LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS1 swap for my '89 GTA

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: Tick Stage 2 T56
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: LS1 swap for my '89 GTA

Wow great thread. are you satisfied with the fat mat? I'm thinking of doing that to my Camaro.

-Ben
Old 02-15-2015, 04:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by dprest68
The buttons on the other side looked like grated Parmesan Cheese! It made me hungry for spaghetti.
Hey, you need to try that. Tastes great!
Fed my motor crumbs to the pigeons and they were also quite satisfied at the time.
Haven't seen them in a while, though

Don't forget to seal the housings up with some body or weatherstrip sealant.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: cammed LS1
Transmission: Monster SS 4L65E
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi w/ 3.70 gears

Originally Posted by SsBenj
Wow great thread. are you satisfied with the fat mat? I'm thinking of doing that to my Camaro.

-Ben
Thanks Ben! Yeah, the Fatmat was a great investment. It took quite awhile to install it in the car the way I wanted it, but it made a huge difference. The noise level in my car now is really low and I can barely hear my exhaust now. And my exhaust is fairly loud in my opinion. If you do it you won't regret it.

Originally Posted by NCC-2569
Hey, you need to try that. Tastes great!
Fed my motor crumbs to the pigeons and they were also quite satisfied at the time.
Haven't seen them in a while, though

Don't forget to seal the housings up with some body or weatherstrip sealant.
Antony, you crack me up!

There were new gaskets in the kit, so we just used those to seal everything up. Hopefully that will be adequate.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM

Car: 1988 firebird trans am GTA
Engine: 5.7L w/hsr
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: posi 3.23

Excellent thread man, I'm just beginning the process myself. I will be picking my ls1 short block (forged rods/pistons) up from the shop in the next few days and have started acquiring parts for the impending transplant. While I'm aiming for more of a utilitarian GTA instead of a show car the work you put in and pictures you shared were a hell of an inspiration for me. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by thunder85
Excellent thread man, I'm just beginning the process myself. I will be picking my ls1 short block (forged rods/pistons) up from the shop in the next few days and have started acquiring parts for the impending transplant. While I'm aiming for more of a utilitarian GTA instead of a show car the work you put in and pictures you shared were a hell of an inspiration for me. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Thunder! Glad I could help. Are you planning on starting a build thread for yours? I would like to follow along if you are.

What all did you have done to the engine? There's definitely nothing wrong with utilitarian. You will love it once it's done. I feel like I am driving a new car now that mine is pretty close to done. Good luck with your swap.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
I was thinking the same thing, Dave. Another Florida gathering would be nice. Are you thinking Lakeland? Perhaps Fantasy of Flight would be willing to accommodate us.
I guess we could all just meet up at this instead. https://www.facebook.com/events/1421273338166633. What do you think?

Last edited by dprest68; 02-25-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

I guess we could all just meet up at this instead. https://www.facebook.com/events/1421273338166633. What do you think?
Yes, great idea. That event would probably pull more cars than we could come up with. I'll be there.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

I finally did my first oil change after my swap this past weekend. I am guessing I have over 500 miles on it by now. I need to get my odometer fixed. The oil was black, but I expected that. And there were some fine metal particles that came out of the filter when I dumped the oil out of it, but I expected that too. The only thing that threw me off a little was the sludge on the end of the drain plug.
Name:  IMG_3426_zpscyufg9rk.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  63.1 KB
I cleaned half of the sludge off of it before I took this picture, There were no clunks of metal in it or anything. It was just sludge. I am assuming it was from when I got coolant down in there from my head gasket problem. I didn't find any other traces of sludge in the oil that came out of it, so I think what little bit of coolant that was left in there just settled down at the plug.

I also removed the air filter, cleaned it and oiled it with some blue oil to match the car better.
Name:  IMG_3431_zpsdhrodnxf.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  128.0 KB
I didn't think the filter was that dirty until I started cleaning it. I guess I am going to have to clean it pretty frequently with the ram air set-up.

The stereo system is now back in the car too and sounds awesome. I will post some more pics for that later. I also snapped some pictures for a GM Weather-Pack connector tutorial in case any of you would like to try using these cool weatherproof quick disconnect connectors for your wiring harness.
Name:  IMG_3433_zpsqcua7ywi.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  191.0 KB
Here's the Weather-Pack connector for the power wires for the amps.

