Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Can I use factory brackets with Corbeau seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use factory brackets with Corbeau seats?

Hey all,

Can I use factory seat brackets with minimal work to mount some Corbeau CR1 seats?

I suppose my other option is, I have some beat factory Recaros I would be willing to trade for Corbeau seat brackets if anyone is interested in making that deal.
I tried to make a post asking if the Recaros are worth anything in the state they are in, but I never saw my post appear, maybe that wasn't allowed? Sorry, new to the forum, I used to lurk years ago, but until I picked up this 87 IROC I haven't had a third gen since 2003.

Here are some shots of the Recaros:

So basically are the Recaros worth anything? Does anyone have double locking Corbeau sliders available? Can I use the factory sliders without hours of work???
Old 10-12-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 players unraced
Engine: LB9
Re: Can I use factory brackets with Corbeau seats?

You can get brackets for corbeau from hawks, wedge brackets or corbeau direct.

Here are my wedge brackets with corbeau gts II's. I haven't installed them yet but will let you know next week how it fits and how the factory ones compare.

I know one advantage of getting the proper aftermarket set is you can upgrade to double locking sliders.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

i have heard that all aftermarket seat brakets cause the seats to sit quite high up.

therefore I fabbed my own out of some mild steel and incorporated the sliders and all has been fine ever since

do a search for corbeau brakets etc im pretty sure people have said they sit up high
Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 PM

I'm using Corbeau's brackets in my 4th gen and never noticed the seat sitting high, is it a third gen issue? I know where to find Corbeau's brackets for sale, but I don't want to pay $290 shipped for a pair of double locking Corbeau sliders haha.

Woof! I looked up Wedge brackets... they are even more expensive than the double locking Corbeau brackets from Corbeau direct...

IROCZman15, do you have a link to some instructions on how I can use the factory sliders or have any pictures? This sounds tempting and I have some friends capable of fabricating things. Maybe I can go that route.

Did the T/A Recaro seats just use the same sliders as all the other seats??? I don't want to sacrifice them if they are seat specific. So back to the other question, given their current state, are those factory Recaros worth anything???
Old 10-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
So back to the other question, given their current state, are those factory Recaros worth anything???
Oh no, of course not. Please submit them to me for proper disposal. In all seriousness, yes they're worth 'something' it looks like they need foam and upholstery, which isn't the end of the world. If you want to get rid of them, it shouldn't be difficult. I'd be interested if the price was right.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 PM

The passenger seat is in a little better shape, but I'll have to check tomorrow if the seat belt guide is missing... I figured they are worth something, I just don't know how much.

Do you ever travel to FL? haha I'd hate to see what shipping would be on them!

So this is kind of a funny story, so 8-9 years ago I bought a set of two tone, microsuede Corbeau CR1s from a guy that had a fox body and he decided to go back to a factory style seat. So I got the pair for $450-500 I think, this was quite a long time ago, and I eventually managed to get the pair of fox body Corbeau brackets sold quite a few months later.

Hilariously here it is in 2018, and I decide to find seats for my IROC... I've really enjoyed my Corbeau seats over the last 8 years so off to Craigslist/Facebook I go. I find a pair of two tone, microsuede CR1s, THAT CAME OUT OF A FOX BODY?! Haha deja vu for sure! Same story, this guy was going to a more factory looking seat... Picked them up for $400. I remember looking at the price of $550 they were listed at and that they were up for almost a month, I thought no way they were still available. They were and I offered $400 without the Ford seat brackets, remembering how long it took to dump the brackets last time. Done deal!

So hilariously, both my 4th gen and 3rd gen will have the same seats. I don't think harnesses are slated for the IROC though, I'm planning on no roll bar/harnesses to keep seat adjustment easy, so that my 5'2" wife can reach the pedals...

So seat brackets are $277.91 shipped from Corbeau, and $366.26 shipped from Wedge. Way cheaper from Corbeau, but I'd like to maybe get these Recaros sold then and buy the Corbeau brackets I'm thinking.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: ls3
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

If you are not wanting to modify anything, i would suggest spending the extra and get the wedge brackets. They are 3 inches shorter than the corbeau brackets. My corbeau brackets were 6 inches tall vs the 3 inches that the wedge brackets are, the corbeau brackets just set the seat up too high.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

I did have photos that I took of the brackets I made, but they got lost when photobucket did its upgrade and started charging people for their photo accounts. I did not pay them and instead use flickr, but I never uploaded those specific photos. they are somewhere on my hard drive, and I would have to dig them up.

I used mild steel and bolted the new (not factory) sliders to it, and the seat to the sliders. just took some creativity, but it turned out great and they still work all these years later. my seats are low. the bottom of the seat is probably 1.5" from teh top of the carpet. just how I like em
Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 PM

I didn't pay photobucket either. They still have a free option, at least all of my photos were still there. It still says I've only used 34% of my storage also. Hmm interesting.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:38 AM

Car: 1988 GTA Black notchback
Engine: 1991 L98 355 TWIN Superchagred
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: www.cardomain.com/id/gtafanatic

YES i used my factory sliders. Easy fabbing. Only had to drill 2 holes.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Supreme Member

gtafanatic.... what are your upper seatbelt shoulder-belts connected to? I don't see a roll bar in there unless its the angle of the photo?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 PM

Car: 1988 GTA Black notchback
Engine: 1991 L98 355 TWIN Superchagred
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: www.cardomain.com/id/gtafanatic

Literally put the seat bracket in the same day you ask a question about the sliders. I was still building the roll cage here's an updated photo for you.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:52 PM

Nice on the roll cage! If you have the seat out while working on the cage, do you happen to have any pictures of what you did to make the sliders work with your aftermarket seats?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

FYI, I have CR1s in my car, they are much older than your seats I think though, monochrome red other than the black 'leather' patches. The included bracket did raise up the seats, I'm 6'4", no go. I had the driver's side modified to lower it which has worked since. I think it's been about 15 years or so, wow. Those micro suede covers look great by the way, the only thing I'd change on mine (other than maybe switching the cloth to microsuede or similar) is add in lumbar support. When I first got them I don't remember them being a problem, but now that I'm older, that lack of support does bother me after a while.

Shortly after getting everything sorted out, I heard that 4th gen brackets are bolt in and do not raise the seat. I'd look into that, make sure that's the case, but might eliminate a step in the process.