History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

What cars got carpet on the interior panels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89
What cars got carpet on the interior panels?

My 86 Iroc has them and I have only seen them in person inside Camaros. Was the carpet on the interior panels an option? Did any of the Firebirds or Trans Am's get them? I did a search and haven't found any information regarding the options that included them.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: What cars got carpet on the interior panels?

It was an optional feature on some years/models. More common on earlier cars. One of my 86 Trans Am's had it, but it wasn't available at all on later Firebirds.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

Originally Posted by Drew
It was an optional feature on some years/models. More common on earlier cars. One of my 86 Trans Am's had it, but it wasn't available at all on later Firebirds.
Interesting. I am curious on the years. I am assuming you couldn't get it on the GTA Ultima interior package? I never really put much thought into them until you have faded carmine red interior and the carpet is a good way to cover it up and protect from scratches. I have black interior with the carpet panels on my Iroc and they are in awesome shape still and I have put all sorts of junk in the back of it!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Seems like the bulk of the cars I remember seeing with the carpet were Berlinettas, Irocs with the Bose stereo, and well equiped Trans Ams in the mid years.

It was one of those things that is almost like GM couldn't decide if they liked it, or not. I can't remember ever seeing one that was still in good shape. You can Armor All plastic, carpet fades and breaks down from UV just as much or more than plastic.

It's never been anything I was too interested in, since I don't really care for the look, and none of the thirdgens I've owned for any length of time had it. The 86 T/A I mentioned was only in my possession for a day or two before I stripped what I wanted and flipped it to the next guy. The only reason I remember it, is because it had the locking storage cover in the trunk - which I pulled and eventually sold. IIRC there is an RPO code associated with it, but it doesn't come to mind.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:36 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Option code B48. 1986 is the last year I see reference to it for the Firebird side as an available option.