Name:  IMG_3457_zpsfhikyhdd.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  80.1 KB
I used the Weather-Pack connectors to make it easier to remove my amp tray from my car. I think it turned out pretty nice. This is the backside of the amp tray. All of my wires are hidden.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
Yes, great idea. That event would probably pull more cars than we could come up with. I'll be there.
That's true Jim. I will put it on my calendar as well. Maybe Jason (JaysZ28) will join us too. Are you in Jason? I may even talk Luis into going.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I clicked on the link and it said the content was unavailable or something like that

besides, my car is down for a bit....... damn fire
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
I clicked on the link and it said the content was unavailable or something like that

Hmmm, that's odd. Luis said he had the same problem. You may have to be a member to view it, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's the 1st Annual FLCFA (Florida Camaro & Firebird Association) Anniversary Party at Fort DeSoto Park in St. Pete on April 19th from 10am to 5pm. The only slight problem that I found is it's for members only, but it's free to join on FB. Here's a link https://www.facebook.com/groups/flcfa/

Did you have a fire Jason?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

FIRE?!? Didn't know about that. Sorry to hear. Definitely sets the mood back after putting so much work into it as you have.

Hmmm, that's odd. Luis said he had the same problem. You may have to be a member to view it, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's the 1st Annual FLCFA (Florida Camaro & Firebird Association) Anniversary Party at Fort DeSoto Park in St. Pete on April 19th from 10am to 5pm. The only slight problem that I found is it's for members only, but it's free to join on FB. Here's a link https://www.facebook.com/groups/flcfa/

Did you have a fire Jason?
I had the same problem with it saying content was unavailable. I had to login to view it.

I am a member of the facebook group and although I've never done anything with them, I've known some of them for years. Actually knew most of them from the first Florida Camaro & Firebird Association(FLCFA) before it disbanded.

I'm sure they won't mind if others show up uninvited. Knowing these guys, the more...the merrier. With that said, bring your own food/drinks.

Last edited by CharcoalBird; 02-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:55 AM
Supreme Member

I will put in for the time off from work

I *might* have the car fixed by then. It isn't a priority

the clutch line split open, and a small fire started from the brake fluid spraying onto the header...... thankfully home depot has fire extinguishers at every entrance.....
Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

and I got the time off of work!!!!

now I just got to fix the car..... grrrrrrr
Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Hey, could you post your fuse box setup...
Old 04-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

I will put in for the time off from work

I *might* have the car fixed by then. It isn't a priority

the clutch line split open, and a small fire started from the brake fluid spraying onto the header...... thankfully home depot has fire extinguishers at every entrance.....
I'm glad your fire wasn't anything too major

and I got the time off of work!!!!

now I just got to fix the car..... grrrrrrr
Are you done yet? lol

Originally Posted by Yves89GTA
Hey, could you post your fuse box setup...
My fuse box set-up remains stock. I didn't change anything on that. The only thing I added to the electrical system was a junction block for all of the hot wires under the hood.
Name:  IMG_1756_zps667ea866.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  130.5 KB
on the right side of the picture
Old 04-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Supreme Member

I was planning on taking the car to a show a few weeks ago with Luis. We got half way there and realized the alternator wasn't charging. So we turned around and headed back home. Luckily I had replaced the back battery with a new Kinetics 1200 battery so at least we had plenty of juice to get back. I have been trying to figure out this alternator issue for awhile now. Best I can tell, once it gets hot, it stop charging. Once you let it cool down, it will start charging again. I took the alternator off the car two weeks ago and took it over to Autozone to have it tested. It tested just fine. So, instead of continuing to deal with the unreliable alternator, I decided to call Summit and have them send me a new high output Power Master unit. I still haven't finished getting it back in the car yet, but hopefully I will have no more issues with it. I also bought a 6 gauge cable to run from the new alternator to the junction block. I think that will help too. And the front battery has since been removed from the car. That frees up around 35 pounds off the front end.

I now have what I need to get my a/c hoses made to get my a/c working. I just need to get the car back together and get it over to the mechanic so that he can get it made. It will be getting hot here soon, so that is becoming a priority.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 AM

are you using the original fuse box from you car? or the one from the ls1 harness???
Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 AM

I guess "testing" the alternator only includes checking input and output over a given period of time, but not putting the bearings under load and surely not adding heat to the equation.
Probably some weak soldered connections in there.

Would have gotten a new one, too, or a repair kit if available.

Should work for you now
Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

are you using the original fuse box from you car? or the one from the ls1 harness???
Yeah, it's the original fuse box from the car, not the LS1 harness.

