1989 IROC-Z 5.7L T-Top - to-do list - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

1989 IROC-Z 5.7L T-Top - to-do list

Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

1989 IROC-Z 5.7L T-Top - to-do list

First off a big shoutout to the entire TGO community. Lurking like a **** for months has assisted me in addressing a variety of issues and initiatives big and small.

Here's my tale so far: I picked up my ride this last August (now sleeping through winter) and while I only got three months DD'ing, Christ it's fun! Enough torque to blow the doors off most new imports stoplight to stoplight and the fantastic chug chug of Detroit (ok, CA) iron. My whole plan was and remains every year May though October DD then switch back to the ol' Tahoe for winter. Hence I was aiming for something with not too few miles, as I'd just feel guilty running up the odo, and also obv a much better price than a creampuff lol. But also not a high mileage beater neither. Finally as summer was ending and hope seemed lost I found just that, in the 5.7 t-top combo I'd wanted.

(driver's seat mint but o/s shot)

It was an old man's baby (second owner since late 90s) and all he did was go up the street in his Ontario small town to the grocery store in it. Regular dealer service. 0 mods. Though he did leave it under a tree in his driveway (sap) and I'm not sure if it was outside through winter(!) but no rust so I think the garage. Regardless, at $10K flat CAD ($7700 USD) for 172K km (107K miles) original engine original tranny it wasn't the deal of the century. Luckily the small town dealer was also a pretty good mechanic (full garage) and ended up doing a bunch of stuff as part of the price. One of those things where the more he looked the more it needed, luckily he was a good dude and stuck to our deal. So the first component of the list is how it arrived. The main point of my post is I was looking at my to-do list this morning and I mainly thought fellow fanatics would get a kick out of it. A small word doc on my phone about production while I was still hunting grew into a monster after purchase, lol. You can see the stuff sitting waiting for March/April install and a few items still to be procured. Staying pretty stock other than exhaust..though in a summer or two I can see the bug taking me into cams and suspension etc etc lol

157,981 irocs '85 through '90
44,595 or 28% had GM t-tops
39,006 or 25% had the L98 5.7s '87 through '90

NEW August 2017
Magnaflow 62866 street series catback exhaust 3.5" tips
Spark plugs, cap/rotor
Front shocks (struts)
Belt
Ball joint
Lateral link
Left and right motor mounts
All bulbs interior exterior
Oil change and filter
Brand new tires
..Oil pressure switch
(..Coolant temp sensor is new)
..Fuel pump works fine
Power steering, coolant

MAY 2018
Oil + filter
Rear diff fluid w GM posi additive and new gasket - $300
Transmission fluid top-up and filter- no flush - $200
**Clean or replace loose fuel injector(s)** + new gaskets
Like new..yet +work to access..so 22lb south Bay new anyway?
->**A/C recharge, fix lines..parts**
-> New nose emblem? $65 ORDERED
Window sweeps kit $180
->Cigarette lighter $65
->Reglue passenger door armrest
->Hi-flow Cat (post emissions NOPE) 93441 Magnaflow 3" DELIVERED
->..Hooker 2055 ceramic w Y-pipe 3" ORDERED
+ MDS ignition under engine fireproof
->K&N air filters x2 2008-1? (MAF dirtying?); no AFE blue x2 ORDERED
-> transgo corvette servo ORDERED
->..Sub-frame connectors?
->remove baffles from air box...ram air III?
-> functional louvres? Iroc-x facebook...not producing; trackspec is two blades short
-> Hurst dual/gate, the part$ place ebay..missing items tho?
Fuel relay/all wiring
"Clean" engine/tranny?
Powdercoat engine?
3.42 gears 9bolt.com?
Check fuel filter if changed?

AUDIO
**Power antennae retraction** $250 .. get old one + repair kit?
Discontinued GM 22062580
ORDERED: NDZ billet aluminum black 12"
+ new speakers (incl. sail panels)
+ vintage woofer for amp (MEI audio)

REGLASS
Driver's side mirror, clean both housings, tighten both mounts
New turn signal lights or lenses a-m $170 oem $250
ORDERED oem pair
1 foglight glass cracked $40

New foglight bezels? $90
New foglight assembly? a-m $250 oem $450
(thirdgen ranch)
NO; repainted, fine.

