Northern California Discussion board for Northern and Central California.

Please sign the petition for 30yr smog exempt

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help spread the word to bring back the rolling 30 smog exempt to help keep classic cars on the road not in the crusher:

Thank you for signing the "Reinstate the California 30 Year Smog Exemption" petition at iPetitions.com website.
Your signature is valuable and makes a real difference. Please encourage others to sign the petition as well. To do that, just forward the text below to everyone who might be interested:

------- FORWARD THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS -------
Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Reinstate the California 30 Year Smog Exemption"
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/casmogblows?e

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes less than a minute of your time.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Car: 2006 Ford Mustang
Engine: 4.0 V-6
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: not sure
Re: Please sign the petition for 30yr smog exempt

How does the law affect car enthusiasts??? My car is old and passes with ease ... The law is good it keeps UN-maintained cars off the road as well gross-polluters.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IrocZ/17 LS 1LE
Engine: 383/LGX
Transmission: 400/TR-3160
Axle/Gears: 3.08/3.27

Good, so you shounld mind smoging you car once a YEAR.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by NowTheBadNews
How does the law affect car enthusiasts??? My car is old and passes with ease ... The law is good it keeps UN-maintained cars off the road as well gross-polluters.
Thats not the point smoging cars cars is needed to help with the enviroment however like kairles said "EVERY YEAR" thats going to far. And i have a 76 vette that rarely sees the road, there are more miles put on it to go have it smogged then any thing else. Not to mention "limited" mods can be done and i can't even change the motor to a more fuel efficent or less poluting engine with out going throught the endless battle with the CA smog ***** to get it stamped. and how many cars pre 77 do you see on the road daily compared to 97+ model cars?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I dont think its fair to make classic cars pass smog since they never were designed for that in the first place. Keep them on the road.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kairles
Good, so you shounld mind smoging you car once a YEAR.
Don't bother me a bit smogging mine every year. It passes without a problem and has done so the last ten years. You want to drive a older car just maintain it and you'll never have a problem. If smogging it every year is something personal, just NON-OP the car end of problem. If your to cheap to not be able to afford a good tune-up and cat-converter before a smog test then fail and complain about. Thats all I've ever done to my car is a new cat and tune-up and it has passed with ease everytime.this year it was high but still passed except for the evap test but that was an easy fix. Before the second test threw a new cat on the car big deal 100 bucks installed. Car passed with ease was below every average without a problem. So if you cant afford 150.00 bucks a year on a quik tune-up and a new cat all I can say is enjoy failing or potentially failing.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 Camaro SS
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 6 speed

So are you saying, say a 72 Chevelle ss would pass todays standards the way it came off of the line in 72?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 87tpi
So are you saying, say a 72 Chevelle ss would pass todays standards the way it came off of the line in 72?
Thats comparing apples to oranges .... How can a 72 do what say even a 77 can? I'm saying if you maintain your car and keep it's emmision devices operating as designed you won't have a problem. I don't honestly see what the big deal is.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 Camaro SS
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 6 speed

I didn't see the "hounding cars between 76-93 part. I agree that if it came with emissions equiptment then it should stay and be in working order.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

I laugh at all these guys trying there seafoam, rubbing alcohol in the tank, yada yada ...... Nothing like hillbilly attempts to bandage a problem. And thats what these laws are to stop UN-MAINTAINED cars or ALTERED cars .... I'm all for that ..... I know there are guys who have high horsepower 3rd gens but they also take the time to make the electronics friendly to the changes where as most don't. But you don't see them trying hillbilly patches to pass an emmissions test. ....... EVERYTHING works together and goes hand in hand. you can't have one without the other.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IrocZ/17 LS 1LE
Engine: 383/LGX
Transmission: 400/TR-3160
Axle/Gears: 3.08/3.27

you are missing the point. they are targeting cars that don't spend much time on the road. I see more obdII cars with CEL, needing cats, and unmaitained than I see pre 80's car on the road. I don't know what you call high horsepower but Its hard to do that in CA. you are limited when it come to mods. Just because its clean out the pipe doesn't mean it will pass smog in CA.

also you shouldn't need to buy a cat every time you smog your car.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Mines a daily driver and they cant get it off the road. And as for a new cat whats the big deal 100 a year breaks dow to what nothing LOL ... If you tailor you electronics to work with your engine there is no reason why it won't pass a smog test ...... Like I said the law isn't targeting anyone it's to get un maintained cars off the road thats all. Califonia doesn't care if your car is old and desires it to be off it's precious roads. If that were the case they could just enforce mandatory safety inspections of the vehicle. Whats the hurt about wanting your car to be emmisions legal thats all california is after so whats the big deal. Besides emmisions tampering laws are federal not just limited to california. If anything my car is profiled by the people who mess with there emmisions equipment yet I don't complain I just keep my car compliant with the laws.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS

NowTheBadNews,
eat my tailpipe exhaust. I have no cats.
(see sig)
I had the sniffer put to my tail pipe a while back just for fun and it was off the charts, I love it this way. And its registered.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Laugh all you want, I will laugh if your caught at a california road side inspection and they nail you for emmisions tampering ........ People like you is why they are doing this and I'm glad to see they will be forcing cars like your to go to pickapart or become a garage ornament.
read your threads doesn't sound like your car will be a threat to the environment anytime soon LOL ......

Last edited by NowTheBadNews; 02-20-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

tree huggen hippies...
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

I'm all for this, but unfortunately, most people can't imagine ever owning a car that's 30 years old, so the only people signing a petition like this will be the vast minority of enthusiasts, which means it's not likely to pass. It'll be kind of like the medical marijuana proposition, where the only people promoting it were who? The ill? No. THE DRUGGIES!!! But hey, they did it!

*Edit: and speaking of, lol, the lunar eclipse is happening right now! Go outside and look!*

So if we band together like they did, stand in front of supermarkets, looking like burnouts, asking people *in your best, stoned, tree-hugging-hippie-California-tone*, "uhhh, dude, sign a petition to eliminate drug-testing of 30 year old cars?" Who knows? Maybe we'll win, too! But in this case, since the Feds already think CARB is nuts and is going too far, I doubt we'll meet any federal resistance.

So if it passes... hey, only 9 more years to go!

But seriously, passing the smog numbers I can agree with and live with. It's the visual that's the crock and a tool. That should be eliminated now for everyone, IMO.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 02-20-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

See now your thinking, you signature doesn't matter this will be law and nothing you can do about it but put a smile on your face and write a check every year to your local test only station. But hey when you fail a visual tell your your story to a referee. You'll have the great pleasure of making him laugh.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi

Don't think it'll do much good but what the hell right
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM

Car: 92Z28,91Z28,91Z281LE,95ZR-1,08Z06
Engine: 406, 350, 305, 350, 427
Transmission: auto, auto, 5-speed, 6spd, 6 spd
Axle/Gears: all stock

I'll keep it short, I agree with "NOWTHEBADNEWS".
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

But hey when you fail a visual tell your your story to a referee. You'll have the great pleasure of making him laugh.
I'm talking about REALLY getting it eliminated, the right way, up in Sacramento: by getting the whackos up there to see clearly, without visions of dollar signs floating around in their heads. Because that's all the visual is for: making money. It serves no other useful purpose, no matter how much propaganda is spewed by the powers-that-be. And if someone could get someone up there to do that, then a smog referee's opinion will be moot.

I'm for most "gray" areas, lol. I'm usually not one for making an issue "black-or-white." But in this case, passing a smog test shouldn't be about opinion or payola. You can "spin" it anyway you want, but it should be about the numbers: pass or fail. And like I said above, I can live with that. Passing the numbers isn't difficult. But that's all it should be about.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

How is the visual test about making money. Any emmisions device factory installed results in probably less then what 10-15 horsepower lost. So whats the point altering it. I like power like the rest but hey it's law my car must pass smog to be registered just as it must be insured. The law is just that do it or face the consequences, just seems easier to accept it then fight it and get your vehicles compliant. The state isn't against upgrade to lower vehicle emmisions AKA newer more efficient powertrains and electronics. So smog laws are not against power by any means seeing as how a LS-1 puts out more power then any gen1 engine. Even a LT1 is more emmisions friendly ....... So how can you say this is a move by the state to get our cars off the road it's just a move to lower emmissions and thats it. There is no other motive contrary to what you think. If you put a donor LTx or LSx into your car with all donor parts functining correctly there not a referee who will not approve it simple as that.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

NowTheBadNews, see you at the gtg?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

Like I said petitioning won't do a thing. The state will get what it wants when it comes to new emmisions tests. Didn't the evap test prove that and it's here to stay just like the IM240. And soon enough other states will follow californias footsteps in reducing emmisions. ...... I find it funny only the younger crowd is opposed to this and yet not many doubt what I am saying, why because this is reality and everyone knows it.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Supreme Member

so your not going to the gtg? unless to protest?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned

Whats there to protest for me. LOL I am with the tough new regulations and wish they would spread throughout the country, If my car couldn't pass it would be gone simple as that. Yeah I love the car but frustration outweighs car payments if it couldn't pass. None of you have offered any reasons why you think you could turn around any upcoming smog laws what does that tell you. Heck get the older croud in here and lets hear there view on things to come and to what extent california will go to enforce smog laws ....... I don't think there are many that chose to make alot of power yet make a gross polluter doing it. I think the majority of people prefer power and emmisions compliant and maintain there vehicles to meet standards. ...... But if you want prove me wrong.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by TraviZ
tree huggen hippies...
Just because you care to breathe air with less smog and soot in it doesnt make you a tree hugger.

I am ok with the current laws, but I will fight tooth and nail to stop them from creating new ones.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi

Smog IS an important issue, but jesus... the laws are bad enough here already. This is the reason I got something older, and the reason I don't want another thirdgen... I'll just have to get a clean one and keep it stock

Well that's not true, you can actually do quite a few mods to them (all having CARB numbers), including a small cam and a supercharger
Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

Through this all I still haven't seen one comment as to why you feel this law isn't beneficial. What has really changed in the last 20 years? ..... The predecessor test to the IM240 was harder to pass then the IM240. Going to a non test only they went over your car with a fine tooth comb and fail you for miss routed vacumn lines etc. ...... So you have to have a few emmisions devices and oh my god a check engine light functioning, Todays test is simple to pass if everything is in neat order under your hood they don't question a thing simple as that. The max numbers are so high it would take something serious to fail a test. I still would like to hear your reason why you feel your cars should be exempt from new testing procedures etc etc.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO

i got news automobiles gasoline powererd are only 10 percent of smog

hows that

they pick on the little guy x millions who drive and have to pay

smog is about money lets face it. only like 20 percent is about emissions these days
Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Car: 1986 firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto

the only thing that bugs me is the carb number bull sh*t. and a car shouldnt have to be smogged on a yearly basis.

if you dont want your cats on your car take them off or just do what i did gut them
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

I'de like to see yearly smog checks. If you have to register your car yearly then why not smog them as well. I also think California should up the gross polluter buy back thing to give owners more incentive to get into a newer vehicle.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Car: 1986 firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto

I'de like to see yearly smog checks. If you have to register your car yearly then why not smog them as well. I also think California should up the gross polluter buy back thing to give owners more incentive to get into a newer vehicle.

and more debt?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sav_syn_sptz
and more debt?
whats an extra 60 bucks a year to promote cleaner air.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

what is 60 bucks? a newer vehicle is more then 60 bucks. Why don't you trash your 83 and get into something newer.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

Cause I can afford to keep it. I do have a newer car anyways but thanks for the advice.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

I'm so glad your such a jerk towards us. I am happy that you are so correct in what you say that you would rather be right then to have friends here. Good day sir.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

I feel compelled to go be a smog technician. Does anyone know the processes involved in obtaining a smog inspectors license. I would be a asset to california I think.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

I hope no one helps you.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Banned

I'm so glad your such a jerk towards us. I am happy that you are so correct in what you say that you would rather be right then to have friends here. Good day sir.
Hmmmm, I never thought about it that way. Wow life without internet friends, that was deep. Why I ask myself, because I chose the environment over performance of my car. Is that really so bad in itself? Having a clean environment is a unanimously easy decision viewed by probably 80% of the population. The minority of performance enthusiasts can never match the votes of pro-environment persons. I sure many admire your 400hp engine but it should be kept of the road and limited to a closed course.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Supreme Member

Internet friends is all your going to have. I Know probably 90% of the nor-cal members in person.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Only 400 HP? Shoot I probably have 450 HP and will pass emissions tests as clean as stock. The CA test isnt difficult. And the parts suck up, what? 5-10 hp at the most? That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And I like not having my passenger compartment filled with carbon monoxide choking me out.

I just laugh at the hilljacks on this whole board who trash their emissions devices and think they just turned their 15 second slug into a 13 second muscle car.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

Internet friends is all your going to have. I Know probably 90% of the nor-cal members in person.
Thats impressive, get together and head to the state capitol with the petition and don't take no for an answer. I'm sure with all of you together you have a fighting chance at success. Be sure to post pictures though outta be interesting.Best of luck on your petition!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Axle/Gears: 3.27/9-bolt

Okay, we're done here.

All the pertinent info is in this thread, sign it if you agree, if not move along.