I guess "testing" the alternator only includes checking input and output over a given period of time, but not putting the bearings under load and surely not adding heat to the equation.
Probably some weak soldered connections in there.

Would have gotten a new one, too, or a repair kit if available.

Should work for you now
You're right Antony. After they tested it, they said "it works fine." I said "the Hell it does!" lol. I told them to run it on their machine for another 15 minutes and see what happens. They weren't interested in doing that for me for some reason. So maybe one day I will take it over to a shop and have them fix it just to have a back-up.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2014 Z28 #80

All the testing machine does is test the output to see if it falls within the set specifications. Used to work at O'reilly, so I speak from experience. It'll pass it even if the bearings are shot and squealing. Can't make the machine run for that long, unfortunately, as it's pre-programmed to run only until peak voltage/amperage is achieved.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 PM

So what was the issue for the car not starting???

Luis and I went over to the exhaust shop last Friday to pick-up my car. The exhaust system turned-out great, but the guy didn't leave the car up on the lift for me like he said he would. So I was unable to get pics of the exhaust with the car up in the air. Here are two of the final pics

Everything looks good except for where he had to cross the cross member. It's the best we could come up with without having to do some custom fabrication. I will drive it for awhile to see if I have any problems with it.

He welded the two tail pipes on to the muffler and got them aligned perfectly. And we left two of the band clamps on the pipe over the axle in case the fuel tank needs to be removed again.

So there is more to this story... They had moved the car out of their garage and it was sitting outside. So we went out there to hear the new exhaust and the car wouldn't start. Just my luck! They took the car back inside and checked a few things. It turns out that the starter relay wasn't getting energized. So we assumed that the starter relay had gone bad. So we drove around to a few of the local parts stores looking for a new relay. Of course no one had one. So we went back to my house and pulled the relay off of the red '89. We were pretty sure that relay worked since we had recently turned that engine over. With that relay and a few tools, we went back to the exhaust shop. I plugged that relay in and it still wouldn't turn the engine over. At this point we decided to take the relays over to NAPA to have them tested. The test showed that they were both working fine. Tired and ready to throw in the towel, we headed back over to the exhaust shop again. This time I removed the relay all together and just used a jumper to start the car so that we could get it over to the tire shop to have the alignment done.

Here's the location of the starter relay

And here's the jumper wire installed

Once we finally got the car back home at around 5pm, keeping in mind that we started this little adventure at 9am, Luis removed the park/nuetral safety switch and proceeded to refurbish it. I installed two different other spare P/N switches that I had laying around while he was doing that. None of them solved the problem. So, knowing that neither the relay nor the P/N switch is the problem, we have no idea what the problem actually is. Maybe the ignition switch or the wiring? Any ideas? I don't know enough about the wiring inside the car to know what to look for.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by R13_Braz
All the testing machine does is test the output to see if it falls within the set specifications. Used to work at O'reilly, so I speak from experience. It'll pass it even if the bearings are shot and squealing. Can't make the machine run for that long, unfortunately, as it's pre-programmed to run only until peak voltage/amperage is achieved.
Thanks for the insight. I had a feeling it was something like that.

So what was the issue for the car not starting???
I never did figure it out. I suspect it has something to do with VATS though. I ran the jumper wires over to a switch and I am using it as an anti-theft device now.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Back from the dead! Here are a few glamour shots. I will post an update here soon.

Name:  12115885_662965577172760_4126783161954389498_n_zps90nrrujd.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  11138548_587923648010287_7944471487770348499_n_zpsbbyzqzq9.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  10616103_530362120433107_5162115240301891321_n_zpseszpogqk.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  126.5 KB
Old 01-19-2017, 05:48 AM
Supreme Member

back from almost a 2 yr hiatus huh???

glad to see it out and about!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Supreme Member

back from almost a 2 yr hiatus huh???

glad to see it out and about!
Hey Jason! Yeah, the transmission stopped shifting into OD, then it went down a cylinder, so I got irritated and just let it sit in the garage until recently. I have been really busy with work though, so that's part of it. Still trying to figure out those two issues. Luis & I have been troubleshooting it, but no luck so far. The exhaust manifold temperature on the number 7 cylinder is only about half of what the other cylinders are. And it's getting spark & fuel, so we're at a loss. We also checked around the engine with a stethoscope & nothing sounded out of the ordinary. I'm just going to take it over to the mechanic & let him figure it out! lol. I may contact the tuner to see if he has any ideas.

