Mid-Atlantic Region Regional board for all of the Mid-Atlantic states. Discuss gatherings and get togethers.

help with a good shop in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 iroc z restoring
Engine: from 5.0 to 5.7
Transmission: from Auto to 5spd
help with a good shop in Maryland

Hey Guys
i wanted to know of any highly recommended shops in the DC Metro Area. i posted this before but the company i called may have went out of business. so I'm in need of a shop that knows Third Gen cars

i have a start issue at times if i use carb cleaner it would start. i had a shop i thought could handle this and he said the following was done
plugs and wires (replaced)
fuel Pump (replaced)
fuel pressure (rebuilt)
and a fuel treatment was added

when i got it home it ran fine for about 10 min then started to run rough
then just died with no start

i want to get a odb1 scan tool to check it but at this point i rather someone who knows these cars go thru it and get it running.

any help is appreciated
thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
Re: help with a good shop in Maryland

I live in Fairfax County.

The techs at all the qualified shops run away with their hair on fire any time a 30-year-old car with driveability issues pulls on the lot.

Why? --- Because most of the time the car has multiple issues that contribute to the driveablilty problem, and the owner rarely wants to spend the amount of money it would take to diagnose each issue and repair it.

The incompetent shops will take any job that pulls on the lot - and quite expectedly - they will generally do an incompetent job on anything that requires skill or significant investment of shop time. They will bungle the skill part, and they will rush-through/cut-corners on the time-consuming part. Oh, and did I mention that they will break **** and not tell you? Kiss your pinch welds goodbye too.

I'm going to pass-along to you a piece of advice that one of my long-time friends gave me when I got mine some years ago. He told me, in no uncertain terms, that if I'm going to keep that car, I need to do the work myself. Plain and simple.

Now, that said, if you want a fellow-third-gen shoulder to cry on, or maybe even lend a little help, you can send me a PM, and I'll meet you and I'll buy the first round of coffee. Alcohol gives me an instant headache.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A
Re: help with a good shop in Maryland

In your area, try Tony's Corvette Shop.

Or, Worth a drive to VA, Coopers Corvettes in Dumfries by Quantico Base is awesome!! Tom @ Coopers took care of my former GTA for years. Knows his stuff!!!