REPAINT:
Delete silver stripe rear + move 5.7L TPI emblem - new one
Move IROC graphics - new ones (DIY) IN TRUNK
Driver's door lock (DIY)
Hood louvres?
Black paint touch-up pen for hood rock chips - better semi-gloss/universal black if even try again
PDR hood acorn bumps

MISC
Right (or both) IROC badge(s)? Keep an eye for right one. Pin vs stick on
Seat latches lock?
T-top rainguards? $120 Or mint correct t-tops?
Repin or change lock cylinders t-tops for key?
Replace ashtray lid/assembly - just spring
If gauges ever go get Dakota Digital VHX
Check/tighten transmission kickdown/ TV cable? Nah
...Upgrade rod bolts? Nah
Car tent? No

FINISHED
Cold start rattling: exhaust bolts? YES; DONE Old cat? Undercarriage shield? ..doubt piston slap
Black wheel nuts - 18" or 19" socket? DONE
**1 side mirror cracked** DONE
1 foglight bulb out - DONE
Loose horn connection (new locker/cancel plastic cam) - DONE
Foam on odo - DONE
TINT 15s doors and hatch - DONE
FIX HEADLINER - DONE
New sun visors - DONE
New license plates bolts - DONE
Backup t-tops and backup bags - DONE
Affix Fischer cup holder with velcro tape DONE
Liquimolly jectron cleaner additive at next empty DONE
5.7L Tuned Port Injection decals DONE
Floor mats DONE

REPAINT:
Back hatch frame (DIY) - DONE
Windshield frame (DIY) - DONE
Fog light bezels (DIY) - DONE
Passenger t-bar component? (DYI) - DONE
Scotch Brite smooth + Satin black model/hobby paint tester + sandpaper + wire brush - DONE
Black paint touch-up pen for hood rock chips - better semi-gloss/universal black if do again

BAD COLD START - FIXED
Check fuel injectors - new $1000 - nah; 22# Bosch IIIs new in car; one leaking tho. Ever flow matched?
Replace fuel relay - no; can hear it? Can see SES light...but oil pressure kicks up as cranking..?? NO - wouldn't start at all w/o relay working
Replace CTS - (no- was new)
Replace oil pressure switch - DONE

JUMPY VOLTAGE - went away
Check connections - DONE
Replace alternator - nah

Of all this stuff needless to say I'm most excited for the 2055s.

...anyway thank you TGO and rock on!
SirReveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Re: 1989 IROC-Z 5.7L T-Top - to-do list

Oh- and I wanted to add one last bit to my tl;dr tale. That July I'd allllmost taken down a red '87 L98 t-top with *less* mileage for a far *better* price than black beauty above. (In US term I got him down to $5250 for a 77000mile car!) But I waffled as during the test drive it shuddered at every stoplight. The guy explained a young kid before him had "dropped in a chip to give it a bit more go". I realize now that removing the POS chip would likely have been an easy fix and the car was pretty damn clean other than that with no other mods or issues...

...but it caused me to dither at the time and the car went. Soon after I learned the '88s and '89s got a bump in HP and gave myself a high-five - as my black car was in transit and the deal was done - because I erroneously thought all '89s got 245 (brochure) HP via the dual cat exhaust. I'm feeling good about my higher price higher mileage decision given these performance metrics...but a day or two after the car arrives I learn about RPO codes and crack the center console and check the SPI on black beauty:

"No G92..ok that's fine. Wait- no N10!"
230 brochure HP. An imperceptible difference and the same torque! (Only the later '89s all got N10 IIRC)
I was pretty peeved.

Then I learn about the different rear axle setups.
"GH3.. 2.77! Wtf! The worst one!"

"And how about my cheaper lower mile '87 I passed on? (search)...they all had 3.27!!!"
LOL

The car rocks and the rear belts on my '89 are way better for my daughters' car seats so I calmed on knowing I avoided some PITA retrofit there on the erstwhile '87. I calmed more learning N10 "13% more power" was embellished anyway, and a moot point once you do a full exhaust.

The 2.77 vs 3.27? That still kinda bugs me. Until I upgrade that the family Tahoe at 3.08 stock has a racier rear end then the IROC. Lol!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Car: 1989 IROC Z28

Congratulations, nice looking car and it seems you are more than getting your moneys worth enjoying it.
irvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks Irvan. Half the fun besides driving it is touching up all the trim to try to get it back to showroom level. I never knew there was so much to learn about freakin paint lol. *also besides the 2055s a simple but easily procrastinate-able task I need to get on first thing is moving the misplaced IROC-Z decals. The wrong location jumps at me every time I see it.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Welcome to posting SirReveller!

