History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Replacement parts for 83 Recaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1983 Recaro T/A
Engine: GMPP 350HO Carbed
Transmission: 700R4
Replacement parts for 83 Recaro

New to the board, just bought back the exact same TA I owned many years ago. AQ9 RPO, had the square/mesh headrest leather recaros and recaro door handles back then. The interior is now out of a Camaro, with a Corvette center console dremeled down to fit. The Recaro rails were still in the back, and they look repairable, but no sign of the seats. The entire body is just tractor paint, and all the aero parts between the wheels (so doors, and in front of/behind doors) are gone with the holes bondoed over. Same with the taillight center piece.

I've been looking for the missing cosmetic and aero parts, but I can't find them for this year, only 1985 and newer.
Where should I look for those ground effects, even broken ones that I can use to make a new mold? I'd prefer not to make my own but I will if that's what it takes.
The seats are probably more of a tall order, so are there any suggestions for similar-looking newer Recaros that I can fit on the old rails?

Here's what it looks like right now, with some closeups of the spots I'm missing. Color is "John Deere Blitz Black" Yes, those are 1985 taillights.

The red is just spray chalk to make sure I left enough room once I found out I had the chance to get my car back. I made sure to mark parking spots for the doors!

The car has been maintained on the cheap, but at least it seems mostly mechanically sound. So far I've only had to fix power steering, brake light switch, and the park lock cable, but the left turn signal isn't cancelling either so I'm getting into the steering column now.

Last edited by 83AQ9; 07-22-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Questions up front for readability.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1983 Recaro T/A
Engine: GMPP 350HO Carbed
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Replacement parts for 83 Recaro

This is how my car used to look, without hatch window cover:

No idea why the guy posting the video says there were only 8 or 9 of them. I doubt someone went to all the effort of riveting a fake RPO plate under the hood, and I did not pay a price for this car that would indicate that level of rarity.