How's it going with your ride?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

The rubber seals on my A-pillar mouldings were quite tired so I replaced them with new 36" long door sweep rubber seals that I picked up from the hardware store. The rubber seal at the top of the pic is the worn out original. The piece in the middle with the blue stripe is the amount that was cut off. You can see the new seal on the moulding beside the cut-off piece.
Name:  IMG_20170119_014333269_zpsx6rlgg2g.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  231.8 KB

I had to buy new clips from the autoparts store. The original ones broke upon removal from the car.
Name:  IMG_20170119_015435355_zpsx9nv6rpl.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  273.1 KB

A-pillar Moulding installed. You can see the Bluetooth speaker & new dash pad speaker grills installed as well.
Name:  IMG_20170119_014442004_zpsanx415is.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  141.5 KB

You can kind of see the A-pillar moulding seal in this pic
Name:  IMG_20170119_014532651_zpsc5oveqfe.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  208.9 KB

Last edited by dprest68; 01-19-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Finally got the driver's side kick panel installed. What a pain the rear.
Name:  IMG_20170119_014409559_zpshmhdk2j5.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  241.2 KB
Actually, the only thing that was difficult about it was getting that screw in the middle of the panel installed. There are quite a few wires behind this panel and you have to make sure you aren't drilling into any of them. I stuffed the area behind the speaker with Polyfil before I buttoned it up. The system sounds awesome. It just sucks that this kick panel sticks out so far since that is usually where I rest my left foot when I'm driving. Oh the sacrifices we make! lol
Old 01-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

The rear hatch motor has been slowing down, so I replaced it with a fixed unit.
Name:  IMG_20170119_014800695_zpshq4bfmbe.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  233.1 KB
Upon inspection after removal, the guides on the original unit are looking a bit tired. Everything else looked fine on it. Maybe one day I will put new guides on it and put it back in the car if I get bored.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

On to the engine bay...

I had the mechanic build a new A/C hose for it the last time I had it in the shop. He still has to build the other hose that goes up to the condenser. I guess he screwed up the fitting he needed to build that hose. Crap happens I guess. lol
Name:  IMG_20170119_014647846_zpsijrgdu87.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  233.9 KB

Finally figured out the belt squeal issue. the belt tensioner pulley was on backwards. Yes, backwards! lol. One side had a fatter lip that rides beside the belt. because it was on backwards it was actually rubbing the tensioner itself.
Name:  IMG_20170119_014619328_zpsiqnpz6lo.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  176.1 KB
Thanks Luis for figuring that one out. Not even the mechanic could figure that one out.

Last, but not least, we finally got the throttle to go wide open when pushing the go pedal to the floor.
Name:  IMG_20170119_014603367_zpsvd65accj.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  192.7 KB
We added this spacer where the cable connects to the bracket. If you notice there's a triangle on the spacer. It's actually an old hazard button that Luis cut down to the size we needed. Then he cut a section out of it so we could slide it into place without disassembling the cable from the throttle body. It basically made the spacer like a U shape. I'm expecting another 100 horsepower out of it now!

Last edited by dprest68; 01-19-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:31 AM

Well, look who's hyperactive!

Nice idea using that door sweep thing for the a pillar. Gonna look into that myself some time, as that dry, cracked seal kinda sucks.

There goes Luis, once again, lol. Neat little ******* spacer!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Nice idea using that door sweep thing for the a pillar. Gonna look into that myself some time, as that dry, cracked seal kinda sucks.

There goes Luis, once again, lol. Neat little ******* spacer!
Thanks Antony. I thought it was a good idea too. Hopefully the adhesive on the rubber is good enough to keep it attached the the moulding for many years to come.

Yeah Luis came across one of my old hazard buttons. He's like "hey, let's use that". I'm like "go for it!"
Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Took the car over to the mechanic today. He checked all of the same stuff that Luis & I checked and came to the same conclusion ...that the #7 cylinder was misfiring. Upon doing a compression check, he found that the cylinder was only producing about half what the other cylinders were. He pulled the valve cover on that side to find the intake rocker arm off to the side of the valve and the lock nut had loosened. He put it back together and tightened down the locking nut. And guess what... it broke, just like the other one did back when I was having the car tuned originally. The original locking nuts had a reduced size head on them with a groove below that. Both broke where that groove is because that is where the metal is the thinnest. The new nuts have a larger hex head and no groove. I decided I needed to contact Comp Cams about this issue to get a full set of all new lock nuts. While discussing this with the guy in the warranty department, he told me that they haven't had this problem with these nuts before. He said I need to have the valve train geometry checked. It sounded to him like I may be having coil bind that is overstressing my nuts. HEY... get your mind out of the gutter! So I am going to have the mechanic check to see if the pushrods are the correct length and get that corrected if they aren't. I told him I had a pretty mild cam and he said if the pushrods aren't the correct length it could still be binding the valve springs. So we'll see what happens. I figured all of the nuts may be stressed and I don't want to have this problem again. That's why I decided to buy all new nuts. And they gave me a decent discount too, so that was nice. I'm just glad it was something this simple and not something wrong with the engine!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

Is it me or front ride height is higher than the rear ?

