Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

15th Anniversary Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28, 1989 TTA #922
Engine: lb9, 3.8L turbo
Transmission: 700r4, 2004R
Re: 15th Anniversary Trans AM

Subscribed!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '84 TRANS AM
Engine: 5.7L SBC
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by Javier87z28
Subscribed!
Thanks!

Update for today, finally getting back on track somewhat, I just helped my Uncle move in with me from Maine after some volatile family issues went down. He brought down with him everything he owns in the back of a 17' U-Haul truck. We just finished getting the garage cleared out of all his stuff and moving it to the appropriate areas, and in the meantime I've been in contact with Butler Performance.

I sent them an e-mail asking a couple of questions of opinion, and asking for a quote to have some basic engine work done. They sent me back a quote to basically build the entire motor from the ground up coming to a grand total of nearly $12,000 dollars. He did say that the quote was just a basic idea of what the whole thing would cost all together and that we would have to go through line by line and figure out what I need and don't need. For example, I have an oil pan, and a lifter valley tray already. No need to replace the stock one if there's nothing wrong with it. I may instead opt for a 428 build since it'll save some money on machine work, and still get more than enough power. I'll also probably just have them do the major machine work and install the rotating assembly, camshaft and timing chain. That way I can leave some money in my pocket to pay bills with, and as I build up more cash, I can more parts through them.

And I say get the parts through them, because the quote they sent me, and the speed at which they prepared it and the reputation of Butler Performance in the way of Pontiac motors is impressive to say the least. They included in their quote a bare set of Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads, ported to flow at 300+CFM, Ferrea valves (3 angle grinding job) 10 degree retainers, ARP 7/16 studs, Lunati Springs... not much more expensive than buying fully assembled Edelbrock Heads from Summit Racing.

In any case, here's the build sheet Jim Butler sent to me for you guys to look over and give your input.
Attached Thumbnails 15th Anniversary Trans AM-butler-quote.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '84 TRANS AM
Engine: 5.7L SBC
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.73 Posi

New update, thanks to the guys over at the Year One Pontiac forums, in the street section, I've got the build all hashed out and I re-learned a thing or two at the same time. Great forum over there... you put a build in front of those guys, and it's like a scientific peer review. They point out the weaknesses and strengths, and offer great suggestions and ways to improve the build. Biggest weakness they could see was the cam I picked out which was a COMP Cams XR264HR. So after some discussion, and debate over cam philosophy between some of the other guys, everybody came to the agreement on a certain cam by "SDPerformance" called... "The Stump Puller". 286/289 adv. duration, 230/236 @ 0.050", .567"/.578" lift w/ 1.52:1 rockers, 112 L.S.A. 106 I.L.C. Hydraulic Roller Cam. Manifold and stock converter friendly, good vacuum for accessories. As the name suggests, gobs and gobs of low end grunt and apparently an absolutely amazing torque and power curve according to guys who have it.

Only other parts guys seemed to take issue with were the forged crank, connecting rods, pistons and 4-Bolt studded main journal, arguing that for the application, it was unnecessary... I'm definitely ignoring that advice though. Strength and stability in the bottom end is never a bad thing, even if it costs a little bit extra. I see it as cheap insurance. Speaking of which, I've also decided to go with the 428 build rather than the 455. I don't sacrifice a whole lot in terms of power, shorter stroke means better revving capability, less stress on the crank in the long run, and the 4" cranks at Butler have BBC sized journals on them which are 0.05" smaller in diameter. Same principle here as the main journals from a 400ci vs a 455ci. The 400 had 3" main journal bearings whereas the 455 had 3.25"... the 3" are actually better because they create less friction and even over a short distance like a quarter mile, a small difference in diameter equates to a lot of friction reduction, which equates to better longevity and a much more freely spinning motor.

Jim Butler also got back to me via E-Mail to let me know they're back logged on block machining for a little while. Not a big deal, that'll give me time to do other things with the car while I'm waiting for the block to return. Then once it's back, I can order the parts and start assembly!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 IROC / 1986 SC
Engine: 305 TPI / 2.8 MFI
Transmission: 700R4's
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi / 3.42 Open

Great progress! I just stumbled across this post. Nice to see the car getting taken care of!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird, 89 Bird, 86 Bird
Engine: None, 5.7, 5.0 L.O.
Transmission: None, T5, Thm 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 02' 3.43 rear disc, ???

Its great to see (that unlike me...) you havnt put your plans on hold (I have been working 3rd shift 6 days a week...) I'm still subscribed and look forward to seeing your progress. Keep it up I'm rooting for ya buddy