Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

why isnt my heater working right?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
why isnt my heater working right?

i know this is a stupid little thing thats wrong, but it bothers me:

for some reason when i put any accessory on (a/c, heater, defrost) it blows out of where its supposed to (i.e.: heater on the floor and defrost on the window) but only with half or less power, the other amount just blows out of the vent, now i thought i had a bad vacuum switch http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=15-71350 but now that i fixed it, it still happens...i can hear in the switch that there is still vacuum pressure so i dont think its any of the vacuum lines leaking but i am just a freak for wanting things to work as they were supposed to and this just kinda annoys me lol...anyone else know what might be wrong?

thank you very much
-brian
Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: why isnt my heater working right?

Check the vacuum hose that is in the engine bay. If that guy has a break or cut, your heater system will automatically divert to the defroster for safety reasons.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

well the thing is that its not blowing out of the defrost mainly, its out of the vents (between floor and defrost) and i want it to blow correctly...i can hear that it has vacuum from inside the car...im actually kinda wondering iftheres something wrong with the heater/selector door thing (that diverts the air through either 1 of the 3 ducts)
Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

now that i think of it, my cruise control isnt working either...and i know for a fact that the wires are all hooked up correctly...so i probably do have a broken hose down by that vacuum tank
Old 10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

welltoday i spent the glorious time in the rain replacing every vacuum line from the vacuum canister to the firewall...and guess what...still not functioning right! go figure...anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member

did i stump everyone here or something?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall
Axle/Gears: G80,10 bolt 3.42's

Subscribe.Similar issues and not alot of luck searching.From what I`ve read this can be a PITA to diagnose.My door will not open/shut since I feplaced the heater core It doesnt appear to be hung on anything and I can open/close it by hand and hear a hiss from the vacume but it automaticly slams shut on its own.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

well i am about to venture off to the vent door...but i heard that its a hell of a time...i noticed this fading to the way it is now...it used to work the way that it was supposed to then it became the way it is now, which is why i though thtat it could have been a vacuum problem to begin with...but now it doesnt seem so...im almost wondering about the selector that is tied in with the vacuum switch too
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

My selector seems fine.I believe my problem is either a pinched vacume line or the door hinge is some how jacked up.????It`s not bad getting to that door at all.Just a few screws.Its the getting yourselfin the floorboard that sucks.Changing the heatr core isnt even that bad.The worst part for me was getting the hoses off the old heatewr core.Putting all the screws back in is a pita too.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

yeah now that i think of it, the hoses on the heater core were the hardest part...that and getting the damn thing in was pretty brutal too, trying not to bend anything while you cant see very well...

anyway, where is the door located just incase i feel like venturing to that section soon? and i think the selector just cuz this problem is somethign that the car 'eased' into, not just suddenly happened...my dad once told me a story of working on a benz, similar problem but it had 2 heater doors (climate controlled) and one door was broken in half, when he called the dealership they said they dont sell that replacement...he asked to speak with a mechanic, he said 'yeah they dont make this part but they all seem to break, we just duct tape the hell out of it and put it back in'....wonder if it could be broken even?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Just take the cover off the heater core down by where your feet/toes would be sitting in the passenger seat.Its just to the left of the heater core.Its actually an upper and lower metal door.

Last edited by Shadygrady; 10-29-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

oh ok...the heater core doesnt have to come out or be moved right? just i just put in new carpet and thats thelast thing ineed right now lol anti-freeze all over the new carpet lol
Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Shadygrady
Just take the cover off the heater core down by where your feet/toes would be sitting in the passenger seat.Its just to the left of the heater core.Its actually an upper and lower metal door.
I inspected my door when I changed out the heater core. I found it to be off it's hinge. I also found that there are simple foam seals that were way worn out. I got some foam at the crafts store and glued it on. You have to be careful when you put it back together, it is very poorly designed IMHO.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

oh ok...thank you very much for the info...i didnt even thinkof it to possibly be off the hinge...that could possibly be the problem, dont know for sure until i look at it though lol...i did do the heater core in this car twice so far (both times found it blown up allover my floor ) but seeing as how it was replaced twice, there is a possibility that it could have been knocked out of place maybe?

how hard is it to do this job?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by racerx520
oh ok...thank you very much for the info...i didnt even thinkof it to possibly be off the hinge...that could possibly be the problem, dont know for sure until i look at it though lol...i did do the heater core in this car twice so far (both times found it blown up allover my floor ) but seeing as how it was replaced twice, there is a possibility that it could have been knocked out of place maybe?

