Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

"DRIVEWAY FIND" 1989 Trans AM

Old 05-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L31, LT4 hot cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD
Re: "Barn Find" 1989 Trans AM

v. cool and great to see the paint buff out and bead like that. Also the front end panel alignment looks pretty much perfect

nerd mode: gold pontiac script on the headlight and its a T/A. Wasn't the gold emblem reserved for the GTA?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by NCC-2569
It always suprisess me how forgiving the paint on these cars is.
Even with so much neglect.
It will still clean up real good even after 10+ years in open weather.
I was pleasantly surprised!

Originally Posted by M G Brewer
Wish I could say the same for my clear coat...
LOL!

Originally Posted by GTA1990
v. cool and great to see the paint buff out and bead like that. Also the front end panel alignment looks pretty much perfect

nerd mode: gold pontiac script on the headlight and its a T/A. Wasn't the gold emblem reserved for the GTA?
It's pretty close. The bumper cover is slighly off near the hood. Looks ever so slightly "sunk in".

I was wondering about the emblem. Maybe someone made a mistake at the factory?

The car also came with 15" wheels and someone at the dealer added the "GTA" wheels.

The gentleman I bought it from mentioned something about the service manager at the dealership driving the car for a bit. Maybe he swapped the emblem out as well?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI (Deleted Cats)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Original 3.27

Originally Posted by George Klass

Looks great! Very surprised what it looks like after sitting outside for so long. Looks even better then my GTA that was garage kept for 90% of its life! Hoping a clay bar and polish will make it look a little better
Old 05-02-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

How's it running George? The paint is very forgiving on these cars. Mine sat I'm a field uncovered for 10+ years and it buffed out nicely. Keep up the good work. Really enjoy your post.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by brianlibby791
Looks great! Very surprised what it looks like after sitting outside for so long. Looks even better then my GTA that was garage kept for 90% of its life! Hoping a clay bar and polish will make it look a little better
It definitely will!

Originally Posted by Jbuchanan
How's it running George? The paint is very forgiving on these cars. Mine sat I'm a field uncovered for 10+ years and it buffed out nicely. Keep up the good work. Really enjoy your post.
Hey! Not running yet. Engine turned over easily but the fuel pump is dead. I'm not going to be doing it at home. Because it will be another week or 2 till I tow her away I figured might as well start cleaning
Old 05-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Why did you pick the Trans Am over the Ponys? Just curious
When I got the green light to buy an additional toy (one that was running, and NOT a project), I was hoping to buy something all of us (2 adults, 2 kids) could take to Florida for vacation. Kids were like 16 and 18 at the time. Was likely to be our last vacation together, as the eldest headed off to college that fall. With the square roof line, the both kids could sit in the back. Not luxurious, but it would have worked. Came very, very close to buying a white with red interior convertible. But missed the deal. Came VERY close to buying a 7-up convertible. And while it looked great, and appeared "right", it had been in a wreck early in it's life, and I just couldn't get past that.

Ultimately, after looking at a LOT of Mustangs, we didn't find a car in time for the trip. After the trip was behind us, then rear seat room was not really an issue. At that point, I simply preferred a 3rd gen.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
When I got the green light to buy an additional toy (one that was running, and NOT a project), I was hoping to buy something all of us (2 adults, 2 kids) could take to Florida for vacation. Kids were like 16 and 18 at the time. Was likely to be our last vacation together, as the eldest headed off to college that fall. With the square roof line, the both kids could sit in the back. Not luxurious, but it would have worked. Came very, very close to buying a white with red interior convertible. But missed the deal. Came VERY close to buying a 7-up convertible. And while it looked great, and appeared "right", it had been in a wreck early in it's life, and I just couldn't get past that.

