Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Front tow strap on a Trans Am

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Front tow strap on a Trans Am

Looking for options on how to mount a front tow strap on our 88 GTA without cutting any holes in the front bumper. I'm looking to use a strap similar to this one: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...8148/overview/

Is the radiator core support strong enough to bolt this to?
Is this something that will need to come out a foglight opening somehow? IE: remove the foglight for track days

Any pictures of how anyone has done this would be appreciated? Other options that don't require cutting into the body panels are also appreciated.

The rear is accounted for using the tie down points that were added to the rear axle for trailer tie downs. These are already installed and should be adequate.

https://www.cbrperformanceproducts.c.../tow_hooks.htm
Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Front tow strap on a Trans Am

That's a cool strap design. If you made the end like a seatbelt buckle, it could easily be stored in the car when not in use.

All the times, I've been towed back to the pits or towed onto a trailer, I've just hooked a strap to the rad support. It's not like you're trying to tow yourself out of a ditch or something like that.

Those tow hooks are good for tying down a car in a trailer but I wouldn't use them for towing the car. The front spoiler sits too low and will get damaged.

There are some road course cars that have a metal loop sticking out of a fog light hole that a tow hook goes through. Their rules require them to have a mount like that all the time. I know at least on car here on TGO with a similar mount.

I really like that strap idea. I think that's going to be one of my projects for my car. Doesn't need to be mounted low. Can easily go under the hood to the top of the rad support. At one time, I had a hole through my Lexan windshield that a tube with a loop attached to it could go through and slip into another tube I had welded to the roll cage. When I cut out the cage to redo it, I never reinstalled the tube on the a-pillar bar.

Also look to see what S&W race cars has to offer for different tow mounts.
I'd also suggest checking Ed Quay but the online catalog has been down for a long time.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
That's a cool strap design. If you made the end like a seatbelt buckle, it could easily be stored in the car when not in use.

All the times, I've been towed back to the pits or towed onto a trailer, I've just hooked a strap to the rad support. It's not like you're trying to tow yourself out of a ditch or something like that.
The main use for this is to pass tech at events that require a front tow hook/strap. I'm hoping to never use it to actually have to pull the car back on track. Looks like you're in agreement with me that the radiator support is capable of holding for a short tow back to the pit area if necessary.

Those tow hooks are good for tying down a car in a trailer but I wouldn't use them for towing the car. The front spoiler sits too low and will get damaged.
Again mainly need to pass tech. These would work for a tug back onto track but not for any type of distance towing. Mainly I use them to tie down the rear of the car while on the trailer.

There are some road course cars that have a metal loop sticking out of a fog light hole that a tow hook goes through. Their rules require them to have a mount like that all the time. I know at least on car here on TGO with a similar mount.
I have a metal loop like that for the Camaro but can't find one or a good way to attach it for the Firebird nose without cutting a slot in the nose for the loop to come through. But there are other people looking at it so maybe a solution will come up.

Fortunately the tracks that require tow hooks also have actual tow trucks to pull off the truly damaged cars vs just needing to tug someone out of the wet grass and back onto the track.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird 'vert, 91 Formula
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn w/ 3.73's, 3.42

I use the factory loops under the radiator when trailering but agree that they wouldn't do well towing without potentially damaging the nose. I haven't been able to find any easy bolt on solution though so may end up just fabbing something.

These are cool though: https://www.cbrperformanceproducts.c.../tow_hooks.htm
Going to order a pair as I use axle straps for the rear currently but these would make life easier!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ed1LE
These are cool though: https://www.cbrperformanceproducts.c.../tow_hooks.htm
Going to order a pair as I use axle straps for the rear currently but these would make life easier!
There isn't even a comparison between these and axle straps for ease of use when strapping to the trailer. Just not having to worry about the brake lines makes these worth having on every car.