Northern California Discussion board for Northern and Central California.

newb in need of some 305 upgrade info/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newb in need of some 305 upgrade info/ideas

Jwydler24 , Today 06:22 P
Let me start by saying that I am brand new to the forums so please forgive me for bringing up a subject that has been touched on a billion times! I picked up a 92 RS cheap, and have always loved the 3rd gen camaro look. I wanted to do an lx swap but the more I think about it I am not sure I want to go through all of the California hassle of a Referee, etc. it is my understanding that an LT swap is basically the same headaches, and may not be worth it. So do I pick up a SBC 350 block, build it, throw a good set of heads and a mild cam , use all the accessories off of the 305? Will this let me avoid a referee, and can I get enough smog legal power out of the setup?

those of you with experience on the matter can hopefully provide me some insight. Being a newb, part of me feels like LS motors are great but dropping one in will really tie my hands as I will basicallly have to leave it stock to get by a referee, where I can go from SBC 305 to 350 under the radar and get away with much more.

any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Re: newb in need of some 305 upgrade info/ideas

Well, you would need headers that are CARB compliant, if not, you can use the TPI manifolds and Y-pipe. Some say a 3" exhaust, however, 2.5" will allegedly flow fine up to 250 hp, and the loss at 300 hp according to some sources is only 6-10 hp.

Put in a larger cam, an LT1 would be good, an L98 ok, or a 5.0/5.7 vortec cam(with 1.6 rockers).

Learn some chip tuning.

Ultimate TBI mods, and adjustable fuel pressure mod.

Not being from Cali, I'm not quite sure what modifications you can get away with and what ones you can't. I'd definitely do the ones listed.

Get an open element air filter (you'll notice a seat of the pants improvement up top with it, not much), and when inspection time comes, just throw on the stock one.

Not sure if the edelbrock TBI intake is CARB compliant or not, if it is, but I believe it does flow slightly (emphasis on slightly better than stock). I'd do this one last, if at all.

Different gears in the rear will make it quicker, 3rd gens came with many different ratios, if you have manual, you're probably at 2.73 or if manual at 3.08. 3.24 and 3.42 can be found in thirdgens with the 10 bolt.

If auto, get an S-10 torque converter for the 4.3L V6.

Now, if you want to just swap the engine. You'll either have to keep the 305 induction system, and then have a custom tune made (or made yourself) or go the hole pain in the butt route of ECM and harness swap, like with LS or LT1. Also, if going with a stronger than stock 350, if you have a manual trans, you'd probably want a new one.

Do you want quick, with small block sound, but 20+ mph? Keep it and upgrade it.

What power level do you want? Are you willing to do the work, spend the money? Or will it just be another running car torn apart and left gathering dust in someones garage, only to be parted out when you get fed up with it?

Last edited by brettr81; 06-30-2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old 01-20-2019, 01:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 86 trans-am 1LE G92 WS.6
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 2.77 soon to have 3.45
Re: newb in need of some 305 upgrade info/ideas

I'm running a 204/214 cam .420/440 lift with L30 305 vortec heads and a stealth ram making over 300HP easy