Swiching over to the dark side. - Page 2 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Swiching over to the dark side.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #51
Supreme Member

Re: Swiching over to the dark side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBowtie View Post
MWC are great guys. I am glad I was introduced to them by another member.

​​​​​​​Eric, Kevin and Jason are all very helpful.
Im glad i got pointed in their direction as well. I honestly didnt know what I wanted at first. So many bash the S60 because of the weight and power it possible eats up. But after talking to them about the weight... roughy 70lbs over the stock 10 bolt. And considering the pinion angle which is much better then a 12 bolt or 9 inch, they helped me decide on this rear end. And I was very happy that they didnt try to sell me more then I needed, as I was on a major budget. I know spending 2500 bucks is alot but ever hundered dollars counts.

They contacted me today to let me know the order is sent off to strange and to exspect the rear end in 2 or 3 weeks. Helps that im buying a strange brake kit from them so I dont have to send in any backing plates.

Raced yesterdy. Ran 11.682 11.672, 11.669, 60 foots were. 1.589 1.592 and 1.599. 10 bolts still taking the lashing quite well. Hopefully it stays together so i can sell it in a month and recupe some money. Lost 1st round. .006 red light. Pissssed me off perty bad but it just wasent my day. I ran a 11.672 on a 11.66 dial. The car is so easy to dial in because its consistant. Im just off on the tree still.

Time trials my Rts were, .052 and a .063 Those are not good but i was happy with them considering my Rts since I have done this V8 swap and because i know my car wont run more then 1 hund off its dial in if not dead on. Then I go out and go .006 red. Very flustrating.

Ive been racing for 15 years now and this set up is hard for me to dial in .020-.030 rts constantly. Im getting better but I feel like im a rookie all over again. Racing a turbo V6 car for the last 6 years is so much different then a V8 that pulls the tires off the ground and leaves so fast then seems slow as helll down track... Ive got to figure this puppy out and I think seat time is the only thing that will help at this time.

Last edited by fasteddi; 07-31-2017 at 04:19 PM.
fasteddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #52
Supreme Member

Time trials my Rts were, .052 and a .063 Those are not good but i was happy with them considering my Rts since I have done this V8 swap and because i know my car wont run more then 1 hund off its dial in if not dead on. Then I go out and go .006 red. Very flustrating.

Ive been racing for 15 years now and this set up is hard for me to dial in .020-.030 rts constantly. Im getting better but I feel like im a rookie all over again. Racing a turbo V6 car for the last 6 years is so much different then a V8 that pulls the tires off the ground and leaves so fast then seems slow as helll down track... Ive got to figure this puppy out and I think seat time is the only thing that will help at this time.

Someone is going to say it, might as well be me - OLD AGE, things slowing down maybe???

Seriously though - you're doing one hell of a job with your combo. (no smiley for PROUD)
NoEmissions84TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #53

That's why us old guys like delay box racing. Start getting slow on your reaction times, add some delay into the box to compensate.
AlkyIROC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #54
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA View Post

Someone is going to say it, might as well be me - OLD AGE, things slowing down maybe???

Seriously though - you're doing one hell of a job with your combo. (no smiley for PROUD)
Thanks in really do appreciate it. The set up has worked so well for me. I didn't think it would be this fast let alown so constant. I have a 2 step on board and a brake. I have the just in time trans button where I can adjust the shims and springs. I want to use it so bad to help me out, but I have to finish off the year with 2 more races in my current class which doesn't allow that.

Next year I do plan to run sportsman but pro as well. Pro I can have a brake and 2 step. Much harder class but I'm ready for the challenge and I can double enter the car each race so I'll have lots of seat time.

Sometimes I swear I'm getting old, because back in the day id race anything and pull a decent....050 and under light. Didn't matter what it was. 12 flat sportsman car or a ford escape that ran 18s that you had to deep stage and then go when the 3rd amber just came on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyIROC View Post
That's why us old guys like delay box racing. Start getting slow on your reaction times, add some delay into the box to compensate.
Id love to be at that point where I could use a box. Hopefully in 5 or 10 years or so the car will be at that point. I want to make the engine last one or 2 more years before a major rebuild. Then I can upgrade the motor better so it can be a 9.90-10.50 car or so. Then be a dual pro/super pro worthy car. Just takes time and I have to go though the steps as my budget allows. Thankfully I have a decent suspension set up (the butt end at least) , a 750hp worthy trans and a bulletproof rear end on its way.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #55
Supreme Member

Well I almost have all my parts rounded up for the fall/winter build.

