Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

drag racing jobs

Old 01-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drag racing jobs

Hi eveyone does anyone know of any Highperformance shops that are looking for a technician. I graduated from gm school a year ago with an associates, I have about 2 years experience at a gm dealership but i've been working on cars much longer. I am in New York but traveling to Jersey isn't a problem. Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
you're better off going to dealerships and then getting your foot in the door at a performance/custom shop, if you can find some. I have buddies that own shops in the chicago area and they don't pay nearly as much as a dealership would pay for mechanics.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a few freinds that were on a top fuel team, its pretty much a "who you know" type deal to get on one. i think bersteins guys make about 65-70k a year. also alot of teams wont hire crew guys that are married or have kids.

for just high performance stuff, most succesful places the guys started out doing medial jobs at shops learning and doing things to make a name for themselves then branch out on their own. with the efi systems of today, knowing how to succesfully tune a performance car is a must. theres shops out there that dont do anything else but tune engines on a dyno.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
I'm sure high performance shops are no different. I do diesel engines. We're not going to let an unskilled, no knowledge/no experience apprentice jump right in and rebuild a $40,000+ engine.

If you do get into a performance shop, expect to start at the ground level until they can see what kind of knowledge and skill you have. With experience, you move up the ladder to more important and skilled jobs.

Some shops may not have the manpower or the time to train apprentices. Without experience, they may not want you because training one person is paying 2 employees to do one job in twice the amount of time.

Get in somewhere that does general repairs to get more job knowledge. Keep knocking on doors until you get in to where you want. Working at dealerships is limited experience unless you want to specialize on a particular brand but it's still a place to gain experience.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42
If you are willing to move theres a lot of NHRA race teams based out of the Indianapolis area. I'd search the net for addresses and start sending resume's if you are really serious about it. Force, Pedregon, Schumacher, ect. all have shops in Brownsburg, IN which is in the western suburbs of Indy.
Theres quite a few jobs around here in the racing industry with all the shops in the Gasoline Alley area too. Theres chassis builders, engine builders, fabrication, dyno shops, fuel injection, carbs, safety equipment..almost any type of race related shop you can think of is there. Theres also some IRL teams with shops here too if you are also interested in that type of racing.