History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Camaro Show at Bloomington Gold Corvette Event in Indy: Figured history & originality

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A
Camaro Show at Bloomington Gold Corvette Event in Indy: Figured history & originality

Figured with the "History and Originality" of the Bloomington Gold Corvette Survivor, Benchmark, and Certification awards and status, this would be relatable here.

Bloomington Gold is opening up their event to Camaro. Doesn't speak to the generations of cars involved, or related models (from Pontiac), but the inclusion of Camaro does add an element to their event. Here's the press release:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bloomington Gold Corvettes, USA Invites their Cousin, the Camaro, to Play at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Bloomington Gold Corvettes is excited to announce an addition to the 2019 Event. For the first time in the 45-year history of the Show, Bloomington Gold will invite Camaros to join them at the 3-day event June 20-22, 2019 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Camaros will be offered similar opportunity to enjoy many of the amenities already offered to Corvette owners such as laps on the infamous IMS track, participation in the road tour and Camaro focused vendors, to name a few.
Certification of Camaros will not be offered initially but may be offered in the future.
Why the addition of Camaro’s to an event that is highly recognized as Corvettes only? “Not only do a lot of our customers have Camaros in their garage, [the Camaro] is a nice stepping stone before entering the Corvette hobby. Why not share the fun that so many Corvette owners are having at Bloomington Gold with owners of another Chevrolet vehicle with the same need for speed?” says Guy Larsen, Bloomington Gold Owner and President.
The idea of adding Camaros to the event is not a new one. In fact, Bloomington Gold has been considering the addition for a few years. “After sharing the idea with a number of our sponsors, customers, and key Camaro players at GM, we decided now is the time to move forward with the addition, “continues Larsen. This addition should be seen as a positive one and a way for Bloomington Gold fans to nurture a new attendee base in the treasures to be had at Bloomington Gold.
Bloomington Gold is a 3-day event that takes place within the confines of the Iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway each June. The event is open to the public. Tickets for the 2019 Show as well as lap times, garages and suites are on sale now and can be reserved through the Bloomington Gold store found at Bloomingtongold.com.
For more information on Bloomington Gold see Bloomingtongold.com.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: Camaro Show at Bloomington Gold Corvette Event in Indy: Figured history & origina

Great news!

I hope it’s not a bunch of 5th gens with Lambo doors and neon lights!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Camaro Show at Bloomington Gold Corvette Event in Indy: Figured history & origina

I got to take one of my old IROC's around the track in 98 I believe. It was awesome. Would love to do that again!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

An interesting move.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Originally Posted by indy82z
I got to take one of my old IROC's around the track in 98 I believe. It was awesome. Would love to do that again!

From the way it reads, looks like you can.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Polo Green RS Z03
Engine: L03 - 5.0 Liter V8 TBI
Transmission: MD8 – 4 SPD Auto
Axle/Gears: GU2 - 2:73 Ratio

Exciting idea but competes with 2 other national events. GM @ Carlisle and Camaro Nationals in MD.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:23 AM
Banned

The politics of the two east coast shows is getting old. Fredrick is dying a painful slow death since its break with Carlisle and the Carlisle event is sustainable but perhaps the weakest event offering due to the scheduled date of the event.

I think the reasons for the Bloomington event change has a back story too, I will check with my contacts at GM to confirm.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 w/Paxton
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by CPC Norwood
The politics of the two east coast shows is getting old. Fredrick is dying a painful slow death since its break with Carlisle and the Carlisle event is sustainable but perhaps the weakest event offering due to the scheduled date of the event.

I think the reasons for the Bloomington event change has a back story too, I will check with my contacts at GM to confirm.
The internet has sure changed things over the years too.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 373 Limited Slip

Originally Posted by CPC Norwood

lol Not that its not a nice gesture, and may work out for us, but the first thing that came to my mind was They must be having trouble. Who knows! Can we now get better and more aftermarket parts? I can only pray so.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Banned

GM pulled the plug on Fredrick 2 years ago with the announced event name change at Carlisle to the "Chevrolet Nationals" and at the end of last Year's event GM was on the fence about returning.

The question is where is GM going to display the 2020 car this year??
Old 01-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro Z28 1LE- Z03
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5spd

Camaro Nationals has been on my list for a while. Hate to hear about issues with politics and potential trouble. It's such a long drive I would probably have to trailer the car up.

Crazy that all of these events are on the same weekend.