2-3 weeks wait on the s60 still

I have the driveshaft from strange, the 240/[email protected] dur.. 541/.544 lift cam, Victor jr. Intake tall one, my 8 inch 4800rpm ptc converter and now a set of afr 195 competition ported cnc sbc heads on the way.

A good friend is a vendor for afr, he's been trying to convince me to buy some for a bit now. I possibly have some one who wants my old dart heads so it prompted me to look at new aluminum heads for flow and over all weight savings.

I was amazed that he got 195s on his 383 and picked up 5mph and dropped .4 in at in the 1/4 mile after switching from dart platinum 200cc heads. He runsna [email protected] 383 thirdgen. I guess afr is very good at flow vs cross sectional and volume of the runners. I remember back when 220s were the only thing my friends and I would ever put on a 383. Now 195s can flow 300 cfm even at low lift. Quite amazing. Now if I was reving to 7k i would have upped to the 210s all day. Of if I couldn't have gotten the competition cnc porting I would have done the same.

After deliberation for hrs with a few vendors and close gear heads I settled on the 195s. But these are the competition porting not the street version. So they flow upwards of 300cfm at .500 he also set me up the the correct springs to run with the cam I have.

I got them for 100 bucks more then summit sells the street style heads for so I was very pleased. It should get me to my high 10 second goal and ahead a solid 60lbs. Those old school dart heads I have.. which are stock casting and iirc 15 years old, weight app. 64lbs a piece. Heavy things. The afr 195 are app. 28lbs each.

Last edited by fasteddi; 08-07-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #56
Supreme Member

The heads are here and look like works of art. Hopefully they perform like they look. All this new stuff won't be going on the car for at least a month if not this winter.

Still waiting on the s60 first. No sense in adding any more hp without swapping that out first.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 AM   #57
Supreme Member

Impressive.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #58
Supreme Member

"2-3 weeks wait on the s60 still"

You may hear that every 2-3 weeks for awhile. Or you may get lucky
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #59
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOP350 View Post

Yaa we shall see. It was 4 weeks from mwc then strange emailed me Monday said 2-3 weeks. I was a week ago Monday that i made the initial order.

Long as I get it by next spring I'll be fine.....
Old 08-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #60
Supreme Member

Quote:

I just got a phone call with my tracking number the S60 is on its way it took a little under 3 weeks total I'm very excited to get this rear end in a few days I'll make sure update with some pictures
Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #61
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
I just got a phone call with my tracking number the S60 is on its way it took a little under 3 weeks total I'm very excited to get this rear end in a few days I'll make sure update with some pictures
That's great! I know guys that have waited for 6-8 months for things that were "instock" from them.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #62
Supreme Member

Quote:
That's great! I know guys that have waited for 6-8 months for things that were "instock" from them.

Got it today. Pics will be uploaded tonight!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:22 AM   #63
Supreme Member

It's a thing of beauty!! I may try to swap this puppy in this weekend since the points races are over for the year I ended up in 15th out of about 45 people I didn't make the cut for Indy by 3 round wins but I feel I did quite well this year for being a new set up.

Last edited by fasteddi; 08-22-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #64
Supreme Member

oooooooh.....aaaaaaaah....

is it in yet?
mw66nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #65
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw66nova View Post
oooooooh.....aaaaaaaah....

is it in yet?

haha I wish. I plan to paint it with por15 tommorow after work. Then my hopes are I can do the swap over the weekend.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:43 AM   #66
Supreme Member

Nice A$$ (I mean rear-end).
Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #67
Supreme Member

Quote:
Nice A$$ (I mean rear-end).

Haha Thanks. Itll look really nice under the butt end of the ole camaro.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #68
Supreme Member

Well no updates. Had a few personal and family issues arise. Suxs because I got the call a week ago to represent Milan dragway as a alternate for the division 3 bracket finals in indy!!! I sadly had to turn it down because I just cant swing the time off of work right now. Family comes first no matter what. I've had to travel from where i live in Ohio out to Nebraska 2 times now. That's a long haul for me.

But the fact that I earned that chance is amazing. I racked up 99 points this year. It's the first year I didn't mess with the car really and tired my best to do well. Only missing one race.

I have a feeling next year will be even better.

I plan to race 1 or 2 more times this year for fun when I can.