Ultimately, after looking at a LOT of Mustangs, we didn't find a car in time for the trip. After the trip was behind us, then rear seat room was not really an issue. At that point, I simply preferred a 3rd gen.
Cool! The white on red droptop was a GT or LX? Right now the heavy deals seem to be on SN95 cars. Clean Foxes are starting to command decent $$.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

It was an LX. OK, I'll fess up. It was a 4 cylinder 5 speed car. Senior citizen owned, and just so clean, and so cheap, I was willing to live with the 4 cyl. for the family trip. But the throttle stuck during the test drive. When I complained to the dealer (it was the only thing I asked them to fix), they wholesaled it the ext day without telling me.

The very first Mustang I looked at was a '95 SN95 GT in canary yellow. Loved that one too, but like the 7-up car, it had been hit, and not as well repaired. Also, the SN95 roof line is no better than our cars for headroom, so that's why I started shopping Fox bodies.

And yes, really nice Fox bodies are starting to draw the cash, just like our F-bodies. I'll regret not buying that 7-up car some day.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 PM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 5737cc

It always suprisess me how forgiving the paint on these cars is.
Even with so much neglect.
It will still clean up real good even after 10+ years in open weather.
Had a black BMW 520 I left outside in the sun for about a year .It was basically totaled by the sun.I think they used some different formula of paint back then because newer cars simply put have horrible paint.Was looking that new Mustangs for example have so much orange peel on them you could say they use spray cans to paint the cars.

What is really cool about muscle cars in general is that they look good both polished and dirty.Dirty Trans Am have that mad max look about them.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 PM

It was an LX. OK, I'll fess up. It was a 4 cylinder 5 speed car. Senior citizen owned, and just so clean, and so cheap, I was willing to live with the 4 cyl. for the family trip. But the throttle stuck during the test drive. When I complained to the dealer (it was the only thing I asked them to fix), they wholesaled it the ext day without telling me.

The very first Mustang I looked at was a '95 SN95 GT in canary yellow. Loved that one too, but like the 7-up car, it had been hit, and not as well repaired. Also, the SN95 roof line is no better than our cars for headroom, so that's why I started shopping Fox bodies.

And yes, really nice Fox bodies are starting to draw the cash, just like our F-bodies. I'll regret not buying that 7-up car some day.
Nothing wrong with a 2.3, solid shell to swap. It's too bad. I would have bought it on the spot if the price was right, make them drop some $$$ and fix it myself lol.

Originally Posted by FirebirdUSX
Had a black BMW 520 I left outside in the sun for about a year .It was basically totaled by the sun.I think they used some different formula of paint back then because newer cars simply put have horrible paint.Was looking that new Mustangs for example have so much orange peel on them you could say they use spray cans to paint the cars.

What is really cool about muscle cars in general is that they look good both polished and dirty.Dirty Trans Am have that mad max look about them.
It's crazy how bad some factory paint jobs are these days! Looks like ****. I sell new VW's and I can say our paint jobs are outstanding!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice Trans Am. Looks pretty straight and it's t-top. I don't get what the words "barn find" in the title have to do with it though,since this car was NOT found in a barn. The whole "Barn find" label has become an obnoxious meaningless catch-all applied to anything and everything now. Not sure why. if you didn't find the car in a barn,it isn't a barn find. It's kind of like the term "survivor" used in the title and description of nearly every classic car. It's stupid and meaningless and has been run into the ground. ANY car that still exists is a "survivor" by definition.

As Mr. Spock would say,"highly illogical".

Last edited by JimRockford; 05-02-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 PM

Nothing wrong with a 2.3, solid shell to swap. It's too bad. I would have bought it on the spot if the price was right, make them drop some $$$ and fix it myself lol.

It's crazy how bad some factory paint jobs are these days! Looks like ****. I sell new VW's and I can say our paint jobs are outstanding!

It's true. A friend and I were discussing that the other day. Most of the cars have shitty orange peel paint jobs from the factory,which in the "old days" would have been inexcusable. People don't seem to notice or care though.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Looks to even have original tires on it..
Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350
Looks to even have original tires on it..
Almost!

