Pacific Northwest Region Regional discussion board for WA, OR, ID, and BC.

WA exhaust law? (Those who live in WA encouraged to read!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WA exhaust law? (Those who live in WA encouraged to read!)

Anybody here from WA familiar w/ RCW 46.37.390? This is a rather discouraging section I've recently read into regarding aftermarket exhaust systems on cars...

--------------------------------
(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

--------------------------

Or in other words, it's basically saying any type of exhaust set-up that is "louder than stock", is illegal. It however, fails to clearly define what "louder than stock" or "too loud" is. No Db limit rating. Nothing. If it was really about being too loud though, it would apply to all vehicles, instead of those 25 years old or newer, don't you think?

I'm curious as to how many of you w/modded exhaust systems have had to deal w/this law? Other people I've talked to tell me that police mainly tend to pick on imports, or will mainly only cite you for it if they pull you over for something else first. However, it's considered a primary offense, so pretty much, they can give you a ticket simply if they feel like it.

Opinions? I'm seriously considering starting some kind of petition for amending it, even if it'd be a difficult battle.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Re: WA exhaust law? (Those who live in WA encouraged to read!)

I've got an aftermarket exhaust on all my cars... never had a single issue with it ever, and I've been pulled over lots and lots of times.

The wording is a little odd, too. It says "modify"... well, I didn't modify my exhaust, I replaced it. I've seen the RCW before but I've never heard of anyone getting popped for it before.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

I have had 2 tickets in the past... all tossed out!!

now going with true duels and 2 single chamber Flowmasters.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC T-TOP
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-R4

I know the cops on Whidbey don't mess with the muscle car crowd too bad, but the import guys with fart cans gets beat up every once in a while.

Last edited by chevysquid; 12-11-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Hmm. Yeah, I've been told that it's largely used as a profiling law to target ricers and tuners the most. But I've also heard these citations get dropped most of the time, because the wording is too vague for most cases to be proved against the driver (As in, the only way would be to have some giant database full of stock exhaust Db output ratings, and a measuring tool).

Either way, doesn't federal law trump state law too? Federal law allows for anything under 95 db, and I would imagine most mild set-ups are much quieter than that. Regardless, I say WA needs to quit taking such cheap shots at people when the state decides it needs some extra money .
Old 07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Flightoficarus
Hmm. Yeah, I've been told that it's largely used as a profiling law to target ricers and tuners the most. But I've also heard these citations get dropped most of the time, because the wording is too vague for most cases to be proved against the driver (As in, the only way would be to have some giant database full of stock exhaust Db output ratings, and a measuring tool).

Either way, doesn't federal law trump state law too? Federal law allows for anything under 95 db, and I would imagine most mild set-ups are much quieter than that. Regardless, I say WA needs to quit taking such cheap shots at people when the state decides it needs some extra money .
Nail on the Head!!

just look at the tax they put on Candy and Pop!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Oh, no kidding! A buddy of mine who works for Pepsi was down at the capital building not too long ago w/a large rally of guys from various soft drink companies down there raising hell about it, since it failed to pass multiple voting sessions, but the state insisted on voting on it over and over again, and was finally able to push it through this time (my suspicion senses are tingling).

Part of that tax was also an increase on cigarettes and domestic (mass produced) beer too. Cigs are close to $10 a pack after sales tax in some parts of downtown Seattle now! (friend of mine paid $9.95 for a pack last weekend) Thank goodness I don't smoke, and tend to stick to microbrew/import beer
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Car: 83 camaro l69
Engine: turbo lsx
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: disk rear, 10bolt.

ive had a few of these tickets, but they were all in my imports, never in the camaro, good thing its a 83
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

id imagine this would be a secondary law, or ticket rather, if the cop reaaallly wants to be a dick and you were screwing around and get caught they could slap you with this. It kind of concerns me though because im in the middle of moving back to Port Orchard from AZ, and ive got edelbrock TES headers, 3in Ypipe to a 3in intermediate all the way back to my flowmaster muffler (sucks i know but it was free) and its got a good tone behind it but when i downshift it has a pretty loud roll off that can be heard a block away, with my luck ill get ticketed with this.

But like everyone else mentioned im sure this was aimed at imports, no matter how loud i think my exhaust is my buddy can pull up in his TII RX7 and make me sound like a prius lol

It is really odd they didnt set a DB limit though, AZ police started carrying DB meters beause we passed a similar law a while back and i know ive come close to the threshold once or twice, morale of the story is no open headers? lol
Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Car: Dakota 4.7 4x4, Camaro RS puky 2.8
Engine: 4.7,2.8
Transmission: 5speed, auto, auto

Yes my car is: 38yrs old....hehe
Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4

What it means is your not supposed to play with the setup. Like for instance if you decided I think i will toss out my muffler completely... Although when I first bought my TA there was a hole about the size of a football in my muffler and I never got pulled over... Even with a Magnaflow exhaust setup she still growls and she isnt afraid to be heard and i havent gotten pulled over. So as long as you keep a muffler you should be fine. Just dont go and tamper with your muffler is what they are saying.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 327
Axle/Gears: 3.23

You get what you vote for. People of WA need to stop voting for idiots. There are some iin the legistlature wwho would like to ban our cars period.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jchaussee
You get what you vote for. People of WA need to stop voting for idiots. There are some iin the legistlature wwho would like to ban our cars period.
That will never happen until King County falls into the Ocean.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 327
Axle/Gears: 3.23

That would be a happy day douglas. Perhaps bellingham could go along with king county. Ahhh. To dream
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 AM

Car: Dakota 4.7 4x4, Camaro RS puky 2.8
Engine: 4.7,2.8
Transmission: 5speed, auto, auto

so true....
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Car: White 84 z28
Engine: Chevy 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Posi and?

