Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

86 Z28 stroker build for NASA racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Z28 stroker build for NASA racing

Hey everyone,

Thought this would make a good place to track my process on my build that seems to have been indecisive until recently. I purchased my z28 2 years ago with the idea of just dropping a carbed 350, better rear end and race ready......that just seems to simple and not wild enough.

I've loved these cars from when I was kid and played with cars.

Fortunately I've made a significant amount of progress getting this car stripped down, clean/ paint underbody, and back on all 4 wheels to get started on the cage. Being that this car will be competing in the NASA American Iron racing series, I have much learn ahead of me in preparing everything per the rules. The best part is how open the power rules are....that being I must not exceed 9.5:1 power to weight ratio. I have a nasty stroker motor build powering this beast..

My next plans are the brakes, I've seen corvette brakes on these cars and that's going to a must..need dual piston calipers, adjustable proportioning valve, hydraulic rear brake lock and what else is need to make sure I can stop fairly quick doing 100. I'll be browsing the forums for who might be selling a solid kit.

I'm all ears to anyone who may have experience with this series. I'm very new to all this but very much willing to learn.

Stay driven,
Corey
Ready to go to the shop for 8 pt cage
Putting the front suspension back in
Interior and HVAC removed

Australian 9 bolt hooked up with great Founders performance parts
​​​​​​​
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: 86 Z28 stroker build for NASA racing

We have around a dozen AI racers on our wheels running in the series.

The most important thing to do above all else is to read the rulebook and understand it correctly. Many modifications can bump you up (into the unlimited) or bounce you out completely - be aware of what those are.

In terms of power - more is better, but a 350hp 3500lb car is not going to be competitive against 280hp, 2800lb cars - this is a fact. Extra weight is not something you want when it hurts handling, braking, driveline parts, and lonegevity. I would suggest shooting to get the weight as low as the rules allow and make the power follow suit, per the rules.

2 piston 13" brakes (C4HD, LS1, whatever) will work great - but you might want to use 2pc rotors and 4 piston calipers from the start.

What wheels are you going to run?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 PM

Studying the rule book is the first plan of action....

With the motor build, I'm confident in saying it will easily excess 400 hp but then comes the trans...I only have the stock 700r4 right now that I might blow quickly, but I'm up for a surprise of it last. I've been looking into those Jerico 4spd trans, Brin or Bert that I've seen put in these asphalt stock cars and pro trucks....maybe through a mini clutch in too.

While the cage is being worked on I'll be sourcing the brake setup and assembling the motor in a couple weeks.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Even a built 700R4 would only a last a few laps before the trans dies due to excess fluid temps.

Are you going to restrict the motor? At 400hp, you will need to have a 4000lb car to make the rule work for you.

Originally Posted by Metalizer
Studying the rule book is the first plan of action....

With the motor build, I'm confident in saying it will easily excess 400 hp but then comes the trans...I only have the stock 700r4 right now that I might blow quickly, but I'm up for a surprise of it last. I've been looking into those Jerico 4spd trans, Brin or Bert that I've seen put in these asphalt stock cars and pro trucks....maybe through a mini clutch in too.

While the cage is being worked on I'll be sourcing the brake setup and assembling the motor in a couple weeks.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:40 PM

You know Paul I'm glad you pointed that out, I completely misinterpreted the rules in regard to that....I was projecting to be at 6-7:1. I may need to consider registering in the extreme (unlimited) class or building a second motor with less power...just a strong 350 should do

I'll probably play around doing drift competitions and few SCCA races to get a strong feel for the car.

Also looking at the rules...I can ONLY run a manual transmission, probably for good reason.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, that makes much more sense. The whole 9.5:1 threw me off.

3rd gens are very competitive in AI and CMC, but not AI unlimited.

If you are looking for wheel and tire options - hit me up with questions, I make 17" wheels for the 3rd gens - if you weren't already aware.

Originally Posted by Metalizer
You know Paul I'm glad you pointed that out, I completely misinterpreted the rules in regard to that....I was projecting to be at 6-7:1. I may need to consider registering in the extreme (unlimited) class or building a second motor with less power...just a strong 350 should do

I'll probably play around doing drift competitions and few SCCA races to get a strong feel for the car.

Also looking at the rules...I can ONLY run a manual transmission, probably for good reason.