how hard is it to do this job?
Yes, you could have easily knocked it around. It's a very straight forward job as long as you take your time and don't break anything.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 T/A & 88 GTA
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI & 350 LO5 TPI
Transmission: Jasper 4L60 x2
Axle/Gears: 2.77/posi LSD & 2.73/posi LSD

oh ok...the heater core doesnt have to come out or be moved right? just i just put in new carpet and thats thelast thing ineed right now lol anti-freeze all over the new carpet lol

couldn't agree with you more brian. i had ordered new carpet just to find out the heater core was bad. i changed it before the carpet. i changed my heater core without taking the dash out. there is a tech article on it. you just have a little less room to work with. i know you dont need the core out but it has to do with the housing box. because you know that is where the door is. good luck.

btw your car is looking nicer and nicer.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

thank you...its taking a lot of time, but i think soon i'll be done with the inside, then i'll be trying to build and install a new motor (when i get money) and then by that time it'll probably be time to repaint the car lol (the paint is pretty crappy and kinda upsets me that i spent so much time on it and the paint is chipping in certain spots)

hopefully i can do this job (or just investigate whats wrong) without ruining anything lol i should probably line the passenger side with multiple layers of towells just in case lol
Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

finally got around to taking off the heater box cover and taking a look at the doors for the vents.....guess what? it was off its hinge! thank god that was such a simple fix (knock on wood) and it seems to be working properly now...thank you very much for the info on that, it helped out a great deal lol cuz i was about to get quite frustrated lol
Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Supreme Member

it's been years since i've done this but i had a similar problem, glad you noticed it. after you remove the box cover under the dash were you able to get to it with the core in place? or did you have to remove the ac/heater box under the hood it's been so long i forgot myself and i need to adjust mine.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Supreme Member

i removed the cover or shroud under the dash, then i removed the heater box cover (just so i could see the doors properly) loosened a screw for the doors and put it back in place...tightened up the screw and there ya go all done

my hinge was a bit out of place and i could have done this repair without having to take off the heater box cover i bet
Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Car: 2003 SILVERADO /86 IROC/85 S10
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

THERE SHOULD BE A LITTLE DAMPER OR DOOR OR FLAP, IF YOU WILL, THAT MOVES FROM ONE SIDE TO ANOTHER DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU HAVE SELECTED THE CONTROL TO DO. SOMETIMES THEY GET GUMMED UP OR A PENCIL FALLS DOWN A VENT AND IT GETS JAMMED IN THAT BOX WHERE THE FLAPPER IS AT. WHEN YOU SWITCH THE CONTROL, YOU SHOULD HEAR THAT DOOR CLOSE. YOU MAY HAVE TO LIE DOWN IN THE FLOORBOARD TO HEAR IT. FOLLOW THE CONTROL CABLE FROM THE SELECTOR SWITCH DOWN TO THE DUCTWORK AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE IT MOVE WHEN YOU ACTIVATE THE SWITCH.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah,I pulled the cover off of mine and it appears it is still on its hinge.I can see the door/flap doesnt move when you change the controlls.I used to hear it but it does nothing now.I can move it with my hand then it returns to it`s last position
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

that seems like a vaccum problem...you should be able tohear the vacuum...check the link on my first post, they sell the vacuum switch if thats whats bad....maybe a broken vacuum hose...my local autoparts store just gave me the hose that i needed to repair it for free (i replaced all the hose under the hood)
Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Shadygrady
Yeah,I pulled the cover off of mine and it appears it is still on its hinge.I can see the door/flap doesnt move when you change the controlls.I used to hear it but it does nothing now.I can move it with my hand then it returns to it`s last position
Have you had your stereo out or the temperature controls ? The settings are all controlled by clear vacuum lines, but thats after vacuum is fed to the control head. There is a small black hollow pipe that comes from somewhere near the firewall to the control head. It's about the size of a swizel stick. It feeds vacuum to the control head. Sometimes if you're doing work around that area it will come lose. It's not held to the control head by anything, the hose from the control head just slips over it. It comes off very easily.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

I`ve done decent amount of work around it latly.Begining of summer heater core went out,so I bypassed it.swaped my old a/c box for a 1LE heater box and replaced the heatercore in the last few weeks.Worked before I swapped to the heater box and swapped the core.

I`m also having trouble figuring out which of the five wires to the fan resistor I should use since the 1LE heater resistor only uses 3.I either put the fan on wrong or was given the wrong fan cause I feel no air coming out of any vents even when I can get the fan to come on.When I get the fan to come on it is going very fast making loud roar and the fan speeds dont match the controlls.

So basicly right now my hvac is fubar.If I didnt want to use defrost I wouldnt worry about it but I need the defrost sometimes.

Last edited by Shadygrady; 11-09-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
TGO Supporter

Loud fans usually mean they're running reversed. Thats probably why you don't feel it. Try to seal off the vents except one and light a cigarette. See if the smoke is pulled into the vents. Also, I bet the little vacuum line has come apart. Pull out your control head. You'll see the black vacuum line I was referring to. It should be near or on the transmission hump. See if it has come apart.