Dude me personally i have aftermarket exhaust thats much louder then stock and its fine. Never stopped by cop for that. I did however rev my engine in parking lot when no one was looking and set off a car alarm, always fun
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 PM

My exhaust is pretty loud but I have never had to deal with cops hahaha
Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI L03 V8
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 W/ Corvette shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2:73 open

This bill holds no significance in it of its self, but attached bills are why this was really made, and supporters of the people pushing these types of bills will pay up the right people to pass it, and those people stand to gain money and popularity from/in these crowds, and by gaining popularity they gain votes. Screw em. It's hardly enforceable anyway with the wide variety of vehicles out there, and as far as I know the D ratings are not taken by the manufacturers of these cars.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 584
Transmission: TSI Glide
Axle/Gears: Quick performance 9 inch

Ive been pulled over for that....... nothing came of it though. The cop wanted to see what was makin all the noise! lol
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 PM

Car: '84 Z28
Engine: '02 LS1
Transmission: '02 T56
Axle/Gears: LS1 10-bolt 3.73 w/Auburn Pro

I got pulled over for that once (in addition to too dark tint) in my '96 Subaru Wagon. It had a big resonator tip on the back and 10% tint all around.

The police officer told me the only way to be in compliance with the letter of the law was to take my car to a dealership and have them return my exhaust system to stock.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 AM

Go forth my son and protest this law...and remember that the FED law rules over state law, most of the time...and your also correct in having a db level to be judge by, in fact if you call all the Exhaust companys that sell mod kits, they had to have proven their system to the Gov. watch dogs before they could market it...so its been aproved by Dept of Trans, pull all that data up and take it to the courts, however you well find that most imports buy Exhaust from places like Japan, that don't have Exhaust laws, they are loud as F*$k and just blow the chart off the db level. I'm in Kuwait right now supporting our troops, you should hear some of these Lambo's and Ferrari's over here...my God are they loud, its like being at the race's in F-1 class. That law came about when the (Bike's) aka- rice rockets came about of changing their exhaust on for more power, hence to much to loud on the streets, so Fight this law, and I'll be happy to put my name on this form.!!!!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117
This bill holds no significance in it of its self, but attached bills are why this was really made, and supporters of the people pushing these types of bills will pay up the right people to pass it, and those people stand to gain money and popularity from/in these crowds, and by gaining popularity they gain votes. Screw em. It's hardly enforceable anyway with the wide variety of vehicles out there, and as far as I know the D ratings are not taken by the manufacturers of these cars.
I had an old dodge powerwagon that was straight piped and cammed up man she'd roar like no tomorrow got popped once and it dropped cuz the truck was a 74 I laughed my *** of to see that cops face
Old 05-02-2016, 12:03 AM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z Vert
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I lived in WA for about 8 years and never had any issues with the police. I ran my 89 IROC with no cat, gutted cat, straight pipes, etc. loud as #$%!. I didn't have to smog the 89 IROC anymore but my 91 RS still needed to be smogged. Like the other members here said I think its more for the fart can ricers with obnoxiously annoying mufflers and straight pipes that sound completely horrible. I would not worry about any dumb laws they try to pass up there. The likelihood of any cop there pulling you over and actually looking under your car to see what you are running is probably not gonna happen if at all. As long as you are not driving like a mad man and reving your engine full throttle in front of them like all the tuners are always doing I don't see anything to stress about. I think what they are most concerned about over there are all the speeders. I know they do not play around when it comes to speeding. I am in the military and still register my car through WA state DOL since I can get away with no longer having to worry about smog.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:41 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: LSX 347
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 b&w 9 bolt

One good reason to live on a military installation, is that we have our own set of rules regarding vehicles. No emissions required either.

I've never had a problem with exhaust on anything I've worked on or my own. The law enforcement in Washington has been reasonable since ive moved here. I've also matured some ha. I had my license suspended twice in Colorado, and in Washington I've only gotten one ticket for speeding. I could see the 65 MPH sign up ahead at a bridge threshold right before Wenatchee, but apparently I was in a 35 MPH zone. That has been my only speeding ticket ever.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:20 PM

Loud muffler; small *****?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by John Wolff
Loud muffler; small *****?
only somebody with a slow car. and no girl living in his mothers basement would post something like this..

mother. fish sticks tater tots now please...