Mid-Atlantic Region Regional board for all of the Mid-Atlantic states. Discuss gatherings and get togethers.

law historic vs street rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: too many
Engine: SBC
Transmission: AUTOs and a 5 speed :D
Axle/Gears: you name it
law historic vs street rod

In MD, I was wondering whats the difference between historic vs street rod tags.
% original etc.
Is there an insurance $$ difference?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: law historic vs street rod

When I recieved my historic plates all I was asked was "You know these are for occasional use only right?" Then I filled out the application. I just went the historic route as to drawl less attention. As for insurance, ive haven't consulted an agent yet for adjustment because it was already insured at what I consider a fair premium. Let me know if you get a rate cut.

Historic:

To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passenngers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Street Rod:
To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Car: 85 Z28 Camaro
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: Uh, Haven't investigated this yet

I have street rod on my blazer since 2000 and on my one truck. They are severely modified. I.E. lifted to the sky with huge tires. Lets me get away with driving them around period. Lifted trucks are illegal as big as mine are.

Main thing with Antique is that you really aren't supposed to modify them from stock. Supposably they can get you on loud exhaust and other things like this. I've never seen it happen though

My insurance is the same on either. Some insurance companys want yearly milege on antique vehicles.

I believe tags run the same price as well.

If you go to the DMV to get the street rod tags your supposed to have a list of modifications. I use a tag and title place and they have never asked for this.

Forgot something.

Technically there is a loop hole for vehicles that the model is not produced any more and that aren't old enough to qualify for Antique tags. I don't know if this will work or not since Chevrolet is supposed to be bringing the camaro back in 2010 but I know someone who did this with their el-camino.

Basically, you need a letter from the manufactuare that says that they are not producing any more of that paticular model any more. Then you can go to the DMV and apply for historic tags with that information. There may need to be more information involved but I know someone who did this to avoid having to have his camino inspected as the exhaust would have failed.

Just thought I'd put this out there.

Last edited by primerk5; 07-16-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS t-top
Engine: 305 Jasper
Transmission: 700R4

That was true back in the day;that's how I got Historic tags for my '66 Studebaker in'84.When the law was changed, allowing 20 year old cars to qualify as Historic (as opposed to 25 years old),the other rule got chucked out.Take for example, the demise of Plymouth and Oldsmobile.Just because they are no longer produced dosen't mean that they can qualify as Historic.They WILL be considered as Historic when they are 20 years old, or 20 years after the last Olds or Plymouth was produced.I'm not trying to preach here;I just don't want to see somebody get shot down at MVA after standing in line.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 PM

how sure are you about street rod tags having to be 25 years old, i couldve sworn this guy that comes into the bar i work at has an 87 mustang with street rod tags.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS t-top
Engine: 305 Jasper
Transmission: 700R4

It's 20 (twenty) years or older, so anything '88 or older can be tagged class L or class N (streetrod).Next year the magic number is 1989.....
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by blyth18md
To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older
thats why i asked
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM

Car: 85 Z28 Camaro
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: Uh, Haven't investigated this yet

Originally Posted by rsrookie
It's 20 (twenty) years or older, so anything '88 or older can be tagged class L or class N (streetrod).Next year the magic number is 1989.....
Taken directly from the MVA website
http://www.marylandmva.com/AboutMVA/.../27300-28T.htm

To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be 20 model years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured.

To be registered as a street rod (class N), your vehicle must:
  1. be 25 model years old or older; and
  2. have been substantially altered from the manufacturer’s original design.
I'll find out for sure in the next few weeks as I'll be putting my camaro on the road. I'll try for the street rod tags. I'm gona put these on eventually anyhow. My car will be 25 in 2010.

I hope you guys are actually right though. I'd rather put Street Rod on it.