History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Removing "Ziebart" type undercoatings, checking for update methods

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS
Removing "Ziebart" type undercoatings, checking for update methods

Gents, the brain surgeons at Ziebart back in the 80s coated the strut towers on my 88 IROC. I'm replacing the engine in the car and now is the time to properly clean the engine bay so it doesn't look perpetually dingy and nasty. From the searching I've done it looks like Kerosene/ATF works as a solvent in conjunction with scotchbrite pads and rags. For thick areas some heat and a plastic scraper were recommended.

Just checking to see if these methods are still the best way, or if anyone has come up with anything better in the last 15 years.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Removing "Ziebart" type undercoatings, checking for update methods

Try the Gunk HD GEL engine degreaser first. 50% of the time, it melts the stuff right off. Beyond that, try different products. A bug/tar remover might not be a bad idea. Various degreasers, Simple Green, Purple Power, etc. Mineral Spirits. WD40. Lighter fluid. Seems like different brands react differently, but also depends how thick, how old, rubber vs oil based...
Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

I used the Gunk gel and like Drew said it just melted the stuff right off. It left the factory overspray, I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

The Gunk Gel works great. Just don't let it sit on your asphalt driveway.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Explosives work well for me..
Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Supreme Member

Thank you gentlemen. I'm hoping to get the engine out this week and the degreasing can commence....
Old 03-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

So I've learned how to remove the Ziebart type coating, and I've decided that I'll never buy a car that has been "Ziebarted" ever again. The Gunk Gel, would melt it a little bit, but it would have taken an eternity and 500 cans to do it.

1. Start with a heat gun and a plastic scraper. Trim removal tool works well. The idea is to scrape off as much as possible. There is a perfect amount of heat. Too cold and you can't scrape it off, too hot and it just melts into mush and makes a mess, get the heat right and it will release from the car yet stay together is chips. If you can get it to release from the car you have MUCH less to melt off later.
2. Next take a cup of MEK and a 2" paint brush with the bristles cut back to about 1/2" long and melt the rest of the undercoating off. The brush allows you to get in all the little places, mop up the areas that still have a thick coating with a MEK soaked blue shop towel.
3. Follow up with more MEK and blue shop towels, and you're all done.

The ENTIRE engine bay looked like the first pic. The second picture is 90% complete. I later cleaned the fuel lines and replaced nearly all of the split wire loom. New upper strut bearings will be on their way soon as well.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
So I've learned how to remove the Ziebart type coating, and I've decided that I'll never buy a car that has been "Ziebarted" ever again. The Gunk Gel, would melt it a little bit, but it would have taken an eternity and 500 cans to do it.

1. Start with a heat gun and a plastic scraper. Trim removal tool works well. The idea is to scrape off as much as possible. There is a perfect amount of heat. Too cold and you can't scrape it off, too hot and it just melts into mush and makes a mess, get the heat right and it will release from the car yet stay together is chips. If you can get it to release from the car you have MUCH less to melt off later.
2. Next take a cup of MEK and a 2" paint brush with the bristles cut back to about 1/2" long and melt the rest of the undercoating off. The brush allows you to get in all the little places, mop up the areas that still have a thick coating with a MEK soaked blue shop towel.

The ENTIRE engine bay looked like the first pic. The second picture is 90% complete. I later cleaned the fuel lines and replaced nearly all of the split wire loom. New upper strut bearings will be on their way soon as well.

Great job!!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

That sure looks good!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73

Just seeing this... I used to work for Ziebart a lifetime ago. *DUCKS. Calm down folks, I never did any thirdgens and no thirdgens came in our shop while I was there. I only did the undercoating and rustproofing for about 6 months before I was promoted to window tinter and finally sunroofs and electronics. I hated the rust proofing and undercoating job.

For future reference, if you have actual verifiable Ziebart brand coating, it's designed specifically to be removed with straight mineral spirits. The chemical composition breaks down when mineral spirits interacts with it. You can spray mineral spirits on it and it will literally drip off of the car. I seriously doubt your car was done at Ziebart, at least not a reputable one since we never did engine bays. It was against policy due to wiring, sensors, hoses and on and on. The undercoat was for the underside of the vehicle only. I remember people inquiring about engine bays and personally telling them no many times. Now, it was possible that some overspray got on the bottom of the firewall or areas around the engine, but there's no way it would look like your car fully coated.

At my shop, when the process was complete, the hood was raised and any undercoating was cleaned off of underside of hood and visible areas around the engine and it was very noticeable. I remember having to replace hood insulation a few times until they got smart and started masking that off. We had bags for wheels and tires. All of this was done with special pivoting spray tips to get behind things and control the spray. The car would get a mineral spirit bath after completion to remove any overspray from the body, followed by wash and clear coat protector.

Your car was most likely done by inexperienced idiots at a competitor.

I realize the undercoating/rust proofing is damaging visibly to an original car especially with the holes drilled for the rust proofing rods, but I can tell you the process does work. I did my Dad's brand new 2002 Silverado 2500 HD in 2002, it currently has over 200,000 miles on it and it is the only 2002 Silverado in this entire county that I've seen so far that is not rusted out and still has all of it's clear coat and still looks good when washed. He drives it in everything and doesn't even wash it much. Every truck I see like his, every single one has rusted rockers, rusted wheel wells and failing clear coat.

