Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

IL Engine Machine Shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IL Engine Machine Shop

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to have an engine inspected and eventually some heads ported and polished and i'm looking for a good, reputable engine machine shop in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. Does anyone have any good experiences with a shop that isn't going to over charge me and really knows what they're doing? The engine block is a first gen 350 that has been bored .40 over and was setup as a 383 stroker prior to blowing chunks off the top of several pistons. I have it all torn down to the crankshaft and block and just want the paint stripped off, fully inspected and then help me choose a good crank, cam, connecting rods and pistons as well as do some head work. Let me know as i'm wanting to get this started soon.

Thanks in advance!
Todd
Old 09-06-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: Borg Warner 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Re: IL Engine Machine Shop

idk how far you wanna drive lol there is a great machine shop in bloomington normal called jopac with good turn around to right now they are booked up because of dirt track season though
Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 7.5 and 3.42:1

Hi Go Blue,

Advanced Engine Builders in Wheeling just completed a basic rebuild on a set of cylinder heads for me. They did a good job, but I think that they are a bit short handed so keep that in mind if you're build is time-critical. I don't have any experience with them but wanted to mention that I found another machine shop in Lakemoor called ATECO Engine and Dyno Shop. Both places have web sites that you can check out.

-Mike
Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually talking to 2 brothers that both have beautiful older muscle cars that had both built by a shop within 10 minutes of me. I'm checking them out and talking with me. It's a shop called Guy Motorsports in Gilberts. I'm hoping that they'll do the same kind of work for me as they did for the 2 brothers. Everyone is backed up right now with racing season going on. lol Thanks everyone for the answers!!!