe even someone currently on TGO. You're welcome!

In Chicago, my new employer's friend owned a BMW/Pontiac dealership, so instead of an IROC, I ordered a 1987 Formula, black, of course, T-tops, TPI/5-speed, in October, 1986. The sales people didn't deal in Pontiacs much, mostly BMWs, and Pontiac's order sheet seemed to contain a lot of ambiguities, regarding certain options with other options, so I had to phone Michigan myself to get it all clarified. I was right, the dealer placed the order, and I got my Formula, exactly as I wanted it. And tomorrow will be 32 years to the day that I took delivery of it, January 6, 1987, and I still have it.

But even by then, into the generation's 6th model year, these cars were still regarded as some of the hottest on the road! It definitely was an exciting time!
Awesome story !! I am envious of you guys that bought them new and KEPT them !!
I bought several new ones but did not keep them.....sure wish I did now !!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

In Chicago, my new employer's friend owned a BMW/Pontiac dealership,
Was the dealer, Perillo?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Originally Posted by chazman
Was the dealer, Perillo?
Yes
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Yes

The only BMW/Pontiac dealer I knew of.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
At CCO! What a cool photo. I'm saving a copy of that. Did you see my '92 at the sign out in front of CCO on Van Dyke?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...ml#post6264689
DynoDave43 here is scanned images for you.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by z28cop

Yep! Ill Post the build sheets when I get home from work in the morning.. Would be pretty cool if someone on here own one of them lol

Black 1985

Flame Red 1986
Old 01-06-2019, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by z28cop

Those are great z28cop. Thanks. I added them to my rotation of desktop backgrounds.

I always wondered what came of those stainless jumping fish form the cooling pond.

And the furniture from the Chevrolet General Managers office. A co-worked and I got to sneak in there after they had closed those offices up front. Pretty fun sitting in the Big Chair! Wish we'd have had cell phones with cameras back then.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Transmission: Auto

Posted in the wrong thread...so putting it here. Sorry.

"My Story" is I'm almost 50, grew up raised a fan of Firebirds. My father had a 67 when he was a kid, and now has a convertible 67 that is fully restored factory original, which he has shown for 30 years. I myself got my interest growing up in the 70's with, of course, Smokey and the Bandit. My first TA was a 1979, and I ended up with 2 of them as a teenager, making one nice car out of the 2. Sold that for a 1970 Dodge Challenger TA, which I never finished. Fresh out of high school I saw my first GTA at a local Pontiac dealer. It was a 1988 metallic red with a tan interior. I thought I was rich with all my graduation money, lol. Got a loan, bought the car. I thought I was pretty damn cool. Then in about 6 months the insurance bills and car payments caught up to me, lol. Had to sell the car and get practical. Finally now, 30 years later, I bought my current one on a whim and am enjoying fixing her up.

I've really enjoyed chatting with the folks I've met here and all of the help that's been offered, as far as information and parts. Looking forward to enjoying my car and getting to know more of you. Thanks,
PJ
Old 01-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro Z28 1LE- Z03
Transmission: 5spd

My uncle bought a 89 RS convertible new in late 88. I got to ride in it a few times over the years. In 1996 he decided to get a C4 convertible and asked my Dad if he was interested in buying it since I was about to get my license. He bought the car for me and I had it for about 7 years before I bought my 99 SS. I'm now on my 6th Camaro and 4th 3rd gen. My uncle has since moved on to buy a C5 convertible and a C6 convertible.

I really miss that car.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 5.7 T.B.I.