The gentleman told me 2 tires were replaced under recall very early on. I quickly checked the date code on one of them (don't remember front or rear) was 1989. Before I put new rubber on I'll throw some tire shine on these for a "Period correct" photo or 2 lol!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JimRockford
Nice Trans Am. Looks pretty straight and it's t-top. I don't get what the words "barn find" in the title have to do with it though,since this car was NOT found in a barn. The whole "Barn find" label has become an obnoxious meaningless catch-all applied to anything and everything now. Not sure why. if you didn't find the car in a barn,it isn't a barn find. It's kind of like the term "survivor" used in the title and description of nearly every classic car. It's stupid and meaningless and has been run into the ground. ANY car that still exists is a "survivor" by definition.

As Mr. Spock would say,"highly illogical".

Lol sorry, Jim. I'll change it to "Left to die driveway find"
Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Lol sorry, Jim. I'll change it to "Left to die driveway find"
I wasn't picking on you,lol! I just look at lots of car ads online and for some reason everything is being called a "barn find" these days,especially on eBay.
I guess it's meant to evoke images of a car with 9k miles that an owner bought new and stored away somewhere out of the elements and away from prying eyes,and is now a once in a lifetime chance to get something near new. In the end it's just become meaningless marketing hype.

All that aside,you have a very nice trans am and it's certainly nice to see another one being put back into use and preserved. When I used to go to the junkyards 15-20 years back they were littered with Trans Ams and camaros that were often times in excellent physical condition that people ditched because a fuel pump went out or they developed trans issues and they "were not worth putting money into". Surprisingly few seem to be around today and amazingly you can still find excellent examples for sale if you are patient in the $4-5k range.

I honestly don't get why anyone would want a fourth gen car after seeing the third gens. I don't care that they aren't as fast. The design just destroys the fourth gen cars.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Almost!

The gentleman told me 2 tires were replaced under recall very early on. I quickly checked the date code on one of them (don't remember front or rear) was 1989. Before I put new rubber on I'll throw some tire shine on these for a "Period correct" photo or 2 lol!
Nice, I noticed the wheel weights on the outside of the wheel on the pass front so I'm guessing that fronts were replaced.
need to get some pictures like that of my cars

Last edited by TTOP350; 05-03-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JimRockford
I wasn't picking on you,lol! I just look at lots of car ads online and for some reason everything is being called a "barn find" these days,especially on eBay.
I guess it's meant to evoke images of a car with 9k miles that an owner bought new and stored away somewhere out of the elements and away from prying eyes,and is now a once in a lifetime chance to get something near new. In the end it's just become meaningless marketing hype.

All that aside,you have a very nice trans am and it's certainly nice to see another one being put back into use and preserved. When I used to go to the junkyards 15-20 years back they were littered with Trans Ams and camaros that were often times in excellent physical condition that people ditched because a fuel pump went out or they developed trans issues and they "were not worth putting money into". Surprisingly few seem to be around today and amazingly you can still find excellent examples for sale if you are patient in the $4-5k range.

I honestly don't get why anyone would want a fourth gen car after seeing the third gens. I don't care that they aren't as fast. The design just destroys the fourth gen cars.
You are right tho, the term is being used too freely these days. While I don't mind 4th gens, third gens are nicer IMO. What a shape!

Nice, I noticed the wheel weights on the outside of the wheel on the pass front so I'm guessing that fronts were replaced.
need to get some pictures like that of my cars
So ghetto lolll. I really can't wait to throw on fresh tires and get rid of all those ugly weights!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

My Trans Am came with a silver bird center piece. When I got the old style tail lights, they had a golden center piece, so I bought a silver reproduction bird and heatgunned it from its slightly curved 1990 center piece form into the flat 82-84 style.
The details just have to match
Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM

Car: '88 Black GTA, T-tops, digital dash
Engine: 5.7 TPI w/custom chip
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 327 posi

Wow, that's a nice find! I'm following this thread
Old 05-08-2017, 03:48 PM

My Trans Am came with a silver bird center piece. When I got the old style tail lights, they had a golden center piece, so I bought a silver reproduction bird and heatgunned it from its slightly curved 1990 center piece form into the flat 82-84 style.
The details just have to match
Of course lol!