Last edited by Kevin84Z28; 11-10-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

well if the doors were moving you would definately be able to hear it...i personally would start from under the hood, take out the battery and follow the vacuum line from the vacuum tank all the way to the firewall where it separates in to 1/8 in. vacuum line and make srue thats ok too....if it isnt then check the controls near the radio....you should be able to hear the vacuum from inside though, unless something under the hood went bad
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

I`ve already pulled the hvac controls and everything seems to be in order.As far as the vacume under the hood my cruise suddenly quite working a while back.I taced the vacume lines to the fire wall and again evertyhing seems connected.I have since removed the cruise controll to for room to mount my digital6,never used the cruise much anyway,and did plug the vacume line coming from it.I also removed the heater controll valve but the line to it is plugged off as well.I was told the heat/defrost would work fine without it as not all cars got them.

As far as the fans I was refering to the blower motor fan.With the 1LE heater box the stock a/c fan will not fit.It`s too long/deep.I bought a fan/squirrel cage for a non a/c car but its made of metal instead of plastic.It still hit the firewall when I installed it one way.I flipped it around which seemed to me to be backwards but it was the only way it would fit.Thats what I get the loud noise from with no air coming out of any of the vents.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

well maybe some of the vacuum lines could be dry rotted too? i went over all of mine and just replaced them all, they were all cracking and i wasnt sure if any air was leaking out so i just got all new ones....the guy at the parts store gave me the lines for free.....thats my best bet on why noting is working with the vents not moving how theyre supposed to

and as far as the fan, i would take the suggestion of lighting someting to see if the smoke will go up into the vents instead of out, because that could very well be your problem
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

now a new problem has arisen...i go to put the selector from 'off' to 'heater' and it hisses for quite some time (about maybe 2-5 minutes) and then i can hear the heater door close in the appropriate place....now when the heater is 'off' the doors are already in the 'heater' position, blowing towards the floor, and i have new vacuum hoses and a vacuum selector so i know those arent bad...i just re-hinged the vent door and it worked perfectly fine for quite some time and now this is happening....any idea what it could be now? maybe try using some regular grease on the hinge? its just kinda annoying when things dont work correctly lol its a bit of a pet peeve
Old 11-16-2008, 01:24 AM
TGO Supporter

now a new problem has arisen...i go to put the selector from 'off' to 'heater' and it hisses for quite some time (about maybe 2-5 minutes) and then i can hear the heater door close in the appropriate place....now when the heater is 'off' the doors are already in the 'heater' position, blowing towards the floor, and i have new vacuum hoses and a vacuum selector so i know those arent bad...i just re-hinged the vent door and it worked perfectly fine for quite some time and now this is happening....any idea what it could be now? maybe try using some regular grease on the hinge? its just kinda annoying when things dont work correctly lol its a bit of a pet peeve
If I get you right, when you put it on "Heater' it takes 2-5 minutes for it to engage while at the same time you can hear a hiss. (Vacuum leak) Then, when you activate the switch to "off" the heater door is still in place and does not travel to the closed position. (no Vacuum) Do all of the other settings work correctly? Air, vent, etc...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Well as far as mine is concerned once I got the correct blower motor and fan and got it all hooked up works fine.I dont have the vents working but all I needed and wanted was heat and defrost and I have controll of them both.Guess I got lucky.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
If I get you right, when you put it on "Heater' it takes 2-5 minutes for it to engage while at the same time you can hear a hiss. (Vacuum leak) Then, when you activate the switch to "off" the heater door is still in place and does not travel to the closed position. (no Vacuum) Do all of the other settings work correctly? Air, vent, etc...

well from what i understand from my father (used to be a gm mechanic when this car was new) and also from what i was observing when i had the heater box on and watching the heater doors move, the 'off' position is in the same position as the 'heater', just at 'off' the blower will not engage...it doesnt seem to block off all the air, just puts it very very gently at your feet.....

but yes it takes a while for the heater to engage from 'off' and the vent and defrost and stuff work still...i normally keep it on 'heater' because i dont like the air directly at me (i know im weird) so i havent really observed it at vent or anything else.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Car: 1989 5.7 IROC Dark Red/Blk 92Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R

did you ever fix your cruise control.? I had the same problem (no heat). My problem was the line from the plenum to the heater control valve was capped off inside the hose. But since I've been messing with my heat, my cruise control quit. My heater control valve works, if I use a vaccum line from under the plenum, but it doesn't if I use the hose that was originally connected to it, it has NO vaccum.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 350 tuned port. bolt ons
Transmission: 700r4

sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm having the same problem. After I installed my heater core. No vacuum sound at all. No activety in the ac and no ac door movement.