It's a love hate thing I guess...
Old 03-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by kentuckyKITT
I realize the undercoating/rust proofing is damaging visibly to an original car especially with the holes drilled for the rust proofing rods, but I can tell you the process does work. I did my Dad's brand new 2002 Silverado 2500 HD in 2002, it currently has over 200,000 miles on it and it is the only 2002 Silverado in this entire county that I've seen so far that is not rusted out and still has all of it's clear coat and still looks good when washed. He drives it in everything and doesn't even wash it much. Every truck I see like his, every single one has rusted rockers, rusted wheel wells and failing clear coat.

It's a love hate thing I guess...
I admit that there may be different formulations of the material used, but I have yet to see any car that actually benefited long-term from being 'rust-proofed'. In my experience, the coating dries up, cracks and then holds moisture up against the parent metal, actually accelerating the rust problem. I'd assume the fine print says you should re-apply every few years, and in that case it probably does work. But on older cars like we're talking about here, I've only seen it be a detriment in my experience.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5

My IROC was Ziebarted before I owned it. I get my daily driver oil sprayed each year, but never got the IROC done because I only drive it in the summer. Besides, oil spray on top of Ziebart would make a black sticky mess. Over the years I've been cleaning up the Ziebart in the engine bay. Varsol works well, also sold as Mineral Spirits or Paint Thinner.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS B4C
Engine: 5.7 TPI Crate Motor
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42

Looks great!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5

MEK is a very aggressive solvent. Ordinary paint thinner (Varsol, mineral spirits) works fine on Ziebart. You don't want to dull or remove the paint.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM
Supreme Member

As long as I didn’t use the plastic scraper on the paint while it was soaked in MEK, it didn’t damage or dull the paint at all in my case. Agree that something more mild may be better, but I liked the aggressiveness to cut this stuff off. It doesn’t exactly melt away, I used nearly a gallon cleaning this thing up.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

As long as I didn’t use the plastic scraper on the paint while it was soaked in MEK, it didn’t damage or dull the paint at all in my case. Agree that something more mild may be better, but I liked the aggressiveness to cut this stuff off. It doesn’t exactly melt away, I used nearly a gallon cleaning this thing up.
just a friendly warning, be really careful while working with MEK - I've worked with this stuff for over 30 years and it's REALLY bad stuff.
It can cause lung cancer among other illnesses, I've lost 2 friends to it (most likely from long term exposure to MEK fumes and working without rubber gloves).
It's very NASTY stuff !!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by BizJetTech
just a friendly warning, be really careful while working with MEK - I've worked with this stuff for over 30 years and it's REALLY bad stuff.
It can cause lung cancer among other illnesses, I've lost 2 friends to it (most likely from long term exposure to MEK fumes and working without rubber gloves).
It's very NASTY stuff !!
You know, I was going to warn about that too, as MEK used to be banned from UAW shops where I used to work. But when I went to look for backing evidence, I found this.

" On December 19, 2005, EPA issued a final rule removing MEK from Section 112 (b) (1) of the Clean Air Act. Petitions to remove a substance from the HAP list are authorized under Section 112 (b) (3). EPA determined that ambient concentrations, bioaccumulation, or deposition of MEK may not reasonably be anticipated to cause adverse human health or environmental effects."

https://www.americanchemistry.com/MEK/

Still, I'd be very careful. Keep it off your skin, don't inhale the fumes.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
You know, I was going to warn about that too, as MEK used to be banned from UAW shops where I used to work. But when I went to look for backing evidence, I found this.

" On December 19, 2005, EPA issued a final rule removing MEK from Section 112 (b) (1) of the Clean Air Act. Petitions to remove a substance from the HAP list are authorized under Section 112 (b) (3). EPA determined that ambient concentrations, bioaccumulation, or deposition of MEK may not reasonably be anticipated to cause adverse human health or environmental effects."

https://www.americanchemistry.com/MEK/

Still, I'd be very careful. Keep it off your skin, don't inhale the fumes.
Here is the Safety Data sheet for MEK
https://www.fishersci.com/shop/msdsp...toreId%3D10652

Section 2. Hazard Statements - Highly flammable liquid and vapor ......May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure

It's nasty stuff that will F_ _ _ you up if you use it often.....
Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

In the Air Force we called it "Methyl Ethyl Killya!"
Old 03-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Old 03-21-2019, 05:02 AM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
In the Marine Corps, we would say "Just send it", and jump into that empty engine bay with shorts/a T-shirt. See what happens.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

It's good this info comes out here. This is why facebook sucks and forums like this are still by far the best way to trade information. It's a shame forums are declining due to the ignorant hoardes on FB.

I used rubber gloves and am working in a 40'x60' heated shop. I also only worked in 2hr increments in evenings after the kids went to bed. I'm certain I was exposed to some bad stuff, but I can't imagine my exposure was anywhere near a dangerous level.

While we're taking this slight diversion, I'll admit the major safety issue in my shop is air quality in the winter time. I can spray paint stuff and come back in the morning and it still smells pretty strong in there. I have a ceiling mounted exhaust fan that also pulls all my heat out as well. I use it when things are really bad, but not near as much as I should probably. Otherwise I try to keep things pretty safe in there. Things are safer and more properly disposed off and put away now that I have shop cats!