Originally Posted by Davidgou
Wow, that's a nice find! I'm following this thread
Thank you!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 AM

No updates on the car so far. A couple of third gen buddies of mine are buying a 87 Formula TBI parts car. Runs but crusty underneath. It's got headers and a clean Edelbrock cat back + Edelbrock TBI strut tower brace! Seeing how I need to remove my exhaust to drop the tank this is a potential dirt cheap exhaust upgrade! I won't do the headers but exhaust for sure it it sounds nice!

Even though it's crusty underneath you never know, maybe the gas tank is decent. If so I will clean it up and use it for my car. As a BONUS: The guy works at a GM dealer and put brand new discs and pads up front 2 weeks ago lolol. How convenient for me!!

I placed a small Rockauto order yesterday. For the T/A I ordered a Bosch fuel pump and 2x front brake hoses. So fingers crossed the level sender and tank are ok on Formula and I just saved some $$$.

Finally, I hit a local pick and pull that got an 88 V6 Bird. All excited I showed up to a smoked grey interior and the guy had made himself a floorpan on the driver's side out of wood. SOLID! Nothing worth taking off the car. At least I scored a license plate bulb holder out of a 2000 Grand Prix (Same part)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:59 PM

When I removed the dashpad to replace the speakers I found this! Thought it was pretty cool.

Also found this in the air box. Nothing crazy at all but old and preserved haha.

The other day I found out the Formula parts car is getting delayed in it's arrival. Might be another 2 weeks! I was pretty much ready to place the order for a new tank and sender but Unfortunately we just got hit with a couple of unexpected expenses. No choice now but to wait and see/hope the tank and sender on Formula are good to go.

If they're not at least the wallet got some time to recoup top buy new haha!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Parts car Formula arrived. Looks like I'll be taking it's Edelbrock cat-back and TBI strut tower brace, engine fan, blower motor, hood struts, NEW front brakes and anything else I might need. I couldn't really take a good look at the tank but really really hoping it's in decent shape.

It has a Holley TBI assembly and intake. I have no idea if it's even worth it for a stock motor, any thoughts?

Also at this point I think I will have to replace the 2 injectors as well. Smells really bad in there so most likely they are clogged to ****.

On Rockauto Standard brand seems decently priced. Are they ok for my stock car?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM

Car: '88 Black GTA, T-tops, digital dash
Engine: 5.7 TPI w/custom chip
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 327 posi

Awesome!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds like some seriously good parts.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am WS6 w/ Recaros
Engine: LB9

Wow Great find! I'd say you got pretty lucky!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Faine
Wow Great find! I'd say you got pretty lucky!
Thank you!!

Sounds like some seriously good parts.

The muffler ended up being messed up a loose baffle inside or something. Oh well lol.

UPDATE: I still haven't done anything. The gas tank in the parts car ended up being a little crusty. My soon to be wife and I have decided to just go new. With our wedding coming up in 3 months $$$$ it a little tight.

It wouldn't be too bad of a hit but I cannot do the work at home. Not set up for it and really just don't have time. So have to spend some more $$$ on labour.

Trying to keep the costs low I visited a Upull lot yesterday that had a few early 90s 5.0 TBI pickups. My plan was to score some injectors. Even tho they weren't there for long they were complete... minus the TBI assemblies lolol...

For everyone following the thread I'm sorry to dissapoint. Intentions are there but time and 2nd project car funding are not.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:59 PM

No worries man. Your priorities are in check though!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Getting very close now. Pretty much have almost everything. Got a decent looking used TDI unit to replace the one on the car. New gas tank, level sender/hanger and straps. Rockauto has a "KIT" price that made sense.

