Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

90-92 Intellitronix Digi Dash Prototype In My Hands!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 04:48 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
Re: 90-92 Intellitronix Digi Dash Prototype In My Hands!

ok, well I learned something

You should have tapped the wire, not cut it. Not sure which you did? But I suspect that your flicking back n forth may be due to the vss error.

Myself, since I have a non-stock harness. I tapped into the speedo output wire from my pcm and calibrate it thru my pcm. They don't recommend that, but it works.

If you still have problems with it after rechecking your wiring. I have an email I can give you for tech help.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale
ok, well I learned something

You should have tapped the wire, not cut it. Not sure which you did? But I suspect that your flicking back n forth may be due to the vss error.

Myself, since I have a non-stock harness. I tapped into the speedo output wire from my pcm and calibrate it thru my pcm. They don't recommend that, but it works.

If you still have problems with it after rechecking your wiring. I have an email I can give you for tech help.
OK, so we have not tapped into the vss wire that goes to the ecm.

The vss has been pulled.

So, are we to run a wire from the speedo signal wire from the transmission to the wire that carries the vss signal to the ECM?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:56 PM
TGO Supporter

If you pulled the vss, then that's why your triggering the trouble code. Any way to put that back in? (I never knew you could remove it, it must be different than any vss Ive dealt with)

Are you sending signal to the new cluster via the inline device that screws onto your transmission? If so, then I think you need to hook them to wires to the cluster (I'm not sure, didn't hook mine up that way)
Old 05-18-2015, 02:07 AM

I'll take a pic of the vss.

So, am I right in saying that the speed reference wire from the transmission needs to be spliced and spliced into the wire going from the ecm to the vss?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 AM
TGO Supporter

I'm still having problems understanding how everything is setup on your car. So until I get that under grasp, Im not sure how to tell you to wire it up.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dale
I'm still having problems understanding how everything is setup on your car. So until I get that under grasp, Im not sure how to tell you to wire it up.
Hi Dale, would you have that email address handy from intellitronix?

Still can't work this vss out.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

any updates ?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 PM

Car: 1989 TA
Engine: 350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Well I've fallen victim to the Intellitronix craze and while looking 'cool' it's also a frustrating PIMA! Here's what I've done and found that will maybe help those who fall next.

I'll start by saying I have a 1989 TA that does not use a speedo cable. My factory dash gauges are mechanical but have electronic inputs. I figured what good is a custom dash (and it is by the way...to say 'plug n play' is a lie) if I cannot utilize my factory setup (sensors, wiring harness, cruise, etc).

Tech support has been Godaweful and that's if by some small miracle they choose to reply to emails, vmails or general phone calls!

Ok, first of all I did a complete pinout of my C2 & C1 dash cluster connectors. I then used T-Taps on each factory wire to tap into and hook to the digital dash wires. No problem, straight forward once you pin it all out. Tach to tach, water to temp, reds together to red, blacks together to black, etc. none of the supplied Intellitronix sensors were used.

Ok first problem. Quality Control doesn't seem to be a priority as I have two burned out led sections (part of the O in Oil and part of a number in Fuel)...so hopefully will receive a replacement but thank GOD I T-tapped everything because I'll unhook, redo the male connector on the new gauge wires and plug back into already placed female taps on the cars harness.

Ok second problem....the speedo! What a sob!
First I jus tapped into speedo wire in harness (dark green), figuring it'd be like all the rest....nope.
Second I called tech support 5x and finally spoke to a human. I told him no speedo cable, that it's already electronic and runs off a factory VSS on the rear side of the trans with 2 wires, yellow & purple. He told me I needed to tap into the yellow wire before the buffer box and ECM and run directly to their gauges wire. So I did.....nope.
More research....here's where it gets confusing....
A guy who's done this before said that you gota go before the buffer box and tap directly into the wire for the ecm. Then do a jumper between the speedo wire and that ecm wire at the buffer box connector. Then you're good. So I did. We have a heartbeat. It's off 10-15mph so obviously needs calibration but at least I'm getting a reading finally! I'll be damned if I know why or how....but it works.

Oh also they say if I hook into headlight switch it'll dim 50% when I turn lights on so I'll probably have to figure out which wire in the switch connector I need to tap into as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Going to revive this thread again. Does anyone have installation photos for the 90-92 Camaro panel? Just tried to install one over the weekend and gave up when holes weren't lining up to allow it to screw together.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: camaro
Engine: 3.1 :(
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

Its called a dremel. It wil hhelp during installations
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmie
Its called a dremel. It wil hhelp during installations
Kind of assumed that but was hoping their instructions weren't that bad as to how it went together. Mainly because nothing lines up on the kit they sent me. And I do mean nothing.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Ive since parted my car out and sold the cluster. I don't recall having problems with the mounting points, but I did have to cut the housing to make clearance.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 ls1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23

To anyone thinking of putting these gauges in their car, DON'T do it unless you like to take your dash apart many times and pay to ship parts back and wait for them to come back and get frustrated trying to get through to tech support, hardest part is getting Jeff, Paul, & secretary to communicate with each other and get things sent out in a timely manner without calling in multiple times. I think I had the worst experience as the first 3 boards all had led's burnt out on circuit board in different spots on each one, the fourth worked great, for 22 miles then a couple in voltmeter started to fade away and burnt out. That tells me they have no quality control and are using iffy parts. I sent all back in for a complete refund as it was within 3 months and still without gauges, Paul gave me the run around for a month to give me a full refund that he himself approved, I gave up considered it a waste and went back to stock gauges, lesson learned, money wasted, sketchy company and not worth the hassle. Buyer beware.