Yea sounds like geometry is jack up did you out pushrods stock length or measured them most cam company recommend a certain x length but highly recommend to measure as each engine is different but with valve train geometry and stability power can be gain or lose with poor setup

Lucky it's easy fix that would have me shittin bricks lol

Nice pics tho

Last edited by Zach/90\irocZ; 01-26-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ
Is it me or front ride height is higher than the rear ?

Yea sounds like geometry is jack up did you out pushrods stock length or measured them most cam company recommend a certain x length but highly recommend to measure as each engine is different but with valve train geometry and stability power can be gain or lose with poor setup

Lucky it's easy fix that would have me shittin bricks lol

Nice pics tho
Thanks Zach. Yes, you are correct. The front end is setting a touch higher than the rear. I'm not sure if the front springs have settled fully yet. The car still has less than 500 miles on it. I figured I would leave it that way until around a 1000 miles, then get the front end realigned. I will adjust the rear height if need be at that point.

As far as the pushrods go, I remember checking the length when I assembled the engine, but I don't remember much more than that. That was like 6 years ago! Heck, I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday! lol. I am going to have them checked to make sure the lengths are correct for sure. I don't want to have this problem again.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Pushrod nuts. Wow. Seems so insignificant and then this.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:52 AM
Supreme Member

Ahhh OK sweet lol yes should settle then takes more time since lighter engine combo as well

Yea I forget my keys everyday or which pocket I out them in lmao always the little things that turn to big headaches

Thanks Zach. Yes, you are correct. The front end is setting a touch higher than the rear. I'm not sure if the front springs have settled fully yet. The car still has less than 500 miles on it. I figured I would leave it that way until around a 1000 miles, then get the front end realigned. I will adjust the rear height if need be at that point.

As far as the pushrods go, I remember checking the length when I assembled the engine, but I don't remember much more than that. That was like 6 years ago! Heck, I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday! lol. I am going to have them checked to make sure the lengths are correct for sure. I don't want to have this problem again.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Finally got the car running last week the way it should have been running all along. And the rest of the new rocker arm nuts came in over the weekend. So I will take it over to the mechanic towards the end of the week to get that taken care of along with a few other things.

I have had my eye on this rearend for the car. Maybe one day. It's pretty pricey though.
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/heid...ar-suspension/
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Why are you paying somebody to torque a few bolts?
If you do it yourself then you can double check pushrod length as well. It is very easy and might settle your mind about a few things.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

Dave, do you still have a 10 bolt in that car? I'm glad to see you and Luis are still working on cars, I miss reading his threads, super attention to detail.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Why are you paying somebody to torque a few bolts?
If you do it yourself then you can double check pushrod length as well. It is very easy and might settle your mind about a few things.
I need to take it in to have a few other things looked at too. I know it sounds silly. I just don't have time to deal with it during the week and I wanted to take it to a show on Saturday morning. If I decide not to go to the show Saturday, then I probably will do it myself. Thanks for looking out for me

Originally Posted by khulsebus
Dave, do you still have a 10 bolt in that car? I'm glad to see you and Luis are still working on cars, I miss reading his threads, super attention to detail.
Nope, my car has the BW 9 bolt M78 in it... for now. Yep, he was always very informative in his threads.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

9 bolt, 10 bolt..... Same thing. I purchased a new 9 inch last summer, I felt like I was gambling with the old 10 bolt.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Finally got the car running last week the way it should have been running all along. And the rest of the new rocker arm nuts came in over the weekend. So I will take it over to the mechanic towards the end of the week to get that taken care of along with a few other things.

I have had my eye on this rearend for the car. Maybe one day. It's pretty pricey though.
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/heid...ar-suspension/
It is pricy think a hawks 8.8 be more bang for buck unless you want the independent rear wow factor
Old 02-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by khulsebus
9 bolt, 10 bolt..... Same thing. I purchased a new 9 inch last summer, I felt like I was gambling with the old 10 bolt.
Yep, I have the exact same feeling. Like I'm really pushing my luck expecting the stock rearend to hold up to the new power levels. I know the 9 bolts were a bit stronger than the 10 bolts, but I still feel like it could check out at any time and leave me stranded on the side of the road.