**HEADS UP when ordering a Spectra Premium fuel pump and level sender**

The packaging is a complete joke. The level sender was loose in the box, just some light bubble wrap around the actual pump.

The filler neck was actually sticking out of the box! Just had some wrapping around it. F ucking sloppy. I can't believe Spectra sends it out like that. At least bubble wrap the f uck out if and then put some cardboard over it. I smoke tested it don't seem to have any leaks.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Wow! missed this thread,that TA cleaned up very well.Good luck with your project.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

George - just read through your thread. Looks like a nice car. I am curious though - what is wrong with the gas tank in your car? If it is not in bad shape, I would clean it up, add a sealer and reuse it. I have not heard too many good things about the Spectras tank. The neck is usually way off and IIRC, the original cap will not fit. It is made to use a later model cap.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Wow, that is a rather crap-tastic way to pack an item for shipping, isn't it.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mantaguy
Wow! missed this thread,that TA cleaned up very well.Good luck with your project.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
George - just read through your thread. Looks like a nice car. I am curious though - what is wrong with the gas tank in your car? If it is not in bad shape, I would clean it up, add a sealer and reuse it. I have not heard too many good things about the Spectras tank. The neck is usually way off and IIRC, the original cap will not fit. It is made to use a later model cap.

What worries me about the original tank is what it might be looking like inside. The gasoline in it smells horrific, like paint thinner/turpentine mixed with mothballs. I will not be doing the work myself. I figured it would be cheaper to replace the tank than have the shop clean and seal the old one.

I'm aware of the chances I'm taking running the Spectra tank. Hopefully the filler neck will line up with minimal fuss. The cap doesn't bother me too much.

Wow, that is a rather crap-tastic way to pack an item for shipping, isn't it.
Unreal man. I still can't believe it lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 PM

SHE RUNS!! FINALLYYYYYYY

Friday was the big day. I toyed her to a friend's shop and we got to work. I was honestly kind of nervous about it. From reading how it's a major PITA job, everything being seized to Spectra filler neck won't line up at all etc etc. So here is how it went and my views on this.

If you're going to do a fuel tank on the driveway, yes for sure I can see how much of a monster ***** job it can be. On a lift with a transmission stand it's a 4 on 10 difficulty. Taking our time in about 2 hours the tank was removed from the car.

This was the first time seeing her on a lift. Slightly dissapointed because there was a little more rust than expected on the floor but it is what it is. I'll eventually remove the rug and see how bad it looks from up top.

I sprayed everything the night before with penetrating fluid. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't I do not know. But what I can tell you EVERY SINGLE BOLT came out of the car no problem at all. It was unreal. Even the wheels weren't stuck to the drum. We had the end link snap on the driver's side. OOOOOOOO bought 2 new MOOG for $10 CDN lolol. Also noticed the rear shocks are scrap so got new KYB's for $60 CDN. Will be installing shortly.

New parts list included:

Spectra Premium fuel tank with filler neck
Spectra Premium level sender/hanger
Bosch TBI fuel pump
AC Delco strainer and fuel filter.

The old level sender looked disgusting. Rusted out. The hose on the pump was long gone lol. The inside of the old tank was nasty and smelled horrific. Write off.

We reused the original tank straps as they were in good shape. For the "padding" on the fuel tank I took a page out of 80's Al notebook and used some yoga mat material haha!!

Everything went back together smoothly. The filler neck on the Spectra tank did not line up 100% but it's acceptable I guess. It sits lower than the stock one. The neck pretty much "sits" on the fuel door bezel. Fuel door closes no problem. I completely forgot to take a pic for you guys.

Once everything was installed we installed a hose on the return line and cycled the key many many times until clean gasoline was coming out into the container. So with this all done, it was time to crank her up!

And nothing.... Engine was turning over no problem, good spark but no fuel. Well, good thing I bought a spare TBI unit just in case! After swapping that in she fired right up! A cheer from everyone in the shop. Let her run for a minutes, then shut her down to check for leaks.

Brought her outside, let her warm for 10 minutes then took her down the street on her maiden voyage for some more gas. Everything felt ok. Drove her around the area (industrial) slowly to get everything circulating. Trans shifts fine, power steering feels ok. To conclude activities at the shop, brought her back in, did another oil change, cleaned up and drove her home!!!

I drove her to work on Saturday (day off) to use the wash bay and clean her up again. I did a quick fast interior shampoo on the front seats and front section of carpet. Then did a wash and back home. SO here are were the issues were starting.

She started getting very hot at idle, close to the red. While moving it was in the middle. Sunday morning I drained the rad, threw in some water and a little cooling system flush and ran her for 10 minutes. Drained the rad, filled with water again and went for a small drive. Seemed ok. Drained rad again and filled with some distilled water. The car seemed fine for the rest of the day. Gauge always in the middle.

The rotors feel warped but they cleaned up nice lolol. Will be doing the front brakes and hoses next weekend. Still rolling the original dried out tires. I'm doing very short trips around 35-40 MPH maxxxx. Against my judgement and good taste, I got some 17x7 and 17x8 Riddler 695 wheels for cheap to roll with temporarily until I can clean up the GTA wheels and get good rubber for them. I installed 1 wheel in the front, threw up and reinstalled the GTA wheel lolol.

Last night I was hearing some noise from the engine. It was coming from the air cleaner. Hmmm. I opened it and to my surprise found some leaves and nut shells!!! I could have sworn I cleaned intake piping/snorkel! fakk!! Vacummed eveything up and installed a new air filter. Went for a drive and she felt ok.

Pulled over to take some pictures and cruised down a small street. I gave it a little gas to get back on the main road she started hesitating. huh? COuldn't rev past 1500 RPM. WTF! Drove her home (close by) and while parking noticed the temp gauge right under the red! Shut her off and heard lots of air in the system.

Let her cool down key on with the fan running and hood open. After 20 minutes cooled down enough to open rad cap. Rad was full and so was overflow. At this point too dark to do anything. Put it back on, went up and down the street and could now go up to 2000 RPM until cutoff. Went home, put the T tops on, parked and that's it.

Took her out this morning and no issues at all. Felt like usual. CLicked it in first at a stop sign and brought her up to 4K. Kinda stumped here/

Cat converter?
ICM breaking up when hot?
Computer pulls timing when overheating?

Here are a bunch of pics for y'all. I have some videos as well if interested,

Last edited by George Klass; 07-24-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Re: "DRIVEWAY FIND" 1989 Trans AM

The car looks fantastic George. You'll get these little bugs worked out. How did that tank and filler neck fit?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 PM

The car looks fantastic George. You'll get these little bugs worked out. How did that tank and filler neck fit?
I sure hope so! I'm having a blast cruising it around. I loveeee the T tops.

Copy and paste for the tank situation lol

"The filler neck on the Spectra tank did not line up 100% but it's acceptable I guess. It sits lower than the stock one. The neck pretty much "sits" on the fuel door bezel. Fuel door closes no problem. I completely forgot to take a pic for you guys. "
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Nice job George,looks great.get yourself some WD40 and roll down some plastic under the car and spray the heck out of that surface rust.I bought a gal.and put it in a spray bottle,it really cleans up the surface rust.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mantaguy
Nice job George,looks great.get yourself some WD40 and roll down some plastic under the car and spray the heck out of that surface rust.I bought a gal.and put it in a spray bottle,it really cleans up the surface rust.