Man! I see a lot of spoiled kids on here! My first car was a POS 78' Firebird! But I do remember when these came out and own one that my best friend had back in the day and I still drive it every day! I've had it for about 10 years but it's an 89 and he got it in about 92 because he didn't like the new body style.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 5.0 L TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Bringing this thread back from mid-January. I've been a member of this forum for about six years. I've probably told my story on other threads as well, but it's so great to have a forum of people who love their third gens as much I do, so I hope you don't mind if I share my experience once again.
I cannot explain exactly why I've always been a Camaro fan, I just know that I have always been one. My dad had a '72 when I was a baby, but he got rid of it before I was old enough to remember it and have it as a reason for my fandom. There's just something about them - their stance, their styling, their appearance (to say nothing of their obvious performance) - that has always pulled me in. I grew up on the first and second generations.
When the third generation Camaros and Firebirds were introduced in 1982, I was a ten-year-old boy. I grew up in a relatively small town, so seeing these cars live and in person was not a common occurrence. In fact, the first time I laid eyes on a third gen of any kind was when I saw a picture of a "new" Camaro in a car magazine that my mom bought for me on a trip to the grocery store. When I saw that photo, I was spellbound. It was sleek and modern, while still looking muscular and "tough." I'm not trying to tell you that that is what ten-year-old me thought, but in retrospect, that's what I felt. Not long after that, a doctor in town picked up an '82 pace car. Whenever we would drive by his house, I would look out the window in the hopes that the Camaro was in the driveway that day and not in the garage. I decided that I wanted a Camaro one day.
As I grew older, I paid attention as much as I could, learning about trim additions and deletions, got pumped for whatever an "IROC" was, and continued my fandom. My dad is a Bowtie/GM lifer, so whenever he would go to the local Chevy dealer and look around, I would manage to bring home the latest Camaro showroom brochure and would then look at it repeatedly once I got it home. By the time I turned 16, the oldest third gens were only four years old, and I was so busy with school and activities that there was no way I could afford to get one at that time. I would have to wait.
I graduated from college in 1996, and my first order of business once I secured my first "real" job was to replace the '72 Chevy Cheyenne I had driven during my time in school. I immediately started looking for third gens. The newest third gens were four years old by that point, but my salary in my fresh-out-of-school job was a little light, and I found that I couldn't afford even an average third gen. By the time my salary improved enough to entertain the possibility, my wife and I had started our family, and a third gen Camaro would have been completely impractical.
About seven years or so ago, I started to get that itch for a third gen after having put it out of my mind for so long. I started to do some occasional online searches, searching up "1982-1992 Z28" in my search parameters, just to see what was out there for when I would start seriously looking. I was pleased to see that there were some in what I considered to be my eventual price range, even if they were less than perfect. In my mind, I would rather have had one that I could afford that needed some TLC than to not have one at all because I was priced out of one that didn't need work.
Six years ago this month, I came across a 1986 Z28 about an hour and a half from my house that was in my expected eventual price range. It was a bright, sunny early spring day, a nice day for a leisurely road trip, so I told my wife I was going to take the afternoon and drive up and check it out, just to have something to do. I took along my younger brother, who is a little bit more mechanically inclined than I, and we started off. Have you ever heard the expression, "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission"? Never had that statement been truer in my life than with what was about to happen.
When we arrived at the dealership and checked out the car, it had its issues: the steering wheel was completely wrong; the wheels, although five-spoke correct, were the wrong color; the radio was incorrect; and the paint was not right (painted solid red instead of sporting the silver paint on the ground effects that designated it as a Z28). However, the body was solid, the mileage was relatively low, and it ran well. Despite that, as I sat across from the salesman at his desk, I was getting ready to tell him "no" and walk away. This whole trip was supposed to have been for me to gain experience, to know what to look for when I *was* ready to start looking, etc. I am not making this up, or dramatizing this, but as I opened my mouth to say "no," the words that came out of my mouth were, "OK, let's do it." I couldn't believe the words I had just heard come out of my head. In the nanosecond between thinking and speaking, I had changed my mind. In retrospect, I think what happened was at that moment, I realized that that moment was the closest I had ever been to owning something I had wanted for 31 years, and I might never get the chance again if I didn't pull the trigger. We completed the transaction, and I drove my "new-to-me" Camaro home. I was absolutely in shock to be driving home "my" Camaro, but I knew that once I got home, I would have some 'splainin' to do, so that stayed on the outskirts of my mind.
After pulling into the driveway, I went inside and told my family to come outside. My kids, aged 14, 12, and 10 at the time, were excited beyond belief. My wife, however, was not. I'm not exaggerating, I was in the doghouse for a good month, or more. In time, she came around, and nowadays we enjoy popping the tops out in the summertime and going for ice cream, or just cruising around on nice evenings. My eldest daughter was selected to her high school's Homecoming court as a senior, and I transported her around the field of our high school's stadium in the Camaro, with her seated on the roof between the t-top opening and the hatch glass. Her boyfriend asked me if I could take her to her senior prom in it, and I said yes. I even let her drive it to school a couple times late in her senior year (tops out, of course). My son drove it to *his* senior prom, and he too got to drive it to school. While I am as protective of the car as I can be, I didn't want my kids to resent it or me by not allowing them to make their own memories in it. It's certainly not a museum piece, and if something were to happen to it when they were driving it, I would prefer it be now before I can get it fixed to where I want it to be.
I have to say, too, that this forum and its members have been invaluable as I learned about the Z28 that I own. Not long after I brought it home, I was perusing this site on my lunch break when one of the members here (I believe it was scottmoyer) informed me as to what RPO codes are and where to find them. Upon learning that "Z28" is actually a code to designate a Camaro as a Z28 and that a Z would most definitely coded as such, I sat in a panic for the rest of the day because there were enough issues with my car (wrong steering wheel, wrong rims, lower level radio, etc.) that it became clear that maybe a previous owner took a lower level Camaro and was making it into a Z28 clone. As soon as I got home that day I looked under the console lid and located the code sticker. "Z28" was one of the listed codes. I still couldn't completely relax, though, until I verified that the VIN on the sticker matched the one on the car itself. Thankfully, it did. Major bullet dodged. That is just one example of some of the help and information I've received since joining this site. It's also scary how little I knew when I went and bought the car that day.
I have thoroughly enjoyed recounting my lifelong obsession with third gens and how I got into mine. I hope I haven't bored you along the way. I must say, though, that I am now really looking forward to spring!

Side note: as I was thinking about all this, I was reminded of something that happened when I was in college. This was approximately 1994 or 1995. I was out running around one day, and a Chevrolet dealer I was driving past had a brand new hunter green Z28 sitting right out front. I turned around and went back and looked at it. Naturally, a salesman came out not long after. After I looked at it for a few minutes, he asked me if I wanted to drive it. I said that I did, and he took my license and went back inside to make a copy of it and to get a plate. As a 22-23 year old kid, I fully expected him to come with. That was fine with me, though, because I just wanted to drive it, and I really didn't care if he was with me or not. I sat in the driver's seat and waited for him to return. He came to the passenger side and motioned for me to put the window down. He said, "OK, you're all set. Have fun. Oh, and I haven't seen any cops go past here today," and then he grinned and walked away. I couldn't believe I was about to go drive this thing by myself! There was a long, straight stretch of road that had to be *at least* a mile long not far from the dealership, and so I headed in that direction. When I got to the straightaway, I mashed my foot to the floor and oh. my. gosh! I was up to 110 before I knew what happened, and it was absolutely exhilarating. To this day, I still cannot believe that salesman let me take that car out by myself!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

I bought my 1987 Camaro Iroc-Z28 new and still have it 32 years later. How many of the above Posts can make that

statement. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Last edited by DJP87Z28; 03-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI

Originally Posted by FinallyGotMyZ
I knew that once I got home, I would have some 'splainin' to do, so that stayed on the outskirts of my mind.
After pulling into the driveway, I went inside and told my family to come outside. My kids, aged 14, 12, and 10 at the time, were excited beyond belief. My wife, however, was not. I'm not exaggerating, I was in the doghouse for a good month, or more.
Same thing happened with me. Long story short, on an impulse i went on a Friday afternoon to look at a '86 IROC. I ended up buying it. Next day when I was with my wife, fiance at the time, I told her, "Oh by the way I bought a car last night." Needless to say, she wasn't happy.

Then a similar thing happened earlier this year. My brother had a '87 Monte SS, and decided he didn't want it anymore. So he called me up and asked if I wanted it. Sure, who would turn down a free car, a Monte SS to boot. Well, she wasn't thrilled to come home to another car in the driveway.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 482 Likes on 233 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird GTA
Engine: Motown Aluminum 427
Transmission: TH400/GVO
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 IRS 3.75:1

I was still a relatively innocent (naive) teenager in 1976, but when I saw a pic of the 77 on the front of a car magazine, I had to have one. So much fun! I was so young and free. Then in 81 when the 3rd gens appeared I loved that they looked so small, and decided to get one. A loaded 82 Trans Am that I ordered, I couldn't believe how the price changed between 76 and 81, it was almost a 4X difference. By then my life was complicated - by earlier standards - University, girls and alcohol..... I managed to sidestep any major problems but even though my life has changed dramatically, the 3rd gens have stayed a part of it. Probably will for the rest of it.... Many standout memories, that poor salesman that made the mistake of inviting me to "try it out" in an empty parking lot with a brand new 85 trans am with a 305 TPI.... It's a good thing for me he was in the back seat, I was persona non grata at that dealership forever..... , then racing them through the late 80's and early 90's. Then I had kids.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Last edited by Bob88GTA; 03-07-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by DJP87Z28
I bought my 1987 Camaro Iroc-Z28 new and still have it 32 years later. How many of the above Posts can make that

statement. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Me....see page 1
Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by Mikes86SC
Same thing happened with me. Long story short, on an impulse i went on a Friday afternoon to look at a '86 IROC. I ended up buying it. Next day when I was with my wife, fiance at the time, I told her, "Oh by the way I bought a car last night." Needless to say, she wasn't happy.

Then a similar thing happened earlier this year. My brother had a '87 Monte SS, and decided he didn't want it anymore. So he called me up and asked if I wanted it. Sure, who would turn down a free car, a Monte SS to boot. Well, she wasn't thrilled to come home to another car in the driveway.
Keep the cars - sell the wife!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Listen Mike, I'm gonna do you a HUGE favor. You know, for the sake of your marriage.

