Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Car has no passenger keys... can I use the rear hatch lock to make keys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: Automatic
Car has no passenger keys... can I use the rear hatch lock to make keys?

So I purchased an amazing ‘92 Camaro Z28 (z03). The car has no rust, is very solid and except for the exhaust, it’s all original. The headliner is sagging (ordered a new one), the dash came cracked (ordering a cover), the right rear speaker is not working (gonna work on that soon), but here is the issue I’m having. The car came with no passenger keys. After checking the trunk, the rear hatch lock was opened. I am able to pop the lock right out of it. Would I be able to take it to a locksmith and have a key made that can open all the doors? Any suggestions would galdly be appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 625 Likes on 526 Posts
Re: Car has no passenger keys... can I use the rear hatch lock to make keys?

I've been through this but not exactly. Someone jammed a screwdriver into the passenger side door lock and destroyed it.
Asking here about rekeying one of the several spares I have, it was suggested to simply purchase new locks. It would be cheaper than a locksmith. I don't have the link handy to my purchase but I do recall it was inexpensive and everything is new. This might he something you want to consider as well.

Last edited by skinny z; 01-18-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cylinder,10007
Old 01-18-2019, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The problem you'll run into, is the trunk lock, t-top locks, glove box lock, etc generally don't have as many tumblers as the door locks. Your best bet is to take one of the door locks to your locksmith and he/she can gauge the tumblers and generate the code to cut a new key. The problem with that approach is the door locks are often very worn, or dirty, and tearing the lock apart to get the code is time consuming, so it's a little more expensive. You might look on the lock body and see if the code is marked on it. If it's not, it's usually easier to replace the door locks with new ones, then have the remaining locks coded to match the new door keys. That way you get new door locks, new keys, and everything matches.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by skinny z
...simply purchase new locks...
Originally Posted by Drew
.. replace the door locks with new ones...
As suggested.

Last edited by skinny z; 01-19-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock

What i did with my 91, is I took the vin number to the chevy dealer. They where able to cut me brand new keys. Cost if I remember right was about 50 dollars.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Formula 350
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by ItalianHunk21
So I purchased an amazing ‘92 Camaro Z28 (z03). The car has no rust, is very solid and except for the exhaust, it’s all original. The headliner is sagging (ordered a new one), the dash came cracked (ordering a cover), the right rear speaker is not working (gonna work on that soon), but here is the issue I’m having. The car came with no passenger keys. After checking the trunk, the rear hatch lock was opened. I am able to pop the lock right out of it. Would I be able to take it to a locksmith and have a key made that can open all the doors? Any suggestions would galdly be appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
If you're slick- you can disassemble the door locks and trunk lock, match the wafers in your door locks to the trunk lock and use the key. The wafers are matched to the code on the lock. It's really not very difficult and the main problem you will have is coming up with the correct wafers to match the trunk. I did this by purchasing old cylinders off of ebay- the key is to figure out what number wafers you're missing for the doors and making sure the lock you order has them. There's a crapload of how to videos on youtube.

Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Go to almost any locksmith shop!
They will make you keys in minutes!
Been there done that!