Thanks manta! I'll definitely try out the WD40. I didn't know it could be that potent haha!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member

Just bend the neck up a bit, it should handle that no problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Car is really coming along and looks great I love it. Id get rid or replace the cat converter if you have to. Get a Jet fan switch to turn your fan on at a cooler temp is always a big help with these cars also.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Just bend the neck up a bit, it should handle that no problem.
I'll try it out soon.

Originally Posted by dmccain
Car is really coming along and looks great I love it. Id get rid or replace the cat converter if you have to. Get a Jet fan switch to turn your fan on at a cooler temp is always a big help with these cars also.

Thank you! I'm not sure I would eliminate the cat tho. If it's bad, I would replace it. I really don't like the smell of the exhaust with no cat.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Car looks great!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Faine
Car looks great!
Thank you sir
Old 08-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Hello! Thought I'd give you guys an update.

I've been cruising the car around here and there on nice days. I've put right around 250 miles on her. The WOT issue is still there most of the time -- Stops pulling past 3K. Stumbles and hesitates. I still haven't performed a tune up, that will be next week. The list includes

Champion spark plugs
Delphi wires
United Motor products cap and rotor -- They have brass terminals and were a good price!
Delco CV774C PCV valve
Delco 02 sensor
Delco 213928 CTS

Check timing
Change diff oil
Full coolant flush and new thermostat

Transmission oil........... So many opinions lol....... I have a WIX filter and gasket and some fresh oil. Some people tell me it'll self destruct with new oil, others say do it... IDK!

I've already changed the air filter (WIX) and that little "breather" on the side of the air box (delco).

Last time I had her out one of the original tires really started leaking thru the dry rot haha! I knew I was pushing my luck but no highway driving, just slow cruising. I wanted to change them out a while ago but was trying to find some clean used. Gave up on that and bought some new Falken ZE-950 in 245/50R16. They are a nice looking tire. Nothing crazy performance wise but I'm not really going anywhere with 170 hp.

I did a 3rd oil change last week (really want to flush everything out) and did a full check up on the front suspension. The outer tie rods are pretty loose everything else is tight. Front end list is:

MOOG ES2227RL inner tie rods
MOOG ES2226RL outer tie rods
MOOG ES2032S tie rod sleeves
MOOG K2K5 end links (did the rears already)
KYB Excel G struts and shocks

Also changing the front brakes and all 3 brake hoses along with a full flush.

Body wise I did a little more work by hand on the drivers side. Meguiars ultimate compund, some glaze and Ultimate paste wax. Some very nice stuff! I will be bringing the car to a detailer at my work to do some wetsanding and machine buff the drivers side. There are some scratches he will be able to hide well.

The window belt weatherstrip was virtually destroyed on the drivers side. I went with Fairchild and very happy with the fit and finish. I have read of people having issues with the holes. I only had one that didn't line up. I haven't done the passenger side yet because the door to body seals aren't in the best shape. No point in removing the panels twice. I did just receive some. Went with Fairchild for these as well. Maybe this weekend I can take care all of that.

When I first got the car the headlights worked fine. I guess the light usage I gave them was enough kill the bushings. I ordered a kit from Lon at TDS (super nice guy BTW).

The hatch pull down also started having issues. Upon inspection the housing was cracked and the nylon guides were falling apart. Got the guides from TDS as well. I was supposed to go see a buddy with a few spare motors and housings in good shape but because he's a little far I decided to try out the Dorman 747000 motor and housing. Technically I only need the housing but for just a little more might as get the motor as well. Really want to finish this up. The hatch looks closed but can be just pulled up. The lift supports are dead so it doesn't open while driving. I do have new ones to put on just gotta fix this silly issue. Everything is in the mail lol.

And that's about it. Thursday morning bringing her to work to replace the windshield and then the tires. Next Thursday everything else will be done. Can't wait!!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Here's some pics of her @ the now defunct dealer she originally came from. Parkway Pontiac Buick GMC

Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Bonus pics on the spare lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "DRIVEWAY FIND" 1989 Trans AM