Send me the Monte Carlo SS. I'll even pay for shipping. That way, everything will be good at home. Yup, that's just the kind of guy I am.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

LIKE the above post.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Car: 90 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.54

I bought this base 87 Trans Am in 1991 from a customer where I worked - newest car I've ever owned til about 2 years ago (got a 15 Camaro that was stolen and stripped) and I just got my 87 back from my son
Old 03-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA T-Top / 2014 Mustang GT
Engine: 5L TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

What an awesome thread. I'm only 22 and looking at these pictures really makes me wish I could have grown up in the 70's/80's when insurance didn't cost me 300/month per car haha. It's cool to see how much people cherished these cars though, I have a newer Mustang and S4 that both drive beautifully and haul serious a**, yet I'm always 100x more excited to jump in my death trap GTA and go for a drive even knowing damn well that it'll probably be coming home on a flat bed. Unless it gets seriously wrecked, I doubt I'll ever be able to actually get rid of this car
Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by chazman
Listen Mike, I'm gonna do you a HUGE favor. You know, for the sake of your marriage.

Send me the Monte Carlo SS. I'll even pay for shipping. That way, everything will be good at home. Yup, that's just the kind of guy I am.
Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
Keep the cars - sell the wife!
She already knows I'm not selling the IROC after owning it for almost 17 years. The Monte unfortunately needs a little more work than I have the time and money for, especially with an upcoming move. I will most likely sell it.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 5.0 L TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

So glad I wasn't the only one to do that! And an IROC and Monte SS in the garage/driveway would certainly ease the sting of any trouble you may have found yourself in...
Old 03-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FinallyGotMyZ
So glad I wasn't the only one to do that! And an IROC and Monte SS in the garage/driveway would certainly ease the sting of any trouble you may have found yourself in...
It’s definitely cool having an F and a G body. Unfortunately though the Monte needs some work, and with hoping to move from NY to FL I’m short on the time and money it needs. I’ll most likely be selling it to fund the move.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 295 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

I remember way earlier than the 3rd gen Camaros. In '67, the year after I graduated high school, I was a GM mechanic at an Olds dealership. Worked on several '67 442 w30s, along with a seemingly never-ending line of Olds 98s. Some real stories from my short time there.

A year or so later, I moved to a Chevrolet dealership just down the road, and did a lot of work on Camaros, Chevelles and Corvettes. My '57 Chevy benefitted greatly from the easy availability of employee-discounted-cost parts, as did mine and my older brother's '56 Chevy M/P car, and a bit later, a M/Sport '61 Corvette.

After another year of dealer service department politics, I left for a job at a friend's independent shop, doing mostly hi-perf work on muscle/pony cars along with the occasional Corvette. We eventually had a falling-out over my logged work hours (IIRC), and I went to work on the other side of the parts counter at a local, national-chain auto parts company.

Drafted into the Army in '69; managed to make it back home in early '71. I was forced to sell my '57 when I got drafted, and when I came home, my brother had bought a really nice '67 Corvette coupe, 435/side pipes, and my plans to build a big-block Chevelle went out the window in favor of searching for a Vette of my own. A couple of weeks later, I found a nice '65 coupe that needed some work (another story goes with that one), and kept that car until I transferred away for a job promotion, again, being forced to sell a car I'd rather of held onto.

Years went by, life happened (another transfer, marriage, a child, a 180 degree career change), and I found myself completely out of hot rods and any semblance of hi-po cars. Around the early-mid '80s, a much younger friend of mine was struggling to get his '82 Corvette running after paying some hack big $$$ to build him an engine. At first, I declined his request for help, but soon relented, and found myself again back in the garage for something other than routine oil changes.

In 1986, I decided it was time to get rid of the econo-box I had been driving for several years, and that led me back to the local Chevy dealer, where I found this car on the showroom floor:

What's your story? Who actually remembers when these cars were new?-lhjsibe.jpg

I traded the econo-box and drove the IROC home, where it's been ever since. Over the years, I resisted the idea of modifying it in any way other than new rims (the originals are in storage); first considering a big-block swap, then a 383 when they first became popular, and more recently, an LS swap.

Third Gen cars are beginning to appreciate in value, and clean, unmodified examples are becoming more and more rare. "Thanks" to the collector-car auctions, first-gen Camaros have all but priced themselves right out of the hands of enthusiasts, and 2nd gen, other than the split-bumper cars, are not sought out due to those ugly 5-mph bumpers and performance-robbing early attempts at air pollution reduction. And now buyers other than the millionaires who inhabit those auctions are beginning to take notice. And not that that I care about 'collector value' of a car I really like, my point is that 3rd gen cars are now finally getting some recognition, and their increasing rarity always seems to bring favorable comments when people see them out on the street. This is the car today:

What's your story? Who actually remembers when these cars were new?-y3ri85c.jpg

I don't think I'm going to let this one get away.

As I posted in a previous thread, I don't think my story is all that much different from any other guys my age who are still into cars/performance/hot rods. It's just the time in which we grew up; back then, everyone was into cars at some level. These days, many driving-age kids don't even care about getting their drivers' license, an attitude that is light years away from that of my generation.

Last edited by ironwill; 03-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.