LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Spending money too fast....LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:48 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: Spending money too fast....LS swap

Originally Posted by randallp504
Sounds like you have seen both sides. What is desirable about 4th vs 3rd in your opinion?
4th gen is lower pedal position (closer in line with brake pedal), shorter throw, has a proper pedal stop instead of just going to floor, spring assist for holding in traffic, and the pin matches the Tick master cylinder for fit.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by randallp504
Is there anything I can sell to recoup some money?
Entirely pointless question when you follow it saying you're keeping everything.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

yea I seen for those prices but the go quick and or need to be rebuilt , cali in general the car scene is very active and lsx stuff and t56 are always in demand had a guy make a 4 hour drive for a engine I built , a lot of stuff I been seeing has low mileage and or rebuilt but I assure those price ranges its hard to find don't come often and or sell quickly 1800ish is about the average give or take hundred

Chicago and surrounding areas car scene is seasonal build winter drive summer vs year round

Originally Posted by Tibo
When I lived in Chicago, central Illinois, and now the Las Vegas region I can find LT1 T56 for 800-1200. LS T56 are about the same but with all of the variations it can take longer to find the correct variation. Surprising that they command that much in California.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:16 PM
COTM Editor

I think the emissions laws in California also create a situation where everybody is after the same late model parts for engine swap into older cars, whereas a lot of other regions can pick parts from across a wider range of sources because Big Government isn't scrutinizing them.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

true I get away with it because I'm Florida resident and get to get Florida registration since I'm Active Duty Navy but that's true statement if making smog legal swap which is hard and very dependent on the ref if he is cool or not a lot of swap are illegal ones and get hook ups on smog and or are aka racecar very few are smog legal its easier to a swap in a 50 60s and 70s style care due to more room to properly install emissions stuff and a e rod makes it even more easier

but any diesel vhicle 97 and older are exempt
and gas 75 and older are smog exempt so can swap anything in those

ls1 drop outs can be found for cheap tho usually around 2300 for t56 dropout and lesser for auto depending on mileage but the shift to ls1 so price are high but our now going down as the shift to 6.0+ blocks ls3 lq9 lq4 etc are high demand due to the popularity of boost now then there will be another shift once the new LTs flood the market but we have a ways to go till then

and 4th gen drivable shells go from 5 to 7 k which can be parted for profit

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I think the emissions laws in California also create a situation where everybody is after the same late model parts for engine swap into older cars, whereas a lot of other regions can pick parts from across a wider range of sources because Big Government isn't scrutinizing them.