That's a great looking IROC. Glad you are out enjoying it when the weather permits.
DynoDave43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

Thanks Dave!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #7

Alrighty- Santa dropped a bunch of stuff of my list. I put it all on a silk screen IROC picture from China ($7! quality?...$7!) to show my 4yr old where it goes.

In particular this

which was buggin' me is checked off.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #8

Car: 1989 IROC Z28

nice stuff, hope you have a warm place to install it.
irvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #9

Yeah I'd be fun to figure out how to install myself but a pro shop is doing the hi-flow cat and headers so may as well just toss these in the trunk when it goes.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReveller View Post
I calmed more learning N10 "13% more power" was embellished anyway
Not really. If anything, the performance boost on dual cat cars is underrated.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

Really...well 230*1.13 is 260 not 245 so perhaps it was, but only in the media that stated 245. At the same rate there's a ton of threads where guys doubt 13% ie 30 more HP. At any rate a modern high-flow cat is superior to either one or two ~30 years old cats.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Trans Am clone
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4/shift kit.S10converter
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Gorgeous car! 89 got the warmest cam the old 049 Corvette cam. Probably my favorite year I hated the spoiler change in 91.
dmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Supreme Member

Quote:
Really...well 230*1.13 is 260 not 245 so perhaps it was, but only in the media that stated 245.
You're assuming that GM's claims and numbers, are directly related to the published numbers. I've yet to see any documentation from GM disclosing exactly how the number was calculated.

Quote:
At the same rate there's a ton of threads where guys doubt 13% ie 30 more HP.
You mean there are tons of threads where guys who haven't ever driven a dual-cat car, say it doesn't matter, to make themselves feel better? Are there a ton of threads with actual empirical data? Back to back dyno tests, perhaps? Back to back 1/4 mile times?

If you go back far enough, there are threads with guys swearing by all kinds of medieval performance tweaks. There was a time when a K&N filter, a Tornado intake insert, and magnets around the fuel line were believed to increase power and mileage. Split Fire spark plugs with dual core plug wires. Leaf blower superchargers... Take what you read with a large grain of salt.

Quote:
At any rate a modern high-flow cat is superior to either one or two ~30 years old cats.
Maybe. "high-flow cat" is right there in the same category as Split Fire plugs and Z-Max! Modern cats are remarkably similar to late 80's factory cats. They both have a honeycomb covered in exotic elements that clean the exhaust. Assuming the 30 year old cat isn't overheated, cracked, broken, filled with carbon and soot from contaminants, burned oil, ie abuse; you're probably not going to see a huge difference.

All that aside, I've been around thirdgens since 1995. Dual cats are the one of the very first things I look for on a thirdgen. I've got nearly identically equipped 5.7L cars in the garage right now, the dual cat car would put a serious hurt on the single cat car at a stop light. My project Firebird I'm building now would be considerably easier and less expensive to build with a single cat exhaust. I intend to use dual cats. The published numbers simply don't reflect the real-world difference between with or without dual cats. IMHO, FWIW
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #14

Hey man- it's what I was gunnin for myself! :P *id be a freakin expert on hi-flo vs dual if I had dual.
And yeah the ol' dyno discussion..so many comparative factors. Especially with cars this age.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #15

Thanks D- killer black wheels on your puppy. Goes sick with the red.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #16

Alright gents, thought I'd throw this out for some insight. Performance-wise goin in April we got delivered or in transit:

aFe filters (remove entire baffles f/ airboxes TBD)
Airfoil
The hi-flo cat and headers to finish off the catback
3.45 gears
Corvette servo
Transgo 2&3
March power & amp
BMR + Alston SFCs
Lower secondary fan switch
TB coolant bypass
..And my shop is all into Scorpion 1.6 rockers which I may just do for the helluvit at the topend. He also swears by a larger TB but my research says no-go here with only bolt-ons esp. given cost.
Stock cam stock heads stock PROM.

Anyway naturally I'm now comparing torque converters. A couple solid old threads reco "yes" vigilante, edge, pro torque, FTI, yank and mostly "no" B&M, TCI, ACC. My question though is 2400 or 2800 stall? Getting used to the 3.45 first would be wise but overall just wanna have it go on with everything else.

Goal: fun street no strip but not chirping the (stock) tires every stoplight unless I mean to.

Thanks!

Last edited by SirReveller; 01-18-2018 at 09:01 PM.