I still have alot of stuff to do to the car this fall and winter. The s60 is waiting for me, the afr heads, the ptc converter, the Victor jr intake, and xe284 cam as well. Hopefully those things take the car from a 11.60 car to a 10.90 car as I plan to double enter alot more next year and run spt and pro.

Pic of the cool numbers I finally got on the car.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #69
Supreme Member

The ole 10 bolt is out. took about a hr to remove it and i got the s60 ready to toss in along with the head swap. Figure i may as well do a bit of racing with them before winter.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #70
Supreme Member

Im also tossing on the afr heads and the victor jr intake i have. As you can see the old darts weighed about 57lbs each and the new afrs 27lbs each. So at the minumum im saving a good 60lbs up front and hopefully adding detination resistance with the aluminum heads. Hope to have it all buttoned up rear end and all monday or tuesday afternoon so i can race it next weekend.

I just need head gaskets still. .027 to be exact as the piston is .013 below the deck so I want to aim for the perfect .040 quench if i can. May as well get mls gaskets so i dont have to worrie about getting new ones evertime.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #71
Supreme Member

Well the s60 is almost in. Just need to attach the tq arm. The drag bar. Then hook up the brake lines and bleed them. So far this rear end was a cake walk to install. The driveshaft I got from strange was a easy fit.

Going to finish it up after work and also finish up the head swap.

I have the drag version so it's not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be. About 30lbs more then the 10 bolt I took out. Helps I have a race spool and axles.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #72
TGO Supporter

Strange Engineering Make some NICE stuff !! they are about 45 minutes from my home they have great quality, fast service , offer Big discounts for current military & Veterans I have slammed insane 4700 RPM Nitrous Clutch Dumps at my Strange 12 bolt launches like a champ every time

MY-92-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #73
Supreme Member

I just need to lash in the valves, set the timing and toss a carb back on and the heads and intake are good to go.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #74
Supreme Member

It tis alive again.

I still have to finish the rear end up and beat the crap outta the inner fenders as before i had about 1/2 inch of clearance back there and now i have about 1/8 a inch so i need to massage it a bit to fit the 10 inch tires in there but its coming along well.

The new intake and heads definitely look nice IMO

Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #75
Supreme Member

That #1 plug wire looks out of place. But it won't burn on the headers.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:48 AM   #76
Supreme Member

Quote:
That #1 plug wire looks out of place. But it won't burn on the headers.

oh yea they are just tossed on so I could start it up. I have to reroute alot of the wiring to clean it up. Ran the rear end for about 20 miles last night on stands. Works good.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #77

Edlebrock says a 2 inch carb spacer will optimize the setup on that intake. If you have room, might give that a try. It did help on my similar setup.
FirstBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:28 AM   #78
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBird View Post
Edlebrock says a 2 inch carb spacer will optimize the setup on that intake. If you have room, might give that a try. It did help on my similar setup.

2 more inches holy crap. Lol well this is the victor that has the 1 inch taller the the normal victor jr. So I think I will try this for a bit. You can clearly see the spacer added to the casting here. Most all victor jrs are not this tall. It's a more expensive one as well.

but thanks for the tip. I will probly be running a adjustable ez plate or something close, next spring which is one more inch higher. I can manage about 2 more inches in there tops then the carb will betoo close for comfort to the 4 inch cowl. Right now the 4 inch filter fits in the cowl like a glove.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #79

Yep. Mine is not a Super Victor. Just the Victor Jr. Good luck with your upgrades.
FirstBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #80
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBird View Post
Yep. Mine is not a Super Victor. Just the Victor Jr. Good luck with your upgrades.
Mines not a super it's a jr. But they make alot of different jrs. Some cnc ones, some taller, the original..exc. one having a 1 inch taller casting, that's what I have.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #81
Supreme Member

S60 in and everything is adjusted right. Can feel a major difference with the 4.10 gears over the 3.23s that were in the 10 bolt. Have to work tommorow so no racing but hopefully next Sunday if I don't work we are racing.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #82
Supreme Member

That is beautiful.. I hope it works as good as it looks.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #83
Supreme Member

Quote:
That is beautiful.. I hope it works as good as it looks.

Thanks. I know setting up the angles of everything was time consuming. Took me a good hr or so to set the drag bar, pinion angle, and the lca position.

This rear has disk brakes so I added a proportion valve and once I got it dialed in, i have much better control over the brakes. Stopping from 115mph week after week is tiring with the stock stuff. I still have to swap the front stocker set up to the areospace kit I have which should really help alot!

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >