LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Any interest in ported LS1 or LM7 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none
Re: Any interest in ported LS1 or LM7 heads?

Looks like I'm starting the porting today. Pics soon.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
On Probation

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
On Probation

This was done with a 3/8" oval carbide. The same one I've been using in my SBC porting thread.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM
On Probation

In the above pic you can see a few small spots you might want to grind a bit more, but careful polishing can do it better.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
On Probation

still not perfect, but getting closer.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
On Probation

see, more work, more better.

The short turns are perfect with only light polishing. Just broad sweeping motions. Never holding the tool still in any spot.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
On Probation

That's all for now, because I have to get to the dentist.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350 LSX
Engine: 5.3, 234/228 cam
Transmission: Stage II 4L60e, Vigilante 3200
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Wow, just wow. Those look CLEAN. I'll be saving all these lol, do you mind sharing what tools/bits you used?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
On Probation

If you'd scroll back up to post #53, and actually read what I type above the pic, you'd see I referred you to this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...sbc-heads.html which has all your answers in it, probably starting with post 11.
Thank you for the compliments, but that port still needs another minute of work.

Last edited by Atilla the Fun; 06-08-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Car: 1989 Formula 350 LSX
Engine: 5.3, 234/228 cam
Transmission: Stage II 4L60e, Vigilante 3200
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I was looking for elaboration in this thread is all, I saw the post about the carbide. I just figured if the other thread had all the answer there wouldn't be a need for a new one. The ports just looked really good for only carbide bits.

Who knows, maybe you had a special preference for a certain bit, technique or tool on LS heads. I'll refrain next time.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
On Probation

Posts 52 and 53 were carbide, while 54,55 and 57 were polished. Nearly any carbide will do, so long as it's 3/8" diameter and oval shaped on a 1/4" shank, and about 4" OAL. Cheap Chinese carbides are okay for aluminum, but on iron they dull way too fast. This carbide seems as good so far as what Mondello sells. I hadn't tried COMP's Powerhouse tools division until now, but the prices are fair, the service is excellent, and I'll be giving them more business soon. I'm running low on polishing rolls, and I've damaged my 4" arbor.
The SBC porting thread tells my techniques and some other secrets, it's worth the read.
In this thread, if your practice head isn't as least as good as what you see in post 53, you need to work on your finesse before trying your good heads. Finesse is way easier with iron than aluminum, and having to use lube with aluminum only makes matters worse. So have plenty of shop rags on hand, and plenty of WD-40. With aluminum, you have to stop far more often, to clean away what you just ground, and to spray more lube. When spraying, hold the carbide in front of the work area, and spray both at once. You'll waste, and breathe, less WD40 that way.
Your practice head doesn't have to be like your good heads, Your practice head can be from a Yugo, or even a Ford, for all it matters.

Last edited by Atilla the Fun; 06-08-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
On Probation

BTW, since I only charge $140 for stage one exhaust porting and polishing of aluminum heads, per V8 engine, now is anyone interested in helping me out by buying these? In fact, I'll even give TGO members a special price.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:14 PM
On Probation

No bites, no PMs, so I guess I'll start on the intake ports. I've had a change of heart, I will be posting new results from a flow bench after I finish these, I just can't feel comfortable picking a cam without knowing what the heads want. But before that, I have to get them machined for the 2.00" intake valves. Don't expect to see that in June of 2010.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 TA, 91 B4C
Engine: 5.3, 4.8
Transmission: 4L80 4000, T56
Axle/Gears: 4.30 M12, 23.42 10 bolt

If i dont get a set of pro ported 243s i will be taking the plunge into a set of LS3 heads eventually. The problem you are having is that folks want flow numbers.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM
On Probation

Numbers are worth an extra $1,000 to you? Sounds foolish to me. That is what you have to get TEA heads, which do come with numbers, but they aren't showing you their results, just numbers. If I have to get numbers, I'm gonna have to charge for them, so the $150 port job becomes a $450 port job. Are numbers worth the $300 to you? Still sounds foolish to me. My results at the dragstrip are why locals bring me heads and don't worry about numbers.
Flow benches are to be praised only for bringing us Vortec heads. flow benches should've stayed at the OEM level, not brought to enthusiasts, they're just a curse. If you want to race flow-bench numbers, get a vid of it, post the vid on you-tube, then post us a link.

Last edited by Atilla the Fun; 06-13-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

I didnt say snything about me. I am just telling you like it is. You can hurt a heads flow more than help it if you are not flowing between doing one thing and another. Nt to mention, we are not talking about a old school head. LS1 heads can flow up top pretty good but that has squat to do with helping a LS engine with certain intakes. The stock LS1 intake lops off air flow at 260 i believe, so if you flow 300 at 600 lift, it doesnt help as much as a set of heads that flow 260 at 50o lift. Max flow at max lift is meaning less unless you have a victor jr, super victor, hogans, ect. Even then, the guys that tun them wit EFI and use the elbow cut back flow again with nearly no results.

Not to many folks are looking into gaining performance without knowing what the parts they use are capable of. I flowed mine to see where i got, i wish i could have done it step by step but i only did a before and after, would have done better if i could have measured every change.

Just FYI.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
On Probation

"You can hurt a heads flow more than help it if you are not flowing between doing one thing and another." "would have done better if i could have measured every change."
Nope. Close, but erroneous. Going to the bench only tells you that what you did helped or hurt, but if it hurt, then the damage is already done before you even put the head on the bench and find that out.
Also, a thing that hurts a head if done by itself sometimes gives even better results when combined with something else. So the end result's wet flow and swirl are the only 2 things that really matter. Not the mid-process dry flow numbers.
The rest of what you typed is old news to everyone, and has nothing to do with what I WAS offering: exhaust only, for nitrous or blower combos.
The only 4 facts that mattered were these: (1) Do ANY of you guys really appreciate all the knowledge I've given on TGO. Apparently not. (2) do you honestly believe you, (whoever you are, not any particular individual, but anyone reading this) can do as well as what I just showed? For 99% of you, the fact is: NO. (3) If you can, can you do so for that price? Unless you already own all the parts and equipment. no. (4) Can there be any doubt that my improvement is worth it? Well, people are capable of the wildest thinking, but MY results ARE worth FAR more than what I ask.
If you disagree, please be adult enough to respect my wishes and post it somewhere else. I've done you no wrong, so don't badmouth anything I type. I'd hate to have to ask five7kid to delete your post, but I can, and he often will. I'm dying of cancer, I don't need the stress of you mean people hurting my feelings by hurling bad opinion at my facts. Facts, by the way, can be independently verified. I'm giving you info that you'd otherwise have to pay hundreds of dollars for, so show a little appreciation. If you can't type something kind, don't type anything. Your role here is student, mine is teacher. If you think something I typed was unkind, then either you attacked me first, or you typed something erroneous.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: SOLD!!!!!

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun
"You can hurt a heads flow more than help it if you are not flowing between doing one thing and another." "would have done better if i could have measured every change."
Nope. Close, but erroneous. Going to the bench only tells you that what you did helped or hurt, but if it hurt, then the damage is already done before you even put the head on the bench and find that out.
Also, a thing that hurts a head if done by itself sometimes gives even better results when combined with something else. So the end result's wet flow and swirl are the only 2 things that really matter. Not the mid-process dry flow numbers.
The rest of what you typed is old news to everyone, and has nothing to do with what I WAS offering: exhaust only, for nitrous or blower combos.
The only 4 facts that mattered were these: (1) Do ANY of you guys really appreciate all the knowledge I've given on TGO. Apparently not. (2) do you honestly believe you, (whoever you are, not any particular individual, but anyone reading this) can do as well as what I just showed? For 99% of you, the fact is: NO. (3) If you can, can you do so for that price? Unless you already own all the parts and equipment. no. (4) Can there be any doubt that my improvement is worth it? Well, people are capable of the wildest thinking, but MY results ARE worth FAR more than what I ask.
If you disagree, please be adult enough to respect my wishes and post it somewhere else. I've done you no wrong, so don't badmouth anything I type. I'd hate to have to ask five7kid to delete your post, but I can, and he often will. I'm dying of cancer, I don't need the stress of you mean people hurting my feelings by hurling bad opinion at my facts. Facts, by the way, can be independently verified. I'm giving you info that you'd otherwise have to pay hundreds of dollars for, so show a little appreciation. If you can't type something kind, don't type anything. Your role here is student, mine is teacher. If you think something I typed was unkind, then either you attacked me first, or you typed something erroneous.

A M E N!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun

Well, the work you did looks solid, and pretty close to professional. I like it and wish i had more patience to make my work look like that. I have, but i dont desire to grind and then polish and polish...my hand gets cold from the compressor, LOL.

As far as negativity towards you, didnt mean any at all, i was just giving my opinion as to why no one wanted to bite in your price and work. Sorry i unintentionally got in your feelings.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: SOLD!!!!!

hey zone he can port heads. mine will be done by hm and no one else. what needs to be said is that it is an opinion instead of an attack. this is going to be a deal where we all want to have our opinions realized. but we also have to realize that he has been doing this longer than most f us have been alive. he is right. numbers are the achilles heal. dyno is nothing to me but a tuning tool. hp numbers which we all know can be inflated to be what we want. the track is where it is at. dude i know you know that.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, the work you did looks solid, and pretty close to professional. I like it and wish i had more patience to make my work look like that. I have, but i dont desire to grind and then polish and polish...my hand gets cold from the compressor, LOL.

As far as negativity towards you, didnt mean any at all, i was just giving my opinion as to why no one wanted to bite in your price and work. Sorry i unintentionally got in your feelings.
Thank you for this much-more-friendly post. I appreciate it. I apologize if I was taking you wrong or over-reacting. Sometimes I find it difficult to discern.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
On Probation

Okay, starting on the intake ports. Be aware that the 5.3 heads are valve-limited on the intake side, so there's little point in what you're about to see, unless you follow up with 2.00" intake valves. Also, I ran out of WD40, so I had to stop before I even got the first intake port done.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
On Probation

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM
On Probation

Those 2 just above are what you'll see before you start grinding.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
On Probation

Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
On Probation

Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
On Probation

Notice I broke through into the rocker bolt area. This is NOT cause for concern. Don't be afraid to do the same.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
On Probation

Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 AM
On Probation

you'll do 95% of the rocker bosses from this end, NOT through the valve seat
Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
On Probation

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
On Probation

This is exactly where / when I ran out of WD40
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
On Probation

More pics soon, showing a properly finished intake port. Because this sure isn't it. Do not get ahead of me, I still need to show you what to do with the break-through.

Last edited by Atilla the Fun; 06-14-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

So your work on the intake looks just like mine at this point. I hate how they cast the rocker stud the way they sis, they could have done a better job i think. Are you using a iron carbide or the aluminum carbide? I have both and use the aluminum bit for the majority removal and the iron for the finer, less dramatic and final touches before polishing. I hate how i have to clean the iron bits every couple minutes to get rid of the aluminum but that was before i got the aluminum carbides.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by one92rs
hey zone he can port heads. mine will be done by hm and no one else. what needs to be said is that it is an opinion instead of an attack. this is going to be a deal where we all want to have our opinions realized. but we also have to realize that he has been doing this longer than most f us have been alive. he is right. numbers are the achilles heal. dyno is nothing to me but a tuning tool. hp numbers which we all know can be inflated to be what we want. the track is where it is at. dude i know you know that.

True but flow numbers do help to make a given setup have better matched up parts, like cam selection, ect. Mine is a prime example, i did a quick port job and the cam i used would LOVE a higher flowing head with a smaller chamber, but i did what funds allowed.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
On Probation

If you're having to clean your carbide, you're being too stingy with the WD40. I've yet to find any 3/8" carbides fluted for aluminum, and 1/2" is just too big. Especially for LSx heads.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Well, it was the small round one, was nice till it broke into a couple pieces, the others i have work ok for getting some quick amounts out but then i still back down to the fines bits for the better control.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 94 lt1 modded
Transmission: t 56

I'm interested in checking this out. Thanks for the tutorial. I read one on lt1 heads on z28.com and ported my first set of lt1 heads 9 years ago. I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.
Kory
Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
On Probation

I'll be resuming these in a couple of days.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM
On Probation

This morning I started grinding on these, , and I was doing the exhaust guide bosses. I'd gotten 2 done when my air compressor made a pop and then a continuous whistle. . Turned out to be a minor issue I can remedy.
So, I am a little closer to getting these ready for the flow bench, , but now I have to go to town , for some epoxy to fix my air compressor. Again.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM
On Probation

Update. I decided to try taking it a bit farther. Ultimately, it'll be up to the flow bench to determine which is best. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Looks pretty damn good man.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
On Probation

Thanks. I just didn't like what we see in post 55 above. I thought I could do better. Still need to finish-polish the new shape a wee bit more. Been busy doing the intake manifold for my Vortec 4.3
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
On Probation

Intake port is done! Not perfect, but I'm not doing anything else to it until I get some numbers from the flow bench. Pics sometime between now and Monday.
I'm not even gonna epoxy the rocker stud hole. Just put a stud in there. I'll do the epoxying while the head is on the flow bench, then do pics later.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
On Probation

Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM
On Probation

Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Still not make it to the flow bench yet?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 PM
On Probation

Sadly, no. Probably not this month, either. Sorry.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

What are brand new fully assembled LS-1 heads worth, I think they are 241 castings?

I have a brand new set that I will be selling.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 AM
On Probation

Unfortunately for you, them being new doesn't add much to their value. These are selling for $150/pr., used, in www.ls1tech.com's classifieds. I suggest that you can't seriously hope for more than $250 for them.
Why sell them? You may as well use them.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

They are on my brand new crate motor. I'm probably going to get a set of 243's for it and will have the brand new 241's for sale.. and that's if I don't sell the whole new motor and save up the rest for a LS-3

Quick Reply: Any interest in ported LS1 or LM7 heads?