It is pricy think a hawks 8.8 be more bang for buck unless you want the independent rear wow factor
I have actually been considering an 8.8. If I recall correctly though, it didn't seem like they were much cheaper than the 9", 12 bolt or S60. So yeah, I'm just going to have to weigh all of my options. I know the IRS has some performance benefits over the straight axles, but the cost is a major factor.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Well 8.8 diy will save you but from hawks not much diff from 9" 12 or s60

But at the same time iirc from a article 8.8 took less power to run vs the others all are pretty strong and seen all take heavy abuse manual cars so can go wrong with either one

Heidits is sure nice but for street car think it's a bit much a road racer scca autocross etc be worth the time and effort but properly tuned rear can perform just as well but then again I'm poor lol I'm sure if I had money to blow I would get

Detroit speed rear end setup is pretty cool also

Last edited by Zach/90\irocZ; 02-05-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Detroit speed rear end setup is pretty cool also
Yeah, I looked at that set-up yesterday. It's a pretty cool setup. Sucks that you have to do metal work to install it though and you may not be able to put the back seats back in the car.

Looking on their site though I found this setup that I might have to switch over to for the front of my car to get the ride height the way I want it if the springs don't settle anymore.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1982-19...-jack-kit.html
It's a bit pricey, but I think it's well worth it to be able to adjust the ride height exactly the way you want it.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Yea but can modify rear seats lol

Why not get weight jack setup I ran weight jack with Koni and stock shocks and kyb and really brought it to another level with spring rates I got

But I don't know I still favor the live rear axle setup all my other cars have independent rear handle well but still like the live rear axle on Camaro

Yea there front is coilovers setup

Yeah, I looked at that set-up yesterday.
It's a pretty cool setup. Sucks that you have to do metal work to install it though and you may not be able to put the back seats back in the car.

Looking on their site though I found this setup that I might have to switch over to for the front of my car to get the ride height the way I want it if the springs don't settle anymore.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1982-19...-jack-kit.html
It's a bit pricey, but I think it's well worth it to be able to adjust the ride height exactly the way you want it.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Been making some progress here lately with the car. I got the shifter linkage adjusted so that I can now pull the shifter all the way back to first gear which also made it so that my back-up lights stay on when in reverse instead of flickering like they used to do. The A/C system is now fully charged, but doesn't work yet. There is a short in the system somewhere that will need to be tracked down. It blows the fuse when you turn the system on. I also ended up putting a new battery in the car. I can now drive the car without having to worry about reliability issues. The most recent development is the rear end gear started singing. A couple people that I talked to said it happens sometimes. So I am looking at replacing the stock gear with a new 3.70:1 gearset from Motive Gear. The fun never ends!
Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Got the door panels back on the car so that it would be more presentable at car shows.
Name:  IMG_20170320_014259798_zpsekirnjpe.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  184.6 KB
I cleaned the carpeted area of the door panels real good then pulled tight and re-stapled the door pocket elastic bands. It looks much better now. I put the stock top plates back on the door panels, but I am going to order new ones from Hawks. Once those come in I will put the visqueen water shields back on the doors when I take the panels back off.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Next up, Luis & I are tackling the headliner
Name:  IMG_20170416_145346250_zpswa8vunmz.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  259.0 KB
As you can see, the last person that recovered it did a pretty crappy job. We're working on removing the old headliner material then we are going to use fiberglass to strengthen the stock fiberboard. It's in pretty rough shape as you can see...
Name:  IMG_20170416_145420624_zpsjpypsbzf.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  207.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20170416_145434369_zpsxudivis8.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20170416_152616049_zps3tfyggxw.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  247.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20170416_152537521_zpsv656dy0u.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  199.4 KB
To start with we are going to fiberglass the broken & cracked areas. We will eventually do the entire board so that there will be no weak areas that can crack again. We are going to put a thin sheet of aluminum in the fiberglass where the visors mount since that is a high stress area for the fiberboard. I think we also have come up with a good way to reinstall the stock mounting clips at the front of the headliner. Stay tuned...

I did buy an ABS headliner for the car a while back, but decided not to use it since it kind of looked cheap & it doesn't fit all that great.

Last edited by dprest68; 04-18-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap for my '89 GTA